2020-21 Houston Rockets: Luv Ya Blue?

Slacks

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

there is no one on this roster that you can confidently call "the future."  at best, one of the young guys might be able to turn into the third best player on a championship caliber team.  

gotta finish with a top 3 worst record and hope for the best.  i think cunningham and mobley are legit difference makers, suggs is a future all star and am super intrigued with jalen green.

Future being that they will likely still be on the roster by the next time this team plays in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I bet the FO kept the bar too high for too long and then caved at the last second and took the dog shit offer to save face. I guarantee they passed up better offers trying make some steal of a deal. 

This is the likely scenario, but it's not like anyone went all in on a trade at the deadline this year, I guess the closest was Chicago getting Vucevic while also trusting the twitter mob of knowing what the fuck is going on. I'm not there on the twitter mob ever being right.

Edited by HtownHorn

10 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

man, according to this: https://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston_rockets/ the rockets have over $94million in guaranteed salary already on the books for next year.  they are definitely gonna suck some serious ass next year as well.

Let me help you out with something- they will gargle balls in 2023 as well. 
they should rent out their cap to take back some bad deals and be in full acquisition mode for the next 2 years. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Let me help you out with something- they will gargle balls in 2023 as well. 
they should rent out their cap to take back some bad deals and be in full acquisition mode for the next 2 years. 

You're correct because John Wall is on the books in 2022-23 (player option which he most certainly will take) for a cool $47M. Dude is barely worth 25% of his contract, IMO. His albatross contract makes him hard to unload. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/john-wall-6882/

Damn, Timberwolves have closed this game on a 20-0 run. Watching Wall brick lay up after lay up then dribble the ball off his foot was amazing.

Scoreless final 7:21 of the game, it was impressive tanking.

Now just need to do the same thing tomorrow.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

That's our MVP. He's able to steal defeat from the jaws of victory

He had 15 assists and the Rockets built a 15 point lead, then went to hero ball and the Rockets went scoreless as Wall ended up 6-25. They need to buy him out, he's going to poison the locker room. He's a fucking loser and a cancer.

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

tuesday, june 22nd will be our day of reckoning:

I just looked at the schedule and it appears the Rockets only have 3 games remaining against teams currently not in the playoffs. New Orleans, @Orlando, and Minnesota.

Teams remaining have a .572 combined winning percentage. Really can't afford to win any of those 3 games mentioned above.

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I just looked at the schedule and it appears the Rockets only have 3 games remaining against teams currently not in the playoffs. New Orleans, @Orlando, and Minnesota.

Teams remaining have a .572 combined winning percentage. Really can't afford to win any of those 3 games mentioned above.

Well, our desired outcome is the finish 3rd worst record.  Reason being that 1st, 2nd and 3rd worst record all have the same 52% lotto odds, but if you don't win the top 4 in the lotto you have to give the pick to OKC- so you'd rather be potentially giving them the 7th pick (finishing 3rd) as opposed to the 5th pick (worst pick if you finish last and don't win).

Currently, we have the 3rd worst record- so we are absolutely positively in the spot you would draw it up to be in based upon our situation.  We are 2 games ahead of Orlando- so you'd have to hope that if you were only going to lose 1 game- it would be to Orlando.  They might fight us like hell, of course- but we rose to the challenge and lost to Detroit and got our doors blown off to the tune of 22-0 to end that game in Minnesota, so I trust them to dig deep and find a way.  

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So let’s say we get lucky and snag the number 1 pick. What’s our other picks in the first round at this year?

Portland (top 14 protected) and Milwaukee (top 9 protected). So probably something like 20 and 25.  With the 25 leading to a forfeit of our 2nd rounder as that's now a swap I believe.  I think that's right.  It might not be a swap this year- but I think it's a swap with our 2nd rounder. 

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Portland (top 14 protected) and Milwaukee (top 9 protected). So probably something like 20 and 25.  With the 25 leading to a forfeit of our 2nd rounder as that's now a swap I believe.  I think that's right.  It might not be a swap this year- but I think it's a swap with our 2nd rounder. 

As of today Portland would be 23 and Milwaukee would be 25.

So ideally we'd end up with a Top 4 and two picks in the mid 20s.

We also really need Miami to not make the playoffs, so at least we'd have a lottery pick. Miami has no pick protection on it, so as unlikely as it would be Miami in the lottery increases the odds of the Rockets ending up with a Top 5 pick in a top 5 heavy draft.

Edited by HtownHorn

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They gonna fuck around and beat Memphis. They need to buy out/cut

Kelly O. He’s a real problem for their tank. 

Yeah, I don't understand why Miami traded him, he's better than Oladipo and Iguodala.

But don't underestimate Wall's ability to blow this in the 4Q.

Edited by HtownHorn

43 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They gonna fuck around and beat Memphis. They need to buy out/cut

Kelly O. He’s a real problem for their tank. 

Kelly Olynyk is playing hard for his next contract and I don't blame him. If the Rockets weren't tanking, I would be interested to see lineups with Wood and Olynyk. But Silas is too much of a dunce to ever try it. We all know now why he went nearly 20 years as an assistant before getting the chance to take the helm. And of course, leave it to the Houston Rockets organization to take a flier on a rookie coach when the team was supposed to be in contention for a title (most of that blame goes to broke ass Tilman Fertitta). Oh well, Silas is not the coach who we want, but the coach who we need. Keep tanking.

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Kelly Olynyk is playing hard for his next contract and I don't blame him. If the Rockets weren't tanking, I would be interested to see lineups with Wood and Olynyk. But Silas is too much of a dunce to ever try it. We all know now why he went nearly 20 years as an assistant before getting the chance to take the helm. And of course, leave it to the Houston Rockets organization to take a flier on a rookie coach when the team was supposed to be in contention for a title (most of that blame goes to broke ass Tilman Fertitta). Oh well, Silas is not the coach who we want, but the coach who we need. Keep tanking.

Yep. Anyone who blames harden for hitting the ejector seat on this org after Morey left and they hired Silas is a rube. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. Anyone who blames harden for hitting the ejector seat on this org after Morey left and they hired Silas is a rube. 

Harden is partially responsible for the mess because he wanted to play GM and Morey is an asshat for enabling Harden's behavior. The Rockets should have never made the CP3-Westbrook trade. Harden needed to suck it up and work with CP3. Look at the Suns, they're #2 in the West right now (currently ahead of both LA teams) and I have a hard time seeing them fall lower than #4 in playoff seeding.

Just now, UDontKnow said:

Harden is partially responsible for the mess because he wanted to play GM and Morey is an asshat for enabling Harden's behavior. The Rockets should have never made the CP3-Westbrook trade. Harden needed to suck it up and work with CP3. Look at the Suns, they're #2 in the West right now (currently ahead of both LA teams) and I have a hard time seeing them fall lower than #4 in playoff seeding.

Tilman made that trade. Hardens idea was CP3  and Westbrook. He was ok, by all accounts, with the deal not getting done. 

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

The guys on Clutch that I trust that know things are adamant that it was Hardens preference to do the Westbrook deal but he was ultimately ok with it not happening, Morey wanted no let of it and Tilman banged it through. 
I believe them. 

17 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So let’s say we get lucky and snag the number 1 pick. What’s our other picks in the first round at this year?

Yeah, we have to cheer for the 14% we get #1 or 52% chance we stay in the Top 4, otherwise as a hedge you should root against Miami because that would most likely be the pick we end up with if not Top 4.

Root for Portland to make the playoffs but with the worst record. Their pick will probably be in the 18-24 range. Their pick would be #22 today. Milwaukee’s pick would be #24 today. 

I haven’t watched the last several drafts because Morey didn’t believe in draft picks. Do teams bundle and trade up like in the NFL, ie could the Rockets trade #22 and 24 for a pick in the #10-15 range?

44 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Yeah, we have to cheer for the 14% we get #1 or 52% chance we stay in the Top 4, otherwise as a hedge you should root against Miami because that would most likely be the pick we end up with if not Top 4.

Root for Portland to make the playoffs but with the worst record. Their pick will probably be in the 18-24 range. Their pick would be #22 today. Milwaukee’s pick would be #24 today. 

I haven’t watched the last several drafts because Morey didn’t believe in draft picks. Do teams bundle and trade up like in the NFL, ie could the Rockets trade #22 and 24 for a pick in the #10-15 range?

Occasionally but not often. Much more likely of the team wants to move up to trade one from current year and one for a future draft. 

On 3/30/2021 at 7:46 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

22 and 24 might get you up to 17 or 18 but its definitely not getting 10-15.

Silas finally gets a chance and he is handed this shit sandwich. And of course some of the fanbase will make him the scapegoat for this shit show. This wasn't the team he was supposed to have, and the majority of the current roster sucks ass. Not sure what kind of miracle y'all would like him to perform with this team. Be glad that a good draft pick should fall in the Rockets lap.

30 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Silas finally gets a chance and he is handed this shit sandwich. And of course some of the fanbase will make him the scapegoat for this shit show. This wasn't the team he was supposed to have, and the majority of the current roster sucks ass. Not sure what kind of miracle y'all would like him to perform with this team. Be glad that a good draft pick should fall in the Rockets lap.

Maybe it took him 20 years to get a chance because he's not a good coach, and he took a job with one of the worst owners in the NBA because no other owner was given him that chance.

But losing 20 games in a row by an average of 18 per does not bode well for his coaching acumen. Nor does letting Minnesota go 22-0 against you in the last 5 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Silas is a part of this multi-layered shit sandwich. And yes, the only thing us Rockets fans have to look forward are three first round picks in a deep draft. 

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Maybe it took him 20 years to get a chance because he's not a good coach, and he took a job with one of the worst owners in the NBA because no other owner was given him that chance.

But losing 20 games in a row by an average of 18 per does not bode well for his coaching acumen. Nor does letting Minnesota go 22-0 against you in the last 5 minutes.

I'm sure in a year where teams can barely meet and practice between games, that having and inconsistent roster for a myriad of reasons, including trades, injuries, and players that just don't want to be there, doesn't play a big part in what is going on with this team. No you are right, its mostly the coach. This team is probably a small step above a g league roster at this point. Hell the UH Cougs would probably give this team a run. Judging Silas as a coach based on this year is dumb as fuck IMO, but carry on. 

8 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I'm sure in a year where teams can barely meet and practice between games, that having and inconsistent roster for a myriad of reasons, including trades, injuries, and players that just don't want to be there, doesn't play a big part in what is going on with this team. No you are right, its mostly the coach. This team is probably a small step above a g league roster at this point. Hell the UH Cougs would probably give this team a run. Judging Silas as a coach based on this year is dumb as fuck IMO, but carry on. 

And yet 29 other owners never wanted this guy to run their teams in 20 years. The Coogs also have a really good basketball coach, which Silas is not.

• Hook 'Em 1