The Surly Road Cycling Thread

idigTexas

Looked at the carbon bike in person and it has some road rash on the front fork and a few other smaller blemishes elsewhere, but the frame looks fine. The downshifts were fine, but upshifts were a little rough which is surprising (?) I don’t have experience with the 105 group set.

Need to think this one through… 

On 12/7/2023 at 2:57 PM, Superhero said:

Looked at the carbon bike in person and it has some road rash on the front fork and a few other smaller blemishes elsewhere, but the frame looks fine. The downshifts were fine, but upshifts were a little rough which is surprising (?) I don’t have experience with the 105 group set.

Need to think this one through… 

Some fresh shift cables can clean up some of that rough shifting.  Carbon bikes that have had wrecks can have hidden damage also. I’d get a thorough checkout on the frame and fork. 

Think I’m gonna pass on the carbon bike. The shop was really clean and the owner seem pretty knowledgeable, but something just seemed a bit off. Don’t know how to describe it.

I had actually put down a deposit for an aluminum bike week last weekend. They had a black 54 cm Domane in the shop, but I’m waiting for a green one to become available.

• Like 2

@G650 I’m interested in your opinion on the SRAM wireless.  Looking for my next setup. I’m currently on a rim brake Campy Record 11-sp bike.  I enjoy the process of putting the bike together piece by piece, from the hubs out (yes I build my wheels).  Next bike will be 12-sp electronic shifting disc brakes.  

Edited by CycleTex87

15 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

@G650 I’m interested in your opinion on the SRAM wireless.  Looking for my next setup. I’m currently on a rim brake Campy Record 11-sp bike.  I enjoy the process of putting the bike together piece by piece, from the hubs out (yes I build my wheels).  Next bike will be 12-sp electronic shifting disc brakes.  

Um, dim lol. I have to say all my SRAM bikes have been wired though. My good riding buddy has wireless, experience has not been great.

I'm honestly a Shimano guy since the dawn of time. The shift performance and reliability has always far outshone any other brand ( the new crank delam thing notwithstanding). I figured my new bike was a custom Italian build though, so had to be Campy. My only other Campy bike is an old Gitane.

Just hit 3,500 miles for the year. No great feat on road biking, but considering I just started in March, I will take it.

What a year. I started on a hard tail mb with 2.3" tires and wondered why it was so hard to keep up.

Went to a Craigslist cheapo road bike after that.

Then built my titanium all road bike.

I have learned so much and spent so much and still have a huge shopping list. What a sport. Should have gotten onto something cheaper light yachting or polo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Ok.  Help me out @TwiceHorn or any other road bikers in DFW.

My resolution is to get back to cycling.  I think I'm done with soccer.  Two of my last three mountain bike rides sent me to the hospital.  The only problem is that I'm not a huge fan of driving 30 mins to an hour to get to an empty road.  I live in Rowlett, btw.  I've been searching for a bike forum with local info; however, they all seem out of date.  I'm interested in heading out to the Joe Pool Lake area as that seems to be ground zero for decent routes in the area.  I have absolutely zero knowledge of the area, so I'm hesitant to just "try it out" as suggested on another forum.  Any routes you know?  Any forums I can visit for routes?  I'm sure I can find routes on MapMyRide or Ride w/ GPS; however, that's always been hit or miss in my experience.

P.S. I've really, really begun to miss my old stomping grounds at the foot of the Smoky Mountains...

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

19 minutes ago, EastHorn said:

Who makes it?  Looks sick!

Thanks man, appreciate it.

It was hand made by Mattia Paganotti, he is an Italian living in Spain. His brand is Legor Cicli. It took ages to get done, covid really did a number on supplies and stuff for him, but totally worth it. Amazing ride.

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Anyone have experience with Canyon bikes?

A carbon endurance bike with 105 groupset going for $2,200 which seems like a good deal.

I've never had a Canyon personally, but have several friends who have. They are solid bikes, pretty good value because of their direct model. Also highly rated customer service I understand.

A bunch of my group ride Canyons and they love them.  There's a standing joke that "we got another Canyon guy".  I expect that 105 carbon bike is a great entry level nice bike.

Edited by CycleTex87
Canyon's what?
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, midtown said:

Haven't bought a road bike in 20 years but it seems to me that frames are a commodity these days and the component level pretty determines the quality of the bike

Depends. There's a lot that are basically all the same, but some that are materially different. BMC makes a significantly different frameset. And that's just speaking about carbon, not getting into steel, Ti etc..

There's also the argument that the components have become much more similar too. Except SRAM. Fuck that shit.

58 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’m a Ti guy. I like welded pipes. And infinite fatigue life, and no corrosion.  Never ridden a carbon bike.

I love a bit of variety myself, I have two steel, two aluminum and two carbon.

43 minutes ago, Superhero said:

How do you pick which one to ride?

Well, the old steel one is at my shop, one carbon is on the trainer, the other carbon has no wheels since I put them on my new whip, one aluminum is my MTB, so it's just a choice between two. And right now I'm leaning to the Roadmachine X as it's grimy as hell this time of year, plus I'm hitting some gravel trails.

The other steel bike at the shop is an early 70s Gitane. It is pretty sweet actually,  I really should ride it some.

Sorry, I've been all over this thread looking for the right bike (for me). I haven't been on a road bike in over 30 years, Been riding mountain bikes since then, but recently starting riding a paved trail that goes past my house to the beach. So far I've only gotten about 10 miles on my mountain bike. First 5 miles is easy, the riding a slight incline on the way back has been a bitch with my 1x low gearing.

The three bikes I have in contention now are:

1. Trek Domane SL6 (carbon) with Ultera group set - on sale and can get it today for $3000
  2. Trek Domane AL5 (aluminum) with 105 group set, can get this today at $2000
  3. Canyon Endurace CF7 (carbon) with 105 group set - $2200 but not sure when i'll be available again

The first one seems like a no brainer, but it's also $800-$1000 more than the other 2. I'll be new to cycling, and honestly not sure how much I'll be riding. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Sorry, I've been all over this thread looking for the right bike (for me). I haven't been on a road bike in over 30 years, Been riding mountain bikes since then, but recently starting riding a paved trail that goes past my house to the beach. So far I've only gotten about 10 miles on my mountain bike. First 5 miles is easy, the riding a slight incline on the way back has been a bitch with my 1x low gearing.

1. Trek Domane SL6 (carbon) with Ultera group set - on sale and can get it today for $3000
  3. Canyon Endurace CF7 (carbon) with 105 group set - $2200 but not sure when i'll be available again

The first one seems like a no brainer, but it's also $800-$1000 more than the other 2. I'll be new to cycling, and honestly not sure how much I'll be riding. Thoughts?

The Canyon is probably the sweet spot tbh

• Hook 'Em 1

Trek carbon isn't a bad option if you really want it soon.  The only thing that drives me crazy on Trek is how proprietary they try to make some things but that is less of an issue on those bikes.  I don't think you'll hate it.  Worst case scenario you get really fast and want to upgrade to G650 territory which would be a plus overall.  

Some huge percentage of Al frames are made by Kinesis in Taiwan, like 80%.They are the TSMC of bike frames.  I think that's true of carbon, too; although there are more proprietary carbon frame layups and designs, at least in MTB. But that's getting toward boutiquey, like G650's rig.  If you're buying a "mass market" bike, you're probably getting a Kinesis frame, or something not much better.

So, yeah, frames are a bit of a commodity, at least in terms of quality.  Some are going to have geo that you want and are available only from certain mfrs, accordingly.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 1:34 PM, Superhero said:

Get a good cheap bike off of FB marketplace or Craigslist in the 500 to 1000 range. Ride for six months to see if it sticks.

If you love it then you will have a benchmark for new purchase.

Most of us don't ride well enough to warrant even a mid grade road bike.

Bikes are pretty simple. We make them complicated.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Guess what I found on FB marketplace.

A Trek Domane SL5 in near new condition. Just a very small scratch on the bottom bracket. The owner threw in pedals, carbon bottle holder and a bunch of other accessories.

It was a bit above my budget, but 40+% off of a new SL5.

Black and burnt orange. 🤘

IMG_1808.thumb.jpeg.fc7ef71e17ef24376c3321eeba8bc9d7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

29 minutes ago, G650 said:

Hell yeah dude

Thanks. This is a similar bike as the one I mentioned further up this page. But this one was in newer condition.

Since I don't have experience with clipless pedals, I put on a set of Shimano PD-EH500 pedals which had clip-in on one side and flat on the other.

5 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Since I don't have experience with clipless pedals, I put on a set of Shimano PD-EH500 pedals which had clip-in on one side and flat on the other.

C'mon man, commit!

Once you get used to it, flats feel very weird.

Now that I have a rode bike, am I expected to wear spandex? Because I don't want to wear spandex.

Where I live, everyone riding is fully kitted out, spandex, riding glasses, live strong bracelet like they're Lance Fuckin' Armstrong. I just want to ride the mountain to sea trail that runs past my house without looking like I'm going to race the Tour de France.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Now that I have a rode bike, am I expected to wear spandex? Because I don't want to wear spandex.

Where I live, everyone riding is fully kitted out, spandex, riding glasses, live strong bracelet like they're Lance Fuckin' Armstrong. I just want to ride the mountain to sea trail that runs past my house without looking like I'm going to race the Tour de France.

Spandex or not, your ass with thank you to have some padding in your bike shorts.

• Like 1