Chris Ash Defense

LTtxfan

Chuba had 72 yards on 25 carries.  Fewer than 3 per.

Ash committed to stopping him and succeeded.  And with a less-than-stellar LB corps.

That left us open to Wallace with our defective backs.  They still haven't gotten over the shitshow of the last three years.

I'm reasonably content with the defensive performance.

The offense is another story altogether.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Happy to see Texas bring the house on the last play.

Turns out bringing the house can actually be effective when it's a surprise, and doesn't involve sending in safeties from Timbuktu! Who would've thought.

Edited by satyanash

The defense stopped the run but was shit against the pass unless they got pressure. They need to innovate and mix in some disguised blitzes. 

Offense was not good today especially Sam for most of the game but let’s not act like they have been consistently terrible, they came in today ranked 1 in the conference. Both sides need a lot of improvement.

the offense has been masked by overtimes.  they disappear for long stretches and when the D sets them up they fail to capitalize consistently.  Our WR are a huge step down from what we had last year, Sam has regressed(I do feel this is somewhat due to his lack of trust in the OL and not having Dev Duv to bail him out) and our OL is arguably worse.

Ash isn't much better.  guys running wide open all over the field, safeties who can't get to their spots.  

Herman got damn lucky Gundy's player decided to go Colorado 2001 Big 12 championship game or this is an L.  A good O would have had this as a 20 point win in regulation.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Chuba had 72 yards on 25 carries.  Fewer than 3 per.

Ash committed to stopping him and succeeded.  And with a less-than-stellar LB corps.

That left us open to Wallace with our defective backs.  They still haven't gotten over the shitshow of the last three years.

I'm reasonably content with the defensive performance.

The offense is another story altogether.

I have to give Hutzler credit - he’s done a damn good job turning Overshown into a LB with minimal practice and very little camp time.  I’m excited to see what that kid can do after a season of experience and another camp. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the offense has been masked by overtimes.  they disappear for long stretches and when the D sets them up they fail to capitalize consistently.  Our WR are a huge step down from what we had last year, Sam has regressed(I do feel this is somewhat due to his lack of trust in the OL and not having Dev Duv to bail him out) and our OL is arguably worse.

Ash isn't much better.  guys running wide open all over the field, safeties who can't get to their spots.  

Herman got damn lucky Gundy's player decided to go Colorado 2001 Big 12 championship game or this is an L.  A good O would have had this as a 20 point win in regulation.

Agree with all of this except I think Ash is a definite improvement over Orlando.  Secondary coaches don't seem to be getting it done, but their guys had several years of bad habits to overcome, and not a lot of time to do it.

Offense still has Herman's sticky fingerprints all over it and WR are a mess.  Some of that may be attributable to years of Meh and months only to overcome it.  Hand seems to be regressing.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Agree with all of this except I think Ash is a definite improvement over Orlando.  Secondary coaches don't seem to be getting it done, but their guys had several years of bad habits to overcome, and not a lot of time to do it.

Offense still has Herman's sticky fingerprints all over it and WR are a mess.  Some of that may be attributable to years of Meh and months only to overcome it.  Hand seems to be regressing.

yes the OL under Hand is the biggest disappointment easily, including recruiting.  what the fuck with our 15 year OL bullshit.  that is the thing that Urban would fix right away.  

At least we didn't have a drive killing chop block yesterday.

On Ash, yes better than Orlando for just letting Ossai be Ossai but the DB's are atrocious and that is supposed to be his area of positional expertise.  He did take away Hubbard. he is an upgrade from Orlando in that it appears he can scheme to take away something at least.

I'm still totally flabbergasted about our performance at home against TCU.  no reason to lose that game and was the nail in Herman's coffin.

48 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Sucks it took so long, but now that the D is finally learning Ash's plan they're playing out of their minds. Too bad in the end it won't matter for Herman. Maybe UM will keep him. I like this D

Big 12 will figure him out, just lie they did with Orlando, Bedford, and Diaz. The real question is how well the unit can keep it up in the long-term.

Just now, satyanash said:

Big 12 will figure him out, just lie they did with Orlando, Bedford, and Diaz. The real question is how well the unit can keep it up in the long-term.

Gotta bring in better players, but right now that isn't happening since the Purge. We lost a 5* corner in Bowman to fucking ou. We have to out-talent teams in this conference, and that won't happen with no one coming in. Hell, we can't do it now with multiple 4-5* kids, so with Herman it won't matter, anyway. 

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Wrong as usual. He’s a solid coach that focuses on fundamentals. He’s not relying on scheme like those guys so there’s not a ton to figure out. We’ve improved every week on defense and you can tell the guys are being coached up. That wasn’t happening under the other coaches. Orlando was just catching teams off guard with scheme. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Wrong as usual. He’s a solid coach that focuses on fundamentals. He’s not relying on scheme like those guys so there’s not a ton to figure out. We’ve improved every week on defense and you can tell the guys are being coached up. That wasn’t happening under the other coaches. Orlando was just catching teams off guard with scheme. 

Spot on. This is what happens when you finally find a non-PlayStation coordinator. Focus on sound fundamentals. Teach players their assignments. Let their athleticism speak for itself. It’s not rocket surgery.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 2:59 PM, PsychMike said:

That said,  I don't understand why we fared so poorly on all of the WR screens.

This is so true.

Maybe because our offense/scout team runs them so poorly our D doesn't know how to defend a well executed one. 

On 9/30/2020 at 1:05 PM, Bodacious Bevo said:

Bit late to the conversation on defense but I wanted to talk about our upside and ceiling on that side of the ball

I charted all of Tech's traditional run plays (i.e. handoffs) from the weekend (there's probably a couple errors but w/e). Their average yards before contact (YBC) was .55 with half of my charted plays involving contact at or behind the LOS. That's really really good. I can't find a college football YBC stat, but the lowest YBC of any NFL RB last season was 1.2. So .55 is likely an elite number. I think it speaks to the ability of our front 6 to get penetration while maintaining gap integrity. Seriously, all of our DL take turns getting in to the backfield and Overshown/Mitchell, for all their flaws, have been good about meeting RBs in the right gaps. We lost containment on the edge a couple times, but there is enough athleticism and physicality in the secondary to minimize the damage that would cause. All in all, Tech ball carriers only got to the secondary untouched twice on Saturday (once on a jet sweep, once when because Overshown was being held very clearly but there was no call).

Of course, YBC sounds good but doesn't matter if you can't get the guy to the ground. That's why their team had 4.8 YPC, an extra 4.3 yards after contact (YAC). 2 extra yards would be fine, maybe even 3, but 4+ is god awful. Derrick Henry led the NFL at 3.2 YAC last year. Everybody knows that tackling was absolutely horrendous so I'll just add that there's no real reason for any of us to expect significant improvement. We'll be better than we were against Tech, but I'm just going to expect double digit missed tackles per game. (That's one per drive! Pretty dismal) 

So when I look at this Texas defense, the hope has to be that they shore up tackling just enough to be an elite run defense (Overshown could accomplish this by himself) and make teams one dimensional. Of course, Big 12 teams will happily throw all over you. And that's gonna happen. We have athletes at LB and DB but they're not as well developed as the skill players they'll be lining up against. So I expect teams to light us up in the air, but I also think we can steal a couple possessions per game with negative plays and turnovers. I think if we can end up with a ppg average (conference only) around 27-30 (that's the same level as OSU, WVU, and TCU last year and slightly better than our own) that our offense should be good enough to win 9+. Hell, OU won the conference giving up 37.6 in 2018, although our offense won't be that consistent. 

So to finish up: is our defense going to be good? No. Can it be good enough to win the big 12? Yes. Marginal improvements in tackling will make us an elite run D. Shore up LB drops in pass coverage and the pass rush and we're on track for a CCG berth. 

Ok so checking back on this comment I made after Tech. I thought that some minor improvements would make our defense good enough to win the conference. And those improvements have been made, specifically in tackling and LB play. Our DBs still get beat but I've come to accept that as part of life. Just do other things well and you can still play winning defense. I said 27-30 ppg would be good enough to get us to 9 wins and a CCG. We're allowing 30.2 PPG in regulation in conference play. Given our remaining matchups, I bet we get under 30 by the end of the season. 

Now that 9 win CCG berth was assuming our offense was going to be good. So fuck me for trusting Herman to not shit all over his side of the ball I guess. 

Lastly, Joseph Ossai.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Can anyone explain what the defensive call was on the 1Q touchdown vs Iowa st?   Some crazy corner blitz with no rotation to cover the wr.   And of course sterns misses the tackle but that’s the least offensive part of the play.  

Have no idea. At the snap the CB on the boundary hesitated then came on a late blitz, and it looked like that CB was on skates. ISU then sent two verticals with the TE and WR. Brown covered the TE and Sterns had no hope of getting over to the WR.

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Have no idea. At the snap the CB on the boundary hesitated then came on a late blitz, and it looked like that CB was on skates. ISU then sent two verticals with the TE and WR. Brown covered the TE and Sterns had no hope of getting over to the WR.

It’s just hard to explain.  We haven’t had any crazy calls like this all year.  How the hell did it happen after seven games.  

Can anyone explain what the defensive call was on the 1Q touchdown vs Iowa st?   Some crazy corner blitz with no rotation to cover the wr.   And of course sterns misses the tackle but that’s the least offensive part of the play.  
If that play was the call, it should have had a kill or the safety should have been rotating over just before the snap.

12 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

When the boundary CB blitzes the safety is supposed rotate over the top, Sterns blew his assignment and then blew the tackle as well.