USMNT 2021

Napoleon

can we get off the tuchel-out-for-pulisic thing now?

anyone who goes 180 minutes in the UCL quarters is First 11.

i was a chelsea fan in the 90s before abramovich, but i switched to fulham as my "london club" when lewis, bocanegra and mcbride arrived.

with pool out i do hope pulisic shines and makes the final but mbappe and that bitch neymar are the best strike pair on the planet right now.  and the tico navas is probably the best keeper in the world right now.

psg is winning it all.

47 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

can we get off the tuchel-out-for-pulisic thing now?

anyone who goes 180 minutes in the UCL quarters is First 11.

i was a chelsea fan in the 90s before abramovich, but i switched to fulham as my "london club" when lewis, bocanegra and mcbride arrived.

with pool out i do hope pulisic shines and makes the final but mbappe and that bitch neymar are the best strike pair on the planet right now.  and the tico navas is probably the best keeper in the world right now.

psg is winning it all.

Until Timo Werner is gone from Chelsea....NEVER! We just want Pulisic to play at every opportunity. 

On 4/14/2021 at 9:57 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

@alincoln

i didn't see the game but based on that guardian snippet it seems porto felt crushing pulisic was part of their gameplan.

i recall the dutch going full aggro on spain in the '10 final and it worked for 118 minutes.

it's a tried and true strategy, and the players that have been in that trench are worth their weight in gold.

The Dutch went easy on Spain in 2010 compared to what the did to CR7 in 2006.

That was a blood sport that ended 9 v 9 on the field, I believe. 

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This Daryl Dike interview is awesome!

If it has already been posted, well fuck it! It is worth posting again!

What a great--and greatly improbable--story.

There've been many promising young USMNT strikers who failed to capitalize on their potential, but one gets the impression that Daryl has the fire and focus to be the exception.

It's going to be a fun summer of soccer.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Tuchel was forced to respect the GALATIC AUTHORITAI of the mighty ztejas.

Now you're getting it. 

He still played 40 mins today. Tuchel went with the B team attack to start. Had a PHENOMENAL finish that got called back for offsides. 

• Like 1

Clark was the rare homegrown who got sold to another club even with expectations that he'd bolt to Europe.  He's from Minnesota but played for Barca in Arizona and then went to NY with plans to go to Leipzig.  Sounds like a song.  Minnesota haggled and got a little money for him to go to NY.

Compare this to Jonathan Gomez formerly at FCD.  He's a standout left back that got a lowball FCD offer and refused it.  FCD stopped playing him at the youth level.  He's playing at Louisville USL waiting to turn 18 so he can bolt to Europe.  His brother is playing in Portugal for what I believe is a D2 team. 

https://3rddegree.net/whos-the-next-fc-dallas-academy-signing-fall-2019-edition

6 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I would expect Clark to move to RB Salzburg or RB Leipzig after he turns 18 this summer.

It seems like the RB futbol teams are going to become American pipeline? Yes? No? If yes, is this a good thing? It sure looks to be a good thing.

the last line of defense for UEFA against the superleague is a global ban on breakaway players being eligible for their national teams.

the sudden rise of us players in europe and the no-relegation US model could combine to quash the dream of a transcendent us national team.

fifa will back uefa, and all US players in europe could face a day of reckoning.  go home, or get paid and never play for your country for the rest of your life.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the last line of defense for UEFA against the superleague is a global ban on breakaway players being eligible for their national teams.

the sudden rise of us players in europe and the no-relegation US model could combine to quash the dream of a transcendent us national team.

fifa will back uefa, and all US players in europe could face a day of reckoning.  go home, or get paid and never play for your country for the rest of your life.

Same thing crossed my mind.  What be devastating to the World Cup. 

It seems like the RB futbol teams are going to become American pipeline? Yes? No? If yes, is this a good thing? It sure looks to be a good thing.

This might be the last year of Jesse Marsch at Salzburg, he’s getting a lot of interest with bigger clubs.

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

the replies are fun

Also Aaronson scored for RB Salzburg 

We could put together a pretty good squad of players OUTSIDE of the Super League!

So I wonder if Jozy sees himself as playing the full 90 minutes for the Nats or if he feels that some of these kids will allow him to rest after he records a brace in the first 60 minutes or so.

...also, Matthew Hoppe had an "exciting" day today!

Schalke players attacked by fans after relegation from Bundesliga was confirmed

Schalke players were attacked by their own fans when returning from Bielefeld after getting relegated from the Bundesliga.

Gelsenkirchen police confirmed they were on site at the Veltins Arena as footage published on social media showed that fans chased some of the club's players on the stadium perimeters, and though police could not confirm the authenticity of the video, sources told ESPN those scenes were from early Wednesday morning.

- Bundesliga on ESPN+: Stream LIVE games and replays (U.S. only)

On Tuesday, a 1-0 defeat at Arminia Bielefeld saw Schalke relegated for the first time in 30 years. With only four matches left, the Royal Blues are 13 points off the relegation playoff place.

Police were present as fan groups and the Schalke squad met for a "short notice exchange," the club said in a statement released on Wednesday.

Gelsenkirchen police said in a statement, also released on Wednesday, that "500 to 600 people" waited for the team at the Veltins Arena. When the players left the team bus "eggs were thrown at them and they were verbally abused," the police added.

"Police were on site with strong force and were able to prevent a further escalation," the statement said, adding that investigations were still ongoing and "criminal as well as administrative offence procedures have been initiated."

"Some of our players had to spend the night in a hotel," Schalke sporting executive Peter Knabel said. "It's an absolute no-go. The most important thing now: How are the players? How are the staff?"

Meanwhile, Sport1 published quotes from an unnamed player.

"We were told loud and clear that we should be ashamed of ourselves and all the players, who won't be here next year, should f--- off from now on," the player is reported as saying. "If that doesn't happen, life would be made a living hell for us.

"We were pelted with eggs, firecrackers went off and the situation escalated completely. The fans attacked us. We just ran. It was fear, pure fear! I was just running. Some of us got kicked and punched. I am shocked, and I don't know how we are going to compete in the next games. I also don't understand why we were exposed to the fans this way in the first place. The club said that there would only be a short exchange. Meanwhile, the police waited away from that situation."1

Schalke said "limits were overstepped" and "for all the understandable frustration and anger because of the relegation into Bundesliga 2, the club will never accept if the physical integrity of its players and staff is put at risk. But that is exactly what happened last night through the act of individuals."

Local outlet WAZ reported that the players were largely left unharmed and "got away with a few bruises."

Meanwhile, Borussia Dortmund ultra groups celebrated the relegation of their local rivals by setting off fireworks close to the Veltins Arena.2

https://www.espn.com/soccer/schalke-04/story/4365868/schalke-players-attacked-by-fans-after-relegation-from-bundesliga-was-confirmed

1. It's nice to see that cooler heads prevailed.

2. It's nice to see Police choose their battles elsewhere in the world and not just in the USA.  🙄

3.Too bad that Weston missed the fun because he's playing in Italy on loan at the moment.

barnsley are in 6th on 74 +9

reading are in 7th on 68 +11

both have 3 to play

so barnsley need 4 points to secure the playoffs

dike has been instrumental in the promotion push

orlando will have little choice about selling

someone is going to put big quid on the table

mls has to have the cash to sustain the ponzi scheme

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Doesnt Barnsley have an option to buy built into the loan deal? Granted it’s a lot but if they make the EPL ...

Yep, at $20 million and the first option to buy as well. They basically have to make the EPL and even then is that how they will spend the money? I have no clue. 

7 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Doesnt Barnsley have an option to buy built into the loan deal? Granted it’s a lot but if they make the EPL ...

6 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Yep, at $20 million and the first option to buy as well. They basically have to make the EPL and even then is that how they will spend the money? I have no clue. 

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Barnsley has disputed that the fee is that high.

Barnsley is buying him (for much less than $20M) whether they get promoted or they don’t. 

If they don’t get promoted, then they will loan him out with an option.

He’s a really nice guy and Barnsley has given him a European stage to shine on. He will go through them to the next club rather than refusing to sign with Barnsley and then opening up a bidding war. It might not be the smarter move, but that’s the vibe I get from him.