The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

28 minutes ago, sidis said:

it is seriously like someone inception'd me or something.  usually i am completely irrational and stupid about buy production software, virtual instrument plugins, a billion different reverbs...  for fuck's sake, i could buy a brand new ferrari for the price i've paid on my different solo violin legato samples.

but i woke up one day, thought to myself, i need a sunburst les paul.  and it has been a seed that has been getting nurtured in quite liberally in my subconscious apparently.

which is weird because i suck at guitar.  but my subconscious is saying "that's just because you've never had a gibson les paul. if you get one, you will sound like prince doing the while my guitar gently weeps solo...obviously"

my very rational mind laughs heartily at such idiotic reasoning while my id hands over $2k for a sunburst les paul.

and the problem is? Im pretty sure everyone who posts on this thread is irrational about buying guitars.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Whenever I hear of something like this, I think of Willie's advice to Kinky Friedman about gambling:

Buying and selling guitars is just a kind of gambling.  It's what you want to do, so go on and do it.  

1 hour ago, sidis said:

it is seriously like someone inception'd me or something.  usually i am completely irrational and stupid about buy production software, virtual instrument plugins, a billion different reverbs...  for fuck's sake, i could buy a brand new ferrari for the price i've paid on my different solo violin legato samples.

but i woke up one day, thought to myself, i need a sunburst les paul.  and it has been a seed that has been getting nurtured in quite liberally in my subconscious apparently.

which is weird because i suck at guitar.  but my subconscious is saying "that's just because you've never had a gibson les paul. if you get one, you will sound like prince doing the while my guitar gently weeps solo...obviously"

my very rational mind laughs heartily at such idiotic reasoning while my id hands over $2k for a sunburst les paul.

Willie's right, and should be everyone's life coach.  You only get a finite amount of time to pursue your passions, then you're worm food. Live it up, @sidis.

I’ve bought a number of guitars while drunk. I was sober when I walked into South Austin Music for some strings and walked out with a burst les paul.

Kicking off straturday early, COVID edition. Actually, I stopped by a guitar shop for the first time since moving on the way home from getting my first round of the Dolly vaccine. Unbelievable. Just a guitar center, and I escaped with my wallet, but I’m prepping for going to the fancy shop to see if they can adjust my ooo15m’s neck 

8C6B53FE-65DD-4264-BC81-668FB2111F01.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Anyone got a 12 string electric?  Whatcha got and how do you like it?  I played a Rickenbacher 12 while in ATX.  It was nice, but I don’t want to have thousands tied up in what will be a small niche guitar.  This hollowbody Gretsch interests me.

15 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Anyone got a 12 string electric?  Whatcha got and how do you like it?  I played a Rickenbacher 12 while in ATX.  It was nice, but I don’t want to have thousands tied up in what will be a small niche guitar.  This hollowbody Gretsch interests me.

Do it

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Gotta make some more money, heh.  Maybe 4-6 months out from buying anything else, but want to start learning what I should be looking at.

I want a Noel Gallagher j-150 but Sweetwater only has 8 and 1 unspoken for. But it’s 4500! It’s only going to increase in value because it’s a limited run but shit that’s a lot of money. He’s one of my favorites tho and it is a j-150. They drop in June 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

I want a Noel Gallagher j-150 but Sweetwater only has 8 and 1 unspoken for. But it’s 4500! It’s only going to increase in value because it’s a limited run but shit that’s a lot of money. He’s one of my favorites tho and it is a j-150. They drop in June 

You need to find a way to do it.  Interest rates are low for a second mortgage😜

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

I have a Danelectro 12 string I got used in the early 00s.  It's been a great player.  Stays in tune, steady as a rock, no neck warping, etc.  

iyrwcqchvantxszyqesq.jpg

It's this exact thing, except no band signatures.  I've often poked around at getting an "upgrade," such as a Strat XII, or the Fender Electric XII, perhaps a Rick or even a Gretsch like you have.  

But this fills that unique and lets' face it - rarely used - niche at a fraction of the cost.  I'd really have to find one of those others at a steal to make it worthwhile.  And is it really an "upgrade" when I've heard about how difficult say, a Rick 12, is to maintain?  I dunno...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I have a Danelectro 12 string I got used in the early 00s.  It's been a great player.  Stays in tune, steady as a rock, no neck warping, etc.  

iyrwcqchvantxszyqesq.jpg

It's this exact thing, except no band signatures.  I've often poked around at getting an "upgrade," such as a Strat XII, or the Fender Electric XII, perhaps a Rick or even a Gretsch like you have.  

But this fills that unique and lets' face it - rarely used - niche at a fraction of the cost.  I'd really have to find one of those others at a steal to make it worthwhile.  And is it really an "upgrade" when I've heard about how difficult say, a Rick 12, is to maintain?  I dunno...

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I played a Ric 12 once.

Once.

Hated it.  Extremely difficult to get chords to sound out, much moreso  than the random acoustic 12-strings I've futzed around with over the years.  I think part of it was the narrow neck.  Wasn't for me.

Cool, thanks for the heads up, and what you said about cost is exactly where I arrived.  I didn’t experience problems playing the Rick like you described, JJ, but it was like $2300, which is way too rich for me for something that won’t get played that much.  I think these Danelectros are like $499 new.  The Gretsch in that vid I posted is at $999 retail. 

Will see if I can find a place to play them both.  The full hollow body on the Gretsch might be nice for acoustic noodling, but again, how often are you going to reach for the 12 string in that circumstance over something else?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Cool, thanks for the heads up, and what you said about cost is exactly where I arrived.  I didn’t experience problems playing the Rick like you described, JJ, but it was like $2300, which is way too rich for me for something that won’t get played that much.  I think these Danelectros are like $499 new.  The Gretsch in that vid I posted is at $999 retail. 

Will see if I can find a place to play them both.  The full hollow body on the Gretsch might be nice for acoustic noodling, but again, how often are you going to reach for the 12 string in that circumstance over something else?

When I was growing up, I played guitar in a church band.  There were two leaders who took turns switching off on their Martin 12 strings.  In that context, the 12 string really added a lot of "oomph."  

• Hook 'Em 1

Free association guitar searching is a good way to go bankrupt.  That's a pretty guitar.  My brother used to have one of these in lake placid blue, and I played it once.  Was a good playing/sounding electric 12.  Looks like this one is only $850 (used), so I guess its an option, too, for something under a grand.

tmxrxtccfirs8wpwzmhf.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/35977020-fender-fsr-traditional-stratocaster-xii

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

When I was growing up, I played guitar in a church band.  There were two leaders who took turns switching off on their Martin 12 strings.  In that context, the 12 string really added a lot of "oomph."  

Towards the end of his life Warren Zevon was doing one man shows that consisted of either a 12 string or a piano.

The 12 string always made songs like Lawyers, Guns and Money or Roland sound like you were still a kid walking on the midway.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Towards the end of his life Warren Zevon was doing one man shows that consisted of either a 12 string or a piano.

The 12 string always made songs like Lawyers, Guns and Money or Roland sound like you were still a kid walking on the midway.

A 12 string won’t get played a ton unless you’re in a Monkey’s tribute band or something, but it’s just perfect for some songs/parts of songs and emulations don’t come close.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Maybe I want to commit marital suicide by guitar, ever think of that? 😜

Wont be getting anything for a bit.  I was just putting something together and was like “this would sound great with a twelve string!”

And now I’m browsing reverb.

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I played a Ric 12 once.

Once.

Hated it.  Extremely difficult to get chords to sound out, much moreso  than the random acoustic 12-strings I've futzed around with over the years.  I think part of it was the narrow neck.  Wasn't for me.

Pretty much the identical experience for me, 360/12 stereo cherry burst with some extra binding. Always dreamed about having one, and one became available when a guy had one on order for a year and bailed before it arrived. I paid full price for it because it was so awesome. I couldn't play it for shit with my fat fingertips. Narrow neck made it seriously hard for me to make chords. Even worse, the thing with two truss rods kept bowing up. I had my music store guy tighten it up a few times and he said he was afraid to push it any more. I decided to sell it and got my money back in full and was relieved.

It was gorgeous and sounded great, other than me not being able to play it. I couldn't afford it in the first place back then. Buying and selling it were both bittersweet experiences. At least I can say I had one.

As Mr. Spock said to his rival in Amok Time, "After a time you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting."

Then a few years ago I bought one of those Danelectro 12 strings on sale for like $300, and it's quite nice and practical, much easier to play. But somehow I really never got the urge, so it stays put up. But it's there when I get a hankerin' and it's not costing me much to keep it.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DougO said:

Pretty much the identical experience for me, 360/12 stereo cherry burst with some extra binding. Always dreamed about having one, and one became available when a guy had one on order for a year and bailed before it arrived. I paid full price for it because it was so awesome. I couldn't play it for shit with my fat fingertips. Narrow neck made it seriously hard for me to make chords. Even worse, the thing with two truss rods kept bowing up. I had my music store guy tighten it up a few times and he said he was afraid to push it any more. I decided to sell it and got my money back in full and was relieved.

It was gorgeous and sounded great, other than me not being able to play it. I couldn't afford it in the first place back then. Buying and selling it were both bittersweet experiences. At least I can say I had one.

As Mr. Spock said to his rival in Amok Time, "After a time you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting."

Then a few years ago I bought one of those Danelectro 12 strings on sale for like $300, and it's quite nice and practical, much easier to play. But somehow I really never got the urge, so it stays put up. But it's there when I get a hankerin' and it's not costing me much to keep it.

Danny 12s for life, yo.

Certified-Gangster-Kip-Peaces-Out-Of-Nap

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We went and played in the studio place for the 1st time in months this weekend. Therapeutic and productive.

Several people from a few different bands share this space, its tight but cheap. The plus is we can share what's in there, in there. So I can try out a lot of gear. I played through that JCM2000 Friday night and now I think ill replace my 1987x with one. Sounded incredible pushed by a Gretsch.20210416_233551.jpg0011af7f689d068418146fdee934fff0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That’s cool. Can we get more info about the space? And specifically how would one find such a space in his own town?

Sure.

I know your in AZ, I think Phoenix. I just googled "Phoenix Rehearsal Space" and got plenty of results. I'll paste below a place that has several locations.

Ours is at Secret Studios here in an industrial part of San Francisco. Its a huge place, probably over a hundred spaces. Big, industrial looking building from the street. Its open 24/7. Gated access and keyed room. Common area in front with vending machines, bathrooms, etc. Its pretty cool to have a vending maching stocked complete with guitar strings! Just long halls with doors on either side to various sized spaces. There's loading dock in the front and some wheeled carts available to help loading and unloading gear.

They are not super cheap for an individual, but since most people only use them once or twice a week at most it helps to find a few people, or a few bands to share one and split the cost. This one houses at least 2 other bands that I know people in, but thats fluid cause some of us are in different projects together - so that could be counted as 5 or 6 bands depending how you look at it. My main band, which is kinda non-existent at this point, gave up our space at another, smaller location when our drummer moved away back in May. That space was at least twice as big and we split it with one other band. Our half of the rent was around $550 a month, which we divided 3 ways within the band because a singer was... nevermind.

For this place we pay $60 per month each. My apartment is small and I have amps, guitar cases everywhere - plus a drum kit, so its worth that just for the storage.  Its double worth it when it actually gets used. We get together and play at my place sometimes, but that always turns into a social event. Having a dedicated work space to create music at anytime of the day or night is super productive. We went in around 10pm Friday and didn't leave till about 3am and it was fantastic. Plus, I'll have a dedicated space to create when I do reform. 

An additional benefit is that everybody you encounter there is someone working on music in some form, so its a great way to meet other musicians, bands, and like minded people. 

https://www.franciscostudios.com/phoenix

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That’s pretty cool. I’ve always sort of fantasized about developing/owning/running one of those spaces.

Me too.  There's a great bread factory close to downtown that would probably be perfect.  It's been empty for ages and I'd always pondered exactly this thing.  But just last week I heard they were turning it into office space.  Exciting!

22 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Just beware that you'll be trying to get money from broke musicians every month.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

When they default, can we have a Storage Wars type bidding situation on the gear left behind in the rehearsal rooms? 

7 hours ago, Goredho said:

I just wish I could get a Joe Bonamassa Signature PRS Silver Sky 12 string.  Heavy relic.

Also comes with a real blues necktie, which you can take off your collar when you want to be a really hard core blues man.

Edited by DougO
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Which is primarily why I’ve never really pursued it in earnest.

You need to cater to the professional crowd. Starbucks kiosk. Well appointed interior. Gear wall rental. "Handling fee" to have gear shipped and stored at the facility to keep the wife in the dark about new acquisitions. Offer relic services at the luthier shop on site...

The possibilities are endless.

No offense. I kinda fit in this demographic too....

97C7C710-8EF9-4CE7-BF0A-0251E8195C6F.jpeg

Edited by topochico
  • Haha 1