Chris Ash Defense

LTtxfan

41 minutes ago, Aces_Full said:

Ingram is slow.  Roschon is around the same speed but tougher, smarter, better blocker.  All around better RB.  

ROSCHON & Robinson should get the bulk of the carries.  Ingram is not the answer.  

Now on defense?  LOL.  Good luck with that mess.  LB play is bad.  Walk on is our best gl football player at LB.  4 & 5 star DBs giving 10-15 yard cushions?  Why?  Why play soft coverage?  Where is the run defense? Commit an extra man to the box & let the DBs go compete.  

What’s kind of intriguing about the defense yesterday was how many times Texas was a step too late in hitting duggan for a sack or more probable incompletion. It makes me wonder if the DBs pressed more to throw off timing, if we would have been more successful. Maybe not, but who knows 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

What’s kind of intriguing about the defense yesterday was how many times Texas was a step too late in hitting duggan for a sack or more probable incompletion. It makes me wonder if the DBs pressed more to throw off timing, if we would have been more successful. Maybe not, but who knows 

Doesn’t matter.  We’ve been committed to not trying it for nearly a decade plus.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm on record saying Herman isn't the guy but it's a little early to reach conclusions on Ash. He inherited an absolute dumpster fire of a defense and basically didn't have an offseason to work with them. If the players were better at tackling and playing the ball in coverage, our defense would be doing fine. Both seem to have improved since last year although still bad. We'll see if they get better going forward.

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm on record saying Herman isn't the guy but it's a little early to reach conclusions on Ash. He inherited an absolute dumpster fire of a defense and basically didn't have an offseason to work with them. If the players were better at tackling and playing the ball in coverage, our defense would be doing fine. Both seem to have improved since last year although still bad. We'll see if they get better going forward.

This is my take too. There was no spring ball, limited summer/fall ball.  He barely had 3 weeks to put out a complete dumpster fire and try to completely overhaul an awful defense. He inherited a team with basically no LBs and really poor coverage backfield. I don't think you can judge the product right now and say "oh he sucks".

A little too early to panic on Ash but the results so far haven’t been great. 33 points should have been good enough to win. Texas should have been able to put up 34 or more against that defense. They have to find LB’s and hopefully learning Ash’s scheme will produce results as the season continues.

43 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

A little too early to panic on Ash but the results so far haven’t been great. 33 points should have been good enough to win. Texas should have been able to put up 34 or more against that defense. They have to find LB’s and hopefully learning Ash’s scheme will produce results as the season continues.

Well timed penalties kept us on defense longer than we should have been and made it much harder for our offense to put up points.

Combine that with big drops and a couple of turnovers, and it's a miracle we even put up 29

• Hook 'Em 1

I really hope, for Ash's sake, that the open middle formation was some kind of mistake/miscommunication by the back 7. I find it hard to believe that a coordinator with his background and success would do something as bizarre and idiotic against a mobile quarterback. This is the same DC that stonewalled Marcus Mariota and the Oregon Ducks back in the first CFP Championship game. I just don't understand what happened there.

Putting that  bizarre anomaly aside, it's still to early for me to pass judgment on Ash's potential. A drastically abbreviated offseason could not have come at a worse time. Our defensive players have not been taught sound fundamentals for three years. The amount of bad habits that have to be coached out of our athletes is staggering. Even with a full offseason worth of practice, we would still see some poor play under live fire. This particularly true at the linebacker level, where TO left us incredibly thin at LB. It's a bit ironic, considering that his idiotic 3-man tite front defense relies on great LB play. One of our linebackers is recently converted safety and another is a complete headcase who should not be starting. I'd like to see more of what Cort and Gbenda can do. The DBs have a fair share of problems as far as coverage skills and eye control that needed at least a full offseason to address. 

While I've lost almost all hope with the offense, I still think there's a chance our defense molds into a somewhat serviceable unit if Ash is up to the task of un-fucking the players.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, taybo20 said:

I think our guys are being coached not to leave their feet when approaching the QB, instead of lunging for a tackle.  Watch the video below carefully.  Notice how Juwan stutter steps when he's a few feet from the QB and loses momentum in the process.   WTF?  Why does he not leave his feet and lunge for the tackle?  I've seen Ossai miss a sack or two in previous games because he didn't leave his feet too.  My only explanation for this is them being coached not to leave their feet in hopes of a deflection.

Edited by Hmmm

2 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

I think our guys are being coached not to leave their feet when approaching the QB, instead of lunging for a tackle.  Watch the video below carefully.  Notice how Juwan stutter steps when he's a few feet from the QB.   WTF?  Why does he not leave his feet and lunge for the tackle?  I've seen Ossai miss a sack or two in previous games because he didn't leave his feet too.  My only explanation for this is them being coached not to leave their feet to hope for a deflection.

Leaving your feet and lunging are what leads to missed tackles. 

2 hours ago, Aces_Full said:

Ingram is slow.  Roschon is around the same speed but tougher, smarter, better blocker.  All around better RB.  

ROSCHON & Robinson should get the bulk of the carries.  Ingram is not the answer.  

Now on defense?  LOL.  Good luck with that mess.  LB play is bad.  Walk on is our best gl football player at LB.  4 & 5 star DBs giving 10-15 yard cushions?  Why?  Why play soft coverage?  Where is the run defense? Commit an extra man to the box & let the DBs go compete.  

Dude, seriously. When he made that catch and was running to the endzone he looked like he was running in quicksand when he got caught from behind. He's slooooooooow

2 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Leaving your feet and lunging are what leads to missed tackles. 

Agree in some instances, but this was a Sergio Kindle knock your helmet off Tech type of sack that could have happened.  I don't think Duggan gets the ball off if Juwan goes for a tackle.  He loses so much momentum breaking down and approaching the QB.

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Butbutbutbut, urban Meyer said he was the best hire of the off-season!  

Ill give the defense some credit, they were able to at least pressure the qb more than I have seen in recent memory.  If they can do the same against rattler then he's good for at least one int.

Yeah, he's said that more than once. But what do you bet that as soon as he's hired Ash's ass will be the first one fired?

2 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

I really hope, for Ash's sake, that the open middle formation was some kind of mistake/miscommunication by the back 7. I find it hard to believe that a coordinator with his background and success would do something as bizarre and idiotic against a mobile quarterback. This is the same DC that stonewalled Marcus Mariota and the Oregon Ducks back in the first CFP Championship game. I just don't understand what happened there.

Putting that  bizarre anomaly aside, it's still to early for me to pass judgment on Ash's potential. A drastically abbreviated offseason could not have come at a worse time. Our defensive players have not been taught sound fundamentals for three years. The amount of bad habits that have to be coached out of our athletes is staggering. Even with a full offseason worth of practice, we would still see some poor play under live fire. This particularly true at the linebacker level, where TO left us incredibly thin at LB. It's a bit ironic, considering that his idiotic 3-man tite front defense relies on great LB play. One of our linebackers is recently converted safety and another is a complete headcase who should not be starting. I'd like to see more of what Cort and Gbenda can do. The DBs have a fair share of problems as far as coverage skills and eye control that needed at least a full offseason to address. 

While I've lost almost all hope with the offense, I still think there's a chance our defense molds into a somewhat serviceable unit if Ash is up to the task of un-fucking the players.

The fact that they lined up this way and gave up a qb draw td earlier in the game, then lined up this way late and gave up a qb draw td says it’s not an alignment mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

I guess he joined our entire linebacking corps (well, except Ossai) who apparently announced like the day before the game or something.

Don't blame them a bit. I would want to get the fuck out of dodge as well. Neither the HC nor D coordinator have any semblance of a vision for the program and/or a play calling system.

On 10/4/2020 at 12:26 PM, Hmmm said:

I think our guys are being coached not to leave their feet when approaching the QB, instead of lunging for a tackle.  Watch the video below carefully.  Notice how Juwan stutter steps when he's a few feet from the QB and loses momentum in the process.   WTF?  Why does he not leave his feet and lunge for the tackle?  I've seen Ossai miss a sack or two in previous games because he didn't leave his feet too.  My only explanation for this is them being coached not to leave their feet in hopes of a deflection.

I don’t think you can look at anything Mitchell does and say it’s coaching. The guy’s just an undisciplined football player who constantly makes dumb mistakes. He wasn’t being coached to get absolutely no drop in his zones against Tech, hut that’s what he did all game anyways. 

On 10/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, Handcruser said:

I think I need a front four of Collins/coburn/sweat/graham. We have to stop the run first and pressure the qb.

Line up ossai and bj/do behind them.

Brown/adimora/jamison/jt/sterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you want to pressure the QB, then playing 4 DTs and moving your best pass rusher off ball is a terrible way to do it. Ossai’s also probably our second best run defender behind Coburn. He gets a ton of TFLs in the run game without giving up the edge very often. Our standard run D has been good. We don’t need to bulk up the DL. If anything having faster, more agile DL will help against the QB runs, which is what’s been getting us. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Dele having surgery on shoulder is a HUGE hit to LB depth... DAMN!!!

Eh. Dele sucks. He’s way too slow. Jacquess is better and Mitchell’s about a wash. I guess it’ll be a problem if two more guys get hurt, but I don’t think you can consider someone as bad as a Dele a huge hit. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Herman is the head coach and i've noticed  things about the offense and defense with new coordinators:

Outside of formation both look exactly the same to me and i can't notice a difference. missed tackles and shitty secondary coverage for the defense. I'm glad you went to a 4 man front but if the end result is we suck on defense i don't give a fuck what formation you run.

All of America said this. Was exact same formation. So stupid. 

Yep, I paused the TV and asked my 8 yo son who has played 2 seasons of non-competitive flag football, “what should the qb do here?”

Answer: “run to the open space in the middle”

I mean I know next to nothing about football and I was able to coach 8 year olds this concept.

8 year olds, dude.

On 10/4/2020 at 12:01 PM, Tex-19 said:

Why is our defense a dumpster fire tho? We’re easily the most talented defense In the Big12  yet K-State, ISU, and TCU 3 stars look better.

14 hours ago, El Squared said:

Anyone  have an justifiable explanation for this defense scheme and lineup?

Channeling Dohrlandoh.

It should be noted that on that play Duggan did not go up the middle but outside where everyone was lined up...

Well executed play, Overshown had to read it and get over quicker, Ojomo had to not completely bite on the WR motion and Sterns had to do something other than just watch. (Dele got consumed by the pulling guard)