2018 Texas Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

Texas signee Jack Neely tells MLB teams that he’ll play for the Longhorns

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/6/5/17431022/jack-neely-2018-mlb-draft-texas-longhorns-baseball

With the 2018 MLB Draft currently underway, Texas Longhorns head coach David Pierce and his staff are hoping that as many signees as possible opt to play college baseball over jumping to the professional level out of high school.

On Tuesday, San Antonio Churchill right-handed pitcher Jack Neely announced on Twitter that he’ll fulfill his commitment to the Longhorns

28 minutes ago, BRHorn said:

So with Kingham and Shugart slipping out of the top 10, does the entire weekend rotation return next season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't bet on Kingham returning. Torre made a good point in the draft thread about suspensions for academic reasons. I don't think Kingham has been at Texas to "play school". I think he's probably looking to go pro. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Here's the Perfect Game recruiting rankings for '19. Currently 9th but a lot of teams above us are losing a bunch of signees to the draft. We've only lost 1 so far. 

https://www.perfectgame.org/rankings/Recruiting/CollegeCommits.aspx?ID=1829&g=2018

Idk how baseball coaches can deal with recruiting. If you have a great early eval on a guy, he might blow up, get drafted and now you have a hole in your class. It seems like it would be really difficult to identify talent that is good but not too good and manage numbers on top of that when you have signees who may or may not go pro and you have current players that are question marks too. Gotta be difficult to manage the roster year in and year out. I guess a more robust JUCO market than other sports helps, but still. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Idk how baseball coaches can deal with recruiting. If you have a great early eval on a guy, he might blow up, get drafted and now you have a hole in your class. It seems like it would be really difficult to identify talent that is good but not too good and manage numbers on top of that when you have signees who may or may not go pro and you have current players that are question marks too. Gotta be difficult to manage the roster year in and year out. I guess a more robust JUCO market than other sports helps, but still. 

It is definitely a much harder job in that respect than football or basketball.  Add in the distraction of current players watching the draft in the middle of a playoff run.

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Would be a major steal if it happens, but I have my doubts. A lot of people had him projected in the top 4 rounds. 

Isn't that the reason he's likely to sign w/ Texas?  The bonus is about $125K in this round, as opposed to whatever he would have received in the 4th round.  If he goes to college, he can increase his value tremendously.

9 minutes ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

Isn't that the reason he's likely to sign w/ Texas?  The bonus is about $125K in this round, as opposed to whatever he would have received in the 4th round.  If he goes to college, he can increase his value tremendously.

Probably right but I tend to agree with Valmy above. 

If Holland makes it to campus we would have one of the most athletic teams in the country. The other issue is a logjam in the outfield. 

Who is the odd man out? Hibbeler, Todd, Ellis, Shaw and potentially Holland. 

I won't be shocked if Hibbeler gets an opportunity at 1st next year with McKenzie gone. I think Texas tried that out in the WV series from what I recall. 

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If Holland makes it to campus we would have one of the most athletic teams in the country. The other issue is a logjam in the outfield. 

Who is the odd man out? Hibbeler, Todd, Ellis, Shaw and potentially Holland. 

I won't be shocked if Hibbeler gets an opportunity at 1st next year with McKenzie gone. I think Texas tried that out in the WV series from what I recall. 

Hibbeler might also get another shot at 2nd. 

11 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Hibbeler might also get another shot at 2nd. 

Maybe, but don't forget about Western Kentucky transfer Bryson Smith. 

I've heard he is really good. This is Smith at WKU. Middle infield could be really salty defensively next year with Smith and Hamilton. 

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17939841

Edited by texasstrong12

Vanderbilt has the top class this year, next year and already 10 top 100 in 2020? That's impressive. 

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Here's the Perfect Game recruiting rankings for '19. Currently 9th but a lot of teams above us are losing a bunch of signees to the draft. We've only lost 1 so far. 

https://www.perfectgame.org/rankings/Recruiting/CollegeCommits.aspx?ID=1829&g=2018

18 minutes ago, Yama Yak Yachtzi said:

Where do you think we end up if only Woods-Richardson goes pro?

Not sure but:

A&M is just ahead of us at #8. They will lose 3 in Rodriguez, Naylor and Englert. 

Louisville at #7 will likely lose 2 in Schnell and Kelenic. Maybe 3 in Wright. 

Miss State at #6 had 6 or 7 signees drafted. Not sure how many are expected to sign though. 

Tennessee is at #5 and they're only ranked high because they have 25 signees. It looks like most of their top prospects were drafted too. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

I think Holland will come to Texas

Is he Sid's kid? If so, I'll be watching what he does. Sid is the best hitting coach I have seen work in person. He is also very connected to MLB and would not send his kid to beat the bushes if he was not mentally prepared to deal with MiLB. 

12 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Is he Sid's kid? If so, I'll be watching what he does. Sid is the best hitting coach I have seen work in person. He is also very connected to MLB and would not send his kid to beat the bushes if he was not mentally prepared to deal with MiLB. 

yeah. 

Sid played at San Jac under Wayne Graham. Damn, this is all coming full circle. 

On 5/16/2018 at 2:17 PM, texasstrong12 said:

There's going to be a lot of names thrown at the wall like there was with Texas, because Miss State is a good job. 

Throwing out names like McDonnell and Schloss doesn't mean they are actually going to land them. 

Ended up being right but I know TCU fans were worried about losing Schloss. I had several TCU fans DM me on twitter that thought he was gone. 

Regardless, this Miss State coaching search is not going well. They are on about their 6th or 7th option now. Mississippi State should just hire Whitting at UH, I think he would kill it there. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I do not think that a search is going poorly just because you get turned down a lot. It depends on the goals of the search. If you really are going after only the very best coaches well you can expect to be turned down. They are at places they where they are loved and winning. A high risk/high reward search is going to get turned down several times unless you just get lucky like Texas did in 1996.

Edited by Valmy77

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I do not think that a search is going poorly just because you get turned down a lot. It depends on the goals of the search. If you really are going after only the very best coaches well you can expect to be turned down. They are at places they where they are loved and winning. A high risk/high reward search is going to get turned down several times unless you just get lucky like Texas did in 1997.

Cohen (Miss State's AD) said they were going to make a home run hire with CWS experience. Getting turned down isn't the issue. 

The issue is their AD talked a big game and he better back it up now.