DoD Funding Jimbo's Contract

SuperSport

https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/texas-aandm-to-lead-100m-hypersonic-research-consortium-for-pentagon/140824.article

The US Department of Defense (DoD) has awarded Texas A&M University’s Engineering Experiment Station a 5-year contract worth $20 million per year to establish and manage the University Consortium for Applied Hypersonics.

The consortium will coordinate research and development efforts for technologies needed for hypersonic flight, such as new propulsion and guidance systems. It is also intended to help develop expertise in hypersonic flight within the USA, but also with allied nations Australia, Canada and the UK.

As a UT ASE grad, this hurts. I hate that our program is/was viewed as inferior to aggy for aeronautics (my area of interest), but I guess we have all those microsats and sweet NASA cash with which to wipe our tears.

18 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Are we viewed as inferior, or did they just make a lower bid?

Eh, that was more of an aside, rather than implying direct causation/correlation here. But based on the department's tenor in the early 2000s and my personal observations from the working world, aggy=aero and UT=astro. Seeing things like this just twists the knife a bit.

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shit, that's nothing.  Back in July, the feds gave aggy $265 million to mass produce a so-far  non-existent vaccine.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200727/feds-approve-265-million-to-manufacture-coronavirus-vaccine-at-texas-am-facility

That's the beauty of it. If you insist that the virus is a hoax, then there's no need for a vaccine. They just saved the american tax payer money!