Dallas Cowboys 2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck It All

Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Tend to agree with this.  The issue for Stafford going forward will be health, but he's on a great contract and think he still has a couple of good season in him.  I would think SF, NE, WFT, and Indy will be in on him with Indy and SF standing out.  You put Stafford in either place and they'd challenge to go to a conference championship.  Maybe further but he has to stay upright because he's starting to show the wear and tear.  

The injuries are Stafford’s Achilles heel. Other than the Lions organization as a whole, the injuries have held him back more than anything. Seems like he’s always playing through a broken rib, or broken pinky in his throwing hand. It’s always something with him. Keep him upright and protected and he’s dangerous. He’s a MASSIVE upgrade over Jimmy G and if he goes to SF and they get healthy, that’s probably your NFC favorite again. 

Stafford would be good any number of places.  If the Cowboys were so fucking stupid to let Dak walk, then I wouldn't hate bringing him here. I think he'd be very successfull. But they should NOT look to move on from Dak FOR Stafford.  

Not only are you getting quite a bit older at QB, you're taking a more injury riddled player, and a guy who no one(well at least not an idiot) can say with a strait face is clearly better than Dak.  But you'd ALSO have to give up assets to get him. Meaning not only are getting older and more injury prone, but you're losing assets that can be used to improve the team anyways...just because we were too stupid to get a deal done with Dak 2 years ago.

God I hate this front office.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Trying to understand how wentz, goff, and Watson being on the blocks with their contracts affects dak’s market value and/or how the cowboys think about having a high priced qb. 

Don't think it matters much, maybe makes them feel they did the right thing by waiting but with Rodgers, Jackson, and possibly Allen's looming, there will be more QBs paid.  But then add in a stalled out cap or reduced cap and it makes for a trickier negotiation.  If reports are correct and they were on the precipice of getting a deal done right before last year's deadline, then I would expect a deal getting signed shortly after the salary cap is announced.  If not and the longer it draws out, the bigger possibility Dallas will end up with a new QB.  FWIW, Goff isn't going anywhere because no one is going to want his contract, Philly looks like it hired a guy specifically to fix Wentz and Watson is up in the air, although it appears he wants out bad.  Because Watson's extension hasn't kicked in, as long as they trade him before the 2021 league season, he's not that expensive to trade.

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Trying to understand how wentz, goff, and Watson being on the blocks with their contracts affects dak’s market value and/or how the cowboys think about having a high priced qb. 

If they really do want to keep him, they need to pay him before the bills pay josh Allen. Allen is definitely getting the market value contract after the year he had, and that’s just going to make Dak’s price for up even more. 

Interesting how there's been a mass deluge of propaganda/stories over the past week arguing that the Cowboys' best option is to part ways with Dak. Everyone from David Moore to internet fodder outlets like Bleacher Report are all making an argument for a split. Shit, even avowed Dak backer Bob Sturm threw out his own missive giving color to this sentiment. Makes me wonder whether there's a decision looming with Jerry/Stephen on Dak or whether it's just a different deployment of their negotiation tactics. 

45 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Interesting how there's been a mass deluge of propaganda/stories over the past week arguing that the Cowboys' best option is to part ways with Dak. Everyone from David Moore to internet fodder outlets like Bleacher Report are all making an argument for a split. Shit, even avowed Dak backer Bob Sturm threw out his own missive giving color to this sentiment. Makes me wonder whether there's a decision looming with Jerry/Stephen on Dak or whether it's just a different deployment of their negotiation tactics. 

Setting the market for a qb that will still probably be on crutches when you have to make a decision is...a tough decision. 

46 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Moore's article is behind a paywall but the B/R article didn't seem to be different than any other article on the subject, review the options -- (pay, trade, franchise, or release) and then just play "what if".  It does throw out silliness like using the 10th pick as trade capital for Stafford (no thanks), Rodgers (not going anywhere), Garoppolo (pathetic), Watson (would seriously think about), or Carr (laughable).  The salary cap probably coming in between 180m-190m, give or take a couple million is really going to be the tricky part.  I do think it will have an affect and if Dak plays hardball again, I can see a scenario, while unlikely, which finds him on another team by training camp.  The most likely scenario still is they work it out..... Jerrah always will eventually pay for his toys.

It's absolutely negotiating tactics by Jerry. He loves and does this all the time.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Moore's article is behind a paywall but the B/R article didn't seem to be different than any other article on the subject, review the options -- (pay, trade, franchise, or release) and then just play "what if".  It does throw out silliness like using the 10th pick as trade capital for Stafford (no thanks), Rodgers (not going anywhere), Garoppolo (pathetic), Watson (would seriously think about), or Carr (laughable).  The salary cap probably coming in between 180m-190m, give or take a couple million is really going to be the tricky part.  I do think it will have an affect and if Dak plays hardball again, I can see a scenario, while unlikely, which finds him on another team by training camp.  The most likely scenario still is they work it out..... Jerrah always will eventually pay for his toys.

I wouldn't mind Watson in theory but absolutely no way would I trade what they would want and then on top of that, pay his salary. Pass big time. He's really no different than Dak at all. Not enough of a difference to give up that much in terms of draft capital
  • Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Setting the market for a qb that will still probably be on crutches when you have to make a decision is...a tough decision. 

No doubt and I don't envy them, but they alone are responsible for this. Goes to show that no matter what a QB does to prove an organization wrong, the light (or lack there of) that they initially saw a prospect in distorts their feelings on him well into the future. I have no doubt in my mind that had they drafted Connor Cook, or some other QB they coveted during the 2016 draft, and he performed at the level Dak has they would've signed him a long time ago and considered themselves lucky to do so. Because typically when you desire something it's human nature to fixate on the potential of that thing, however when you settle for something you tend to focus on all its faults. Consequently you're more cautious and reticent to believe even when that thing proves to have that same potential you saw in the thing you coveted.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

You're right. The headline was a bit more provocative than the substance of the article. 

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don't think he's on crutches now, and all sources are saying his recovery/rehab has gone beyond expectations. He'll be way past ready to play by training camp from what I've seen.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I wouldn't mind Watson in theory but absolutely no way would I trade what they would want and then on top of that, pay his salary. Pass big time. He's really no different than Dak at all. Not enough of a difference to give up that much in terms of draft capital

Same.  He's not some massive improvement(if at all IMO), but I sure as fuck would be against sending out a high priced asset to get him, when they could literally just sign Dak for a similar price.  Otherwise I think he'd succeed here like I think Dak would.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

I don't think he's on crutches now, and all sources are saying his recovery/rehab has gone beyond expectations. He'll be way past ready to play by training camp from what I've seen.

Same.  He's not some massive improvement(if at all IMO), but I sure as fuck would be against sending out a high priced asset to get him, when they could literally just sign Dak for a similar price.  Otherwise I think he'd succeed here like I think Dak would.

I know what the reports say, but as of 1/19 Dak is definitely still on crutches. Maybe that’s changed over the last 9 days, but he injured himself a long ass time ago to still be on crutches 

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I know what the reports say, but as of 1/19 Dak is definitely still on crutches. Maybe that’s changed over the last 9 days, but he injured himself a long ass time ago to still be on crutches 

Wait, so you're saying because he's on crutches a couple months after a gruesome injury, that it's a bad thing?  We literally saw him walking without crutches and a slight limp in mid December.  You think maybe even if he's on crutches at this point it's mainly precautionary.

Seriously...anyone using a Broken Ankle as basis for a "He may never be the same player" again is really delusional.

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

Wait, so you're saying because he's on crutches a couple months after a gruesome injury, that it's a bad thing?  We literally saw him walking without crutches and a slight limp in mid December.  You think maybe even if he's on crutches at this point it's mainly precautionary.

Seriously...anyone using a Broken Ankle as basis for a "He may never be the same player" again is really delusional.

I never said that drew lol. You’re putting words in my mouth. But I can turn right back around and say that you’re delusional if you don't think there’s a chance that a guy who had his ankle literally facing the opposite direction MIGHT not come back the exact same as he was before. I’ve never seen that injury. Have you? No, no you haven’t. Relax. Sometimes you’re like a woman defending her man. I’m not dissing your man. I’m just stating a potential reason that the Jones family might be hesitant to not set the market for your man. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Sorry you didn't say that.  The implication is there based on some other posts on here and that I see from others on the Radio/Social media.

"He injured himself a long time ago to still be on crutches" is pretty close to implying he won't be okay.

11 minutes ago, Drew said:

Sorry you didn't say that.  The implication is there based on some other posts on here and that I see from others on the Radio/Social media.

"He injured himself a long time ago to still be on crutches" is pretty close to implying he won't be okay.

Again, false. All it’s implying is that he injured himself in week 5 of the regular season and now we’re a week away from the super bowl, and he’s still on crutches. You can spin that however you want. I’m not making any assumptions about how he’s going to heal. Just stating a fact (that he’s still on crutches), and saying that the Jones family is probably going to have to make a decision on setting the market while he still isn’t fully healed.

I don’t know how many times you’ve seen a guy set the market when he wasn’t healthy, but I’ve never seen it. It makes sense that the Jones family would be hesitant to pay him right now. They don’t have a crystal ball. Neither do you. We can assume there will be no setbacks, or we can all use common sense and say that setbacks can happen.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I never said that drew lol. You’re putting words in my mouth. But I can turn right back around and say that you’re delusional if you don't think there’s a chance that a guy who had his ankle literally facing the opposite direction MIGHT not come back the exact same as he was before. I’ve never seen that injury. Have you? No, no you haven’t. Relax. Sometimes you’re like a woman defending her man. I’m not dissing your man. I’m just stating a potential reason that the Jones family might be hesitant to not set the market for your man. 

Connor Barwin is a good example in football, BTW.

Are we sure he's still on crutches?  Rapoport said he was walking a couple of weeks ago and doing pool work and the anti-gravity treadmill  I guess that could be with crutches but that would be a weird way to phrase it.  

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I'd want to be damn fucking sure he was going to be back to normal for the 2021 season opener before I give him $35M-$40M/annually and perhaps guarantee it for 4-5 more years.

Edited by C-Man

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Connor Barwin is a good example in football, BTW.

Are we sure he's still on crutches?  Rapoport said he was walking a couple of weeks ago and doing pool work and the anti-gravity treadmill  I guess that could be with crutches but that would be a weird way to phrase it.  

I was basing it off of an SI article from 1/19, and from a cowboys podcast I listened to either last week or the week before. Now granted, the person who said it (Nick Eastman) is a noted dipshit who doesn’t know what the hell he’s talking about half the time, but he is seeing the players every day if I’m not mistaken.

Just now, C-Man said:

I'd want to be damn fucking sure he was going to be back to normal for the 2021 season opener before I give him $35M-$40M and perhaps guarantee it for 4-5 more years.

Lol that was last years going rate. He’s gonna end up getting $40mil+ unless he just decides to not use the leverage he has. 

34 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Lol that was last years going rate. He’s gonna end up getting $40mil+ unless he just decides to not use the leverage he has. 

Whatever it is. I want to know he's back to 100% or very close to it before I sink that in again and/or offer him a muti-year contract.

Isn't his franchise tag somewhere like $38M this year if they go down that road?

Edited by C-Man

13 hours ago, C-Man said:

I'd want to be damn fucking sure he was going to be back to normal for the 2021 season opener before I give him $35M-$40M/annually and perhaps guarantee it for 4-5 more years.

Personality goes a long way...

Not that we didn’t already know this, but after Tampa made it to the conference championship (and now the super bowl) every team in the NFC has made a conference championship game over the course of the last 11 years. Every team except for 3 teams. Washington, Detroit, and us.

I hope other owners remind Jerry about that every single day when he tries (and succeeds) to flex on them. That is just brutal company to be in. 25 years and counting, baby. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/28/2021 at 9:20 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

It's just typical made-up bullshit season for fake news outlets begging for eyeballs.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/28/2021 at 2:54 PM, C-Man said:

Whatever it is. I want to know he's back to 100% or very close to it before I sink that in again and/or offer him a muti-year contract.

Isn't his franchise tag somewhere like $38M this year if they go down that road?

Expected to be around 37/38m for 2nd franchise tag, yes.  The other issue is if you designate him with the franchise tag is it ties up all the money on your salary cap.  With the cap expected to reduce by at least 10m, you can pretty much say goodbye to any free agency acquisitions until the issue clears up or maybe guys on the cheap.  

On 1/28/2021 at 9:35 PM, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Heres' a question for you experts. Will Dak recover 100%? or is that ankle going to be just a little prone to being reinjured?

Again, Connor Barwin is a player who had this injury.  Gordon Hayward in basketball but slightly different.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Expected to be around 37/38m for 2nd franchise tag, yes.  The other issue is if you designate him with the franchise tag is it ties up all the money on your salary cap.  With the cap expected to reduce by at least 10m, you can pretty much say goodbye to any free agency acquisitions until the issue clears up or maybe guys on the cheap.  

Again, Connor Barwin is a player who had this injury.  Gordon Hayward in basketball but slightly different.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but you’re telling me these guys had their foot literally facing the opposite direction? I feel like I’ve never seen an injury that looked like that before, but I’m sure you’re right. 

26 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but you’re telling me these guys had their foot literally facing the opposite direction? I feel like I’ve never seen an injury that looked like that before, but I’m sure you’re right. 

59e7b59dd4212.image.jpg?resize=1200,1194

Screen-Shot-2017-10-17-at-5.34.14-PM-e15

prescott-injury-0.jpg

All seem about the same...... bad.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I believe Paul George had it as well.

Yeah PG snapped his leg. My main point was that I didn’t think any of those guys got paid a “set the market” type of contract while they were still recovering from an injury like that. It seems unprecedented. But weed is legal out here in AZ so my memory is probably just foggy.

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Because I’m always on my phone and the code buttons aren’t there, and I do t feel like typing it out. 

Yeah because we all desperately needed to see Jason Kendall, a baseball player, and his gruesome injury right this second. Definitely couldn’t wait until later, or not be posted at all. Just had to add it right away. 

Im halfway kidding, but god damn dude lol. Got me throwing up in my mouth over here just to prove something I already know. I was wrong lol

Edited by youdunnf'dup