The way too early prediction poll

PatSolitanojr

The way too early prediction poll   

303 members have voted

1. 1. How many regular season games will Texas win in Tom Herman's second year?

• 6 or under (I love being miserable)
    • 7 (I remain pessimistic until proven otherwise)
    • 8 (I am reasonable and expect moderate improvements)
    • 9 (Seems high, but it's not)
    • 10 (Koolaid intensifies)
    • 11 (We are reaching unfathomable levels of winning)
    • 12 (Show me a loss)

9-3.  Agree that Beck gets stripped of play calling duties after we beat Maryland 19-3 and have 200 yds of total offense and a defensive touchdown; Dicker gets the game ball.  We'll lose a couple close ones that we shouldn't because the game somehow turned into a shootout after Boyd brain farts a couple times.  

I'll go with 7-5, bowl game pending.  Today's big 12, while not on the level of basketball, doesn't really afford any guaranteed wins anymore other than kansas and probably baylor.

Also, like the option says, I refuse to think this team will win 8 or more out of 13 contests until they can finally show me they're capable of doing it without Mack Brown there.

Edited by X-Wing @Aliciousness

Couldn't even wait a week for the spring game? 

I want to believe double digits but my head says 6-8. I thought one of the perks of having a TH coached team would be that we would kill it in the big games and while they were competitive, the well documented woes on offense killed any hopes. So for right now, I'll say 7 with losses to ousux, OSU, TCU, WVU, and KSU ([mack] weird things happen in Manhattan, KS [brown voice]). We'll see how fall camp works out and maybe I'll sip somethin' before the turtle game. 

I voted for 8 wins. If the OL takes a big step forward that win total would likely improve. It was painful watching the OL last season, I'm surprised Shane and Sam were able to stand on their own after the beatings they endured last season. I'm interested to see how Calvin Anderson mans the LT position.

Edited by Chad

In the 2010 National Championship game we had an OL of Hix, Huey, Hall, Tanner, Ulatoski and Greg Smith at TE.  Tre Newton at TB.  Greg Davis calling plays.  That team won every damn regular season ballgame.  Is Anderson, Vahe, Shack, Rodriguez , Kerstetter and Beck at TE so drastically worse that the 2010 group?  If the light comes on for Ehlinger like it did for Colt we can win a lot of games.   

Edited by lemonandaturd

16 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

In the 2010 National Championship game we had an OL of Hix, Huey, Hall, Tanner, Ulatoski and Greg Smith at TE.  Tre Newton at TB.  Greg Davis calling plays.  That team won every damn regular season ballgame.  Is Anderson, Vahe, Shack, Rodriguez , Kerstetter and Beck at TE so drastically worse that the 2010 group?  If the light comes on for Ehlinger like it did for Colt we can win a lot of games.   

3Vnz0wf.gif

Waffled hard between six or seven wins. In the end I went with six, but I do believe there' a decent change we reach seven as well if we get lucky with injures.

Beyond that, though... our O-line is still subpar, our front 7 (front 6?) doesn't have enough depth, and our QBs continue to be up and down. And of course, Beck. Reading the tenor of the spring practice reports really drives home how many holes this team still has. I honestly think the Maryland game is a toss-up. After that, we have a tough early stretch to content with and we could be looking at trying to salvage bowl hopes after another sub-.500 start.

Edited by satyanash

58 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

That might be true, but McWhorter>Hand.

9 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

The light came on for Colt? When? In high school? He showed up as a redshirt freshman and went like 26 tds and 7 picks or something. He's one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the history of college football. 

Sam Ehlinger is like the meatheaded moronic second cousin of Shea Morenz. He and Colt McCoy don't belong in the same sentence unless you're demonstrating the concept of antonyms to second graders.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The light came on for Colt? When? In high school? He showed up as a redshirt freshman and went like 26 tds and 7 picks or something. He's one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the history of college football. 

Sam Ehlinger is like the meatheaded moronic second cousin of Shea Morenz. He and Colt McCoy don't belong in the same sentence unless you're demonstrating the concept of antonyms to second graders.

And how would Sam look with Colt’s OL + skill players from ‘06? 

4 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

And how would Sam look with Colt’s OL + skill players from ‘06? 

Sam would still look like a mouthbreather who is either concussed or drunk during the final 2 minutes of any game with the outcome on the line. You guys who are betting on Sam Ehlinger to save the day are either as lost as he is or pure Westlake honks. 

I picked 10 games in spite of my concerns with that guy taking snaps. 

I think one thing you really have to look at is the amount of quarterback experience we will be facing this year vs last year. Five out of the six teams we lost to, Maryland, USC, OUsux, Okie lite, TCU, are all losing their starting quarterbacks from last year.  A group of QB's that included one that will probably go first in the NFL draft, One that won the Heisman and one that was in contention for it. As dominant as the defense was last year, there is a good chance they are even better this year due to less experienced QB's trying to read Orlando's coverages. Throw in the fact that the o-line should improve and I think you're looking at a 9-10 win season. Won't go to the playoffs, might not win the Big12 but we should be in contention for it all the way to the end of the season.

Edited by HornsofBevo

4 minutes ago, HornsofBevo said:

I think one thing you really have to look at is the amount of quarterback experience we will be facing this year vs last year. Five out of the six teams we lost to, Maryland, USC, OUsux, Okie lite, TCU, are all losing their starting quarterbacks from last year.  A group of QB's that included one that will probably go first in the NFL draft, One that won the Heisman and one that was in contention for it. As dominate as the defense was last year, there is a good chance they are even better this year due to less experienced QB's trying to read Orlando's coverages. Throw in the fact that the o-line should improve and I think you're looking at a 9-10 win season. Won't go to the playoffs, might not win the Big12 but we should be in contention for it all the way to the end of the season.

I think the talent we face on defense this year is offset by our own talent losses. Our defense this year will have less talent, but more experience in the scheme so I expect those two to about even out. I expect our defense to perform about the same as last year, except that our depth is much shakier this year.  If GJ goes down for an extended period of time,then we're absolutely fucked. If Nelson transfers and then we experience some injuries on the DL, we could be in real trouble there too.

Last year my prediction was 8-5 unless Connor Williams went down because he was our most irreplaceable player.  Hopefully we get some injury luck this year to curb the string of horrific seasons we've had for what feels like 25 years at this point.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

True freshman, redshirt freshman, what’s the difference? Your passionate hate for Sam is disturbing. “The true freshman didn’t win every game for us! Only some of them! He SUCKS!” 

Honestly I’m starting to believe you’re doing a bit. 

22 minutes ago, HornsofBevo said:

Thanks for the spell check.

grammar check

7 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

True freshman, redshirt freshman, what’s the difference? Your passionate hate for Sam is disturbing. “The true freshman didn’t win every game for us! Only some of them! He SUCKS!” 

Honestly I’m starting to believe you’re doing a bit. 

I don't hate the guy. You can be as emotional about this kind of stuff as you like, but be cognizant of your own proclivities before projecting them onto the rest of us. I'm rooting for Ehlinger to become a bad ass. What I saw last year was a foggier version of David Ash late in games. If you feel like you saw something else and you're actually sober, then good for you, man. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

That team also had a Senior Colt McCoy at QB who could quickly make a read and get rid of the ball. Did you watch last season at all? The OL couldn't even block 3 man rushes without one opposing defender instantly barging through immediately after the snap. Sam had a case of the derps several times after having his bell rung and both of the quarterbacks took a beating last season. Excuse me for being concerned about the state of the OL. The choir boys you mentioned from the 2009 roster were pretty meh in general, but the group from last season on the OL was downright awful.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:15 PM, Surly Bevo said:

We lose to Maryland and Herman can start packing...

Having watched their Spring game, I gotta agree.  I choose to believe that the defensive lapses last year were due to being new to Orlando's way of doing things. There's no way that antiquated offense ought to produce diddly squat against Orlando & Co. this year. And Maryland's defense looks like lukewarm dog shit. Lose that game, and start the countdown to a new coach, pure and simple.

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I voted 8 just because I hate to think that we won't improve at least a little over last year, but I'm withholding any real hope until after the Maryland game.

The flip side of what I said is true, too. Don't get too high even if we blow Maryland out. They are simply not a very good football team. That game will not tell us much other than that Texas does or does not play well on the road. Which is useful information, I guess, but it doesn't give you any idea of whether or not this team is any good. It does, of course, have the potential to tell you if it's bad.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

grammar check

I don't hate the guy. You can be as emotional about this kind of stuff as you like, but be cognizant of your own proclivities before projecting them onto the rest of us. I'm rooting for Ehlinger to become a bad ass. What I saw last year was a foggier version of David Ash late in games. If you feel like you saw something else and you're actually sober, then good for you, man. 

In my post, I never said that Sam had to become Colt McCoy.  I commented that if Sam gets better with a year of experience and some harsh lessons learned, then we can win a lot of games with the talent we have.  I  truly believe Sam will be a much better quarterback than midget Murray this season.  I also believe a true sophomore QB can learn and get better with experience.    

Edited by lemonandaturd

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The flip side of what I said is true, too. Don't get too high even if we blow Maryland out. They are simply not a very good football team. That game will not tell us much other than that Texas does or does not play well on the road. Which is useful information, I guess, but it doesn't give you any idea of whether or not this team is any good. It does, of course, have the potential to tell you if it's bad.

To be fair, Maryland was missing somewhere between a third and a half of their starters for the spring game 

7 hours ago, HornsofBevo said:

I think one thing you really have to look at is the amount of quarterback experience we will be facing this year vs last year. Five out of the six teams we lost to, Maryland, USC, OUsux, Okie lite, TCU, are all losing their starting quarterbacks from last year.  A group of QB's that included one that will probably go first in the NFL draft, One that won the Heisman and one that was in contention for it. As dominant as the defense was last year, there is a good chance they are even better this year due to less experienced QB's trying to read Orlando's coverages. Throw in the fact that the o-line should improve and I think you're looking at a 9-10 win season. Won't go to the playoffs, might not win the Big12 but we should be in contention for it all the way to the end of the season.

Maryland lost their starting QB?

45 minutes ago, Fud said:

Maryland lost their starting QB?

Tyrrell Pigrome was their starter for the game against us before he got hurt and was out for the season.  From what I've read, he just got to the point where he could run on an anti-gravity treadmill last month. It sounds like it will be a real struggle for him to be ready by our game.

Edited by HornsofBevo

1 minute ago, HornsofBevo said:

Tyrrell Pigrome was their starter for the game against us before he got hurt and was out for the season.  From what I've read, he just got to the point where he could run on an anti-gravity treadmill it last month. It sounds like it will be a real struggle for him to be ready by our game.

Gotcha. I figured he'd be good to go.