LSU @ Texas Analysis: LSU Offense

sushihorn

6 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

Texas needs their DBs to generate QB pressure and/or a pass rush, which leaves them vulnerable to quick & accurate passing attacks. 

Where as Alabama generates QB pressure with their DL, freeing up everybody else.

So you guys are dying on this “LSU can’t run the ball” hill based off of 1 blowout game?

LSU wasn’t a good running team last year, either. Y’all were 81st in line yards generated and 101st in sack rate.

Your OL sucked last year and they weren’t good Week 1. This isn’t a difficult concept for anyone with an IQ over 70, which explains why you’re not getting it.

7 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

What’s your point? It’s 2019.

Holy shit. You are stupid. Y’all returned 4 of the OL from 2018, so their performance in 2018 is absolutely relevant.

Find one data point, specific to the OL, that they’re good at run blocking. I’ve given you tons they aren’t. 

You just assuming LSU is good at running the ball despite all evidence being to the contrary is fucking hilarious. 

17 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

Texas needs their DBs to generate QB pressure and/or a pass rush, which leaves them vulnerable to quick & accurate passing attacks. 

Where as Alabama generates QB pressure with their DL, freeing up everybody else.

So you guys are dying on this “LSU can’t run the ball” hill based off of 1 blowout game?

Texas uses their DBs for everything because, at some point, there's just a bunch of DBs on the field.

It really just becomes a breakdown of nomenclature. There's certainly a DT. He's designed to cause a traffic accident in the middle of the field. After that, all bets are off. Might be some DEs. Might be up to 3 LBs, but probably 2 or 1. At any rate, they just kind of look like bigger safeties, which is OK, because the safeties a pretty big, too.

Really, the genius of Orlando's D is that anyone can do anything. The offense doesn't know what's coming until the ball is snapped. The guard can be absolutely blocking the LB only to find two safeties (or nickel, or joker, or whatever) running by him. The run called for "4 in the box" suddenly finds 7 defenders run blitzing.

Texas plays with the same 11 players. It has its vulnerabilities. However, if you're not POSITIVE what you're seeing, a "quick pass" becomes a turnover.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit. You are stupid. Y’all returned 4 of the OL from 2018, so their performance in 2018 is absolutely relevant.

Find one data point, specific to the OL, that they’re good at run blocking. I’ve given you tons they aren’t. 

You just assuming LSU is good at running the ball despite all evidence being to the contrary is fucking hilarious. 

Stop with this data point shit. It’s one game. 

Its the equivalent to judging your 2018 season based off the Maryland game.

Edited by DayHeGeaux
Edit
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, DayHeGeaux said:

Its the equivalent judging your 2018 season based off the Maryland game.

I gave you the 2018 stats you dumbfuck. That’s a lot more than one data point for 4 of your OL. Not to mention that 5th OL spot is your biggest weakness, so you’re even less talented than last year.

31 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

We are looking at ALL relevant data rather than homer wish casting.

The last really good LSU rushing attack was 3 years ago during the 2016 season.

In 2017 they were good for 4.79 YPC or #39 nationally so above average but not great.

In 2018 that fell to 4.01 YPC or #91 nationally.  That's not good.

In 2019 it has fallen again to 3.70 YPC against weak competition.  This is nothing new.  It's a trend 3 years in the making.

It's a multi-year trend.  And a fairly obvious one at that.

Edited by sushihorn

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I gave you the 2018 stats you dumbfuck. That’s a lot more than one data point for 4 of your OL. Not to mention that 5th OL spot is your biggest weakness, so you’re even less talented than last year.

It’s a completely different offense. Pro-style vs Spread. 

Throw the 2018 data points away. Do really believe your coordinators and analysts are watching 2018 LSU tape?

• Fuck You 1

Just now, DayHeGeaux said:

Throw the 2018 data points away. Do really believe your coordinators and analysts are watching 2018 LSU tape?

So one data point (GSU) isn’t meaningful, and last year doesn’t count. So STFU and go away until you have some data to support an argument.

2 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

We are looking at ALL relevant data rather than homer wish casting.

The last really good LSU rushing attack was 3 years ago during the 2016 season.

In 2017 they were good for 4.79 YPC or #39 nationally so above average but not great.

In 2018 that fell to 4.01 YPC or #91 nationally.  That's not good.

In 2019 it has fallen again to 3.70 YPC against weak competition.  This is nothing new.  It's a trend 3 years in the making.

And what I’m saying is you don’t have enough data to really speak in absolutes. Everything is still TBD.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, DayHeGeaux said:

And what I’m saying is you don’t have enough data to really speak in absolutes. Everything is still TBD.

I spoke of trends.  No one but you mentioned absolutes.  ALL the data point in one direction.  I understand your eagerness to reject it but I do not respect that position.  My data tell me that LSU's defense is going to be pretty good.  Does my desire for them to suck override what the numbers are telling me?  Not if I'm going to be intellectually honest.

8 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

2018 doesn’t count. 2019 is just one data point and thus irrelevant somehow. 

Then how in then fuck are you so sure about everything you write?

9 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I spoke of trends.  No one but you mentioned absolutes.  ALL the data point in one direction.  I understand your eagerness to reject it but I do not respect that position.  My data tell me that LSU's defense is going to be pretty good.  Does my desire for them to suck override what the numbers are telling me?  Not if I'm going to be intellectually honest.

When you're analyzing data, you have to account for variables (breaking in a new offense and RBs). Your affirmation is faulty and requires more test/data/games. You may be right, you may be wrong it's too early to tell with any definitiveness.

A Trend: a general direction in which something is developing or changing. - You haven't allowed for this. 

While LSU's defense looks promising, I will tell you the same thing let the data play itself out. IT'S ONE GAME IN A NEW OFFENSE.

• Fuck You 2

30 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

I’m not bringing up data points. I’m just saying you don’t have enough data about the 2019 LSU offense.

Man, I hate to feed the trolls, but this one is "special".

So... we don't have enough data points, but you do?

EDIT - okay. cool. hook'em.

I hardly ever neg anyone, I'm not a negger. But sometimes I'm a nagger, and right now, I'm gonna nag surly: ban this asshole. He's either dumber than shit, or he has nothing better to do than keep on keeping on. Fuck him.

Edited by Tex Long

4 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

When you're analyzing data, you have to account for variables (breaking in a new offense and RBs). Your affirmation is faulty and requires more test/data/games. You may be right, you may be wrong it's too early to tell with any definitiveness.

A Trend: a general direction in which something is developing or changing. - You haven't allowed for this. 

While LSU's defense looks promising, I will tell you the same thing let the data play itself out. IT'S ONE GAME IN A NEW OFFENSE.

Man, this has been an impressive performance by you today. You’re reaching levels of stupidity I thought were reserved only for aggy.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Man, this has been an impressive performance by you today. You’re reaching levels of stupidity I thought were reserved only for aggy.

It's nothing but the sort of persistence usually seen only in short-legged dogs chasing hot dog pussy. Judging by the talent images, that's a perfect analogy.

For any of you LSU fans wondering why the Texas fanbase is singularly unimpressed with 55 points in a blowout some history is in order.  LSU is trying to introduce spread concepts.  We see plenty of such teams and we see one every year that LSU looks to be emulating closely with the short game.  Every year that team piles up points against scrub opponents then does little to nothing in the regular season.

2018: 77-0 in game 2.  Final record 5-7.

2017: 56-10 opener.  6-7 finish.

2016: 69-17 opener.  5-7

2015: 69-20 game 2.  7-6

2014: 42-35 game 1 was an omen of bad things; 4-8 overall

2013: 61-13 game 2.  Ended 8-5 but 4-5 in conference.  I could go on with another 12 years of this stuff.

That team is Texas Tech - one of the earliest adopters of passing-based spread concepts.  We don't think, we KNOW that blowing out bad teams with that style of offense proves only that you don't completely suck.  And we have YEARS of data to back that up.  No offense to LSU but we have seen that the hype from those offensive explosions rarely translates against better teams.

• Like 3

I saw someone on here ask how does LSUs dline compared to Georgia because Texas owned them. Well LSUs not good Oline owned them harder. So I'd say LSUs is significantly better. 

Something else I dont really see brought up is Texas also has more question marks than LSU. LSU returns more starters on both sides of the ball. Yes they're doing a more wide open offense but several of the formations they ran out of they did last year too. It's just they're more committed to keeping with it this year, where as last year they made it known it was run first and normally they wouldnt try to open it up til it was out of hand.  I think people are putting too much into the installing a new offense. A lot of it they tried last year just didn't make it primary.  

And I'd say Texas running game is also a bigger question mark than LSUs with only one legit running back ready to go.

I feel like if both teams show up and do their absolute best, that LSU wins by around 10m just because LSU is further ahead of Texas right now. Next year could be different but for this season LSU is further ahead. So I'd say it's more minimizing mistakes to win for both teams.

2 hours ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

I saw someone on here ask how does LSUs dline compared to Georgia because Texas owned them. Well LSUs not good Oline owned them harder. So I'd say LSUs is significantly better. 

Something else I dont really see brought up is Texas also has more question marks than LSU. LSU returns more starters on both sides of the ball. Yes they're doing a more wide open offense but several of the formations they ran out of they did last year too. It's just they're more committed to keeping with it this year, where as last year they made it known it was run first and normally they wouldnt try to open it up til it was out of hand.  I think people are putting too much into the installing a new offense. A lot of it they tried last year just didn't make it primary.  

And I'd say Texas running game is also a bigger question mark than LSUs with only one legit running back ready to go.

I feel like if both teams show up and do their absolute best, that LSU wins by around 10m just because LSU is further ahead of Texas right now. Next year could be different but for this season LSU is further ahead. So I'd say it's more minimizing mistakes to win for both teams.

Delusional. 

11 minutes ago, Girdwood said:

Delusional. 

Actually reminds me a lot of how I felt about Texas back before we'd faced a lot of air raid. Utter bewilderment when first Houston and then Tech, Ok. State, OU, et al. started putting up gaudy numbers against some DLs that would have been good against the WCO or option out of the I, or any of the other old offenses. Until you see it fail, you just don't believe it can.

8 hours ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

Something else I dont really see brought up is Texas also has more question marks than LSU.

Not really.  Texas has question marks at TE, CB2, LB3 and 4 and RB depth.  LSU has questions at 3-4 OL positions, TE, 2 WR positions and a true freshman at CB2.

LSU returns more starters on both sides of the ball.

True but many of the offensive returners are mediocre to below average.  The defense is very good and the quality depth should easily compensate for White, if not Williams.  The OL on the other hand wasn't that good last year and continued to run block poorly against GA So.  Other than Jefferson the WRs weren't special last season either.

Texas will miss Omenihu, Boyd (at times) and Gary Johnson.  The 2 other DL replacements are upgrades vs Nelson and Hager.  Ossai and Foster started in the Sugar Bowl, kicked ass and continued to do so this year.  They're not really new.  Keep in mind that LSU has recruited at a high level for years.  Replacing equal level talent with less experience can be a downgrade.  Texas is replacing top 15-20 level talent with top 3 talent from the last 2 classes.  There is a lot of room for upgrading ability while losing experience with the net being a plus for us.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 1