2018 Texas Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

On 5/18/2018 at 10:49 PM, Horny Bull said:

Wow. Sorry if already posted, but this team was 9-9 and on a 5-game losing streak when Augie died. Since then, they've gone 28-9 and taken 5 of 6 from Tceh and Frog to win the conference.

Magic of baseball, indeed. Augie has to be looking on somewhere and loving this shit.

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Send aggy's ass to Stanford.  They are "hot" right now.

Stanford got bitch-slapped 7-0 last night @ Washington.  I know it's a game that matters zero to the Cardinal and everything to the Huskies post-season hopes.

Edited by petscii

High RPI. But 17-17 in the SEC, lost in the quarterfinals of the SEC tournament and finished T-7th in the SEC. Total guess but I won't be surprised if Texas gets a regional bid over Auburn even though they have a higher RPI. RPI matters but we will see how much the committee values RPI. Are they going to give the team that T-7th in the #1 RPI conference a regional bid over the team that finished 1st in the #2 RPI conference? 

Edited by texasstrong12

Auburn has a very similar resume as Texas did in '14. Both had high RPIs but Texas didn't receive a regional bid because of conference finish/record. 

Auburn '18: 15-15 SEC, T-7th in SEC, 2-2 in the SEC tournament, #12 in RPI. 

Texas '14: 13-11 Big 12, 5th in Big 12, 2-2 in the Big 12 tournament, #12 in RPI. 

All you want from the committee is consistency. They punished us in '14 (even with a high RPI) so we will see what they do with a team like Auburn. 

Edited by texasstrong12

SEC hosts the last 5 years: 

'17: LSU (21-9), Arkansas (18-11), Florida (21-9), Kentucky (19-11), 

'16: LSU (19-11), A&M (20-10), South Carolina (20-9), Florida (19-10). Vanderbilt (18-12), Ole Miss (18-12), Miss State (21-9)

''15: LSU (21-8), A&M (18-10), Florida (19-11), Vandy (20-10)

'14: LSU (17-1-1), South Carolina (18-12), Florida (21-9), Vanderbilt (17-13), Ole Miss (19-11)

'13: LSU (23-7), South Carolina (17-12), Vandy (26-3), Miss State (16-14)

Worst conference records to get a regional bid in the last 5 years were Miss State at 16-14 and Vanderbilt 17-13. Auburn finished 15-15 in the SEC. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

Not since the big 12 started has the regular season conference champion not hosted.

I only went back 11 years but I'm going to guess this is also the case with the #2 RPI conference. 

It would likely be the first time the Big 12 champion and #2 RPI conference champion hasn't hosted. 

Guest Lobo
11 hours ago, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

Not since the big 12 started has the regular season conference champion not hosted. I highly doubt they would not do it this year when the conference was the second best conference in the country. 

Rpi is an important metric. It is not the metric

And that streak will be preserved this year by pure geography.  Most other years with multiple teams from Texas, Louisiana, the Desert Southwest, and Oklahoma in the mix...we'd be left out as a #2 seed.  But other than Lubbock, there's not a viable host site between Austin and Fayetteville for hundreds of miles in every direction.  That OKC showing was brutal and I don't know that we're one of the 16 best teams in the country.  But we are fortunate nobody around us has put together a better resume (save for those two previously mentioned programs). 

So Kendall  is saying

-  Committee favors its member's teams ?

-  Texas is afraid of aggy ?

Am I correct in thinking that as a 15/16 seed host there will be a highly ranked 2 seed and overall stronger field in Austin ? 

Edited by torre

25 minutes ago, torre said:

So Kendall  is saying

-  Committee favors its member's teams ?

-  Texas is afraid of aggy ?

Am I correct in thinking that as a 15/16 seed host there will be a highly ranked 2 seed and overall stronger field in Austin ? 

I think he's saying based on the fractured relationship it's unlikely Texas and A&M play each other with the Longhorn AD on the committee. 

17 hours ago, Lobo said:

And that streak will be preserved this year by pure geography.  Most other years with multiple teams from Texas, Louisiana, the Desert Southwest, and Oklahoma in the mix...we'd be left out as a #2 seed.  But other than Lubbock, there's not a viable host site between Austin and Fayetteville for hundreds of miles in every direction.  That OKC showing was brutal and I don't know that we're one of the 16 best teams in the country.  But we are fortunate nobody around us has put together a better resume (save for those two previously mentioned programs). 

Something else to keep in mind is the #1 RPI conference (SEC) will get at least 4 regional hosts. Maybe 5 if Auburn gets a regional bid. The #3 RPI conference (ACC) will get 4 regional hosts. Maybe 5 if Louisville gets a bid. 

I think the committee is going to have a hard time selling this 

#1 RPI conference-4 or 5 regional bids (SEC)

#2 RPI conference-1 regional bid if you exclude Texas (Big 12)

#3 RPI conference-4 or 5 regional bids (ACC)

Just from a logical standpoint that's tough to sell even if you dive deep into other metrics like SOS, RPI, and group 1 wins. The #3 RPI conference is deserving of 3 or 4 more regional bids than the #2 RPI conference? 

Guest Lobo

^
Great points.  Didn't think of the ACC really, but yeah---that just doesn't look good (or even "fair") on paper.  So geography and conference concentration will both help us tremendously this year.  So would have picking up 1 or 2 wins against an absolutely shittastic side of the bracket kin OKC, but here we are...

Guest Lobo

Well, it's 8 of these 10:  Clemson, Oregon State, Stanford, N.C. State, Stetson, Ole Miss, Florida, North Carolina, Minnesota, and Florida State.  I'm guessing we draw somebody in the upper half of that group or a geographical convenience like Minnesota/Stanford.  

2 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

I think Pierce is right on target, but we did get a lot of help to be where we are. We need to win our regional to show the nation we are on the rise. 

What help are you referring to?

I think where we are is pretty good considering the draft losses last year and the pitchers lost to injury before the season.

16 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

What help are you referring to?

I think where we are is pretty good considering the draft losses last year and the pitchers lost to injury before the season.

What pitchers were lost before the season?

10 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

What pitchers were lost before the season?

Diaz (would have been arguably our best bullpen arm). Diaz was drafted last year out of JUCO ball. 

Quintanilla (I think some projected he would be our midweek guy this year)

Think Inoff is injured too and he would have seen some innings. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I think the help he refers to is other big 12 teams not tcb. Namely Tceh but also maybe OU/OSU. 

Pierce certainly did a good job with what he had. I suppose draft/graduation losses are slightly easier to deal with than pre- or mid-season losses. 

Final projections (with hyperlinked sources)

Seeds 1-4 are announced at 10:30 on the ESPN bottom line ticker. The remaining field of 64 other teams is announced at 11 on ESPNU

D1 baseball

1. Texas (14) (paired with 3 Ole Miss)

2. LSU

3. Washington

4. Oral Roberts

Perfect Game

1. Texas (14) (paired with 3 Arkansas) - EDIT 10:32 am - Arkansas not announced in top 4

2. - 4. they didn't provide any of this

Baseball America

1. Texas (15) (paired with 2 Stanford)

2. UCLA

3. Houston

4. Gonzaga

College Sports Madness

1. Texas (16) (paired with 1 Florida)

2. UConn

3. Dallas Baptist

4. Texas Southern

Personally, I think Auburn and aggy are also credible 2 seed options. Haven't linked us with aggy since 2014, which broke the attendance records in Reckling Park, and don't think the ncaa would have us play ucla first round again

Edited by X-Wing @Aliciousness