Chris Ash Defense

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Its the Big 12. Yards are a pretty useless stats in today's game. The offense and ST has done a good job of giving offenses short fields. The 4 OT game helps skew the stats. We're 40th in total defense.

I'm saying the defense kept us in the TCU and OU games while the offense flat out went missing for large stretches of the game. 

I'd contend the offense announced its presence to all present with a megaphone and then proceeded to take a steaming pile of shit for all to witness. But otherwise I agree

• Hook 'Em 1

Its the Big 12. Yards are a pretty useless stats in today's game. The offense and ST has done a good job of giving offenses short fields. The 4 OT game helps skew the stats. We're 40th in total defense.
I'm saying the defense kept us in the TCU and OU games while the offense flat out went missing for large stretches of the game. 
Defense came out and dominated ou first series and Rattler was clearly shaken.

Offense comes out and turns the ball over within about 10 seconds of possession time, putting the defense back on the field with a short field.

By the time the offense decided to wake up, the D had been on the field for an insane % of the game. They had the ball 50% more time than we did in a very long game, and OU does not exactly play ball possession. 3 and outs and turnovers through the meat of the game will do that.

Defense wasn't amazing by any stretch, but they did enough to beat ou against ou's strength. Offense against ou's weakness laid a big egg other than about 8 minutes of total play time.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Baylor is very worried about Charlie Brewer's next hit. They want to minimize (eliminate) his QB running.

That's a problem, because their OL is, well, not adequate. If ever Texas wanted to mount a pass rush, Saturday would be ideal. Brewer hasn't changed. If you give him time, a receiver will get open (that is, jog to the middle of the field). If he's pressured, he'll flee the pocket and chuck it.

1 minute ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Baylor is very worried about Charlie Brewer's next hit. They want to minimize (eliminate) his QB running.

That's a problem, because their OL is, well, not adequate. If ever Texas wanted to mount a pass rush, Saturday would be ideal. Brewer hasn't changed. If you give him time, a receiver will get open (that is, jog to the middle of the field). If he's pressured, he'll flee the pocket and chuck it.

So he’ll rush up the middle for 120+? Got it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

(Jeff Howe) Chris Ash: 'Simple math' adding up to an improved Texas defense

As Texas gets ready to take on sixth-ranked Oklahoma State, Chris Ash’s defense is coming off the best performance the unit has produced since conference play began with a forgettable showing in a 63-56 overtime win at Texas Tech on Sept. 26. Last weekend’s 27-16 win over Baylor saw the Longhorns hold the Bears to 4.9 yards per play while putting up their best numbers in Big 12 play for first downs allowed (22), total yards allowed (316), rushing yards allowed (64), yards per rushing attempt allowed (3.0) in addition to Baylor enjoying a 5-for-14 afternoon on third down (35.7 percent conversion rate).

How was a defense that gave up consecutive 200-yard rushing performances in losses to TCU and Oklahoma and allowed a season-high 5.8 yards per play in the win over Texas Tech able to put a much more palatable product on the field? In his weekly media availability on Wednesday, it’s all about “simple math” as far as the first-year defensive coordinator is concerned.

“It's reps,” Ash said. “The more reps we get doing the same thing over and over and over, the better we're going to be. As we go through the season, we're getting more and more reps. Again, we have a number of players in positions that have never played these positions before.”

A few of Ash's charges who made offseason position switches had a big hand in Texas (3-2, 2-2 Big 12) snapping a two-game losing streak heading into Saturday’s (3 p.m.) battle with Oklahoma State (4-0, 3-0). Ta'Quon Graham (moved from 4i defensive end to three-technique defensive tackle) had a tackle for loss and a quarterback hurry; Joseph Ossai (moved from the B-backer in the previous defensive scheme to the JACK position under Ash) had three tackles and was getting heat on Baylor’s Charlie Brewer before suffering a second-quarter shoulder injury; Moro Ojomo (moved from an interior position in the previous defense to a true end position under Ash) had one sack and 1.5 tackles for loss; DeMarvion Overshown (moved from safety to WILL linebacker) had five tackles and a touchdown-saving pass breakup; Chris Adimora (moved from safety to SPUR, Ash's hybrid nickel defender) had four solo tackles and helped the Longhorns limit the Bears to only two running plays of 10 or more yards (a long gain of 11 yards) and only three explosive passing plays (15 yards or more) with no gain from scrimmage of more than 21 yards.

With Juwan Mitchell enjoying his best game of the season at MIKE linebacker (12 tackles, two tackles for loss), Ash credited the bye week between a 53-45 quadruple-overtime loss to Oklahoma and the win over Baylor for giving his crew the necessary time to continue the ongoing process of getting comfortable running his system.

“Overall, collectively, when you put those things together, we keep getting better every day,” Ash said. “That's our focus. That's it. It's not about who we're playing, it's not about where we're playing, it's not about stats. At the end of the day, our focus defensively every day is to somehow get better and I think we're doing that. Even in some of the games where people might not feel like we played well, we got better at certain things. That's really what we're focused on and what's driving us and our players are motivated by that because they see the improvement, too.”

Ash knows Texas has drawn a tough assignment on Saturday trying to slow down the Cowboys, an offensive attack that leads the Big 12 in rushing offense (No. 19 in the country with 216.3 yards per game) and is spearheaded by All-American Chuba Hubbard (119.5 yards rushing per game ranks second in the conference) and features the league’s leader in receptions per game (six) and yards receiving per game (100.2) in 2018 Biletnikoff Award finalist Tylan Wallace. With that said, he’s happy with the culture the Longhorns have established on defense and Ash is hoping to see the improvements turn into a winning performance over four quarters on the turf at Boone Pickens Stadium.

“I don't feel any resistance towards what we're asking guys from a technique, a schematic or a work standpoint,” Ash said. “I think they're all bought in. They believe in what we're doing. They're motivated by the improvement that they see each day on film and I'm really, really pleased with that. We don't have ego problems. We don't have selfishness on defense right now that I have witnessed at all. I'm really pleased. I enjoy coming to work every day with these guys and that's why we're getting better.”

7 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

316 yards and 24 points. in one half. the defense is definitely a problem today.

It's like you don't think the offense contributes to that total when they can't stay on the fucking field.

5 punts

1-7 on third downs.

3 - 3 and outs.

6 1st downs.

Sam playing like shit except for 1 drive.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's like you don't think the offense contributes to that total when they can't stay on the fucking field.

5 punts

1-7 on third downs.

3 - 3 and outs.

Sam playing like shit except for 1 drive.

Their very first drive was an effortless 86 yard practice against air. They scored 14 points in the first qtr. 21 with 8:15 left in the 2nd qtr. Bit early to blame offense for that, IMO.

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

And right after that 75 yard TD drive, which lasted about 4 minutes and included an end of quarter/ commercial break, the defense immediately gave up another touchdown on OSU’s next possession which lasted less than 3 minutes. You think it’s because they were tired? 

I agree that bad offense is partly to blame for defensive struggles, but not when you give up 21 points less than halfway through the second quarter.

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

And right after that 75 yard TD drive, which lasted about 4 minutes and included an end of quarter/ commercial break, the defense immediately gave up another touchdown on OSU’s next possession which lasted less than 3 minutes. You think it’s because they were tired? 

I agree that bad offense is partly to blame for defensive struggles, but not when you give up 21 points less than halfway through the second quarter.

Uh no. The defense forced an INT on the next possession, and returned it inside the 10. Texas picked up 5 yards and kicked a FG to take the lead.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Uh no. Texas took the lead 17-14. So it would be impossible for your scenario to have happened.

You’re right, the defense was on the field for 3 more plays. My point still stands though. I agree that the offense is a much bigger issue, but I don’t think fatigue was a factor in the first  20 minutes of the game.

On 10/21/2020 at 1:27 PM, El Hornarino said:

Ash: "We noticed that our alignment where nobody is in the middle of the field allows offenses to get yards right up the middle."

The coaching didn't even notice that or surely, they'd call a time out.  That shit was embarrassing.  

Feels like if the corners could learn to cover without committing PI the defense would actually be a very good group. It's infuriating how they face guard and never get a head around. Jamison got his head around on a ball today and surprise, he nearly intercepted it. It almost feels like opposing QBs love underthrowing their receivers knowing we will never turn around and look for the ball.

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Feels like if the corners could learn to cover without committing PI the defense would actually be a very good group. It's infuriating how they face guard and never get a head around. Jamison got his head around on a ball today and surprise, he nearly intercepted it. It almost feels like opposing QBs love underthrowing their receivers knowing we will never turn around and look for the ball.

Yeah, I think it was mentioned at HT of the Michigan-MSU game that a lot of deep balls are underthrown in college. If you can learn to turn around and play the ball, there would be a lot more INTs. Hell, Sam alone contributes to this statistic.

15 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

oh  its being taught in practice the young dbs have already taken to it but the older dbs have not they wont change 

there was a video from fall practice that showed freshman db barron turn his head & play the ball 

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

That's true, but the alternative is letting them get beat. Ash was super-focused on stopping Chuba Hubbard, he had to pick his poison and he picked Sanders vs. our DBs on islands.

(Also Sterns was out of position a lot, which doesn't help).

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

oh  its being taught in practice the young dbs have already taken to it but the older dbs have not they wont change 

there was a video from fall practice that showed freshman db barron turn his head & play the ball 

Ugh well then that guy needs to play. It's just so dumb, they are in position to make plays if they just play the damn ball. A lot of what fucks this defense up are dumb PI penalties and just generally bad ball skills.

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Ugh well then that guy needs to play. It's just so dumb, they are in position to make plays if they just play the damn ball. A lot of what fucks this defense up are dumb PI penalties and just generally bad ball skills.

well that and guys running wide the fuck open.