The all encompassing RV thread

troph

1 minute ago, horn4life said:

. But having cell/email really is a must and that's the hard part about PINS.  

To me, lack of connectivity is one of the most glorious things about PINS. :)

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

PINS and beachfront camping was the reason I originally wanted an RV.  Even scoped out some spots to turn around and park tucked into dunes.  But we have been at IB MaGee most every time, for convenience and leaving the rig there for a month in October has been fantastic to bounce back and forth depending on the weather and tides.  But next time I go down to Port A I'm going to do some recon on PINS again. But having cell/email really is a must and that's the hard part about PINS.  

I love PINS and the surrounding area.  Have fished PINS surf/Baffin/Landcut area my entire adult life; used to launch my skiff from Yarborough and spend a week in buddies landcut cabin every spring break.   But I cannot fathom dragging the RV down there.  I guess we are pretty anal (pretty=absolutely) about keeping the camper spotless.   I would be washing it for a week straight, and still fretting over it.  I commend those of you that do it, I just can't bring my self to though.  I'll enjoy it thru y'all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I can generally say fuck off to most communications, but with my parents in their late 80's early 90's I just feel like I need emergency access.  Also like Flattie Fattie I have become somewhat anal about the trailer in one specific area.... sand and grit on the floors.  Gotta plan on giving the dog at least a decent bath after every day on the beach, and we could do that with the outdoor shower hose, but the path of least resistance has become going to IB MaGee.  The fact it's about as close to being on the beach without being on the beach and fits 90% of our needs.  But a long way from PINS.  Maybe I'll get my buddy and do a kayak campout at the Bird Basin at Pins.  I used to have an annual pass and went to PINS a lot when I was remodeling a house I had down in Flour Bluff.  

Just looked at Sandpiper webcam and surf is flat and green, with a very visible amount of sargassum pushing up against the beach. But that second cut.... (wistful dreams of singing line).

One thing is certain.  You will NOT find this fellow on any beach, lake or river in Texas on Memorial Day Weekend!  Too many people with an extra dose of stupid people.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah we party at home on these weekends. We bought a used less expensive fifth wheel so we could use it and use it hard. We have 10 years of boon docking left. Happy to run at it hard when we can. We just embrace the grit and wash it down hard when we are done. It’s spotless now and we will clean it up again. 

10 hours ago, troph said:

Yeah we party at home on these weekends. We bought a used less expensive fifth wheel so we could use it and use it hard. We have 10 years of boon docking left. Happy to run at it hard when we can. We just embrace the grit and wash it down hard when we are done. It’s spotless now and we will clean it up again. 

I will say that our Dyson Animal is amazing at removing the grit.  It's almost as important as the fishing poles.

2 hours ago, troph said:

How’s the fishing in garner ? We are probably staying close to home this fall so we might need to do that trip. 

It’s tough in the park a couple hours after sunup because of the crowds.  The only time I’ve caught decent fish was when we would first get there right as it opened for day use and  jump in the kayak and hit a few known spots.  

Dad caught this bass 20+ years ago on my daughters Barbie rod with a little roadrunner.   We had just got to the park and we’re setting up chairs and it charged some bait in the shallows.  The little spin cast was the only thing with a lure in it and he proceeded to stalk that fish along the shore and out into the middle before it finally ate.  I caught one about the same size on the opposite shoreline about an hour later.

35110869-4D8C-450B-892A-59FBF7FADCEF.thumb.jpeg.17ad819cf5a2d38d83311ecb3bfeb220.jpeg

Most of my garner fish are like these

08403AFD-3CCB-43C3-886A-B7FEE30766AB.thumb.jpeg.7319a77f7cd7c4c025f38a17996dfb8c.jpeg3503DD0F-40C6-440A-834F-4ABE642FAFD9.thumb.jpeg.26268f3ab9adb40e3fe8d11ce2659f98.jpeg

We usually stay at 7 bluffs and I have had good luck above and below the river crossing fishing out of my kayak.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

How’s the fishing in garner ? We are probably staying close to home this fall so we might need to do that trip. 

I've seen some decent bass but nothing as big as @davidg dad's.  Close, but that's a pretty damn decent fish.   If you get up early, they are around.  I've even seen some good fish while the crowds are out, but of course no way to fish them at that point.  We stay just outside Garner.

• Hook 'Em 1

Made it out, all the 2WD parked on the hard sand when the tide went out so it was soft sand by the dunes or roll along through the beach chairs on the wet but packed sand right next to th surf. Wifey road outside the door on the running step and hopped off like a garbage truck guy waving off the idiot beach sitters who wouldn’t move even after I drove down without the trailer to say we were coming. Our truck yawned at the job. Rode out like a champ, folks were even video recording us. We were “high five-ing” and “hell yeah-ing” when we got to the road. Fuck yeah that was awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

Recognizing this is an educational thread as well.  the area that you'd expect to be a driving lane on the beach was occupied with cars and trucks leaving quick dry sand against the dunes or the wet part of the beach to exit. we discussed among ourselves and a few guys that clearly new what they were doing and the decision was to drive down the "troph & wifey lane of dominance" as shown on the picture below.  we did drive in a part of the surf but the only time we stopped was when we had an opening in the actual packed driving lane.  and our turn around was back where we camped very well clear of the water.  don't drive in the water much at all and if the surf is coming up to your vehicle make sure it's not very much at all and you don't stop moving, the moment you stop you sink.

trophwifelaneofdominance.thumb.JPG.ba0de6c07c5e288e08944520a6ad54b5.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

Recognizing this is an educational thread as well.  the area that you'd expect to be a driving lane on the beach was occupied with cars and trucks leaving quick dry sand against the dunes or the wet part of the beach to exit. we discussed among ourselves and a few guys that clearly new what they were doing and the decision was to drive down the "troph & wifey lane of dominance" as shown on the picture below.  we did drive in a part of the surf but the only time we stopped was when we had an opening in the actual packed driving lane.  and our turn around was back where we camped very well clear of the water.  don't drive in the water much at all and if the surf is coming up to your vehicle make sure it's not very much at all and you don't stop moving, the moment you stop you sink.

trophwifelaneofdominance.thumb.JPG.ba0de6c07c5e288e08944520a6ad54b5.JPG

If you look closely it looks like the driver literally has his head bent down in the palm of his hand.  I would likely also be crying in rage at my stupidity. 

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Someone needed to attach a snatch strap to that poor bastard and get him out of there, or at least try.

Chains and tow straps were getting tossed all around Sunday morning, it was a scene. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 9:53 AM, horn4life said:

And I think flattiefattie is looking for a used pull vechicle...

Nah, I’m all set on that. But I’m a sucker for @troph exact spec on hers, and am generally an an “old truck” guy.  And when mine is ready for retirement to the ranch, that would be a better spec than my current ride.  

Edited by fattyflattie

i'm about to hit the 300,000 miles round of repairs whatever those are, I expect $3-5K in expenses this next year after which it will be back in great shape. no one should want it until that's done.

Edited by troph

Coming in late and trying to understand what happened. It looks like the tide was underestimated and you had to make your own way out? others were not so lucky? If correct - how did you mis judge the tide so bad? i thought you were a frequent visitor there

On 6/6/2023 at 1:36 PM, troph said:

i'm about to hit the 300,000 miles round of repairs whatever those are, I expect $3-5K in expenses this next year after which it will be back in great shape. no one should want it until that's done.

Could be some, could be none.  I spent pennies until just before 300k, things started to get a bit leaky.  And I can’t have that shit where I live, so I started digging deeper and deeper.  While I’m this deep, might as well replace it, definitely don’t want to tear it down again in 6 months.   So I kept going and going with a pile of parts, and bleh. Lots of “good” parts I put on the shelf.  But, truck should be good for another who knows how long without leaks.   Shame to spend that $$ just to keep the concrete clean. I need to move out of town…

36 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Could be some, could be none.  I spent pennies until just before 300k, things started to get a bit leaky.  And I can’t have that shit where I live, so I started digging deeper and deeper.  While I’m this deep, might as well replace it, definitely don’t want to tear it down again in 6 months.   So I kept going and going with a pile of parts, and bleh. Lots of “good” parts I put on the shelf.  But, truck should be good for another who knows how long without leaks.   Shame to spend that $$ just to keep the concrete clean. I need to move out of town…

no we have issues.  oil leak, power steering, and reverse is acting funny. not to mention still working on repairing from that theft attempt.  yeah we have some concrete needs to be clean issues too.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

no we have issues.  oil leak, power steering, and reverse is acting funny. not to mention still working on repairing from that theft attempt.  yeah we have some concrete needs to be clean issues too.

You've got 'keep that shit off my new driveway' issues!

10 minutes ago, troph said:

Trust me, if I can’t have it dripping at my house, I’m certain you can’t.   

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2023 at 7:24 AM, horn4life said:

I can generally say fuck off to most communications, but with my parents in their late 80's early 90's I just feel like I need emergency access.  Also like Flattie Fattie I have become somewhat anal about the trailer in one specific area.... sand and grit on the floors.  Gotta plan on giving the dog at least a decent bath after every day on the beach, and we could do that with the outdoor shower hose, but the path of least resistance has become going to IB MaGee.  The fact it's about as close to being on the beach without being on the beach and fits 90% of our needs.  But a long way from PINS.  Maybe I'll get my buddy and do a kayak campout at the Bird Basin at Pins.  I used to have an annual pass and went to PINS a lot when I was remodeling a house I had down in Flour Bluff.  

Just looked at Sandpiper webcam and surf is flat and green, with a very visible amount of sargassum pushing up against the beach. But that second cut.... (wistful dreams of singing line).

One thing is certain.  You will NOT find this fellow on any beach, lake or river in Texas on Memorial Day Weekend!  Too many people with an extra dose of stupid people.

I'm only anal about sand and grit...in my anus.  I don't care for it.

On 6/6/2023 at 3:20 PM, AUinHsv said:

Coming in late and trying to understand what happened. It looks like the tide was underestimated and you had to make your own way out? others were not so lucky? If correct - how did you mis judge the tide so bad? i thought you were a frequent visitor there

We did not mess it up per se our rv and truck wheels were dry and we park up against the dunes. There was a storm and a full moon and the high tide was super high. We have the gear to get unstuck on our own too if we need to. We sat back and enjoyed a longer morning coffee while everyone freaked out. When we tried to leave all the new comers to the beach (day trippers) parked in the only hard dry sand so we had no choice but to drive right along the surf line. We had no issues.

27 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Trust me, if I can’t have it dripping at my house, I’m certain you can’t.   

We have a gravel parallel park spot on our street that is fine but drips everywhere else in my life yeah. No good. Basically I can invest $5k or $80k on a new one. I’m frustrated but it’s gotta be done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone have any familiarity with RV parks in Port O'Conner?

Thinking of going down there with a buddy to fish and I refuse to spend another night in the grossly overpriced and sort of disgusting Inn at Clarks, so I am considering bringing my trailer down there instead. SO any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also are there any daily boat slip rentals on Port O'conner?  I have not been down there in nearly 4 years, but it appears that some civilization has crept in with some new restaurants.  Before if we caught fish and got them cleaned every place was closed by 9 pm during the week.

14 hours ago, horn4life said:

Anyone have any familiarity with RV parks in Port O'Conner?

Thinking of going down there with a buddy to fish and I refuse to spend another night in the grossly overpriced and sort of disgusting Inn at Clarks, so I am considering bringing my trailer down there instead. SO any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also are there any daily boat slip rentals on Port O'conner?  I have not been down there in nearly 4 years, but it appears that some civilization has crept in with some new restaurants.  Before if we caught fish and got them cleaned every place was closed by 9 pm during the week.

Bruh.  Nothing wrong with Clark’s, and last year I paid $109 iirc.  Definitely beats the tampon, I mean Tarpon Inn, or the Captains Qtrs.   Several pretty good restaurants now taking the heat off of Josies. 

Im not familiar with any of the short term RV spots. I’ve got a friend that pays something crazy for his long term spot (~1k/mo) down there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Bruh.  Nothing wrong with Clark’s, and last year I paid $109 iirc.  Definitely beats the tampon, I mean Tarpon Inn, or the Captains Qtrs.   Several pretty good restaurants now taking the heat off of Josies. 

Im not familiar with any of the short term RV spots. I’ve got a friend that pays something crazy for his long term spot (~1k/mo) down there. 

Yeah, Clark's is where I think I will land.  My biggest gripe was no fucking food if we did well and had a lot of fish to clean, with the whole town shutting down at 9 pm.  It's been like 4 years, and apparently there are some breaths of life coming into Port O'Conner.  Thanks for the response fattie!

Well if all goes according to plan I'll be upgrading from my initial 20 ft tiny bunkhouse stick and tin camper I bought in 2018 for 12k to a 25 foot double over double bunkhouse with a queen murphy bed tomorrow.

Going from one axle to dual axle. Getting rid of a slide and going slideless. Getting larger grey/black tanks, a larger 12v fridge, dual propane tanks instead of the one, and a secondary outside mini fridge when plugged into 110.

The old one I'm trading in did a good job for us and held up pretty well, but it'll be nice to go just a bit bigger. The kids are larger and will enjoy the wider bunks.

• Hook 'Em 2