The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, topochico said:

You need to cater to the professional crowd. Starbucks kiosk. Well appointed interior. Gear wall rental. "Handling fee" to have gear shipped and stored at the facility to keep the wife in the dark about new acquisitions. Offer relic services at the luthier shop on site...

The possibilities are endless.

No offense. I kinda fit in this demographic too....

97C7C710-8EF9-4CE7-BF0A-0251E8195C6F.jpeg

So, Joe Bonamassa's house?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, topochico said:

You need to cater to the professional crowd. Starbucks kiosk. Well appointed interior. Gear wall rental. "Handling fee" to have gear shipped and stored at the facility to keep the wife in the dark about new acquisitions. Offer relic services at the luthier shop on site...

The possibilities are endless.

No offense. I kinda fit in this demographic too....

97C7C710-8EF9-4CE7-BF0A-0251E8195C6F.jpeg

I think you should open a really upscale, music-themed timeshare.  One where each unit is outfitted with a full-band worth of playable vintage instruments and gear.

I'll be happy to come stay for free for a week while pretending to listen to your craptacular sales pitch only to make off with the '59 burst that was in the room when my stay started.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I think you should open a really upscale, music-themed timeshare.  One where each unit is outfitted with a full-band worth of playable vintage instruments and gear.

I'll be happy to come stay for free for a week while pretending to listen to your craptacular sales pitch only to make off with the '59 burst that was in the room when my stay started.

Let me know when you go so I can get to your house to make off with that new Tele. 

• Haha 1

The spot my (mostly defunct) band "rehearses" at is (a) super clean and (b) has a decent PA and drum kit in each room.  It's a big selling point.
[/b] I do like the idea of an on-site bar.[/b]

Be careful what you wish for. That's the main reason that playing at my house always turns into a social event. Either friends from the bar come up to listen and it turns into a party, or we end up going downstairs to play pool or something. Either way, it turns into a party.

That's largely the plans for my 2nd Bedroom. Deck it out and market it on AirBnB that way. Enjoy your stay in San Francisco above a cool ass neighborhood bar and have access to guitars, drums, etc during your stay. Steps from public transportation and a few blocks from a freeway on ramp.

I just got back from a walk with our bass player and she finally recomitted to music, she's been focused on writing during the pandemic and wasn't sure she had time for us. My first choice for singer, who turned me down when we started, now says she's in and is ready to get to work. Now I just have to find a drummer, and break the news to the old singer. He's been out since the pandemic hit, but there's been no immediate cause to let him know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Back-back in the day there was a music store downtown. One salesman, an aloof jazz aficionado. If you asked about a particular guitar he'd take it down and play the most pretzeled chord shapes I'd ever seen, nor could I duplicate. He'd play for 3-5 minutes, stop, put it back up...& walk away. He recognized a broke untalented guitar player when they darkened the door. Now I'd go in there circa bi-monthly...never touched that 335.

Edited by noharleyyet
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

He's been out since the pandemic hit, but there's been no immediate cause to let him know.

This made me smile.  

One of my later garage bands - I was in my 20's - was with a bunch of guys who I first met when one of them invited me to sit in and just sort of jam and play guitar at their rehearsal.  Until the evening was over, I had no idea how much antipathy there was among the other guys toward the singer.  So when I was leaving and loading out my gear, the drummer followed me to my car and asked me if I could sing.  I told him yes, and he wanted to make sure I could be there for the next week's rehearsal. 

So that week, the drummer called the singer and told him that everybody was super busy, they all had a lot of commitments, etc., and so the band was breaking up.  

Except they didn't break up, they just had a new singer (me).  

Anyway, that became a running joke.  "We quit" was a code for "We're replacing you."

That was a couple decades ago.  The drummer and I still keep in touch even though we live in different cities.  Every year or so, one of us will leave the other a voicemail that says, "Man, I'm really sorry, but we're just super busy and we're not gonna practice for a few weeks..."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Ya man, its too bad. He's super talented and would bring a ton to the table if his attitude wasn't shit. I'm not doing this to get get rich and famous, so i may as well do it with people I enjoy spending time with and who don't act like they are doing us a favor by being there.

With the drummer gone and Jessica quit (mainly because she didn't want to be in a band with him) I was just gonna take the songs, start something new, and call it something else. With Jessica back in and singer i adore, Im just gonna find a drummer and break it to him.  I always intended for us to have a female singer anyway, that way we don't just have a token female on bass; plus something Jimmy Iovine once said about having women sing lyrics written for a man that stuck with me. 

• Hook 'Em 3

That band I mentioned was the "what might have been" band for me.  The drummer was super talented... he plays in a band that still routinely sells out at pretty big venues (House of Blues, etc.) all over the country.  Our lead guitar player was a young wizard with great tone and feel.  I could sing, write, and play guitar and a little keys.

Trouble was, we couldn't reliably fill the bass player's spot.  The guy who was playing bass when I showed up was a few years older than us, and had a new wife and a career as an engineer, and he was sort of "over it" as far as grinding out the commitment needed to be a serious band.  So he nicely told us we should find another bass player.  

In the 90's, there was no internet, and you had to find a bass player by hanging messages at music stores and advertising in the local alternative paper.  So we auditioned 4 different players in consecutive weeks, and my drummer friend and I still marvel at the parade of incompetence that followed. 

One bassist was under the impression that "band practice" meant that everyone was gonna get obliterated on weed and alcohol.  He showed up with a bottle of whiskey, drank the entire thing over an hour or so, and could hardly stand up by the end of the evening, much less play.  I'm sure he's dead now.

Another kid was just out of high school, told us he was just kind of an intermediate level player.  But seemed like a nice kid (we were only a few years older) and told us about his influences, which seemed to demonstrate good musical sensibilities.  So he shows up, sits down.... and I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that he couldn't fucking play **at all.** Had no idea which was the A string, had no idea what "keys" meant... nothing.  I think back about the disconnect between being so utterly clueless and yet having enough self confidence to answer an ad and then show up to audition for a band.  He's probably a congressman now. 

I think it would make a really great premise for a 6-episode Netflix or HBO comedy.... a bunch of 20-somethings in the 90's trying to fill an empty chair in their band.

At one point, the three of us begged the old bass player to just come back for a single night so we could at least run through 15 or 20 songs with a credible low end.  

Eventually, with no bass player, 3 busy schedules, and a couple of personal tragedies (divorce, shocking death in a family), it all just fizzled away.  

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

This made me smile.  

One of my later garage bands - I was in my 20's - was with a bunch of guys who I first met when one of them invited me to sit in and just sort of jam and play guitar at their rehearsal.  Until the evening was over, I had no idea how much antipathy there was among the other guys toward the singer.  So when I was leaving and loading out my gear, the drummer followed me to my car and asked me if I could sing.  I told him yes, and he wanted to make sure I could be there for the next week's rehearsal. 

So that week, the drummer called the singer and told him that everybody was super busy, they all had a lot of commitments, etc., and so the band was breaking up.  

Except they didn't break up, they just had a new singer (me).  

Anyway, that became a running joke.  "We quit" was a code for "We're replacing you."

That was a couple decades ago.  The drummer and I still keep in touch even though we live in different cities.  Every year or so, one of us will leave the other a voicemail that says, "Man, I'm really sorry, but we're just super busy and we're not gonna practice for a few weeks..."

Heh.  What are you doing on Saturday, cause me and the boyz are thinking of breaking up the old band again.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Ya man, its too bad. He's super talented and would bring a ton to the table if his attitude wasn't shit. I'm not doing this to get get rich and famous, so i may as well do it with people I enjoy spending time with and who don't act like they are doing us a favor by being there.

With the drummer gone and Jessica quit (mainly because she didn't want to be in a band with him) I was just gonna take the songs, start something new, and call it something else. With Jessica back in and singer i adore, Im just gonna find a drummer and break it to him.  I always intended for us to have a female singer anyway, that way we don't just have a token female on bass; plus something Jimmy Iovine once said about having women sing lyrics written for a man that stuck with me. 

Ding ding ding ding ding!!!! This right here.  

We just had a blow up in our band where two guys have known each other since high school had a big falling out.  Singer/rhythm player got cross wise with singer/lead player's wife for completely un-band related professional reasons (she's a local school administrator - so kids were involved) and went out of his way to deliberately insult her.  I've known her since 8th grade and she's as good as gold and smart as a whip.  I can't imagine why he would do such a thing, but he did and he did it deliberately.  So he's out.  I thought we were too old for that kind of bullshit but apparently not.  I guess the upside is he's the guy who cared the least about practicing/learning new material if it wasn't his, etc.  

I've often said finding a good band is like finding and maintaining four or five girlfriends at the same time who all get along.   It's work.  

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

That band I mentioned was the "what might have been" band for me.  The drummer was super talented... he plays in a band that still routinely sells out at pretty big venues (House of Blues, etc.) all over the country.  Our lead guitar player was a young wizard with great tone and feel.  I could sing, write, and play guitar and a little keys.

Trouble was, we couldn't reliably fill the bass player's spot.  The guy who was playing bass when I showed up was a few years older than us, and had a new wife and a career as an engineer, and he was sort of "over it" as far as grinding out the commitment needed to be a serious band.  So he nicely told us we should find another bass player.  

In the 90's, there was no internet, and you had to find a bass player by hanging messages at music stores and advertising in the local alternative paper.  So we auditioned 4 different players in consecutive weeks, and my drummer friend and I still marvel at the parade of incompetence that followed. 

One bassist was under the impression that "band practice" meant that everyone was gonna get obliterated on weed and alcohol.  He showed up with a bottle of whiskey, drank the entire thing over an hour or so, and could hardly stand up by the end of the evening, much less play.  I'm sure he's dead now.

Another kid was just out of high school, told us he was just kind of an intermediate level player.  But seemed like a nice kid (we were only a few years older) and told us about his influences, which seemed to demonstrate good musical sensibilities.  So he shows up, sits down.... and I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that he couldn't fucking play **at all.** Had no idea which was the A string, had no idea what "keys" meant... nothing.  I think back about the disconnect between being so utterly clueless and yet having enough self confidence to answer an ad and then show up to audition for a band.  He's probably a congressman now. 

I think it would make a really great premise for a 6-episode Netflix or HBO comedy.... a bunch of 20-somethings in the 90's trying to fill an empty chair in their band.

At one point, the three of us begged the old bass player to just come back for a single night so we could at least run through 15 or 20 songs with a credible low end.  

Eventually, with no bass player, 3 busy schedules, and a couple of personal tragedies (divorce, shocking death in a family), it all just fizzled away.  

I'v heard it works if you post an ad looking for a bass player who's into Husker Du and Peter, Paul & Mary.  Please - no chops. 

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Ding ding ding ding ding!!!! This right here.  

We just had a blow up in our band where two guys have known each other since high school.  Singer/rhythm player go cross wise with singer/lead player's wife for completely un-band related professional reasons and went out of his way to deliberately insult her.  I've known her since 8th grade and she's as good as gold.  I can't imagine why he would do such a thing, but he did and he did it deliberately.  So he's out.  I thought we were too old for that kind of bullshit but apparently not.  I guess the upside is he's the guy who cared the least about practicing/learning new material if it wasn't his, etc.  

I've often said finding a good band is like finding and maintaining four or five girlfriends at the same time who all get along.   It's work.  

Might want to give him an opportunity to say mea culpa and apologize.  I obviously don’t know shit about what transpired, but everyone’s been through a fucking psychological meat grinder the past 12 months.  I’m trying to give everyone in my life and the people under me at work one completely unexplainable fuck up right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Might want to give him an opportunity to say mea culpa and apologize.  I obviously don’t know shit about what transpired, but everyone’s been through a fucking psychological meat grinder the past 12 months.  I’m trying to give everyone in my life and the people under me at work one completely unexplainable fuck up right now.

I'm hopeful this will come to pass, and that's how I've pitched it to the rest of the guys.  The lead guitar player knows him better and says it's never going to happen.  I tend to side with you and remain optimistic over the longer term.  

But we have gigs booked right now, and we can't play them if those two guys literally can't be in the same room together.  We already cancelled one because of this bs.  So the guy who committed the error is out until further notice. 

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Every now and then a film comes along that just nails it in every way. Spinal Tap was such a film. It was funny when I first saw it on VHS and it continues to be relevant. 

A text chain of a mostly non-musician friends were quoting it randomly to each other about the dumbassery of Ted Nugent and his getting covid 19, yet still claiming all sorts of wild conspiracy bullshit about covid 19.  

Apropos. 

Friend bands are a two edged sword. Yeah, it's great to just play with guys you like to hang with. But it's still a band, and band things almost always happen, even when you really aren't supposedly taking it seriously.

The only band i was ever in was one of the best times of my life, with guys that were already my friends. We were learning and it was fun, we hung out and had lots of laughs. Then another guy who was more experienced was invited in to upgrade us and local gig potential and our friends band became his backup band, and they all played his songs that he brought with him from his old band. I got edged out by the new asshole, being the extra unnecessary guitar player that was taking up precious room on his stage and potentially an extra cut from the rock'n'roll dream Pizza Hut gigs.

So I lost my band, that I co-founded and named and almost my entire social life in the same blow. Had nobody left to play with that wasn't either too advanced to play with me or too hopelessly tone-deaf or musically out of sync with to want to play with.

In my observations of other friend bands, there tend to eventually be wife-fights that break them up and cause a lot of bad blood.

Maybe it's better to be in a band with guys that are just musically similar and play good together, but don't necessary have a personal bond. That way when it goes sour you just find another band, much easier than finding new best friends.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

Friend bands are a two edged sword. Yeah, it's great to just play with guys you like to hang with. But it's still a band, and band things almost always happen, even when you really aren't supposedly taking it seriously.
The only band i was ever in was one of the best times of my life, with guys that were already my friends. We were learning and it was fun, we hung out and had lots of laughs. Then another guy who was more experienced was invited in to upgrade us and local gig potential and our friends band became his backup band, and they all played his songs that he brought with him from his old band. I got edged out by the new asshole, being the extra unnecessary guitar player that was taking up precious room on his stage and potentially an extra cut from the rock'n'roll dream Pizza Hut gigs.
So I lost my band, that I co-founded and named and almost my entire social life in the same blow. Had nobody left to play with that wasn't either too advanced to play with me or too hopelessly tone-deaf or musically out of sync with to want to play with.
In my observations of other friend bands, there tend to eventually be wife-fights that break them up and cause a lot of bad blood.
Maybe it's better to be in a band with guys that are just musically similar and play good together, but don't necessary have a personal bond. That way when it goes sour you just find another band, much easier than finding new best friends.

Well this kind of stuff I expected in my 20s. I’m in my 40s and this band has been together 5-6 years with no serious drama.

I thought a certain category of shenanigans was behind me.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

sad ralph wiggum GIF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I'm convinced you'd have better luck finding someone who plays.... trombone or clarinet, or took piano lessons and is musical but isn't a serious player. Give them a bass, explain what the strings are and how frets work, we're playing American Girl on Thursday lets see how you do. I remember auditioning a guy a trillion years ago (as a 15 year old) who wanted to be a bassist. I showed him the easy way to play a song (just the root notes) and then the "cooler" way to do it (with some movement) and he said "oh right, I'll just play the easy way". My only other memory of that guy is fucking around at Camp Strake (cub scouts) and he got hit in the head with a rock, and we were all "you're fine there's just a little bit of blood" and he was relieved, and turned sideways and the entire side of his head was red. Ahhh childhood. Anyways, you don't want someone who *wants* to be a bassist, you want someone who is musical who you let be in a band. You're going to "She's All That" yourself a bassist.

Blasting through your late 20s with a band that's trying to make it is tough times. Shit ton of things going on with my exit from my old band, a big one of course being my alcoholism, but also getting a glimpse into the economics of being a member of a moderately to very successful band....

I'd like to play with some people again. I'm hoping to at some point find my way into something fun with some talented people looking for the same thing (have fun playing with others, do it on a stage every now and then). I was playing acoustic a bit with another guy doing stuff for recovery groups for a few months before COVID, which was kinda fun. But we moved. Prior to that, I got roped into one other band from this lunatic that somehow got hired at my previous job. It was like Nick's audition in the "I'm With The Band" episode of Freaks and Geeks, except with 3 Nicks and I'm everyone else in the room. That guy got fired because he didn't realize that you can't just use your corporate card to buy groceries and xboxes and shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I'm convinced you'd have better luck finding someone who plays.... trombone or clarinet, or took piano lessons and is musical but isn't a serious player. Give them a bass, explain what the strings are and how frets work, we're playing American Girl on Thursday lets see how you do... Anyways, you don't want someone who *wants* to be a bassist, you want someone who is musical who you let be in a band. You're going to "She's All That" yourself a bassist.

Not sure if half-serious, but I believe it's truer than not.  The only exception is you might be lucky enough land a bassist who plays upright and classical, and plays e-bass for kicks/relaxation.  Because let's face it... playing bass is not the most aesthetically fun thing you can do, especially after a few nights of getting used to it.  In rock/pop/etc. the bass is supposed do two things:  1) keep (reinforce) the beat, and 2) usually play the tonic, or at least when it's needed most.  It takes a certain enjoyment of musical limits to be *A* bass player (vs. plays other stuff).  Coming over from piano especially for me, it was mind-numbingly boring at times.

I've played "stand-in" bass here/there for years (didn't own one until 2 years ago), and it's manageable.  Got pretty serious the last 2 years (even bought me a shiny new Fender JB Fiver).  I do take it out here and there, but mostly to dupe songs I need to know how to play, or the main reason - to lay down stuff for my own recordings.  After like doing the song, I'm done for awhile.

I agree with the comment above that often younger dudes take up bass to "be allowed in the band."  It's the easiest by far to play at a level that you can perform rock/pop (again, not talking jazz here, that's a whole 'nother country).  There are times when I love getting into the rhythmic groove on bass, but it usually wears off quickly.

This is also why bassists (to me) are always the hardest to find vs. any other instrument.  Just the way it is, I guess.

37 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Not sure if half-serious, but I believe it's truer than not.  The only exception is you might be lucky enough land a bassist who plays upright and classical, and plays e-bass for kicks/relaxation.  Because let's face it... playing bass is not the most aesthetically fun thing you can do, especially after a few nights of getting used to it.  In rock/pop/etc. the bass is supposed do two things:  1) keep (reinforce) the beat, and 2) usually play the tonic, or at least when it's needed most.  It takes a certain enjoyment of musical limits to be *A* bass player (vs. plays other stuff).  Coming over from piano especially for me, it was mind-numbingly boring at times.

I've played "stand-in" bass here/there for years (didn't own one until 2 years ago), and it's manageable.  Got pretty serious the last 2 years (even bought me a shiny new Fender JB Fiver).  I do take it out here and there, but mostly to dupe songs I need to know how to play, or the main reason - to lay down stuff for my own recordings.  After like doing the song, I'm done for awhile.

I agree with the comment above that often younger dudes take up bass to "be allowed in the band."  It's the easiest by far to play at a level that you can perform rock/pop (again, not talking jazz here, that's a whole 'nother country).  There are times when I love getting into the rhythmic groove on bass, but it usually wears off quickly.

This is also why bassists (to me) are always the hardest to find vs. any other instrument.  Just the way it is, I guess.

I'm an older dude who took up bass "to be allowed in the band."   There were already two guitars in the group and what they needed was a bass.  After years of playing guitar, which I thoroughly enjoy, it was fun to say, "well, if I were playing guitar, this is what I'd want to hear behind me."  I do have to restrain from being too busy on the country stuff though.  Not much room for expounding exploration there. 

I've never played bass, but after having recorded nine bazillion bassists I think the first thing I'd try to get a new bassist to do is figure out decent tone, because most bassists have horrible tone.

And then I'd tell them the two magic secrets of rapid ascension on the bass:  (1) play the root and (2) follow the kick drum.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I've never played bass, but after having recorded nine bazillion bassists I think the first thing I'd try to get a new bassist to do is figure out decent tone, because most bassists have horrible tone.

And then I'd tell them the two magic secrets of rapid ascension on the bass:  (1) play the root and (2) follow the kick drum.

So having come to the bass game later in life, I can tell you that this bass tone thing is no joke.  I have been searching for good tone for several years now.  I don't know if it's the gear, or my fat fingers, but I still haven't found the tone I want and there are other tones I'd like to get but can't seem to dial in.  I have a pretty decent country/country rock tone, but I think I need a tube amp or a tube amp modeler to get what I'm really looking for.  

Current set up is a GK 800rb into an Ampeg 4x10.  Main basses are a 73 Precision and a more recent 2013 American Deluxe Jazz.  I've started leaning heavily on the Jazz as it has a wider tonal variety (despite the N3 pups which people tend to deride) and I'm not scared something will happen to it when I play out.