Protein

what are some good protein powders?  does one differ that much from another outside of grams of protein per serving?  is the more expensive protein powder worth the higher price?

also where can I get good free-range eggs?  how much do they cost per dozen at the farmer’s market?  the good free-range at the store are ok and have that dark, almost orange yolk that gets me aroused but they’re at least twice as expensive as the sweat shop eggs that are pleasing to my wallet.  when I’m lifting I eat 6-10 eggs a day so those price differences add up.

I've been taking Vega Sport after my workout. It's plant based and one of the cleanest out there, but pricey.  It's not as fast digesting as whey, but I've read mixed reviews on whether fast v. slow digesting proteins are best post-workout.

I also take Dymatize whey protein isolate (isolate has less fillers than other whey formulas) first thing in the morning, which I think is one of the better whey powders. Both are available at HEB (when open).

Don't know as much about eggs. I usually get the Central Maket organic cage free. Not sure about cost comparison, but I don't go through eggs as quickly as you do.

7 minutes ago, Elvis Presto said:

for protein i buy Pure Protein from Costco.  It has 30grams per container and its already mixed and comes in 12oz servings.  My wife bitched at me about not washing the blender well enough to her liking that i quit using the powder.  These taste better anyways. 

do you know what it costs per 12oz serving?  they sell 12 packs of that at randall’s for a little over $2 each serving. 

Edited by futureman

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

I've been taking Vega Sport after my workout. It's plant based and one of the cleanest out there, but pricey.  It's not as fast digesting as whey, but I've read mixed reviews on whether fast v. slow digesting proteins are best post-workout.

I also take Dymatize whey protein isolate (isolate has less fillers than other whey formulas) first thing in the morning, which I think is one of the better whey powders. Both are available at HEB (when open).

do you ever get your protein off amazon?  I’m assuming that would be cheaper than HEB but I haven’t checked.  

13 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What are the benefits of free range eggs other than the quality of life of the chicken.

the yolks are darker which makes them better.  

honestly I don’t know.  have heard people say they taste better but I’m not sure I can really tell a difference that makes the 100% markup worth it.  just do it for the chickens. 

16 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What are the benefits of free range eggs other than the quality of life of the chicken.

Nothing.  The eggs don't have to spend their lives in cages, but they are still trapped in cartons.

Edited by Jerry Callo

I use Now Whey Isolate.  No artificial ingredients and has BCAA's.

At night I have used Catalyst by Strength Casein Protein and am in the midst of trying out Ascent Native Fuel Casein Protein.  Both are easily mixable with water and still keep a good taste to them.  I mix a bit of unsweetened almond milk to add some flavor.  

22 hours ago, futureman said:

what are some good protein powders?  does one differ that much from another outside of grams of protein per serving?  is the more expensive protein powder worth the higher price?

also where can I get good free-range eggs?  how much do they cost per dozen at the farmer’s market?  the good free-range at the store are ok and have that dark, almost orange yolk that gets me aroused but they’re at least twice as expensive as the sweat shop eggs that are pleasing to my wallet.  when I’m lifting I eat 6-10 eggs a day so those price differences add up.

Yes, not all protein is the same. There's concentrate and isolate.  Isolate tends to yield more protein than concentrate (I think isolate has 90-95% pure protein where concentrate only as around 75%)  If you're on a low-carb diet and aren't a novice to protein, you might want to opt for isolate which is the more expensive one.  If you're just starting out, start with concentrate.  The only "downside" to concentrate is that it doesn't taste as good as isolate imo.  But it's definitely cheaper. 

Casein breaks down slower so it's a protein shake that should be taken at night before bed.  (I mix mine with that HEB Mootopia protein milk before bed.  Sure I'm peeing like crazy in the morning but it works.)

On tomorrow's Surly podcast, we'll breakdown protein brands. Which should you stay away from?  Which are over hyped?  Stay tuned. 

• Like 1

Truenutrition.com let’s you customize your protein by flavor and percentage of what type you want. It’s also relatively inexpensive. You can look at each type to learn th difference between whey isolate/concentrate and casein, also choose milk animal or plant proteins. 

I bought some of this off amazon, along with some creatine.  5 lb tub was relatively cheap and it got good reviews on some actual supplement sites (not amazon customer reviews).  if I get super yoked in the next two months I’ll let you guys know.

WheyProteinIsolateProduct-164x240.png?x1

On 4/26/2018 at 2:09 PM, irockalltherocks said:

For post weightlifting, use a high quality Iso Whey protein. Iso whey has the highest protein uptake (bioavailability)  to the muscles of anything out there. I use Alpha Isolate, $37.99 for 2 lb. container on Amazon.

that’s pricey.

How much of this really matters when you've given up the dream of looking like a Greek God, and are really just concerned with looking fit?

I use ON Gold Standard.  Mainly because it wasn't too pricey, and it had a ton of 5star reviews on Amazon.  Am I just wasting my money?

13 hours ago, futureman said:

that’s pricey.

Yep, the grass-fed iso whey is always pretty expensive. The brand you bought offers a grass-fed version that is about double what you paid per pound. Just depends on what your goals are. Nothing wrong with any of the protein powders that have been mentioned on here.

I might have to get me some the Nutricost you bought - that's a good price.

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

How much of this really matters when you've given up the dream of looking like a Greek God, and are really just concerned with looking fit?

I use ON Gold Standard.  Mainly because it wasn't too pricey, and it had a ton of 5star reviews on Amazon.  Am I just wasting my money?

ON is solid.

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Not much in my opinion, unless you have an intolerance to milk-based proteins (whey, casein), in which case some of the plant-based proteins might be better for you.  And I view protein supplements as just that, a supplement to my whole food protein sources so I don't have to wolf down as much chicken, fish, meat, eggs, etc. throughout the day.