2017-18 NBA Regular Season Thread -- News, Notes, Trades, etc

Reynolds Woodcock

I was hoping like hell okc would be in the 7 spot. That would have given them their best path to the conference finals I think based on injury and matchups. Really, the only team I feel confident against if I’m okc is gsw in this field. 

So, for the 3rd year in a row, Ty Lue is signing a dude on the eve of the playoffs whose ONLY potential job is to deliver hard, dirty fouls in garbage time.  At least guys like ZaZa and JR Smith play actual NBA minutes in between cheap shots.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

So, for the 3rd year in a row, Ty Lue is signing a dude on the eve of the playoffs whose ONLY potential job is to deliver hard, dirty fouls in garbage time.  At least guys like ZaZa and JR Smith play actual NBA minutes in between cheap shots.

But did Perk actually play in the playoffs.   I can't even remember.     Zaza playing reg season gms means nothing.   Dirty is dirty.   He's actually hurt people.

The last two years it's been Dahntay Jones.  In last year's Finals, he got in a really nice punch on Steph under the basket in a blowout.  Admittedly, it was Golden State's fault for still having stars in the game the second they saw Jones reporting to the scorers' table.  I want to say that he got into it with a Raptor in 2016 as well, but I can't remember the details. Edit: he hit Biyombo in the dick in garbage time.

The oversell on Perk's leadership--for a team that has been together all season and takes all of its cues from LeBron--to disguise the signing is pretty funny though.

Edited by aggie08

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Isn't it too late to sign people for the playoffs? I thought they changed it this year to about 3 weeks before the end of the season to be playoff eligible.  

Perk has been with their G league team all season.   I think its really just a call up more than its considered a signing.   Think that is how they are getting around that

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The last two years it's been Dahntay Jones.  In last year's Finals, he got in a really nice punch on Steph under the basket in a blowout.  Admittedly, it was Golden State's fault for still having stars in the game the second they saw Jones reporting to the scorers' table.  I want to say that he got into it with a Raptor in 2016 as well, but I can't remember the details. Edit: he hit Biyombo in the dick in garbage time.

The oversell on Perk's leadership--for a team that has been together all season and takes all of its cues from LeBron--to disguise the signing is pretty funny though.

Well, I will certainly agree that the perk as a "leader" is (and always has been) complete bullshit.     And he was done physically damn near 10 yrs ago honestly so I have no clue what he is supposed to bring.

11 minutes ago, CBT said:

Those done count. /Ricky Davis

He is responsible for one of my favorite NBA moments.  He dunked on Nash and just stood there and yelled "OH SHIT!!"  over and over hahahahahahahahahaha

1 hour ago, CBT said:

So RW needs 16 rebounds tonight. This could be comical and entertaining. 

Knowing what he needs to do and it being in reach (his career high in rebounds in 19) means he is absolutely going to pad his stats tonight and, if he hasn't already, solidify his HoF status.  That being said, to even be in the position to do the triple double thing two years in a row, even with stat padding, is really an amazing feat and on some level (maybe even just staying healthy) should be applauded and respected.  KD couldn't be in this position because of injuries (62 & 67 games the last 2 years).  Steph couldn't with injuries (51 games this year).  Only Lebron has had the health, skillset, and drive to actually accomplish this feat.

Face it, if Russ is going to stay with the thunder his whole career then he isn't winning a ring.  For him to really solidify his legacy he needs to stand out in some way and if getting 16 rebounds tomorrow is what does that then good on him.  He's a great talent and if he can't win on the biggest stage then at least he is going to give 100% effort every night until he flames out.  That's more than 99% of the guys in the league are willing to give.

3 hours ago, Chapo said:

all in for Russ getting 16 rebounds by halftime.  The blog boys need an excuse to give him MVP votes.

well they are going to improve their win total by an amazing ONE game this year.  after how amazing it was that russ got that team to 47 wins last year, how amazing is it that he is going to get them to 48 this year???

20 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

well they are going to improve their win total by an amazing ONE game this year.  after how amazing it was that russ got that team to 47 wins last year, how amazing is it that he is going to get them to 48 this year???

That probably says more about PG 13 and Melo than it does about RW.

23 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

That probably says more about PG 13 and Melo than it does about RW.

Or how undervalued some of the teammates Russ was playing with last year like Oladipo and Kanter. Oladipo could very well make third team all NBA this year after hearing how awful he was when playing with Russ. 

Further proof that LeBron James isn't human: in his 15th season--one in which he'll play all 82 games (and almost assuredly 40+ minutes in every playoff game)--he is shooting better on deep threes (28+ feet) than Steph Curry did in 2015-2016 (the best individual shooting season in NBA history by a mile).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lebron-james-is-the-new-steph-curry/

All because he picked up a few mechanics tips from Kyle Korver over the past year. Unreal. Dude is somehow even better at basketball than he is at self-promotion. 

38 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Further proof that LeBron James isn't human: in his 15th season--one in which he'll play all 82 games (and almost assuredly 40+ minutes in every playoff game)--he is shooting better on deep threes (28+ feet) than Steph Curry did in 2015-2016 (the best individual shooting season in NBA history by a mile).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lebron-james-is-the-new-steph-curry/

All because he picked up a few mechanics tips from Kyle Korver over the past year. Unreal. Dude is somehow even better at basketball than he is at self-promotion. 

That's sick.  Especially for a guy that "can't shoot"and will "not be able to play once he loses his athletic advantage"

Edited by d2o

18 minutes ago, d2o said:

That's sick.  Especially for a guy that "can't shoot"and will "not be able to play once he loses his athletic advantage"

Shit, even when you remove heaves (LeBron may top the very long list of superstars who are acutely aware of their shooting %, and always find a way to not have the ball in the last second of a quarter), LeBron still has Steph's record season beat (though less than half the attempts, obviously).

From 28-40 feet:

Steph ('15-'16) -- 47-91 (.516)

LeBron ('17-'18) -- 23-43 (.535)

He may damn well play until he's 40.

7 minutes ago, WJC88 said:

If his oldest son has a shot at the NBA, i think he will stick around. 

First father/son in the league at the same time i think will motivate him.

It's kind of a shame that Lebron didn't get together with Serena; they could have created the real ubermensch.

Edited by Message Board User

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Shit, even when you remove heaves (LeBron may top the very long list of superstars who are acutely aware of their shooting %, and always find a way to not have the ball in the last second of a quarter), LeBron still has Steph's record season beat (though less than half the attempts, obviously).

From 28-40 feet:

Steph ('15-'16) -- 47-91 (.516)

LeBron ('17-'18) -- 23-43 (.535)

He may damn well play until he's 40.

I’ve been saying for years that he will be playing past 40. It’s a new era, and he’s a new type of athlete. Nobody takes care of their body or their environment like LeBron does. He has all sorts of space age technology to help him recover and stay fit- he’s gonna play forever.

Anyone watching this rockets / lakers game? Lakers have a guy named Ingram playing on a 10 day contract. He's 32 years old and its his first career, NBA game. Played over 380 games in development and minor leagues. Dude drilled his first three pointer. Good for him. 

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yeah, I think Harden should win MVP this year, but I wouldn't have a problem with LBJ winning it this year. One of his best seasons and he's 33.

Anything but a LeBron / Harden 1st place MVP vote is a joke but watch idiots give vote to others.