Launching humans into space again from America - Space X

Tailgate

36 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Seems a bit wild to try to land that shit right next to the other. 

10 is basically just the shell of a silo right now.   Before the launch, one of the analysts remarked SpaceX was not worried about damaging it in its current state.  

++++++++++++++++++++

Question I do not know the answer to:

On the crash/landing strategy - if this thing can hover at 30,000, why is the flip from horizontal to vertical so late in the process (a few seconds prior to touchdown) when there is not time to correct any errors?

10 is basically just the shell of a silo right now.   Before the launch, one of the analysts remarked SpaceX was not worried about damaging it in its current state.  
++++++++++++++++++++
On the crash/landing strategy - if this thing can hover at 30,000, why is the flip from horizontal to vertical so late in the process (a few seconds prior to touchdown) when there is not time to correct any errors?

My guess is fuel capacity. I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn son I could be way off.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

++++++++++++++++++++

They actually prefer it to say horizontal as long as possible because the greater surface area slows it down faster, but yeah, they probably want to work on the landing 

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

They actually prefer it to say horizontal as long as possible because the greater surface area slows it down faster, but yeah, they probably want to work on the landing 

SpaceX blew up quite a few falcon 9's trying to land them, and starship is integrating a brand new engine design. I'd bet they figure out the landings before too long lol. 

The belly flop maneuver is pretty profound for descent though, they can fall at a terminal velocity of around 80-100 MPH. That saves them a huge amount of fuel for the return and will increase their payload capacity. It'll be a hell of a show while they figure it out, too lol

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2021 at 4:22 PM, washparkhorn said:

++++++++++++++++++++

http://twitter.com/flightclubio/status/1356993819120599040?s=21

Interesting simulation about flip altitude 

Edited by OrangEngr
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, washparkhorn said:

Tri-Vent - ~10 minutes to launch. 

(great job readying the ship so quickly. Every step is an opportunity to learn).

It's pretty remarkable the rate they're producing not only new rocket bodies and tanks, but the engines to go on these things. They're gathering so much data and making so many little improvements each flight. It's really cool to see in real-time. If all goes well, I'm looking forward to watching some Scott Manley and other youtubers analyzing the flight tomorrow

Super interested to see if their new strategy for landing works out. Previously they were only lighting 2 engines, so when one had a hiccup it would kill the landing attempt. Now they're gonna light all 3 and pick the best 2 to land with. 

It's fucking AWESOME to see the thrust vectoring at work, just look at that gimbaling!
image.thumb.png.4894b11d2d81837bad554bcefaafae2d.png