OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

texifornia

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Four-star LB Jaren Kanak publicly commits to Oklahoma

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaren-Kanak-46102946/

Kanak and Jayden Rowe profile the same way, 6-2, 210 lb, sub-10.5 100m guys that played DB in high school. Basically Isaiah Simmons starter kits.

I look forward to OU trying to get both on the field at the same time to blitz, cover TE/RB, and track down RB sideline-to-sideline.

https://247sports.com/player/jayden-rowe-46112803/

18 hours ago, quigley said:

The Sooner biggest portal needs are WR, DL = OL, TE. WR is woefully short on numbers and experience. The DL has numbers, but not quality. OL has ~ 4 starters back and some candidates for the 5th spot (T), but no experienced depth. 

Because of deficiencies at WR and the O, the passing game could take a huge fall not because of Gabriel but because of all the other requirements to complete a pass.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if OU brings in DBs over these other groups. The commenters on the Alamo Bowl broadcast indicated the new OU coaching staff was impress with returning DBs.  OU has 3 DBs with starting experience returning and several highly touted possible replacements.

I was told that the improvement in the OL from having Jerry Schmidt return to Norman and teaching the proper manner in which one eats his own vomit will be more than enough to overcome any deficiencies at QB, WR, TE, RB and coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was told that the improvement in the OL from having Jerry Schmidt return to Norman and teaching the proper manner in which one eats his own vomit will be more than enough to overcome any deficiencies at QB, WR, TE, RB and coaching. 

I thought the vomit eating was UT's S&C coach, but whatever, I'll assume good will and play along.

The 2017 and 2018 OL groups were among the best OU OL since the 1980s. The OU OL in 2019 was expected to regress because of personnel losses and lack of experience. They did regress but OU's run game was still efficient because they had an efficient run threat at QB, Hurts, who hit the holes and made pretty good reads.

Did you watch the OL last year trying to pull? The same guys that were relatively efficient at doing it in 2019 were late and whiffing at blocks two years later. Add to that Williams, while incredibly explosive, missed holes and reads.

When Schimdt left in 2017, I was glad. While his results were impressive, his manner seemed deeming. I was hopeful that Wiley would achieve similar results with a better demeanor. The OL looked worse every year, the DL would get pushed back 2 yds, and OU's WR weren't breaking away from DBs.

We'll learn whether how much credit to give Schimdt for OU's OL perform over the next couple of years because most of the other coaches are the same. It's an interesting experiment.

6 minutes ago, quigley said:

I thought the vomit eating was UT's S&C coach...

Definitely that little freak Nazi Schmidt.  He also was reported to have an affinity for caressing his players hamstrings and such.  He's very 'hands on'.  My favorite is when that little midget acts like a tough guy on the sideline though.

5d5aa3a967273.image.jpg?resize=1200,791

rawImage.jpg

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So someone else coached 1 sack and 3 TFLs. Also, very OU to have a grammatical mistake in theirs. 

@Big Woodrows

I know only one "insider," and he's a Clemson booster. When we first discussed Venables coming to OU, his first thought was "He's going to take Chavis with him." Chavis was apparently a guy who the players loved and who did a lot of the day to day DL work (now it'll be legal!). I didn't know who Chavis was and was disappointed when Cain was let go, but the guy from Clemson says Chavis is an awesome all the way around.

We'll see.

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This is the best defensive class OU has had in maybe 20 years.  Joe Jerkoff OU fan bitches and moans about the defensive coaches but they get 4/5 stars on offense but 3 star dudes on defense.  

This is counterbalanced by the tremendous attrition on the offensive side. The net result is that there isn't that much separating the offense and defense. Based on 247 composite rankings, OU's 2022 offensive roster as an average score of 91.46 (34 players) and the defense 90.05 (36 players). This year's defensive class is 89.29. It was on tap to have a much higher rating, but defections post-Riley ended that.

Edited by quigley

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

This is counterbalanced by the tremendous attrition on the offensive side. The net result is that there isn't that much separating the offense and defense. Based on 247 composite rankings, OU's 2022 offensive roster as an average score of 91.46 (34 players) and the defense 90.05 (36 players).

Over the long haul, that's good for them.  You can find good offensive players everywhere but elite defensive players are fewer and farther between, especially on the DL.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This is the best defensive class OU has had in maybe 20 years.  Joe Jerkoff OU fan bitches and moans about the defensive coaches but they get 4/5 stars on offense but 3 star dudes on defense.  

It's not even their best defensive class since 2020.

2021 defensive players (Edge haul, weak LB and interior DL class, good DBs)

#2 Edge (#38 overall) .9813
#2 Athlete (#44 overall) .9799 - S
#7 Edge (#107 overall) .9521
#12 Edge (#174 overall) .9262
#17 CB (#242 overall) .9122
#36 DL (#278 overall) .9049
#26 CB (#313 overall) .8974
#28 S (#367 overall) .8901
#48 LB (#409 overall) .8861
JUCO DL .8569
Transfer S .9000 (.9647 high school)

2022 defensive players

#10 CB (#81 overall) .9656
#13 LB (#144 overall) .9423
Transfer DL (.7893 high school) but better than that, no updated Transfer rating from 247 yet (La'ulu, slotting him here on my own judgment)
#26 LB (#250 overall) .9076
#10 ATH (#252 overall) .9069 - Likely LB
#24 S (#266 overall) .9046
#39 CB (#367 overall) .8917
#83 DL (#579 overall) .8742
#142 DL (NA overall) .8505

Now if you're making personal judgment calls like I did with La'ulu and saying all their recruits this year are underrated and last year's were overrated then okay. But saying it's their best defensive class in 20 years is more than a stretch.

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's not even their best defensive class since 2020.

2021 defensive players (Edge haul, weak LB and interior DL class, good DBs)

#2 Edge (#38 overall) .9813
#2 Athlete (#44 overall) .9799 - S
#7 Edge (#107 overall) .9521
#12 Edge (#174 overall) .9262
#17 CB (#242 overall) .9122
#36 DL (#278 overall) .9049
#26 CB (#313 overall) .8974
#28 S (#367 overall) .8901
#48 LB (#409 overall) .8861
JUCO DL .8569
Transfer S .9000 (.9647 high school)

2022 defensive players

#10 CB (#81 overall) .9656
#13 LB (#144 overall) .9423
Transfer DL (.7893 high school) but better than that, no updated Transfer rating from 247 yet (La'ulu, slotting him here on my own judgment)
#26 LB (#250 overall) .9076
#10 ATH (#252 overall) .9069 - Likely LB
#24 S (#266 overall) .9046
#39 CB (#367 overall) .8917
#83 DL (#579 overall) .8742
#142 DL (NA overall) .8505

Now if you're making personal judgment calls like I did with La'ulu and saying all their recruits this year are underrated and last year's were overrated then okay. But saying it's their best defensive class in 20 years is more than a stretch.

They also only have 17 commits as of now.  They have the #5 class on Rivals as measured by average star rating.

But according to this thread, they're spinning out of control into a death spiral.  M'kay.

37 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They also only have 17 commits as of now.  They have the #5 class on Rivals as measured by average star rating.

But according to this thread, they're spinning out of control into a death spiral.  M'kay.

In reality, OU has weathered this storm better than anyone had a right to expect. They lost top talent, and half their staff, but I am really surprised that they didn’t get more defensive defections. Don't get me wring, they are still going to take a huge step back, but that to me feels like an 8 win season instead of a 5 win one… as of today. If they lose more on offense then they are pretty fucked.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

So you're saying that they have the best defensive class they've had in 20 years because you think they're going to get several more great players. Who? There aren't many great players left.

I totally get that you like to fancy yourself the great unbiased and analytical observer around here but instead of being snarky about other people, go ahead and explain how this defensive class is better than their last 20. Which would of course include their 2005 class that had 3 defensive players in the overall top 50 (one at each level of the defense) and 6 defensive players in the overall top 100. This year's class has one player in the top 100 so far.

And the great objective observer using Rivals stars is just fantastic.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Fuck off with the condescension if you can’t even discern how bad Rivals is at this point with their ratings. You’re a waste of fucking time on the recruiting board with that idiocy. Educate yourself better by paying some attention and reading up, then come back and try again. 

9 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

9 hours ago, Vertigo said:

In reality, OU has weathered this storm better than anyone had a right to expect. They lost top talent, and half their staff, but I am really surprised that they didn’t get more defensive defections. Don't get me wring, they are still going to take a huge step back, but that to me feels like an 8 win season instead of a 5 win one… as of today. If they lose more on offense then they are pretty fucked.

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

So you're saying that they have the best defensive class they've had in 20 years because you think they're going to get several more great players. Who? There aren't many great players left.

I totally get that you like to fancy yourself the great unbiased and analytical observer around here but instead of being snarky about other people, go ahead and explain how this defensive class is better than their last 20. Which would of course include their 2005 class that had 3 defensive players in the overall top 50 (one at each level of the defense) and 6 defensive players in the overall top 100. This year's class has one player in the top 100 so far.

And the great objective observer using Rivals stars is just fantastic.

So basically I agree with all of you.

AB- OU's short on numbers (offense and defense) going into 2022. This is because they've only got 7 high school signees + 1 portal. They'll lose 8 defenders, at least. Seven of those were at least nominal starters.

V- That said, it could've been worse. There were rumblings that there was going to be huge portal losses from the defense after the season, and there still may be. But Venables being a defensive coach with a great reputation has stabilized that side of the ball so far. I anticipate some portal candidates are waiting to see what the winter/spring look like before making a decision. Eight to ten wins is where I see OU next year too. OU's schedule next year is cake (UTEP, Kent St, Neb, + weak B12).

H- I think AB was referencing the entire class, not defense only here. If that's the case, the Rivals and 247 average star rankings are similar (#6 and #7, respectively). That's not bad considering a coaching change (though numbers are really low for what OU's losing, as mentioned above).

Projecting forward, looking at star rankings, the average for high school signees will definitely fall with their Feb signees. The guys there looking at include a couple of top national prospects (who their unlikely to get), but mostly are guys with rankings < 90 in the 247 system. Using average star ranking, OU's end up ~ 10 nationally. Using the overall ranking system that includes number of signees, they'll end up about 15th.

Except you --CTJ

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Fuck off with the condescension if you can’t even discern how bad Rivals is at this point with their ratings. You’re a waste of fucking time on the recruiting board with that idiocy. Educate yourself better by paying some attention and reading up, then come back and try again. 

You're deriding someone's "condescension" with this post? Please consider the irony of your posts before pressing send because stuff like this adds NOTHING except bile.

Is this what a leader does?

11 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Over the long haul, that's good for them.  You can find good offensive players everywhere but elite defensive players are fewer and farther between, especially on the DL.

Yeah, on the same day Caleb Williams left, Todd Bates arrived. Williams is obviously a big loss, but if OU's DL only approximates Clemson's over the last 7-8 years, OU's going to see a massive impact in winning.

19 minutes ago, quigley said:

So basically I agree with all of you.

AB- OU's short on numbers (offense and defense) going into 2022. This is because they've only got 7 high school signees + 1 portal. They'll lose 8 defenders, at least. Seven of those were at least nominal starters.

V- That said, it could've been worse. There were rumblings that there was going to be huge portal losses from the defense after the season, and there still may be. But Venables being a defensive coach with a great reputation has stabilized that side of the ball so far. I anticipate some portal candidates are waiting to see what the winter/spring look like before making a decision. Eight to ten wins is where I see OU next year too. OU's schedule next year is cake (UTEP, Kent St, Neb, + weak B12).

H- I think AB was referencing the entire class, not defense only here. If that's the case, the Rivals and 247 average star rankings are similar (#6 and #7, respectively). That's not bad considering a coaching change (though numbers are really low for what OU's losing, as mentioned above).

Projecting forward, looking at star rankings, the average for high school signees will definitely fall with their Feb signees. The guys there looking at include a couple of top national prospects (who their unlikely to get), but mostly are guys with rankings < 90 in the 247 system. Using average star ranking, OU's end up ~ 10 nationally. Using the overall ranking system that includes number of signees, they'll end up about 15th.

Except you --CTJ

You're deriding someone's "condescension" with this post? Please consider the irony of your posts before pressing send because stuff like this adds NOTHING except bile.

Oh I don't know, if Huckleberry convinces even one lost soul to never argue using uncomposited Rivals rankings again, I think he's added a lot to the world.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Gentleman’s bet on the over under at 8? I’ll take the over for $100. 

11 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Had the previous defensive regime stayed, pretty much the entire group of DB underclassmen would have left. Manning/Grinch lost them- big time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Snark, I guess

42 minutes ago, quigley said:

@Pdawg88 beat me to it by 1 min. Here's some context as to why it's important:

He'll be the ONLY returning TE/HB.

The Sooners have 2 freshman TE coming in and a portal from Mizzou.

Since we both like BOLD, I put it in bold this time.

3 hours ago, quigley said:

Except you --CTJ

Outstanding. Please give me more advice on how to post while continually embarrassing yourself on this site. Also, no one anointed me a "leader" here and with dipshits like you around, the standards to live up to for posting are whale shit at the bottom of the ocean level low. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Outstanding. Please give me more advice on how to post while continually embarrassing yourself on this site. Also, no one anointed me a "leader" here and with dipshits like you around, the standards to live up to for posting are whale shit at the bottom of the ocean level low. 

You only take it upon yourself to criticize others opinions, forgetting your own fallibility.

If there are so many idiots here, why persist?

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

dead poets society GIF

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sorry, I forgot to thank you for anointing me your daddy by naming a thread after me! No one else gets one, I'm sorry I forgot to express my thanks.

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not that I'm agreeing with @quigley, but I believe he was referring to your myriad posts regarding leading and developing teams and organizations (professionally and NIL efforts) when he made that comment.

More relevant - based on OU's roster management and turnover, if Texas doesn't beat them this year, this program is legitimately cursed.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

You only take it upon yourself to criticize others opinions, forgetting your own fallibility.

If there are so many idiots here, why persist?

Just now, quigley said:

Sorry, I forgot to thank you for anointing me your daddy by naming a thread after me! No one else gets one, I'm sorry I forgot to express my thanks.

Do us all a favor and roll your various missives to me into one succinct post, dufus. We change thread titles to mock moron's regularly, but feel free to tell yourself it's some sort of validation of your existence.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Do us all a favor and roll your various missives to me into one succinct post, dufus. We change thread titles to mock moron's regularly, but feel free to tell yourself it's some sort of validation of your existence.

You realize, that on Longhorn board, very few of your fellow partisans come to your defense.

Does that not indicate to you that your shtick is tired? 

Look, I'm sure your very bright and capable. Consider acknowledging others are too. And if not, use the ignore button to silence us idiots.

6 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Not that I'm agreeing with @quigley, but I believe he was referring to your myriad posts regarding leading and developing teams and organizations (professionally and NIL efforts) when he made that comment.

More relevant - based on OU's roster management and turnover, if Texas doesn't beat them this year, this program is legitimately cursed.

Probably true, given his room-temperature-IQ proclivities to conflate subject matter. 

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

You realize, that on Longhorn board, very few of your fellow partisans come to your defense.

Does that not indicate to you that your shtick is tired? 

Look, I'm sure your very bright and capable. Consider acknowledging others are too. And if not, use the ignore button to silence us idiots.

We don't need to come to his defense. He's doing just fine belittling you two chucklefucks on his own.

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, quigley said:

A Sooner fan with almost a 1,000 posts on a Longhorn board talking about living rent free in somebody else’s head is an amazing lack of self awareness. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I think portal management may be decisive here. OU's short in a lot of rooms, but especially WR and OL.

OU's passing game is going to undergo a massive overhaul with a new QB and a new WR group. If OU doesn't go heavy into the portal to get WR, Drake Stoops (!!!) could be OU's top WR next year (if Mims leaves). OL has only ~ 14 players returning + incoming + 1 portal. Apparently, starting G Chris Murray is considering leaving too. This puts an obvious cap on the Sooners fortunes next year.

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

We don't need to come to his defense. He's doing just fine belittling you two chucklefucks on his own.

Seeing the post quoted, I can say the guy has good timing, I guess. I'd already just put his insipid ass on ignore. When morons start to obsess over me on the boards, I know it gets boring for all of us so I will stop interacting.

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

How do you think CTJ would react if we all white knighted him? 

That might actually cause me to jump. Christ.

• Haha 2