2021 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

IT notes on Pro Day:

Spoiler

— From sources who attended UT's Pro Day:

Sam Cosmi was widely thought to be the best prospect. He was a borderline 1st round OL, now he's viewed as a sure-fire 1st rounder. 36 reps on the bench were impressive. His 4.8 40 was equally impressive. San Francisco, Atlanta, and New Orleans are showing the most interest.

Joseph Ossai tested better than expected. He's regarded as a late 1st, mid-2nd round prospect. The 41.5" vert was incredible at 6-foot-3.5, 256 pounds. If he had a set position, he might go higher. The NFL wants versatility, so that will help his cause. Indianapolis, Washington, and Baltimore showing the most interest.

Ta’Quon Graham was another scouts were talking about. A solid Senior Bowl + good film has put Graham in the discussion for the 4th-6th round. Seattle, Baltimore, and the LA Chargers are interested.

Caden Sterns surprised some folks on Thursday. His 4.40 was very unexpected. Still, question marks about toughness remain. Dallas, New York Jets, and Detroit are interested.

Brennan Eagles didn't do well. He led the WR group in drops, which is more of a concentration issue. If he gets drafted, there's talk it'll be 6th-7th round, but there's concern he wouldn't make a roster.

Chris Brown will have to make his professional living on special teams, or at least get his foot in the NFL door. Unlikely he's selected.

Sam Ehlinger changed a few narratives. Scouts were expecting to see an athlete playing QB, but they found a quarterback with athletic traits. He threw 58 balls — 50 were great, five were solid, three were bad. His final throw of the day was a 65-yard seam to Brennan Eagles that was said to be his best throw of the day. Sam's 40 times fluctuated from 4.65-4.8. Previously he was a "stomper" as a runner, but now at 220 pounds, he showed he was lighter and moving a little better. Great feet were mentioned a few times. He did a series of off-platform throws (Patrick Mahomes style passes where you're training your muscles to throw at all different angles), and received good reviews.

Scouts we talk to view the QBs like this:

Trevor Lawrence, Clemson

Justin Fields, Ohio State/Zach Wilson, BYU

Trey Lance, North Dakota State

Mac Jones, Alabama

Sam Ehlinger, Texas/Kyle Trask, Florida/Jamie Newman, ”Georgia”

Kellen Mond, A&M (don’t tell Chris Simms)

If you see four QBs go in the first round, and there's talk Mac Jones goes to New England in the 1st if they don't trade for Jimmy Garrapolo, then Ehlinger is looking at a 4th-5th round selection. If QBs stay on the board longer, Ehlinger could go later.

One scout who also attended Clemson's Pro Day, mentioned that from 0-20 yards, Trevor is the standard, but from 20-beyond, there was little difference in Lawrence and Ehlinger getting the ball down the field. That was, uh, surprising to hear, but tells you Ehlinger had a quality day throwing against air. Washington, New Orleans, and Miami are interested in Ehlinger.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Those measurements should quiet the talk about moving to guard, which never made sense anyway. He killed the combine overall but not sure it’ll be enough to get him in the first round. 

I believe he will get into the first, along with Ossai. Numbers like that are enough to move him up boards with near comparable film to some other prospects. At the end of the day, QB, tackle, and edge rusher are the three premium positions in football. Both Ossai and Cosmi are testing as top athletes at those positions in this draft with great film to back it up. 

Edited by Vertigo

Eagles is going to regret declaring early.  He's always been deemed athletic but those numbers are pedestrian if that for a guy that's supposed to have "elite" athletic traits.  Combine that with the fact that he has terrible on field production and has bad hands, I don't see how he's going to stick on a practice squad.  LJH at least has natural football talent/instincts even if his work ethic and athleticism can be argued as lacking.  I think Eagles will get picked up as a free agent, will enjoy half a cup of coffee, and then probably get cut.  

As far as Sterns.  I thought that dude was going to be the next DBU great.  He didn't improve after his freshman year due to injuries or whatever.  I still saw him make solid plays but his lack of effort in many cases and his constant drama with the fans was exhausting.  Every fanbase has idiot alumni and our alumni are no different.  It's sad that a student has to deal with dumbass alumni but Caden hasn't exactly been a solid teammate either.  Seems like he's burned whatever bridge he had with the fanbase and honestly, he should be thankful that Sark and Company are letting him into the facility after negative recruiting us to recruits.  Don't shit on the fans that give you the facilities and resources for you to train and shit on the university on your way out.  I hope he enjoys whatever NFL career he has but I think all of us are ready for him to move on forever.  Let whatever NFL owner/gm deal with his drama from here on out.

Ossai is a fucking monster.  I would be shocked if he fell out of the 1st round after that pro day.  The guy has been playing football for what... 7-8 years barely?  He has so much potential, the right attitude, elite athleticism and is probably the most natural pass rusher in the draft.  He's the best player on this team.  

Cosmi is going in the 1st after his pro-day as well.  I know people have questioned him opting out but fuck... I would as well if I was in his shoes and was a potential 1st round pick.  Look what happened to Kerstetter.

Sam getting drafted at all is going to be a great story.  This kid bled on the field, in practice, carried this team when his teammates quit, and was dealt a shitty coaching staff.  I thought his peak would be a solid to above average college QB.  He's improved so much as a passer from his freshman year.  I think he would make a solid back up in the league.  If Garrett Gilbert can, Sam definitely can.  I'll say this much, I'm not going to doubt the kid.  Put him with some good coaches, and the kid has the right attitude, mentors, experience, and work ethic to improve.  It would be great for the university to have a QB drafted and sell it, even if it's in the 5th-6th round.

Chris Brown was solid during his time here.  He liked to flex a lot... sure.  But he was probably the most consistent DB on this roster the last 2 years.   If you had to told me Chris Brown would be the starter for 2 years ahead of a bunch of 5 star DBs, out perform them, and have a shot at the league, I would have bet my savings on him likely transferring to a G5 school instead.  I think people take his passion the wrong way sometimes.  I don't have issues with him flexing... as stupid as it looked.  Atleast he played with fire unlike some of our players... Sterns... cough cough.  Hopefully he enjoys a cup of coffee in the league.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Ultimately I don't think it would have mattered when Eagles declared. The guy is just not a very natural pass catcher, aside from the bad hands he also just never really had the body control and coordination to track the football and make plays. I'm sure that goes into what makes his hands "bad" in the first place. Really tantalizing size/speed combo but I don't think he could have learned those things even with an extra year. Sark would have probably had him put up some numbers though. 

Really hope it shakes out that they both go in the 1st. We need to break the streak of no first rounders. 

It's unbelievable we haven't had a guy go in the 1st since Malcom Brown in 2015 and haven't had multiple since 2007 with Aaron Ross and M Griffin. Just inexcusable with the amount of 1st round talent the TXHS football has produced in that stretch. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Lincoln Riley is a good QB coach but imo he gets overhyped as a "QB guru". It's far more impressive to turn a mid-three star in Jones into a top 10 NFL pick than it is to take a five star QB and develop him into a top pick (Rattler, probably).

https://247sports.com/Player/Baker-Mayfield-20771/high-school-33131/

I suppose this would be the Okie rebuttal you might anticipate

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Lincoln Riley is a good QB coach but imo he gets overhyped as a "QB guru". It's far more impressive to turn a mid-three star in Jones into a top 10 NFL pick than it is to take a five star QB and develop him into a top pick (Rattler, probably).

My first thought would be that if Mac Jones gets taken before Justin Fields, that's a pretty big "recruiting" win.

4 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Baker-Mayfield-20771/high-school-33131/

I suppose this would be the Okie rebuttal you might anticipate

Lulz yeah, even for a UT board, that was an oddly biased and poorly thought out critique of Riley. He’s shown he can get just about any QB to put up great numbers and look good in his system.

The real question with Riley’s QBs is whether NFL teams start to think he creates system QBs. His offense is based on the run first and he usually has a great OL and creates open, easy first reads for his QBs. Mayfield hasn’t been very good for a #1 overall pick so far. Murray’s an incomplete but has promise in large part due to his athleticism. I don’t expects Hurts to be very good and think he got overdrafted. We’ll have to see what happens with Rattler, but right now at least, I think he’ll end up in the same boat. 

I don’t really view that as a knock on Riley, either. If your system is so good that it gets guys overdrafted then that just means you’re a good coach. I think you could say the same for Sark. He’s gotten guys like Leinart, Sanchez, and Kessler way overdrafted. The only guy he didn’t get overdrafted is probably Palmer. It’s looking like he might have done the same with Tua, and if Jones actually goes in the top 5, then I think he’ll have done it with him too. 

Am I the only person that finds the Justin Fields projections of going in the top 5 picks to be fascinating? He fucking sucked at times last year. Sure, he looked great throwing bombs to guys streaking wide open down the field, but a lot of guys not named Sam Ehlinger can do that. 

I don’t know, I guess my view may not age well, but I think he’s a terrific candidate to be a complete bust. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Am I the only person that finds the Justin Fields projections of going in the top 5 picks to be fascinating? He fucking sucked at times last year. Sure, he looked great throwing bombs to guys streaking wide open down the field, but a lot of guys not named Sam Ehlinger can do that. 

I don’t know, I guess my view may not age well, but I think he’s a terrific candidate to be a complete bust. 

I think that is pretty much the consensus view, but that's not going to stop a desperate team from taking him.

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Depends where he goes. If the Jets take him hes fucking toast. But get him with Shanahan and its a different story

• Hook 'Em 1