2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

Glad to see Colby lose. That guy is a turd and that was an awful showing. 

thankfully Tony didn’t win so he’d get another fight. Dana can’t possibly give him another, can he?  The fact that Paddy couldn’t put him away and gassed out so quickly isn’t good. 

shavkhat is a problem. Can’t wait to see him in the upcoming 12-24 months.  He almost looked like he had too much respect for Wonderboy and didn’t want to hurt him. Would love to see him end Colby’s career. 

Emmett’s KO was perhaps the cleanest, most devastating one punch KOs I’ve ever seen. Felt like you could see dude’s brain slam against his skull. 

Royval just doesn’t have athleticism to get out of control.  looked like he had windows to explode and escape but couldn’t do it.  

Strickland - I like in other vid you can see him politely ask Gilbert’s kid to move out of the way. And then proceeds to go over the row to get at Dricus. Crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Strickland is scared of success, it’s pretty obvious. And it makes sense with his childhood. Don’t like the pressures and confusion of suddenly attaining your highest goals, then tell your boss in press conference that you “don’t give a duck about the belt” and risk getting a title fight canceled one month out due to injury.

I’m pretty sure he doesn’t drink, thank god.

Edited by JohnnyRage

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Scraps said:

Du Plessis is gonna skullfuck Strickland

I'm afraid so.

DP is honed in on his goal and this is the culmination of his life's work. Strickland, if you believe his words and past performances, is more at peace banging in the center of the Octagon for the delight of the masses and his own masochism. This often works, but sometimes he just doesn't have it mentally to finish the kill. He admits to not watching his past fights or that of his opponents. He doesn't take fights to the ground and pledges not to in this one. Good luck with that strategy.

However if DP presses for two rounds without inflicting too much damage, there is a chance for Sean to start to pour it on and DP's power to be limited. DP had septum surgery and his cardio is much better.

Strickland has made up with DP although the media and UFC will try to hype it the other way. The only fight that seems to be tinged with true animosity is Raquel Pennington vs Mayra Bueno Silva fight. I don't know enough there.

I think this fight hinges almost entirely on DDP being able to get it to the mat.  

Strickland is very good at avoiding being hit.  For all his psycho talk, he's actually a very technical and careful point fighter.  His modified Philly whatever defense combined with his high punch accuracy and cardio are a nightmare in a 5-round fight.  I think if it stays standing, he can win 3 or 4 rounds for sure.

On the other hand, if DDP can score takedowns with any consistency, it probably goes very badly for Strickland.    

So, I think it's either DDP by GnP or sub, or Strickland by decision.

Also, the rest of this card does nothing for me.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

Yeah i see strickland trying to post about strikes which is cool and all but he also got taken down 6 times throughtout the fight (not a ton of damage done during them though admittidly). The sig strikes in rd 2(DDP had more), 3, 4 were practically even.

Strickland won the fight.  The judging is corrupt.  They gave another fighter the L earlier that night because damage…there is zero consistency.

In a close fight the champ should take it.  To be the man you gotta beat the man.  Does the South African look like he won a fight?  To me, it looks like he got his ass whipped.

People pretty split on who won. Dana White thought Strickland won, but says he has no interest in a rematch. Strickland posting about a headbutt that caused bleeding into his eye making it difficult to see, but not saying that's why he lost giving credit to DP.

I think all judges were the same except for the 3rd round.

Was able to find the Magny vs Malott fight. Amazing to be winning rather dominantly and gassing out the finally minute to not defend a position that Neil found himself in multiple times.

Edited by JohnnyRage

11 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Strickland won the fight.  The judging is corrupt.  They gave another fighter the L earlier that night because damage…there is zero consistency.

In a close fight the champ should take it.  To be the man you gotta beat the man.  Does the South African look like he won a fight?  To me, it looks like he got his ass whipped.

Did you watch the fight? Strickland's face was fucked up and he bled a ton. His eye was slicked open and had a nasty cut up on the head. 

It's scored by round and 2,3,and 4 Du Plessi controlled the fight, landed the harder shots, and got Strickland to the ground repeatedly. Du Plessi also pushed the pace and walked Strickland down all fight which almost always plays well with judges. 

It was close and the score cards showed that. Split decision with no fighter winning by more than 1 round on any card. Absolutely nothing corrupt there. Strickland has a great jab but really did nothing else behind it for most of the fight. No effective combos, no kick game, and was either walking backwards looking to sit on the jab or trying to get up after getting taken down for the entirety of the middle 3 rounds. Hard to win a decision like that. 

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Did you watch the fight? Strickland's face was fucked up and he bled a ton. His eye was slicked open and had a nasty cut up on the head. 

It's scored by round and 2,3,and 4 Du Plessi controlled the fight, landed the harder shots, and got Strickland to the ground repeatedly. Du Plessi also pushed the pace and walked Strickland down all fight which almost always plays well with judges. 

It was close and the score cards showed that. Split decision with no fighter winning by more than 1 round on any card. Absolutely nothing corrupt there. Strickland has a great jab but really did nothing else behind it for most of the fight. No effective combos, no kick game, and was either walking backwards looking to sit on the jab or trying to get up after getting taken down for the entirety of the middle 3 rounds. Hard to win a decision like that. 

I saw him piece the South African up.  Strickland’s face opened from an inadvertent headbutt.  Easy decision.  Still the champ.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel bad for Joe Pyfer. Has a great perseverance story of child abuse, overcoming a devastating injury, and living in poverty.

Shouldn't have gassed out against a veteran fighter having only once ever seen a third round before. And yes, you lost because of the relentless calf kicks. Live and learn.

Claims to hit hard than Ngannou, not after 2 rounds on one leg.

Edited by JohnnyRage