Texas Approves $100M Licensing Deal

Cairn Horn88

CLC is more of a licensing management company. They're the guys who do the tedious work like vetting the products, forming the contract terms, and auditing the returns. Someone like Nike might approach the University leadership directly with terms, but if you're making guitar picks or metallic car emblems, you'll submit your proposal to CLC. They'll tell you what you can and can't do and how much it'll cost you.

More importantly, they'll police the University's rights. If you're making unlicensed gear, you'll hear from CLC.

Someone on TOS had some real-world insight on UT licensing business.

But Nike is a provider of team equipment.  As a result, they get some rights to apply the marks to consumer/retail goods, which pretty clearly treads into the former 289c now CLC territory.  Not sure where the line is drawn, but the amount of Nike gear has always been pretty small.

It will be interesting to see what 289c (we are texas) stuff sticks around.

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

The craze was just before I moved to Texas, but tell me one of y'all still rocks a Longhorn Starter(tm)  jacket each holiday season?  

I've got one but hardly if ever wear it. Mostly burnt orange with some black accents. What I really want is an old school Letterman jacket. Those are fucking sweet. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

The sky comma

Bruh, it’s comma to da top.  

Also, thank you for reminding me about my starter jacket I had almost 30 years ago. I wish I could find that thing and give it to one of the kids.  Tough times dealing with all the little aggys shit when they were cheating and doing pretty good.  Probably melted away in my parents attic. 

6 hours ago, MrPhlegm said:

I've got one of those. it is over 25 years old. got it at the starter outlet in Hillsborough. wasn't looking for texas gear just stretching our legs and taking a leak on the way to dallas. wandered in and there it was. the color was honest to god burnt orange. which was a shock as all the rest of the starter Texas gear I had seen was that hideous tenn orange. it was the right size and 20 bucks so I bought it.

b02806c5fb40eb23f1ae5efc5bd81a1d.jpgcf7420a41e71d87365f44bb61b0442a1.jpg

Nice wicker.

vodka GIF

On 12/10/2019 at 12:32 PM, TwiceHorn said:

From the bolded, it seems like the rather limited and shitty selection of apparel and headwear may have been cause for the change.  

I can believe that.  Simple burnt-orange caps with a Longhorn logo are either really shitty these days, or if they are the older/better ones, hard-to-find in my experience.  I hate looking for a new cap.  I end up facing a wall of mostly multi-color caps that look like they were designed by somebody's twelve year-old in photoshop, and then some factory in Bangladesh cranks them out before anybody actually looks at them.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Got an email this afternoon from 47Brand with a huge announcement that Dallas Cowboys merch is now available.  Does that mean Texas is not far behind?

That might indicate that 289c, which is headed by Charlotte, has gone out of the licensing biz and is not trying to be the exclusive licensee for either Longhorn or Cowboy stuff.  Or at least is opening it up some.