The classic film I've never seen

Beau Vine

I don't think I've ever seen My Darling Clementine, other than the parts shown on that one episode of MASH. Or maybe I've seen it once but can't remember because those parts are so much more seared in my memory after having seen that episode dozens of times over the years. 

"Jocularity! Jocularity!"

On April 22, 2020 at 12:04 PM, Jive Turkey said:

I've never seen Saving Private Ryan.  I think I rationalized it by saying that it's a movie that needs to be seen on the big screen, and since I missed that, I don't want to watch it on TV.  I should rectify this.

On April 22, 2020 at 12:07 PM, futureman said:

whoa.  the first 30 minutes of that movie should be seen by every man, woman, and child in america.  at least do that much. 

And then you don't need to watch the rest of the movie. Really, it's a stupidly implausible story. The best thing about Saving Private Ryan was the CGI effects developed for the D-Day landing scene and how they paved the way for Band of Brothers. That story was already written in history so they couldn't screw it up. You probably couldn't invent the story of Easy Company if it hadn't actually happened in real life. Combine that with the hyper-realistic effects (and the excellent casting) and you wind up with the best thing ever produced for television. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Never seen any of these. Don’t have any interest to see any of them. 

I would highly recommend you reconsider Cool Hand Luke.  It stands the test of time.

I tried to think of a comparable movie and the only thing I could come up with was Shawshank.  They're different movies with some light similarities. CHL is both funnier and darker IMO, more action.  Shawshank is a brilliant film but I like Cool Hand Luke even better.

19 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

I would highly recommend you reconsider Cool Hand Luke.  It stands the test of time.

I tried to think of a comparable movie and the only thing I could come up with was Shawshank.  They're different movies with some light similarities. CHL is both funnier and darker IMO, more action.  Shawshank is a brilliant film but I like Cool Hand Luke even better.

i know tantric is a big shawshank guy, so i'm sure he'll be along shortly to expand.

• Haha 1

If you eat 50 egg, your bowels will expand.  And then you'll start flinging the kind of shit that Frank Darabont was flinging in Shawshank.

I don't remember CHL very well, but think a movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or maybe King Rat might have a closer feel.   All of these films have prisony cliches but to me Shawshank was hamfisted, silly and cloying.

I kind of like the straight up prison flicks like Escape from Alcatraz and Pappillon (original) and  The Prophet and Le Trou (french).  I think Shawshank was all caricature, even though the plot was clever, like all Steven King adaptations.

Edited by tantric superman

Alright - review of the Graduate.

Enjoyability (which I think relates to the idea of this thread about how to turn people on to classic movies) - B minus

There is no one likeable, other than Kate Ross, who you feel sorry for.  With no one to root for, the fun in the movie comes out in the great scenes at the Tate Hotel when Buck Henry is hanging around, a couple of the parent scenes ("sounds pretty half baked") and also the driving scenes (Cali in the Alfa Romeo) and the final frenetic scenes and the opening seduction sequence. That's only 20-30 minutes of the movie.  The rest of the scenes I guess fill in the themes, but they aren't interesting. 

Style - influence - I never took a film class, but I've give it an A for the "deep focus" shots which are great and the soundtrack. Not a fan of the too frequent zoom ins and outs.  Wonder how an alternate cut with nothing but Byrds tunes would feel like.  

Theme/message - B - I guess the theme of two separate generations either going nowhere or not knowing where they are going is interesting.  I kind of like to focus on one generation, and maybe that's the challenge of the flick for me.

One year later, The Swimmer came out with Burt Lancaster, and that movie just takes a sledgehammer to the older generation.  A challenging flick but a great one. 

I didn't enjoy it when I saw the Graduate in college, but I was kind of young republican type in college and I couldn't dream of not knowing what I was going to be doing post graduation, so I never really bought Dustin's attitude at the beginning of the movie and was probably too immature for it.  Now, on a second viewing, I only like him when he's not around women, who no way in hell would think he was worth a second glance.

Now a comedy with Ben two years prior to graduation or after he has his second kid -- those might be pretty good. 

Ultimately respect, but not a film I would use to turn someone on to anything other than Simon and G.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Enjoyability (which I think relates to the idea of this thread about how to turn people on to classic movies) - B minus

There is no one likeable, other than Kate Ross, who you feel sorry for.  With no one to root for, the fun in the movie comes out in the great scenes at the Tate Hotel when Buck Henry is hanging around, a couple of the parent scenes ("sounds pretty half baked") and also the driving scenes (Cali in the Alfa Romeo) and the final frenetic scenes and the opening seduction sequence. That's only 20-30 minutes of the movie.  The rest of the scenes I guess fill in the themes, but they aren't interesting. 

Style - influence - I never took a film class, but I've give it an A for the "deep focus" shots which are great and the soundtrack. Not a fan of the too frequent zoom ins and outs.  Wonder how an alternate cut with nothing but Byrds tunes would feel like.  

Theme/message - B - I guess the theme of two separate generations either going nowhere or not knowing where they are going is interesting.  I kind of like to focus on one generation, and maybe that's the challenge of the flick for me.

One year later, The Swimmer came out with Burt Lancaster, and that movie just takes a sledgehammer to the older generation.  A challenging flick but a great one. 

I didn't enjoy it when I saw the Graduate in college, but I was kind of young republican type in college and I couldn't dream of not knowing what I was going to be doing post graduation, so I never really bought Dustin's attitude at the beginning of the movie and was probably too immature for it.  Now, on a second viewing, I only like him when he's not around women, who no way in hell would think he was worth a second glance.

Now a comedy with Ben two years prior to graduation or after he has his second kid -- those might be pretty good. 

Ultimately respect, but not a film I would use to turn someone on to anything other than Simon and G.

giphy.gif

Thank you for that review, now GTFO

• Like 1

giphy.gif

f79e2a5ddb62d0a3628106e6bfdbe71f.jpg

12 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Underrated. Like a lot of the films in that era it was a "message movie" about change. If you didn't buy into the concept, you didn't understand wtf was going on. It was pretty much unwatchable for me when it was released, but I thoroughly enjoy it now. Masterful performance by Lancaster.

• Like 1

On April 22, 2020 at 12:02 PM, tantric superman said:

Just to be completely honest, I like a lot of classic movies, and relatively speaking the Graduate kinda sucks.

You lost all credibility right there. 

17 hours ago, tantric superman said:

This post didn't help your cause. You say you were a young Republican in college and didn't get The Graduate? The hell you say. "Plastics" was a metaphor. He was talking about you. Your appreciation of cinema might be sort of shallow and superficial. Especially if you think One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Shawshank Redemption are of a kind. 

15 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Use less words.

You're one to talk. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I'm not going to hold you to reading every post in this thread, but you're missing a bit of sarcasm. 

Powerful defense of the Graduate going on here, especially relevant to viewing other "classic" movies.

???  What's your sarcasm ?  You like it you don't ?  You were a young republican ?  I started out as a young democrat. What the fuck was wrong with you ?

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This post didn't help your cause. You say you were a young Republican in college and didn't get The Graduate? The hell you say. "Plastics" was a metaphor. He was talking about you. Your appreciation of cinema might be sort of shallow and superficial. Especially if you think One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Shawshank Redemption are of a kind. 

What cause?  That I didn't like the Graduate the first time around, which could have been partially explained by my politics, which I admitted, and therefore felt I needed to watch the movie again (when I think I better understand the political angle), and upon second viewing, still found it wanting?  I didn't remotely say  One Flew Over and Shawshank are "of a kind".  I said exactly the opposite.  I said One Flew Over had something in common with Cool Hand Luke.

I don't remotely care if you think my appreciation of cinema is shallow and superficial.  Given that it's not my profession, I think it its a pretty good observation, probably for most people here.  Given that, I need to work on my communications skills more than my film watching skills, given that you're getting lots of this wrong, other than the Graduate is not in the top level of classic movies I would recommend. 

30 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

You need to relax.

Don't I look relaxed to you ..

Unknown-1.jpeg

How would your politics cause you to like or dislike the Graduate ?  Is there a political angle to the film ?

24 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

What cause?  That I didn't like the Graduate the first time around, which could have been partially explained by my politics, which I admitted, and therefore felt I needed to watch the movie again (when I think I better understand the political angle), and upon second viewing, still found it wanting?  I didn't remotely say  One Flew Over and Shawshank are "of a kind".  I said exactly the opposite.  I said One Flew Over had something in common with Cool Hand Luke.

I don't remotely care if you think my appreciation of cinema is shallow and superficial.  Given that it's not my profession, I think it its a pretty good observation, probably for most people here.  Given that, I need to work on my communications skills more than my film watching skills, given that you're getting lots of this wrong, other than the Graduate is not in the top level of classic movies I would recommend. 

You need to relax....

Edited by Onboard 2.0

23 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

How would your politics cause you to like or dislike the Graduate ?  Is there a political angle to the film ?

I think a young conservative type is going to have more trouble than a young prog relating to Ben's ennui after graduation, especially since he got alfa romeo for graduation.

(Edited so as not to keep up the threadjack).

36 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I think a young conservative type is going to have more trouble than a young prog relating to Ben's ennui after graduation, especially since he got alfa romeo for graduation.

OK, I see your point. I was a kid when I first saw it. I didn't have any political feelings at that age, so I didn't look at it in any way other than a young guy fucking a married woman, which was simply a moral issue to me then.

I do remember the whole party scene, and just one word..... plastics. Maybe one of my favorite scenes of all time. It was such a commentary on the day (plastics was a big, new thing then on the American market,  SEE: Tupperware), and the whole get a job, make a buck, you're a college grad.  For some reason even as a kid I got his feeling of being overwhelmed, and lost all at the same time. What was it all about, what did he want to do in life ??

Benjamin was a complete nerd in my kids eyes then. Today that character seems a little unbelievable, and naive, in his halting personality for a kid who's been thru college.

52 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Nowhere in your review of your rewatch of The Graduate did you say it sucks.  That was all I asked, so I can now sleep at night knowing this egregious wrong has now been righted.  

24 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Nowhere in your review of your rewatch of The Graduate did you say it sucks.  That was all I asked, so I can now sleep at night knowing this egregious wrong has now been righted.  

Hopefully my actual quote only causes an occasional Moro Reflex.

On 4/22/2020 at 11:02 AM, tantric superman said:

Just to be completely honest, I like a lot of classic movies, and relatively speaking the Graduate kinda sucks.

Benjamin was a complete nerd in my kids eyes then. Today that character seems a little unbelievable, and naive, in his halting personality for a kid who's been thru college.

He was a fish out of water. Why they cast Dustin Hoffman and not Robert Redford. Had Robert Redford been there, all ready to go, would there even be a movie? “Mrs. Robinson, wanna get out of here? My ex’ lake house is unoccupied. Let’s have a nightcap.”

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

Shit, pull out the stops and go with Woody Allen.  Or De Niro.

But Redford was actually considered and might have been the front runner at one point.  He fits the description from the book a lot closer than Hoffman.  

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The correct response is, "I didn't like it". 

Well, not if I'm actually trying to make a more nuanced point to a real, honest to goodness dyed in the wool --- FILM BUFF and his pals.   That there may be a debate about the universal appeal of some of the works he's championing.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:24 AM, Go Pokes said:

And there it is.  I think those of us who are film buffs just have a hard time wrapping out heads around someone not seeing a film as amazing as The Graduate or Casablanca.  But if that shit doesn't interest you and you force yourself to sit through it in the wrong frame of mind, then you non film buffs become the idiots that come on threads like this and tell us film buffs that a film like The Graduate sucks.   And that shit pisses us off.   So it's really better for all of us if you don't watch it until you really want to see it, which will probably be never.  

8 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

OK, I see your point. I was a kid when I first saw it. I didn't have any political feelings at that age, so I didn't look at it in any way other than a young guy fucking a married woman, which was simply a moral issue to me then.

I do remember the whole party scene, and just one word..... plastics. Maybe one of my favorite scenes of all time. It was such a commentary on the day (plastics was a big, new thing then on the American market,  SEE: Tupperware), and the whole get a job, make a buck, you're a college grad.  For some reason even as a kid I got his feeling of being overwhelmed, and lost all at the same time. What was it all about, what did he want to do in life ??

It's about the vapidity of the so called american dream, the same thing the swimmer was about. Hell pretty much every movie from that era was about the rejection of "traditional" american values and the lies we were told in support of those values.

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

It's about the vapidity of the so called american dream, the same thing the swimmer was about. Hell pretty much every movie from that era was about the rejection of "traditional" american values and the lies we were told in support of those values.

Yep, certainly an over the top American family.  Cartoonish in some ways, but the movie captures that genre so well.  Throw in Simon and Garfunkel, and it's in the top tier of most pop culture lists.  I'll watch it where it is own the movie when I can catch it.

27 minutes ago, Helobious said:

How are we defining a “classic” movie? I’d never even heard of The Graduate until reading Tantric’s rant, and I’d bet I’m in the majority. 

Wow. How old are you? Even Wayne's World 2 parodied it. 

Edited by Deej

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Wow. How old are you? Even Wayne's World parodied it. 

I'm still processing the post, you were able to put some words to it that made sense.  That's some kind of cultural divide thing going on there.  In Meyers defense he friggin' knows TV, and film.  Every bit of his is a riff (not rip off) of something older somehow. 

Edited by Onboard 2.0