2018 Texas Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

Guest Lobo

Start checking flights, I bet we're going to Gainsville, Palo Alto, Corvalis, or Oxford.

I should be able to, but I can't remember from year to year...will they also say which 8 site winners feed into Fri-Sun Supers (not necessarily location because of upsets, but based on schedule) and which 8 site winners feed into Sat-Mon Supers?  

Edited by Lobo

5 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

OMG u guys are tots cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

totes*

oh god can't believe i know that. I'm ebarrassed but not embarrassed enough to forget about this post and not hit submit. 

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This is a gritty, gritty team. I'm proud of these guys.

Already been a great fucking season. Now let’s go beat Ole Miss (or Ttech, but probably Ole Miss).

Pierce has done a hell of a job this year. He brought in 4 of tonight’s starters via JUCO or transfer. Really impressive how he was able to remake the lineup with only one full offseason.

It’s nice that McKenzie hasn’t been an automatic out the past couple weeks, but it will be fun when we have a 1st baseman with some pop in the lineup.

Crazy how well our lineup has been while getting almost nothing from our corner infielders (I guess Kody makes up for that). 

On 3/31/2018 at 9:04 AM, TexArcher said:

After winning 7 of 8, I'd convinced myself that all those losses to LSU, Stanford, and Arkansas just meant that we weren't ready to compete with top ten teams, but since we were beating the teams we were supposed to beat, sometimes easily, maybe we were a fringe top 25 team with a chance to win a regional.  Yeah, bullshit.  

Well, actually

1 minute ago, randygilman said:

Kind of glad the Pierce questioning was left behind when we came to surly. That made me want to throw every electronic device I had off the tower

If I did that every time the surl/shag made me feel that way, I'd probably owe AT&T about $100,000 at this point.

15 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

At least they didn’t honor the military during the aggy game so all the fake army could stand

Yep. That was pretty cool. Been at many football games where they do that on the weekend of or close to Veteran's Day, but never at the Disch.

4 hours ago, BRHorn said:

MLB draft starts today. Looking for a breakdown on draftable prospects, recruits likely to be drafted/on the fence, etc. much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what we have coming in for 2018. The top three are the biggest draft risks.

Simeon Woods-Richardson RHP 6-3 200 R R Kempner Houston TX
Bryce Reagan SS 6-2 190 S R IMG Academy Amherst NH
Ty Madden RHP 6-4 190 R R Cypress Ranch Cypress TX
Coy Cobb RHP 6-4 190 R R Katy Katy TX
Mason Bryant RHP 6-5 215 R R McCallum Austin TX
Kolby Kubichek RHP 6-0 165 R R Bryan Bryan TX
Korey Holland OF 6-0 173 R R Langham Creek Houston TX
Owen Meaney RHP 6-5, 225 lb R R Saint Thomas High School Houston Texas
Chase Roberts OF 5-11 195 L L Lugoff Elgin Elgin SC
Eric Kennedy OF 6-0 190 L R Calvary Christian Tampa FL
Caston Peter C 6-0 200 R R Stratford Houston TX
Justin Quinn RHP 6-1 180 R R Calallen Corpus Christi TX
Lance Ford 2B 5-10 170 L R Tivy Kerrville TX
Thomas Burbank LHP 6-2 200 L L Monsignor Kelly Beaumont TX
Alec Carr SS 6-0 185 R R Kempner Sugar Land TX
Jack Neely RHP 6-8 210 R R Churchill San Antonio TX
Greyson Lembcke SS 5-10 190 R R Klein Spring TX

Peter Geib
3B 6-2 210 R-R Episcopal Houston TX
Tanner Haney
SS 5-10 160 R-R Waco Waco TX
Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Our pitching staff has been pretty good as of late. Since the Tech series we are only giving up 2.33 runs a game. That's over 9 games. 

Biggest test coming against Tennessee Tech but maybe our pitching staff turned the corner. 

Shhhh.

8 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Kody Clemens to the Tigers with the 79th pick

Damn! That's way higher than most expected. Good for him. He was always going to leave once he had this kind of year. Glad he'll get a better signing bonus and more commitment from the organization than if he was drafted later. Looks like his slot value is roughly $775,000, not that he needs the money.

5 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So I guess he won't be back?

Tough to imagine staying having any benefit to him draft wise or development wise. 

Only reason to stay would be if he really, really liked school.  

I guess you could argue that 800k might not mean as much to him as some others, but it’s a crazy reach to hope that he’d even consider returning. 

Is there any data to show how juniors that go pro vs seniors that go pro end up?  Time in milb, likelihood of getting to mlb?  I have no clue what the career advancement cost is to stay in school. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Tough to imagine staying having any benefit to him draft wise or development wise. 

Only reason to stay would be if he really, really liked school.  

I guess you could argue that 800k might not mean as much to him as some others, but it’s a crazy reach to hope that he’d even consider returning. 

Is there any data to show how juniors that go pro vs seniors that go pro end up?  Time in milb, likelihood of getting to mlb?  I have no clue what the career advancement cost is to stay in school. 

Yeah, it seems unlikely the money would affect him like it would most others, but I think the biggest factor is the team's investment in him.  If he were to return to school, have a good year but not quite as good and drop some rounds, he'll probably get less extra chances to perform in the minors. Teams don't like giving up on early round picks and, if I were him, that would be the reason I go now. It's unlikely he could increase his draft position if he returned. Now, maybe like you said, he just loves Texas and comes back, but I doubt that would outweigh his future MLB prospects.

Looking back at how I thought this season would go. Man, I wish Kennedy would have returned and this team would have been scary good. 

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/179603-2018-Texas-Baseball/page2

"People are drastically overvaluing the losses in terms of bats. We were one of the worst hitting teams in the country for 3 years with this group of players. We aren't losing Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron here, we're losing average to below average college hitters (excluding Clemens). Outside of experience, this group of players are pretty easy to replace in terms of talent. 

Matter of fact, I bet we are a better hitting team next year. The additions of Hibbeler, Fields and Zubia are significant. Getting a fully healthy Clemens back and Baker back from injury will have an impact. Then I bet you see improvement from the FR (Hamilton, Todd and Reynolds). 

The biggest issue next year will be pitching. It's not easy to replace quality arms like Kennedy, Cooper and Johnston. Those guys actually had talent and produced on the college level. We have to replace pitching production. Not so much in terms of hitting."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Damn! That's way higher than most expected. Good for him. He was always going to leave once he had this kind of year. Glad he'll get a better signing bonus and more commitment from the organization than if he was drafted later. Looks like his slot value is roughly $775,000, not that he needs the money.

Hell yes he needs the money.  Not every rich Dad dumps their wealth on their kids.  (Not that Kody was ever going to starve, but tons of wealthy parents make the right decision to let their kids go out and earn their own keep.)

• Like 2