The Surly Road Cycling Thread

idigTexas

22 hours ago, Superhero said:

Guess what I found on FB marketplace.

A Trek Domane SL5 in near new condition. Just a very small scratch on the bottom bracket. The owner threw in pedals, carbon bottle holder and a bunch of other accessories.

It was a bit above my budget, but 40+% off of a new SL5.

Black and burnt orange. 🤘

IMG_1808.thumb.jpeg.fc7ef71e17ef24376c3321eeba8bc9d7.jpeg

Nice bike.

On 1/16/2024 at 2:50 PM, Superhero said:

Now that I have a rode bike, am I expected to wear spandex? Because I don't want to wear spandex.

Where I live, everyone riding is fully kitted out, spandex, riding glasses, live strong bracelet like they're Lance Fuckin' Armstrong. I just want to ride the mountain to sea trail that runs past my house without looking like I'm going to race the Tour de France.

We must live in the same state!  Some mountain bike shorts have an inner liner with chamois and outer liner is more like "shorts".  But once you find bib shorts that you like there is now going back.  I prefer MAAP.  

• Like 1

There are practical aspects to all the road cycling specific clothing items that once you’ve ridden a good distance over several hours, you will really appreciate those qualities, and you won’t go without after that.  And you’ll get over the self consciousness feeling quickly.  90% of amateur road cyclists don’t have a perfectly trim shape like the pros. Nobody cares. 

Edited by CycleTex87
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 11:20 AM, Superhero said:

Thanks. This is a similar bike as the one I mentioned further up this page. But this one was in newer condition.

Since I don't have experience with clipless pedals, I put on a set of Shimano PD-EH500 pedals which had clip-in on one side and flat on the other.

That's how I role, but my bike is  an all road and I switch out wheels for gravel and light trail on occasion. It's nice to use the flats.

Congrats on the new ride! Highly recommend that you get the bike fitted by a professional bike fitter. Unlike on a mtb, you’ll be in pretty much the same position the duration of your ride. Got an old bike fitted at the start of the pandemic and made a huge difference in comfort and handling. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just wanted to show off my new rear hub that my shop got in from Phil this past weekend. All the mechanics at the shop were giddy as I doubt they'd seen a Phil Wood lately or ever in person. Not the lightest but probably the strongest.
IMG_20240122_131237_752.thumb.jpg.0318d48d7f742309cf1680bb5d1bc2db.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, midtown said:

Just wanted to show off my new rear hub that my shop got in from Phil this past weekend. All the mechanics at the shop were giddy as I doubt they'd seen a Philwood lately. Not the lightest but probably the strongest.

But what does it sound like?

On 1/21/2024 at 5:09 PM, destroya said:

Congrats on the new ride! Highly recommend that you get the bike fitted by a professional bike fitter. Unlike on a mtb, you’ll be in pretty much the same position the duration of your ride. Got an old bike fitted at the start of the pandemic and made a huge difference in comfort and handling. 

Thanks, will do that.

The Trek store recommended I get a 54cm bike, so that's what I got. But now that I've ridden it a bit, it seems a tad large. Hopefully a fitting will help me find a comfortable riding position.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 hours ago, midtown said:

Just wanted to show off my new rear hub that my shop got in from Phil this past weekend. All the mechanics at the shop were giddy as I doubt they'd seen a Phil Wood lately or ever in person. Not the lightest but probably the strongest.

Sexy as hell

9 hours ago, midtown said:

Old school hub and bulletproof wheel.  Work of art really. 

Went for a ride last weekend wearing a t-shirt. Now I get why people wear jerseys. Lots of wind resistance even though the t-shirt clearly shows my father figure. I bought a jersey and will wear it if the weather cooperates.

Now... a dumb novice question. When you want to turn left on the street, do you got into the left turn lane with the cars? Or should I just go to an intersection, hit the pedestrian light to cross? I've never ridden on the road, and am intimidated by the traffic and cars. Does that fear gradually subside? There's a fantastic biking trail close to my house, but I have to make a few turns to get on it and back.

On 1/16/2024 at 4:35 PM, CycleTex87 said:

Nice bike.

Man that is a sweet rig..the Domane..I really quit riding road bikes when my bike got roasted in my house fire.  Since then, the cell phone idiots scare me too much to jump back in right lane...

I've ridden on the road in traffic for 30+ years.  You have to act like a car, pay careful attention to what the cars are doing around you, and yes, to turn left, check over your left shoulder, and when it's clear, move to the left turn lane.

• Prepare your anus 1

19 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I've ridden on the road in traffic for 30+ years.  You have to act like a car, pay careful attention to what the cars are doing around you, and yes, to turn left, check over your left shoulder, and when it's clear, move to the left turn lane.

So have I including stints in Houston, NYC, and San Antonio with access to the Hill Country.  I've ridden all over Manhattan in and out of traffic, taxis, busses etc. Shit even got to ride through the Lincoln tunnel. Riding in Texas is far more dangerous and scary. Not to mention the law in not on the cyclist side. Fortunately for us here in SA we have miles and miles of paved trail around the city. 64 mile circumference.  Having said that.  It's definitely dangerous mostly because the runners and walkers don't pay attention and wear ear buds and cant hear you call out.  Yes they have the right of way but you can't just do a uturn without looking.

I'd rather hit a runner than be hit by a car.  With this in place I have found zero reasons to ride on the actual roads anymore.

This in an old map but it's completed now.

https://www.sanantonio.gov/Portals/0/Files/Parks/Linear Creekways/HWP-Greenway-Trail-Map.pdf?ver=2023-11-28-165237-177

Edited by midtown

I do my road bike just about every weekend and have for decades.  A couple days ago I was in a hotel and they had a Peloton bike in the fitness room.

I created a free account and did a Canary island ride.  I didn't have my cycling shoes but the petals had SPD brackets on one side and old school clips on the other.  I haven't used clips since the early '80s. 

With one big exception, I was impressed with Peloton.  The geometry of the bike is very different than my Trek, but it seemed like a reasonable setup. The variable resistance was well done, the screen and video was pretty cool,  over all, a mostly enjoyable ride...

BUT...when we went up hills and they encouraged you to stand up, the bike is 100% fixed left/right.  In real life your bike rocks left-right when you stand and climb.  For me this dropped the experience back down from really riding a bike to riding a stationary bike.

I know there are other higher end virtual bikes that target serious cyclists but I don't know if any of the others feel 'real'

On 1/31/2024 at 12:02 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

I do my road bike just about every weekend and have for decades.  A couple days ago I was in a hotel and they had a Peloton bike in the fitness room.

I created a free account and did a Canary island ride.  I didn't have my cycling shoes but the petals had SPD brackets on one side and old school clips on the other.  I haven't used clips since the early '80s. 

With one big exception, I was impressed with Peloton.  The geometry of the bike is very different than my Trek, but it seemed like a reasonable setup. The variable resistance was well done, the screen and video was pretty cool,  over all, a mostly enjoyable ride...

BUT...when we went up hills and they encouraged you to stand up, the bike is 100% fixed left/right.  In real life your bike rocks left-right when you stand and climb.  For me this dropped the experience back down from really riding a bike to riding a stationary bike.

I know there are other higher end virtual bikes that target serious cyclists but I don't know if any of the others feel 'real'

A cycling friend of mine likes the peloton buke because of its rigidity. He likes the contrast and ability to isolate his form.

Hey dudes, I'm changing out the groupset on my gravel/winter training bike, and I'll have a SRAM Rival HRD 1x set available. I figured I would see if anyone here wanted it? I'd pretty much accept any offer down to free, I really just want to see it used and not tossed out. It's totally functional, just rode yesterday, only has some scuffs from usual wear and tear. I probably would suggest new cables though.

Here is the group for info

https://planetcyclery.com/sram-rival-1-hrd-groupset

I also have a Stages L power meter that goes on basically any SRAM crank I'd let go for like 50 bucks.

On 2/10/2024 at 6:00 AM, G650 said:

Hey dudes, I'm changing out the groupset on my gravel/winter training bike, and I'll have a SRAM Rival HRD 1x set available. I figured I would see if anyone here wanted it? I'd pretty much accept any offer down to free, I really just want to see it used and not tossed out. It's totally functional, just rode yesterday, only has some scuffs from usual wear and tear. I probably would suggest new cables though.

Here is the group for info

https://planetcyclery.com/sram-rival-1-hrd-groupset

I also have a Stages L power meter that goes on basically any SRAM crank I'd let go for like 50 bucks.

Interested in the power meter.

Tell me more. I am running dub bb with the whole 1x12 speed flat  chain deal. Force.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Yeah, I was trying to figure out the spindle size though.

@Jiggy-Z, unfortunately it looks like you have the full MTB style DUB, and the PM is a regular old GXP SRAM.

Yeah, I had a gxp bb in with my old 11 speed set up, but changed it out to update.

The good news is, if I ever decide to go electronic, all I will need is the shifters and rear derailleur for the xplr set up.

Thanks anyway.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Will be Austin with a group of C riders and would like to find a ride of about 30 to 40 miles with minimal car traffic if possible. Doesn't have to be Austin proper and bonus if good eats along the ride. Thanks 

4 hours ago, APEX said:

Will be Austin with a group of C riders and would like to find a ride of about 30 to 40 miles with minimal car traffic if possible. Doesn't have to be Austin proper and bonus if good eats along the ride. Thanks 

Check out Georgetown Cyclopaths.  They have Saturday group rides and also have 100+ routes mapped on their website.  Find one riding from Andice and you can end with a great burger.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

OK Surly 1% road bikers, it's time to show your quality by donating to end MS in our lifetimes.

I had a good response last year for this deal so I expect no less this year from such a well heeled group. I've been training hard and working through a groin injury, so the least you can do is throw in a little for the cause. Thanks assholes.

Send me a PM for my rider link for this year's MS 150. Anything helps and there is a custom amount box too.

They take almost all forms of payment except Diners Club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I have a conflict the weekend of the MS ride here in Va. unfortunately or I would love to ride.

Yes. It is a bit of a commitment for the weekend. Plus fund raising and logistics.

I am pretty amazed by the participation this event gets considering that at least 75% of the riders are pretty slow. No big deal and good on them for getting out there, but I just don't see how spending 7+ hours in the saddle on each day with rides lasting into the hot afternoon can be any fun.

Even more amazing is that most of that 75% are repeat and multi year riders.

Hell, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I sure do like not waiting in line for a shower.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 8:40 AM, Jiggy-Z said:

Awesome. This #2 for me.

Virgin here....for the MS150. For RAGBRAI, if you are a newbie, it's encouraged to write VIRGIN on the back of your calf.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...