Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Drayton came in with a lot of skins on the wall and the expectation was that he would recruit incredibly well and develop guys. 

The reality is that he's been terrible on the trail (esp. compared with the common RB Coach - who should be your most dynamic recruiter/rainmaker). He's been even worse in the non-sensical-bordering-on-idiotic RB rotations in game. How many fucking times can we have the wrong guy in for the down and distance/gameplan. Just fucking dreadful. Worse than either of those two steaming piles of dogshit, guys have regressed under him. Going from running with ferocity to thinking and picking. Watching Daniel Young's regression at RB has actually caused me physical pain and you can see him actively THINKING instead of instinctively running. 

He's quite simply the worst member of the staff. Fact. Weakest link, by far. For all the bullshit piled on Giles (some deserving some not) he is fucking MILES better than this charlatan. 

Fuck that guy. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You weren’t though: “He seems to get more credit than he deserves.”

That’s a present-tense statement, and a very dumb one considering how people’s views of him have changed in the last two years. Idk why you’re choosing to ignore that people’s views have changed on him, but your premise that he’s overrated is nonsensical in light of that fact.

I'm not sure you've noticed, but homeboy is struggling today with the basic concept of accountability for the things he writes on the internet. To paraphrase his other posts, stop taking what he types on the internet as something he actually means. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure you've noticed, but homeboy is struggling today with the basic concept of accountability for the things he writes on the internet. To paraphrase his other posts, stop taking what he types on the internet as something he actually means. 

You're on a roll today, CTJ. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Drayton came in with a lot of skins on the wall and the expectation was that he would recruit incredibly well and develop guys. 

The reality is that he's been terrible on the trail (esp. compared with the common RB Coach - who should be your most dynamic recruiter/rainmaker). He's been even worse in the non-sensical-bordering-on-idiotic RB rotations in game. How many fucking times can we have the wrong guy in for the down and distance/gameplan. Just fucking dreadful. Worse than either of those two steaming piles of dogshit, guys have regressed under him. Going from running with ferocity to thinking and picking. Watching Daniel Young's regression at RB has actually caused me physical pain and you can see him actively THINKING instead of instinctively running. 

He's quite simply the worst member of the staff. Fact. Weakest link, by far. For all the bullshit piled on Giles (some deserving some not) he is fucking MILES better than this charlatan. 

Fuck that guy. 

giphy.gif

Listen man, you know I'm generally on board with you, but lets step back this Giles competency shit. You're venturing into crazy land. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

giphy.gif

Listen man, you know I'm generally on board with you, but lets step back this Giles competency shit. You're venturing into crazy land. 

If the assertion is that Giles is shit at recruiting but good at coaching while Drayton is below average at both, it checks out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You're on a roll today, CTJ. 

I thought you were ignoring my posts? That's literally what you said you were doing 20 minutes ago. You're not exactly helping the narrative that you can't be accountable for the shit you type within 20 minute spans you fucking clown. You're on a fucking message board, and one where people are expected to have thick skin and back up the shit they fucking say or get mocked by the masses. If you can't wrap your fucking head around the fact that you contradict what you say within 10 minutes of posting it, or discount what you yourself typed minutes before, as to why folks might fucking call you out and mock you, then let me tell you right now: you're on the wrong fucking website. It might help if you stopped posting 5 fucking posts every five minutes while reading and absorbing nothing like a stream of conscious vomiting meth head with a loose relationship with the truth. 

• Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I thought you were ignoring my posts? That's literally what you said you were doing 20 minutes ago. You're not exactly helping the narrative that you can't be accountable for the shit you type within 20 minute spans you fucking clown. You're on a fucking message board, and one where people are expected to have thick skin and back up the shit they fucking say or get mocked by the masses. If you can't wrap your fucking head around the fact that you contradict what you say within 10 minutes of posting it, or discount what you yourself typed minutes before, as to why folks might fucking call you out and mock you, then let me tell you right now: you're on the wrong fucking website. It might help if you stopped posting 5 fucking posts every five minutes while reading and absorbing nothing like a stream of conscious vomiting meth head with a loose relationship with the truth. 

More useless drivel I refuse to read. You don't have to vomit your entire thoughts onto a post. Just an FYI 

Look, I get that you all seem to have a desire to blast a coach or two in these threads regularly.  I don't understand why, but I've seen it enough now.  First it was Warehime, then it was Giles, then Beck, then Mehringer, now its Drayton and everyone still bashes Giles.  

I look at it like this - Herman knows everyone's strengths and weaknesses.  As a result, a coach will be fired when they are fired.   Whether that be for recruiting or coaching or to just give a current analyst on the staff a spot.  I'm not going to overreact to every $9.95 post or some alumni insider who has some behind the scenes information.   

• Like 4

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Top-performers-football-recruiting-Under-Armour-Houston-129209513/#129209513_11

Some 2020s of interest:

DEMOND DEMAS
Texas A&M 2020 five-star receiver commit Demond Demas from Tomball (Texas) High School earned top honors from 247Sports at Sunday's camp. Demas, who is a five-star prospect ranked No. 29 overall nationally on the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, consistently won 1-on-1 reps and provided big-play punch. The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder certainly passes the eyeball test, but also flashed terrific on-field agility and route-running, especially relative to his size and frame. Demas wins not only with size, but with athleticism and precision.

AKINOLA OGUNBIYI
Moving to the interior offensive line, Texas A&M 2020 four-star offensive guard pledge Akinola Ogunbiyi assembled an impressive performance thanks to his ability to anchor with a strong, sturdy base and at times overwhelm defenders with his phone booth strength. When he locks on, he's not easy to get away from, and Ogunbiyi flashed some encouraging short-area functional agility relative to his position. The 6-foot-4, 310-pounder is ranked No. 213 overall in the 2020 class by the 247Sports Composite.

JA'LYNN POLK
Another receiver who showed consistently good "get open" ability during half-field team work was 2020 three-star wideout Ja'Lynn Polk from the talent-heavy East Texas program at Lufkin High School. Polk looked noticeably larger on the hoof and said he measured in the 6-foot-3, 180- to 185-pound range. Nevertheless, he showed impressive quickness and sudden movements in his route-running. He also did a good job keeping the ball away from his body. Polk is No. 82 nationally among 2020 receivers, according to the 247Sports rankings.

PRINCELY UMANMIELEN
The offensive line was without a doubt very impressive as a unit, but the guys on the defensive side of the ball held their own. With that in mind, Manor (Texas) High School's Princely Umanmielen showed terrific consistency in 1-on-1's and impressed when it came to the proverbial eyeball test. In the 6-foot-4, 260-pound neighborhood, Umanmielen is very long, and his frame could translate to multiple positions in different defensive schemes. He showed good quickness off the ball and even bent the edge a few times, an eye-opening trait for a lineman of his size at his age. The 247Sports Composite rates Umanmielen as a four-star recruit who is a top 20 strong-side end nationally in the 2020 class.

XAVION ALFORD
The stock continues to rise for Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek 2020 defensive back Xavion Alford, who helped his team to a 15-1 record in Texas Class 5A Division I this past fall. The 6-foot-1, 181-pounder owns a safety's frame and projects best there, but showed impressive 1-on-1 coverage ability during Sunday's camp. Alford has absolutely exploded on the recruiting trail during the past several weeks and now owns more than 30 offers. He is ranked No. 36 overall regardless of position in the state of Texas' 2020 class in the 247Sports rankings.

JERRIN THOMPSON
Another impressive DB performance at Sunday's camp came from Lufkin High 2020 four-star standout Jerrin Thompson. Like Alford, Thompson is a projected safety who showed good coverage skills in 1-on-1 reps Sunday. Thompson plays larger than his 6-foot, 175-pound listing and thrives in run support, but he continues to show encouraging development in coverage. Thompson, who owns more than a dozen offers, is ranked No. 30 overall in the Lone Star State's 2020 class by 247Sports.

JAYLON JONES
Cibolo (Texas) Steele 2020 four-star cornerback and Texas A&M pledge Jaylon Jones assembled a solid performance at Sunday's camp, particularly in zone coverage during half-field team drills. We saw him break up two passes in that scenario, including one in the end zone that saw him bait the quarterback into lobbing a corner throw into his territory for what was an easy play for him, but certainly not an easy breakup for most DB's. Jones is ranked No. 101 nationally in the Top247 rankings for 2020.

ALEC BRYANT
Heading back to the defensive line, another Shadow Creek Shark who caught our eye was 2020 four-star weak-side end Alec Bryant. His first two reps during 1-on-1's were among the best speed-rushing reps at Sunday's camp. The 6-foot-3, 230-pounder is quick off the ball and bends well. He shows consistently good arc-running ability off the edge. Bryant, No. 78 overall in the 2020 Top247, owns more than 20 offers from across the country.

UA GAME AND FUTURE 50 INVITATIONS
Five-star wideout and Texas A&M pledge Demond Demas earned an invitation to the Under Armour All-America Game, which will be held in early January in Orlando, Fla. Demas committed to the game on the spot. Three previous UA Game commits also attended Sunday: 247Sports Composite No. 1 overall prospect Zachary Evans, four-star offensive lineman Chad Lindberg, and the aforementioned Texas A&M four-star DB pledge Jaylon Jones. Evans and Lindberg were limited participants in Sunday's camp. Two Future 50 invitations went out to Galena Park (Texas) North Shore 2021 quarterback Dematrius Davis and the aforementioned 2021 receiver Cody Jackson from Richmond (Texas) Foster.

AROUND THE CAMP
-- Another impressive offensive performance came from Fort Bend (Texas) Austin 2020 four-star receiver Troy Omeire, a big-framed wideout in the 6-foot-4, 205-pound range with great athleticism relative to his size. Omeire is a national top 100 prospect on the 247Sports Composite and one of the most heavily-recruited receivers in Texas for the 2020 class.

-- A few more defensive line who flashed during 1-on-1 competition were Stafford (Texas) High School 2020 three-star end Robert Wooten, Fort Bend (Texas) Ridge Point 2020 weak-side end Bryson Stewart, Cypress (Texas) Ridge four-star end/tackle Vernon Broughton, Richmond (Texas) Foster 2020 three-star tackle Chidozie Nwankwo, Spring (Texas) Westfield 2020 tackle Nick Booker-Brown, and Houston C.E. King 2020 three-star end Jessie Evans. Broughton had the defensive line version of Reuben Fatheree's day as he got better as the camp progressed. Stewart, a speed rusher, was the only player who got the better of Donovan Jackson on back-to-back reps. Wooten and Evans also showed impressive edge-bending ability in 1-on-1's. Nwankwo is quick off the ball and a bull at the point of attack. The same can be said for Booker-Brown, who moved well for an interior lineman.

20 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm honestly baffled at how he could recruit everywhere else he's been, yet struggles here. I am glad he got Watson, but we need more than a rental. I guess I'm wondering wtf Herman is thinking. I just still cannot believe we didn't get Teo backs this cycle.

You seem concerned about Drayton as a recruiter.

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

Yeah, I think conventional wisdom is that 6’8”, maybe 6’9”, is where height goes from being beneficial to detrimental in football. It’s just hard to protect knees. I guess a kid who’s athletic enough and strong enough in his lower body could be successful. He’s just an injury away from sacrificing a potential basketball career. 

Calais Campbell is 6’8”. That’s about the tallest I can think of. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

God dammit. Both of you knock it off. My thumb is getting tired of scrolling through 80 lines of both of you finding ways to tell each other to fuck off on multiple threads.

Come on man. You read my posts. I haven't even begun telling this guy to fuck off. That was me actually trying to be helpful. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not sure you’ve noticed but the guy you’re arguing with rides the short bus. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Good news is that rankings updates are coming out this week, so we'll have a fresh batch of tears and BOMC posts to distract ourselves with.

Here's the Rivals top 10:
1. DJ Uiagalelei QB 
2. Zach Evans RB 
3. Justin Flowe LB 
4. Elias Ricks CB - LSU
5. Paris Johnson OT - OHIO STATE
6. Bryan Bresee DE 
7. Arik Gilbert ATH 
8. Sav'ell Smalls LB/DE 
9. Kelee Ringo CB 
10. Justin Rogers OT/DT

Edited by Machinator

Wow.  That's fun.  Hadn't really focused on those rankings at the very top.  Some topics to chew on:

What're the chances we end up with one of those top 10 players?

What about two of the Top 10?

What about three of the Top 10?

If you were Vegas, where would you put the over/under on Texas's five star signees at the end of the 2020 class?

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Wow.  That's fun.  Hadn't really focused on those rankings at the very top.  Some topics to chew on:

What're the chances we end up with one of those top 10 players?

What about two of the Top 10?

What about three of the Top 10?

If you were Vegas, where would you put the over/under on Texas's five star signees at the end of the 2020 class?

I'd set the O/U at 1.5 and smart money would be the under probably 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Good news is that rankings updates are coming out this week, so we'll have a fresh batch of tears and BOMC posts to distract ourselves with.

Here's the Rivals top 10:
1. DJ Uiagalelei QB 
2. Zach Evans RB 
3. Justin Flowe LB 
4. Elias Ricks CB 
5. Paris Johnson OT 
6. Bryan Bresee DE 
7. Arik Gilbert ATH 
8. Sav'ell Smalls LB/DE 
9. Kelee Ringo CB 
10. Justin Rogers OT/DT

I'm a man of simple, achievable tastes. All I want is every guy with a five-letter last name on that list in this class. Is that too much to ask?

(Well, probably for Ricks. But still)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

What is the sound of one man trolling?

Zen monk Victor Hori says:

...in the beginning a monk first thinks a kōan is an inert object upon which to focus attention; after a long period of consecutive repetition, one realizes that the kōan is also a dynamic activity, the very activity of seeking an answer to the kōan. The kōan is both the object being sought and the relentless seeking itself. In a kōan, the self sees the self not directly but under the guise of the kōan ... When one realizes ("makes real") this identity, then two hands have become one. The practitioner becomes the kōan that he or she is trying to understand. That is the sound of one hand.

Of course, he's just one more son of a bitch with a Stanford PhD, so the sound of one hand clapping is what happens when an OL signs with Tree instead of Texas. Bastards.

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Of course, he's just one more son of a bitch with a Stanford PhD, so the sound of one hand clapping is what happens when an OL signs with Tree instead of Texas. Bastards.

With aggy the question becomes "what is the sound of one hand jacking?" aka "can you help me with this?"

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Davis admitted Texas is his second favorite school right now, right behind Oregon. He also said he wants to make a decision after next season, possibly a year from now.

"I like the Oregon facilities, the coaching staff, and those jerseys too," said Davis. "I'll be visiting Oregon in three weeks. It's a lot, but Texas is in it fasho (for sure)."

Did he not hear that we're breaking out orange pants and capes next season?

Has anyone seen any screencaps of the images floating around from this weekend on South End Zone designs? Someone said it was on overshown's snapchat, but plenty of people seemed to see it. I'm really curious if what they had on display was new items and different from what they have shared with potential investors. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Has anyone seen any screencaps of the images floating around from this weekend on South End Zone designs? Someone said it was on overshown's snapchat, but plenty of people seemed to see it. I'm really curious if what they had on display was new items and different from what they have shared with potential investors. 

Not bothering to stop and take screenshots, but the video is here: 

• Like 1