The all encompassing RV thread

troph

USAA uses a desk from Progressive for its non-automobile insurance, so both my boat and RV are insured through Progressive via USAA.

Any non USAA options? I'm not eligible. @Wulaw Horn who was your insurer? How were they to work with on the claim? Anyone can sell you insurance. Claims are important.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, utee94 said:

USAA uses a desk from Progressive for its non-automobile insurance, so both my boat and RV are insured through Progressive via USAA.

I was doing the same thing.  Then I think I got the same Progressive coverage, with the ability to rent the unit (I never have), insured the trailer for $24K vs $15K and paid less than my rate from progressive via USAA.  I need to actually review the policy on the level of insurance for contents.  As i just realized my items coverage for my cars is only $250.  Then it rolls to my homeowners.  But with a 1% deductible there I gotta have a lot of shit stolen to cover the deductible.  

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
17 hours ago, utee94 said:

Any non USAA options? I'm not eligible. @Wulaw Horn who was your insurer? How were they to work with on the claim? Anyone can sell you insurance. Claims are important.

Gronk, is that you??? :)

31 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I was doing the same thing.  Then I think I got the same Progressive coverage, with the ability to rent the unit (I never have), insured the trailer for $24K vs $15K and paid less than my rate from progressive via USAA.  I need to actually review the policy on the level of insurance for contents.  As i just realized my items coverage for my cars is only $250.  Then it rolls to my homeowners.  But with a 1% deductible there I gotta have a lot of shit stolen to cover the deductible.  

From what h4l says, it sounds like you can go directly through Progressive, which makes sense.

I audit my insurance every few years to see if I can save money, and USAA definitely isn't the cheapest, but they have by far the best customer service of any insurer I've ever used.  So there's always that balance to strike.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
20 hours ago, utee94 said:

I use State Farm, as do a bunch of guys on the Sportsmobile forums. 

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4638348

Seems like the agent I used was in Liberty Hill and I think I got her name from Outdoorsy?  Anyhow I was surprised, but you have to think there is some sort of referral kicker back to USAA. So somewhere there is some additional margin.  I did almost no research, but I thought I would get a quote on the coverage that would at least give me the option to rent if I wanted to.  Probably never will in all honesty, but I wanted to know the cost of the option. I was surprised it was less.

On a more- Hey this is sorta cool...  I bought a pair of these aluminum shovels, because I go to the coast a lot.  But for an RVer a lightweight option for that once or twice you really wish you had a damn shovel.  But on sale for $30 for the pair at Costco.  But very light and really good for the beach, as truly nearly all aluminum.  Anyhow, I'm tossing one in my truck and one in my trailer.  About the only thing I can see that might rust would be the pin or the spring for the handle extension.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/17/2023 at 6:10 PM, Chewbacca said:

Who does everyone use for RV insurance?  I've currently got it insured as a cargo van but will switch to RV insurance when the build is done.  Already got a quote with Roamly, but want to shop it around.  I will have a bed, a toilet and a shower, which at least satisfies Roamly's RV requirements.

I had Geico for my vehicles and RV. Their coverage was really good, lots of extras for RV's like vacation coverage or whatever they called it, they would cover a hotel room if something happened on a trip and other things special for RV's... They started to screw with me though on my motorcycle coverage and raised my auto rates so I switched to Farmers, which isn't as great but is sufficient... 

I've always just bundled it with my car insurance. 

• Like 1

I had Geico for my vehicles and RV. Their coverage was really good, lots of extras for RV's like vacation coverage or whatever they called it, they would cover a hotel room if something happened on a trip and other things special for RV's... They started to screw with me though on my motorcycle coverage and raised my auto rates so I switched to Farmers, which isn't as great but is sufficient... 

I'll give State Farm a shot as they do my auto, but I'm paying more to insure an empty cargo van than Roamly quoted me for full coverage on a fully built van, with agreed value for the build.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, JMFP said:

I'll give State Farm a shot as they do my auto, but I'm paying more to insure an empty cargo van than Roamly quoted me for full coverage on a fully built van, with agreed value for the build.

I think it's more about risk to the insurance company, I would think cargo vans are going to have a higher premium because they are usually filled with tools or materials that are easy to steal and sell and not boring RV's. Yeah that RV might be more expensive to replace but they probably get a lot more claims on cargo vans 🤷‍♂️

Brought camper back up from Fal last night. This wind was rag dolling me about half the way. Even with bars on, just Jesus take the wheel type shit at some points. Also, 59 between Wharton and Kendleton. What the actual fuck TXDOT? There was a hole that swallowed the entire front end of my truck, and the transitions are just brutal. I can’t believe that stretch isn’t littered with outboards along the shoulder.

Sort of a PSA if you are in the market for a generator/inverter at a great price costco and a 4000W peak/ 3200 run Firman dual fuel unit about to go on sale (March 8th) for $599.  Online they were $849 when I just looked.  You can link two together and run in parallel as well if you need more power.  Anyhow a great deal this month if you know somebody in need.  https://www.costco.com/firman-3200w-running--4000w-peak-dual-fuel-inverter-generator.product.100843922.html

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Repair post forthcoming. 

Forgot to winterize, and the winter freeze last month got me.  This weekend, finally decided to tackle it. Finally found no broken lines but big leak coming from the water pump.  There’s no water in the holding tank, so the problem is back pressure from the outlet side. 

haven’t pulled it yet, so can’t tell if it’s a fitting or worse. 

new one is $150, looks like an easy swap. But there are also rebuild kits for like $50 or $70. 

dont know how old the pump is but the camper is 24 years old. 

thinking it’s best just to buy a new one rather than a diaphragm rebuild kit that may or may not solve the problem, since the difference is $100 or less. 

thoughts or recs?  Not sure how i would test it after I pulled it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Now with pics. 

the pressure switch housing is cracked, and that’s the only failure I can see. Could just replace that and see, but the condition of those carriage bolts tells me to just buy a new unit. So I will. If they haven’t changed the design, I should be able to use the quick connects they are still at the lines and have it installed in 2 minutes. 

coulda been worse. PEX is cheaper but mostly located in much tighter spaces. 

5A24A7E9-77F7-4D25-961D-6B6269111CAB.jpeg

581677EB-1965-4616-B22C-B207560E636B.jpeg

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Repair post forthcoming. 

Forgot to winterize, and the winter freeze last month got me.  This weekend, finally decided to tackle it. Finally found no broken lines but big leak coming from the water pump.  There’s no water in the holding tank, so the problem is back pressure from the outlet side. 

haven’t pulled it yet, so can’t tell if it’s a fitting or worse. 

new one is $150, looks like an easy swap. But there are also rebuild kits for like $50 or $70. 

dont know how old the pump is but the camper is 24 years old. 

thinking it’s best just to buy a new one rather than a diaphragm rebuild kit that may or may not solve the problem, since the difference is $100 or less. 

thoughts or recs?  Not sure how i would test it after I pulled it. 

You could replace the pressure switch housing, and you could also replace the carriage bolts.  But the seals are the next thing that are going to age and fail.  

I'd just buy new and replace the whole thing.  It's relatively cheap insurance as far as RV expenses go.

Edit: And RV parts don't undergo a lot of innovation, but 24 years is enough time that the replacements available today, are probably better than what was originally installed.  Then again, it could be identical... :)

Edited by utee94

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

You could replace the pressure switch housing, and you could also replace the carriage bolts.  But the seals are the next thing that are going to age and fail.  

I'd just buy new and replace the whole thing.  It's relatively cheap insurance as far as RV expenses go.

Yeah, already ordered. Pressure switch replacement was about $50, bolt kit like $17. Diaphragm kit was $70. New unit was $125. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So winterized my unit this go round properly instead of simply pumping anti-freeze everywhere at the last second.  One thing I have not done and will do moving forward is add an external water filter.  Since I mostly have camped on a monthly basis in Port A, my main water source has been the hard water.  So when I took out the heater plug there were a lot of mineral deposits, on the plug so obviously in the heater itself. 

At first I thought just keep the heater offline, then fill it up with CLR, let it sit a day or so, then drain and flush the shit out of it.  Then I thought... wonder if that CLR will remain behind and fuck with the lines, water taste, poison us or whatnot, as I am assuming it says do not ingest.  Then I thought about vinegar, and saw that online but also saw that the acidity from the vinegar might damage the water lines.  I am pretty sure I can isolate just the heater and can hillbilly engineer a way to fill it up.  Then flush this shit out of it.  I need to flush out all my lines anyhow do de-winterize, anyhow.

Any suggestions, warnings, stupid shit you have learned from? 😉

Man, y'all go to much greater lengths than I do, for winterization.  All I ever do is open low point drains, open water heater drain, open all faucets, and I do this at the end of my last trip before I expect a freeze so as I drive home, everything sloshes around and drains out.

This sufficed for both Icepocalypse 2021 and 2023, as well as all other winters.

ONCE, I lost the cartridge in one of the original faucets, which I assume I might have been able to save if I'd blown out all the lines.  But it was a 30+ year old faucet and potentially would have blown up anyway.

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

So winterized my unit this go round properly instead of simply pumping anti-freeze everywhere at the last second.  One thing I have not done and will do moving forward is add an external water filter.

Yes I use an in-line RV water filter on the city water hose, buy them in pairs and change out at least once per season.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, horn4life said:

So winterized my unit this go round properly instead of simply pumping anti-freeze everywhere at the last second.  One thing I have not done and will do moving forward is add an external water filter.  Since I mostly have camped on a monthly basis in Port A, my main water source has been the hard water.  So when I took out the heater plug there were a lot of mineral deposits, on the plug so obviously in the heater itself. 

At first I thought just keep the heater offline, then fill it up with CLR, let it sit a day or so, then drain and flush the shit out of it.  Then I thought... wonder if that CLR will remain behind and fuck with the lines, water taste, poison us or whatnot, as I am assuming it says do not ingest.  Then I thought about vinegar, and saw that online but also saw that the acidity from the vinegar might damage the water lines.  I am pretty sure I can isolate just the heater and can hillbilly engineer a way to fill it up.  Then flush this shit out of it.  I need to flush out all my lines anyhow do de-winterize, anyhow.

Any suggestions, warnings, stupid shit you have learned from? 😉

That could just be your anode remnants.   I get the same stuff, and am hooked to VERY soft water for 4+ months of the year.  I used a bristle brush that I could sort of bend, and went in there and did work.  I have to do it once a year, it eats the anode right up it seems.  Only had about 20% left this year when I pulled it for the freeze and was blowing out.  I wouldn't put any chemicals in there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I parked next to this guy in Mahahual this weekend. His rig was right around $300k. Pretty cool ride.

mahahual camping.jpg

steyr rig.jpg

That's bad ass.  Any interior pics?  I'd love to get one of those, or an Earth Roamer one of these days (says the guy who's Sprinter isn't even built yet).

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

That's bad ass.  Any interior pics?  I'd love to get one of those, or an Earth Roamer one of these days (says the guy who's Sprinter isn't even built yet).

No, I wouldn't normally take interior pics unless they offer to show off their rig. The owners were pretty high/sleeping on some hammocks, so we let them chill.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 11:04 PM, fattyflattie said:

That could just be your anode remnants.   I get the same stuff, and am hooked to VERY soft water for 4+ months of the year.  I used a bristle brush that I could sort of bend, and went in there and did work.  I have to do it once a year, it eats the anode right up it seems.  Only had about 20% left this year when I pulled it for the freeze and was blowing out.  I wouldn't put any chemicals in there. 

Yeah you know I bet it is the fucking anode.  Thanks.  Still a newbie on some of this shit.  New Anode, need to order a new one. 

The rig above is a pretty cool 

53 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

here's one for sale for $99,000, named BigFoot with a YouTube video of the rig.  

Hey anybody replaced any decals?  I have one shitty one on of course the front of my trailer.  I scrapped most of it off last year and there is a little bit of decal at the top where it was hard to reach, and mostly just adhesive residue.  I was thinking of buying one of the 3M discs to remove the residue as I worried about potential staining or gelcoat damage if I used goof off or something similar.  

I have the replacement decal, (which will likely suck as well) but just need to get down to a smooth clean surface before I put the new one on.  Suggestions?

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

Hey anybody replaced any decals?  I have one shitty one on of course the front of my trailer.  I scrapped most of it off last year and there is a little bit of decal at the top where it was hard to reach, and mostly just adhesive residue.  I was thinking of buying one of the 3M discs to remove the residue as I worried about potential staining or gelcoat damage if I used goof off or something similar.  

I have the replacement decal, (which will likely suck as well) but just need to get down to a smooth clean surface before I put the new one on.  Suggestions?

Hair dryer or heat gun to melt the adhesive, wipe it off with rag/alcohol

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, horn4life said:

17 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Hair dryer or heat gun to melt the adhesive, wipe it off with rag/alcohol

I've done this to remove the dealership decals off of my cars. Works well. Heat gun on low and a plastic scraper then hit with some goo gone while its still warm. 

On 4/10/2023 at 5:07 PM, rage-a-holic said:

I parked next to this guy in Mahahual this weekend. His rig was right around $300k. Pretty cool ride.

mahahual camping.jpg

steyr rig.jpg

That is very cool.

Getting parts for an obscure Austrian truck brand in North America is probably interesting to say the least.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pasture camping this weekend at the aunt-in-laws... putting together a concrete block smoker tomorrow for a barbecue on Sunday. This time last year we did a whole hog. This year we have a brisket, pork butt, ribs, sausage, and whatever else we round up...5bfffbcd16db2bdc78fa5f3d39cf9d5d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 7:31 AM, horn4life said:

Goo Gone.  It's from the goof off folks, but it's not a nasty chemical.   

A pin fell out of our leveling jacks last night and they wouldn’t retract and couldn’t un hook the truck, truck was acting funny, one of two generators quit on us. Got all but the one generator fixed. Probably trouble shoot the generator when we get home. Went fishing now drinking a beer with heavy eyes and my feet in the sand.  Not bad.

Puma unleashed… got damn right. Rawr!! 

IMG_2041.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 4:01 PM, troph said:

A pin fell out of our leveling jacks last night and they wouldn’t retract and couldn’t un hook the truck, truck was acting funny, one of two generators quit on us. Got all but the one generator fixed. Probably trouble shoot the generator when we get home. Went fishing now drinking a beer with heavy eyes and my feet in the sand.  Not bad.

Puma unleashed… got damn right. Rawr!! 

IMG_2041.jpeg

Sounds like you might need to invest in a newer powerstroke.  I know a guy looking to sell. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Sounds like you might need to invest in a newer powerstroke.  I know a guy looking to sell. 

My kids would kill me if I sold the “vintage” truck. We got it fixed ended up being dirty battery connectors.  Smdh.

21 hours ago, troph said:

In other news this is what our Texas beach delivers in 10 mins of beach combing.

I’m super fucking irritated with humans.

IMG_2078.jpeg

So you are on North Padre?  That was my guess, with the direction of you Cell booster, and less flat beach.  Humans suck... I wish there was a way to selectively scrape off the litters.  It's such an asshole move.  I always try to pitch for folks to simply pick up at least an extra bag of trash and haul it out.  Wish I could design a virus to simply kill all the folks that litter after the third offense on the beach our in the waterways.

Then I could only talk to nice folks and there would be a lot more room to surf fish.  Have fun Troph!

This was all ocean trash. 

yes N Padre … two reasons: (1) cell booster so I can respond to the inevitable client crisis not a crisis, and (2) we roll in hot well after dark and I don’t want to do a U-turn to set up. North beach we can just ride in hit the brakes and set up. Leaving is usually a morning activity and we can  do the u-turn then.  The beach is a bit crowded sometimes but I get my remote needs fishing or driving down the main beach. 

back to storage tomorrow AM so we decided for a proper RV park to clean up and get ready to go back in 2 weeks. Love me some PINS. 

IMG_2093.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I concur. Also, let’s remind @trophthat I called dibs when she was picking out the current ride.  

I was washing the salt and sand off the puma and dolly (my truck) at the self serv truck wash just across the causeway bridge on the way home and thought how much I love this truck. I’m riding this one for at least 5-6 more years.

IMG_2047.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, troph said:

I was washing the salt and sand off the puma and dolly (my truck) at the self serv truck wash just across the causeway bridge on the way home and thought how much I love this truck. I’m riding this one for at least 5-6 more years.

IMG_2047.jpeg

11 hours ago, troph said:

IMG_2047.jpeg

The only thing that sucks about the coast is you really do need to do a good wash down to get all the salt and grit off everything.  If you go Aransas Pass ferry route there is a killer carwash with large bay and spray guns on two sides in the first bay, located just to the left two blocks at the stoplight in Goliad, called Suddz.  The second gun helps a lot with the back and forth.   Another good RV wash find is on the way back up I-37 the exit past Lake Braunig and then make a U-turn and it's on the feeder.  I don't think it has a name, but the best thing about it is that its a true truck wash with elevated walkways on both sides and allows you to hit the top as well.  Downside is it's a true truck wash so you better spray the hell out of any brush you might want to use.   I need to find something close to Austin with an elevated way to get to the roof.

I also love me some PINS.  I figured you did the N.Padre Turn before the Park gate.  Did you drive down PINS at all or just hang?  I'm sure on Pins the sargassum was stacked up, but I do like the steeper deeper cuts to fish.  Wind and surf looked ripe this last week for pulling out a few trout. 

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

The only thing that sucks about the coast is you really do need to do a good wash down to get all the salt and grit off everything.  If you go Aransas Pass ferry route there is a killer carwash with large bay and spray guns on two sides in the first bay, located just to the left two blocks at the stoplight in Goliad, called Suddz.  The second gun helps a lot with the back and forth.   Another good RV wash find is on the way back up I-37 the exit past Lake Braunig and then make a U-turn and it's on the feeder.  I don't think it has a name, but the best thing about it is that its a true truck wash with elevated walkways on both sides and allows you to hit the top as well.  Downside is it's a true truck wash so you better spray the hell out of any brush you might want to use.   I need to find something close to Austin with an elevated way to get to the roof.

I also love me some PINS.  I figured you did the N.Padre Turn before the Park gate.  Did you drive down PINS at all or just hang?  I'm sure on Pins the sargassum was stacked up, but I do like the steeper deeper cuts to fish.  Wind and surf looked ripe this last week for pulling out a few trout. 

I fly fished the bay side south of bird island by boat.  we had a ton of problems that we were able to work through but it limited our free time, we are going back in two weeks for a makeup trip. will probably stay on north beach for the limited cell coverage (our booster let's us email and text very reliably). 

our car wash is by the HEB, it's the Mango car wash, does fine.  I rinse, then soap rinse, then foam brush, then rinse and I do EVERYTHING except open the hood of the truck. undercarriage, all of it.

when we go back, we will drive down PINS one day, fly fish by boat in the flats another day and probably wade the flats alone another.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I love PINS as well.  Pictures of camping directly on the beach, are how I first convinced my wife to let me buy an RV 15 years ago. 

PINS and beachfront camping was the reason I originally wanted an RV.  Even scoped out some spots to turn around and park tucked into dunes.  But we have been at IB MaGee most every time, for convenience and leaving the rig there for a month in October has been fantastic to bounce back and forth depending on the weather and tides.  But next time I go down to Port A I'm going to do some recon on PINS again. But having cell/email really is a must and that's the hard part about PINS.  

• Hook 'Em 1