Patty Jenkins' Cleopatra - Starring Gal Gadot

Viper

4 hours ago, TexArcher said:

To clarify, Cleopatra was of Greek descent.  She was born in Egypt.

I think people are basically outraged that a Jew is playing the leader of a Muslim country.  Or that a white woman is playing a brown woman.  I know, I know.  But people are that fucking stupid these days.

Correct and known.

Egypt was not a Muslim country. Muhammad wouldn't be born for about 500 years and Cleopatra wasn't "brown", but ethnically indo-european/caucasian.

Activists, SJW, and people who randomly assume others give a shit about their political opinions are almost always morons.

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Gal Gadot is hot without a doubt, but is there some groundswell of demand for this movie to be remade? (Surly - you mean beyond the groundswell in my pants - Surly)

Not once have I ever heard someone say "Man, you know what should be dusted off & remade? Cleopatra!"

Gal Gadot in slinky outfits.  Let's just be honest about it.

Also, this makes me wish we would have had more seasons of Rome on HBO.  Why did it have to be so early/ground-breaking and pave the way for Game of Thrones, why?

I would argue that Rome was John Milius's greatest creation.

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Gal Gadot in slinky outfits.  Let's just be honest about it.

Also, this makes me wish we would have had more seasons of Rome on HBO.  Why did it have to be so early/ground-breaking and pave the way for Game of Thrones, why?

I would argue that Rome was John Milius's greatest creation.

This. Rome was fantastic.  

4 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Gal Gadot is hot without a doubt, but is there some groundswell of demand for this movie to be remade? (Surly - you mean beyond the groundswell in my pants - Surly)

Not once have I ever heard someone say "Man, you know what should be dusted off & remade? Cleopatra!"

Just seems like a ready made bomb, or "Wonder Woman" sans super-powers.

With the new hollywood math for theater losses, they will spend around $500k on effects. So it should look great!

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Milius’ greatest creation was a 2 minute monologue in a Spielberg movie. 

Very true, although I think Conan is underrated as a film. And I was joking about Big Wednesday, but here's a fun fact - George Lucas and Steven Spielberg were so convinced that the Milius film would be a hit that they exchanged points in Close Encounters and Star Wars for points in Big Wednesday. 

In the 50 years that Hollywood has been making surf films, audiences have never been as enthused as wave-crazed executives and filmmakers thought they would. Nobody learned that lesson harder than Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. Normally shrewd businessmen, they read John Milius’s script for Big Wednesday and got so swept up that they traded points on their own projects.

“They gave John points in Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Star Wars for a piece of Big Wednesday,” said George, who got Spielberg to reminisce about the debacle. “Steven says, kind of sharply, `We only did that once, and it worked out better for some than others.’ Everyone assumed Big Wednesday was going to be a big summer blockbuster, and when Steven and George read the script, they thought this was a beach-bound American Graffiti, with Jaws mixed in. Big Wednesday was a disaster, and Close Encounters and Star Wars each grossed around $600 million.”

Big Wednesday grossed less than $5M.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Okay, not going to lie, those few minutes at the beginning and end were fucking amazing, and the theater was dusty as fuck.

I don't think that movie would have been as good as it was, without Milius's addition.

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Okay, not going to lie, those few minutes at the beginning and end were fucking amazing, and the theater was dusty as fuck.

I don't think that movie would have been as good as it was, without Milius's addition.

Not exactly his creation.  He expanded it from someone else's work.

https://neilchughes.com/2013/03/10/the-indianapolis-speech-by-robert-shaw-in-jaws-1975/

Steven Spielberg advised that Howard Sackler, who was an uncredited writer, didn’t want a credit and didn’t arbitrate for one, but he’s the guy that broke the back of the script before we ever got to Martha’s Vineyard to shoot the movie.

Howard one day said, “Quint needs some motivation to show all of us what made him the way he is and I think it’s this Indianapolis incident.” I said, “Howard, what’s that?” And he explained the whole incident of the Indianapolis and the Atomic Bomb being delivered and on its way back it was sunk by a submarine and sharks surrounded the helpless sailors who had been cast adrift and it was just a horrendous piece of World War II history. Howard didn’t write a long speech, he probably wrote about three-quarters of a page.

But then, when I showed the script to my friend John Milius, John said “Can I take a crack at this speech?” and John wrote a 10 page monologue, that was absolutely brilliant, but out-sized for the Jaws I was making! (laughs) But it was brilliant and then Robert Shaw took the speech and Robert did the cut down. Robert himself was a fine writer, who had written the play The Man in the Glass Booth. Robert took a crack at the speech and he brought it down to five pages. So, that was sort of the evolution just of that speech.

Edited by UT_OB1

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Not exactly his creation.  He expanded it from someone else's work.

Was thinking of Saving Private Ryan - Milius did "a little work" on it, and supposedly it was the opening and ending - Spielberg and Co. weren't happy with just opening it up on the landings, and brought Milius in, and he had the idea of book-ending it with Ryan's character as an old man.    Milius could have been lying or it could have been misconstrued.