School me on Montreal

BlueGreySky

2nd Mount Royal. If you're there in July you have a good chance at a great fireworks display or two

http://www.montrealinfo.com/en/news/2018-01-29/fireworks-to-light-up-2018

Had a great steak at Moishe's

https://www.thrillist.com/venue/drink/nation/bar/moishes

Avoid F1 weekend in June unless you like F1, probably couldn't book a flight or hotel anyway at this point. 

Jazz festival is first week of July.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chitwood said:

Got flights from Austin to Quebec City for October for about 450 each. Going to be in QC for a week. A little long maybe, but a day of doing nothing but lounging around our Air BnB drinking cocktails won’t be a bad thing. 

Only a 3 hour drive to Montreal... 

Rent a car, head over for the day, spend one night, and back to QC.  

Just a suggestion.

14 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Only a 3 hour drive to Montreal... 

Rent a car, head over for the day, spend one night, and back to QC.  

Just a suggestion.

And a good one at that.  Also a train that runs fairly often and not too expensive.  Could be a nice way to get our drink on.

• 5 months later...

I'm heading up to Montreal for a long weekend next weekend in part for a business meeting and in part to have fun with my wife. I searched and found this thread. I've been up to Montreal like 3 times in my life, but I'm always looking for new suggestions if anyone has done anything cool lately, besides apparently watching Expos games. 

We're going to Au Pied de Cochon, which we've been to once before. They have a dish there called "Duck in a Can" and it is possibly the best fucking dish I've ever had in my life. They're famous for it, and they should be. It's an unbelievably decadent dish and my mouth is watering thinking about it.

Beyond that, we're going to L'Avenue one morning and then everything else is wide open at the moment. Also looking for interesting site suggestions. Done Mt. Royal and will do it again, as well elements of Vieux Montreal, but nothing deep there. We've never done any museums up that way. 

Open to anything. Figured it was worth asking. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I'll add on to the requests as well.  Family is going up there weekend after this one on a college visit.  Wouldn't mind some suggestions for moderate dinner/lunch/breakfast places, and definite sights to see in the central city (other than mont royal, of course).

Dude, we should totally get together and hang out. You can alternate between bawling and screaming at me about politics and I'll make a bunch of hyperbolic comments to antagonize you. A good time will be had by all.

Also, if you're going with kids, the L'Avenue place is a fun breakfast place to eat. As well, there's a place there that serves only poutine, but like 40 versions of it. We went there for lunch once and it was fun. Can't remember the name of it, but there's pretty much only one of them if you searched for it.

Dude, we should totally get together and hang out. You can alternate between bawling and screaming at me about politics and I'll make a bunch of hyperbolic comments to antagonize you. A good time will be had by all.
Also, if you're going with kids, the L'Avenue place is a fun breakfast place to eat. As well, there's a place there that serves only poutine, but like 40 versions of it. We went there for lunch once and it was fun. Can't remember the name of it, but there's pretty much only one of them if you searched for it.

That’s a terrible idea. We’d end up fighting, and then we’d end up in a Canadian jail. I hear those places are SUPER polite. I can’t handle that shit.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'll add on to the requests as well.  Family is going up there weekend after this one on a college visit.  Wouldn't mind some suggestions for moderate dinner/lunch/breakfast places, and definite sights to see in the central city (other than mont royal, of course).

Brisket

Don't remember the names of the markets but for breakfast just find the biggest open air market and have coffee and a pastry. 

Lunch is downtown "smoked meat" sammiches. Not great like Texas q but still good sandwich.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped for a little Tim Horton’s hot cocoa as a break after we got down. Chilly, spitting snow on and off today.

So, we rewarded ourselves with some steamy Xiaolongbao:

1797c2e2f5015457c7effbbfc373d983.jpg

Fed the family a nice warm dinner for about $35 American. Of course, had to stop at the Indian grocery next door and get 2 samosas for the boy, who was still hungry, because he’s 15.

Also...HARD! HARD!

8668ee578532169388a1bc56cad2d278.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Wait, are BrisketTexan, chitwood, and CTJ all in Montreal right now?

I'm back now. I went up there with my wife and met another couple that lives in New England for a long weekend to catch up. That city is outstanding. 

I don't take photos of my food and I don't post photos to you bastards on this site, but I'll offer a quick verbal rundown. 

Foxie - We went to this restaurant on night one and it was terrific. They basically produce modern French cuisine, but I'll offer much of it could be confused for modern American as well. I had the pork chop, bone-in, with a spicy cassoulet over the top and pureed root veggies underneath. It was delicious. They had some great apps and we were with a vegetarian, so we tried their cauliflower app, and I'd order it again no matter with whom I was dining. Atmosphere is dark, loud, cramped and trendy. 

L'Avenue - Went here for breakfast and it is a go to when I'm in that city. It's loud and cramped and there's always a line to get in, but there isn't a damned thing that they do poorly for breakfast in that restaurant, including the morning booze. 

Au Pied du Cochon - I referenced earlier that they have a dish at this place simply called "A Duck In A Can", and it is one of the best dishes I've ever had. Duck breast, 6 oz of foie gras, onions, fennel, carrots, and a balsamic reduction are all pressed into an open can, then sealed in the kitchen, and baked in a boiling water bath for 27 minutes. They present and open it at your table over pureed potatoes. This thing is as decadent as is possible without being illegal. If you ever vist Montreal and only go to one place to eat, make this your place. We had excellent apps of foie gras and brussels as well. 

La Fandome - Did  a tasting menu here with wine pairings. Everyone else loved this presentation, but I merely what was in front of me and got drunk doing so. It's very frou frou and the servings are tiny. The skinny females loved the portions. I was looking for a Whataburger afterward. The environment was more quiet and tranquil, and still dark. I loved the location and set-up. 

Beyond the food, we walked up and down Mont Royal, which is a great experience, and we spent a lot of time in Old Montreal and did a lot of day drinking there. Watched a Canadian college football game while doing this on Saturday afternoon. That's not worth repeating. The Montreal subway is the cleanest you'll find anywhere and pretty convenient. They only have Uber X/XL, so rolling pimp is harder. It snowed a little yesterday, which was cool to see. I feel like our timing was great. 

One sidenote - They legalized weed in Canada last week. As brisket referenced, the line for getting some was around the corner at the only open dispensary. My wife, who's never been much for the stuff, and the other couple, who are apparently big fans, decided we should go try to find some after breakfast one day. I don't do the stuff, but I'm not going to harsh everyone else's mellow or whatever the fuck, so we grabbed some of the rental bikes stationed everywhere and set-off to the first expected location. Nothing. You needed a script. So we set off again. 2 hours later, as I'm begging for air, we put the bikes away after the 3rd failed stop. We subwayed over to one other place, which was the right place, and stumbled into a 4 hour line. They were sad, and I was ready to have a drink or two and put that silliness behind me. In about a month, they're going to have like 10 open locations. That place will be weed heaven for you stoners.