USMNT 2021

Napoleon

Here’s a closer look at the venues chosen for hosting duties and groups/tournament schedule:

• AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX.
  • BBVA Stadium, Houston, TX.
  • Children’s Mercy Park, Kansas City, KS.
  • Cotton Bowl, Dallas, TX.
  • Exploria Stadium, Orlando, FL (first-time host)
  • NRG Stadium, Houston, TX.
  • Q2 Stadium, Austin, TX (first-time host)
  • State Farm Stadium, Glendale, AZ.
  • Toyota Stadium, Frisco, TX.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Barnsley is buying him (for much less than $20M) whether they get promoted or they don’t. 

If they don’t get promoted, then they will loan him out with an option.

He’s a really nice guy and Barnsley has given him a European stage to shine on. He will go through them to the next club rather than refusing to sign with Barnsley and then opening up a bidding war. It might not be the smarter move, but that’s the vibe I get from him. 

Exercising their purchase option to flip him for a profit is more likely IMO.

A laughable list especially #3-5.

#3 and #4 don't need explanation and should never ever don a US kit again. #5 will play for Canada.

Siebatcheu and Hoppe should be on the list. Maybe at #3 and #4, respectively. I put Konrad as my personal #5 after Soto's disastrous Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

4 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Exercising their purchase option to flip him for a profit is more likely IMO.

I would think that this would be the preferred action, but I feel like there is some rule against being on three teams’ books in the same year. Don’t know the specifics, it just seems like something I heard a few years ago. 

Because Gregg is selecting the squad, I think that #1, #2, & #4 are all going to see playing time with our A team this year. 

I think that Jozy is done. 18 months from now, he may not even be in the USA’s Top 10 #9s.

#5 on this list will play for Canada, and he should. 

32 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I would think that this would be the preferred action, but I feel like there is some rule against being on three teams’ books in the same year. Don’t know the specifics, it just seems like something I heard a few years ago. 

A player can be registered with a maximum of 3 teams per season and only play for 2, per FIFA rules. Season ends soon anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Because Gregg is selecting the squad, I think that #1, #2, & #4 are all going to see playing time with our A team this year. 

I think that Jozy is done. 18 months from now, he may not even be in the USA’s Top 10 #9s.

#5 on this list will play for Canada, and he should. 

Is Weah no longer considered a striker, cause I have no problem putting him top 3 on this list?

19 hours ago, Napoleon said:

#5 on this list will play for Canada, and he should

Why is this again?  I don't know much about him other than he's come up through the U.S. youth system.

I never heard of this kid until now. Why did he spurn Man U's Developmental Academy? Regardless, might be hard for an 18 year old to get first team minutes in any league.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-transfer-rumors/2021/4/23/22400228/alex-borto-fulham-contract-usmnt-usa

Since the Gold Cup is absolutely useless now, I hope Berhalter calls up players that have little MNT experience and get them used to playing for the red, white, and blue.

8 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I never heard of this kid until now. Why did he spurn Man U's Developmental Academy? Regardless, might be hard for an 18 year old to get first team minutes in any league.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-transfer-rumors/2021/4/23/22400228/alex-borto-fulham-contract-usmnt-usa

Since the Gold Cup is absolutely useless now, I hope Berhalter calls up players that have little MNT experience and get them used to playing for the red, white, and blue.

Fulham has a long history of Americans. I don't get why everyone thinks signing with a big clubs academy is the best thing. Some have a great track record of developing young players. Some have pretty terrible records.

There was a time - long before the creation of this board - that I would have considered myself to be the preeminent mind of everything US soccer.  Of course, that was when was had about 2 players in Europe.  I just wanted to thank all of y'all for the info throughout this thread and others.  

Does anyone have a guess as to what level team we'd be sending to the games?  

Friendly 5/30 v. Switzerland (Guessing mostly the same as the last friendly in Europe) So, A- TEAM?

CONCACAF Nation's League 6/3 and 6/6 (I have no idea if this is important or not) ???

Gold Cup 7/2 to 8/1 B TEAM because no European players OR are we able to sub in Euro players in subsequent rounds?

1st round of qualification 8/30 to 9/7 three games.  Assuming as close to the A TEAM as possible, but I have no idea if this is a FIFA international break.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

There was a time - long before the creation of this board - that I would have considered myself to be the preeminent mind of everything US soccer.  Of course, that was when was had about 2 players in Europe.  I just wanted to thank all of y'all for the info throughout this thread and others.  

Does anyone have a guess as to what level team we'd be sending to the games?  

Friendly 5/30 v. Switzerland (Guessing mostly the same as the last friendly in Europe) So, A- TEAM?

CONCACAF Nation's League 6/3 and 6/6 (I have no idea if this is important or not) ???

Gold Cup 7/2 to 8/1 B TEAM because no European players OR are we able to sub in Euro players in subsequent rounds?

1st round of qualification 8/30 to 9/7 three games.  Assuming as close to the A TEAM as possible, but I have no idea if this is a FIFA international break.

You pretty much nailed it.  Euro based guys for Swiss.   Gregggggg has already said the A team will play the Nations League and B team will play in the Gold Cup.   Thankfully now, our B team should be plenty interesting with guys using that to hopefully get A team looks.  And yes, A team for WCQ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Ok cool.  So the Nation's League games should actually be interesting.

This doesn’t feel like it will be a boring gold cup either. A lot of young talented players in MLS. Busio, Caden Clark, Julian Araujo, Tessman, Pomykal, Miles Robinson, Bello, Pomykal just to name a few that could be called in. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

This doesn’t feel like it will be a boring gold cup either. A lot of young talented players in MLS. Busio, Caden Clark, Julian Araujo, Tessman, Pomykal, Miles Robinson, Bello, Pomykal just to name a few that could be called in. 

You might see someone like B Aaronson too.   I think I’d prefer him playing starting minutes over 5 games vs a couple minutes here and there at the Nations league. 

1 hour ago, Texasborn91 said:

Sweet.  May even get to meet some of u fools, assuming the US plays in Dallas or Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1

Add Cade Cowell to the mix of people to look out for.

He makes the a beautiful assist on a long ball to a streaking attacker and then jukes FC Dallas defenders out of their jocks on his goal. It turns out that he's eligible for Mexico or the USA and he looks like the real deal.

...and he's only 17.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/video/only-17-cade-cowell-with-a-goal-and-assist-for-san-jose#only-17-cade-cowell-with-a-goal-and-assist-for-san-jose

With the bleached hair and filled out frame, I thought that he might be a British import in his mid-20s. I was wrong.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Add Cade Cowell to the mix of people to look out for.

He makes the a beautiful assist on a long ball to a streaking attacker and then jukes FC Dallas defenders out of their jocks on his goal. It turns out that he's eligible for Mexico or the USA and he looks like the real deal.

...and he's only 17.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/video/only-17-cade-cowell-with-a-goal-and-assist-for-san-jose#only-17-cade-cowell-with-a-goal-and-assist-for-san-jose

With the bleached hair and filled out frame, I thought that he might be a British import in his mid-20s. I was wrong.

Dude looks like a Gareth Bale starter kit. 

For some perspective of far we have come.... this is from the old board from @alincoln

this is from Oct 2017

————

As mentioned in the other thread, the USMNT should now be a 25 and under team.

We have plenty of players who have received call ups in the last 12 months to fill out a squad.

GK:
Gonzalez
Horvath

DF:
Yedlin
Miazga
Polster
Brooks 
Zimmerman
Rosenberry
Carter-Vickers

MF:
Pulisic
Arriola
Acosta
Roldan
Rowe
Saief
Trapp
Lletget
Manneh
Gooch
Green 
Stanko

F:
Wood
Agudelo
Morris

Edited by Ted Lange
  • Haha 2

the daryl dike show at barnsley gets 2 more fixtures...

dike went the full 90 in yesterday's 1-0 over rotherham who remain 22nd (the last relegation place in the championship)

that combined with swansea's 2-2 at reading guarantees reading 7th and ends the contest for the promotion playoffs

barnsley, brentford, bournemouth or swansea will pick up the biggest payday in professional football

the semi-final 2-leg ties will likely begin around 15 may and the final is confirmed at wembley on 29 may

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I typed out the breakdown of who the two guys on this show think that Gregg Berhalter will choose.

This does not mean that this is who they would choose, just who they think that Berhalter will choose based on what he has done in the past. (They don't think that Berhalter rates Dike at all, but one thinks that he will come around in 18 months.)

The "Age" is how old they will be in Qatar. [The hubris of just assuming that of course we qualify for Qatar has not gone unnoticed.]

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 6.08.52 AM.png

• Hook 'Em 1