Need a basic laptop

I need advice on brand/OS for a basic family laptop.  Our Dell finally cratered.  Main uses are surfing various retail outlets to drain my checking account, Facebook, and the occasional document print.  I won't use it, this is mostly for my wife, so a simple machine without bloatware would be ideal.  Windows is OK, but I'm open to other operating systems.  Cost is king.

Are there any brands that seem to be more reliable than others at a given price point?

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I need advice on brand/OS for a basic family laptop.  Our Dell finally cratered.  Main uses are surfing various retail outlets to drain my checking account, Facebook, and the occasional document print.  I won't use it, this is mostly for my wife, so a simple machine without bloatware would be ideal.  Windows is OK, but I'm open to other operating systems.  Cost is king.

Are there any brands that seem to be more reliable than others at a given price point?

Depends on your price point.  The base model macbook air will run you around $600.

My price point is way south of that.  We have 8 people living in this house, one of whom isn't yet 4 YO, and these things tend to take a beating.  I'm just wondering if there's a "best" way to spend a couple of hundred bucks or so, or if they're all essentially the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Where's the best store to purchase a cheap little chromebook? My 8 year old wants a laptop for his birthday (TODAY) so I need to drop by the store and pick one up on my way home today. I don't want to spend more than $200 on one since it's just for the little guy to mess around on. Walmart, Best Buy, Target? Thanks!

• 3 months later...