Launching humans into space again from America - Space X

Tailgate

Just now, elfenix said:

it's kinda weird seeing a capsule that isn't jammed full of toggle switches

The whole thing felt really futuristic. It gave me hope that serious technical progress is around the corner. Its like we are finally in the 21st century.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Whydon'tyouexplainthistomelikeI'mfive.gif

I'll take a stab at this one.  I think Sarge was referring to instead of devoting all of their resources to the main mission, they re-routed some in order to bring back and land the booster part of the rocket by what I will loosely term remote control.  They went for the whole enchilada and got it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:
1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:
Can you imagine hooking with the space station at that speed which is also traveling similar speed? And doing that after a 19 hour trip?

It's what I used to do... Getting two vehicles moving that fast to be together at the same place at essentially 0.1 fps difference in velocity is a true orbital ballet.

So did Buzz deserve the nickname "Dr. Rendeveous"?

29 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Ya, NASA or SpaceX YouTube live is the only way to avoid rubbish.

Yep, was talking to an older relative about 15 minutes before, and asking if they were watching, and they said they were spending a long time talking about the weather.  They were on Fox News, got them to switch over to the NASA YouTube feed.  Much more interesting than listening to airheads discuss whether it will go or not, when it's pretty fucking clear it's going to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horn_Spanker said:

CNN sure did a shit job.  Missed the take-off and cut when the first stage was 10 seconds to land on the barge.

It is very common for the live video feed to cut out when the first stage lands on the ship due to interference. SpaceX usually releases the video of the complete landing later on. 

Doesn’t take away from the crappy network broadcasts. I should have watched the NASA/SpaceX stream. 

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Really wanted to see that thing land on the drone barge, the feed went dead and when they got it back, presto! There it is. 

Ship floating in calm water -- feed good.
Ship being blasted by space rocket falling from the sky -- feed bad.
Ship no longer being blasted -- feed good.

It is possible there is some correlation ... they need another camera some distance away.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’m wondering if nasa does internal projections on odds of a fatal accident on launch and re-entry.  Those astronauts have huge, huge balls.  

NASA knows the odds, and so do the astronauts.  They take a massive amount of risk every time they even go and sit on top of the candle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eastwood said:

Missed liftoff because CNN couldn't get it's shit together.

No kidding.  I have no idea why in the world I would watch CNN for a space shot.  Those idiots switched to a rocket already in space while the nitwit was counting down.  When she hit T-20 Elon's Dragon was already hitting sound barrier

Everyone missed the landing.  Live feed cut out.  
Maybe that's how they will be able to do it cheaper...instead of faking the landings like previous missions they can just have "the feed" go out then cut to a staged rocket already on ground?

23 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
2 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:
Everyone missed the landing.  Live feed cut out.  

Maybe that's how they will be able to do it cheaper...instead of faking the landings like previous missions they can just have "the feed" go out then cut to a staged rocket already on ground?

First thing I thought...people would be saying the feed cut because they faked it

44 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Well just in case your not sure my post is heavy on the /s

You’re good, I knew that was sarcasm, I just imagine the tin foil people spooling shit up on it.

Edited by tx ind
  • Like 1

Late to thread, but mind blown by how they could land that first stage engine on a fucking drone boat.  It's my age and my love of old James Bond movies, I know.

Also, every time they call them by their first names in the NASA broadcast, I chant, "Doug & Bob!"  My family loves it, I suspect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tx ind said:

First thing I thought...people would be saying the feed cut because they faked it

Had a relative do that.  I had to explain that the vibrations cause it to cut out almost every time, although they've been doing better about the camera.

I believe the intense vibrations are also partly why they don't have humans on the ship.  It's also why the Navy has to keep a patrol going around the ship, so that South Austin's mom doesn't climb on board again.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

Late to thread, but mind blown by how they could land that first stage engine on a fucking drone boat.  It's my age and my love of old James Bond movies, I know.

Ask folks in O&G, they have some ships that can do some amazing things with positioning themselves in one spot.  My dad used to occasionally go out into the Gulf, and this was years back, and even then they could remain relatively steady and in one spot.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’m wondering if nasa does internal projections on odds of a fatal accident on launch and re-entry.  Those astronauts have huge, huge balls.  

It's why the Russians, once they did it right with Soyuz, didn't try and break the mold too much over the decades.

I can only imagine what calculating various failure rates would have been like with the Shuttle and its tiles.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ask folks in O&G, they have some ships that can do some amazing things with positioning themselves in one spot.  My dad used to occasionally go out into the Gulf, and this was years back, and even then they could remain relatively steady and in one spot.

That's awesome.  No doubt.  But my main fascination is how they could get that friggin' tube with thrusters and sharks with friggin laser beams to land upright on a boat (or anywhere else for that matter.  I know they did it years ago.  But opening night on Broadway, too!

9 minutes ago, dcbc said:

That's awesome.  No doubt.  But my main fascination is how they could get that friggin' tube with thrusters and sharks with friggin laser beams to land upright on a boat (or anywhere else for that matter.  I know they did it years ago.  But opening night on Broadway, too!

Makes you wonder why some of the other aerospace companies got comfortable, and didn't innovate on things like this.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Makes you wonder why some of the other aerospace companies got comfortable, and didn't innovate on things like this.

Shareholders?  Or maybe it's a money machine?  I don't know.  Cool as hell though.