2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

Cerrone still has a UFC contract!
How awesome is that.  One of my favorites even though he's had a horrible last few years.

Saw him in person at a  UFC Fight Night at the Frank Erwin a few years ago.

Had decent tickets.

I hope he can get one against Joe, who is no joke but also not an up and comer anymore. 

image.thumb.png.c51b2b87bacb0d1e2f5c5e56c1997511.png

Moicano not happy about being "given" an extra round or two as a gift.  

Nice on dos Anjos to give us a show after some crap earlier fights.

Nice on Moicano on taking a late notice fight?  I hadn't been paying attention coming into this PPV.

I don't have a winner in the next fight.

Give me the Trump voter or the BMF champ, I'll take either one.

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That fight was boring as hell

I mean, that's what you get with Colby.  His standup is pretty good, but what he really wants to do is put you against the fence, lean on you, take you down, and do just enough damage to keep the position and win rounds.  He's the wrestling version of a point fighter.  

It's like I said about Sean Strickland -- the shit talking doesn't match the fighter.  They're both caricatures who want to be the next Chael Sonnen without half the brains or humor to pull it off, and when the cage door closes they actually fight pretty conservatively, take no chances, don't care if the fans are entertained, and rack up a bunch of decisions.  Good for them, I guess.

8 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Covingtons wrestling is A+

His shit talking is F-

So fake and whack lol

His little character did get him staying on the UFC roster, then went from fighting nobodies to beating up RDA, Lawler, Woodley and a couple title shots.

I think he's in the Chael Sonnon school of pro wrasslin heel because his fight style isn't enough. 

11 minutes ago, Zeus said:

His little character did get him staying on the UFC roster, then went from fighting nobodies to beating up RDA, Lawler, Woodley and a couple title shots.

I think he's in the Chael Sonnon school of pro wrasslin heel because his fight style isn't enough. 

Kayla Harrison supposedly knows him really well since he was a kid and said he was a shy guy who was boring and was about to get dropped by the UFC so his manager created that trumpy heel persona but the kid took it too far. That's her story anyway.

Does he not have any power at all? For all the shots he got on Masvidal there was no cut and not even any swelling whatsoever. Masvidal didn't look like he had been in much of a fight much less a guy who had been hit repeatedly for 25 minutes. Covington's face looked way worse and he took many fewer hits. I was thinking his style was close to that of Khabib but Khabib was way more fun to watch. I think it's because he didn't just get a guy against the cage and ride out decisions. He finished people once he got then down there.

He'll never be any kind of a draw because he's so dull but my hope is Chimaev gets to him and we can see who's the better grappler. Although it looks like Chimaev has way more power.

Edited by Junior Miller

8 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Kayla Harrison supposedly knows him really well since he was a kid and said he was a shy guy who was boring and was about to get dropped by the UFC so his manager created that trumpy heel persona but the kid took it too far. That's her story anyway.

Does he not have any power at all? For all the shots he got on Masvidal there was no cut and not even any swelling whatsoever. Masvidal didn't look like he had been in much of a fight much less a guy who had been hit repeatedly for 25 minutes. Covington's face looked way worse and he took many fewer hits. I was thinking his style was close to that of Khabib but Khabib was way more fun to watch. I think it's because he didn't just get a guy against the cage and ride out decisions. He finished people once he got then down there.

He'll never be any kind of a draw because he's so dull but my hope is Chimaev gets to him and we can see who's the better grappler. Although it looks like Chimaev has way more power.

Hard to tell with chimaev he's fought zero ranked fighters although picking up Jingling and talking to Dana was pretty funny last night. 

He said he wants to be the first triple division champ so there's that. I don't really think he's Khabib 2.0, Islam is much closer. Khabib was a beast because he was really healthy and perfect size to cut a shit ton and make 55 then maul guys because he was bigger + more skilled. 

Gilbert Burns is a real test I don't think he's gonna just walk right through him.

32 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Thug Nasty lmao

1646546881248-sp.jpg

I felt like I had seen this guy somewhere before but couldn't place him. Then I remembered it was a John Oliver segment about this guy doing a local car dealer commercial where he says he drove himself to the hospital after sawing off his nuts or something crazy like that

2 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Life is such an odd journey, and I know this is serious/not serious business, but this press conference is someone that I can point my son towards and say this is a real man in defeat and not defeated.

Yeah Jorge talked about going and camping and growing his hair out for a while and not partying and grew the fuck up a few years ago. He's a solid mother fucker now but still sucks he's separated from his baby momma.

On 3/5/2022 at 11:56 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

There are few things worse as a fan than the last two fights going 50 minutes. 

I gotta disagree on the Moicano fight. A longtime UFC commentator and a former World Champion, that had in the past lied about the safety of his own vision on many levels in order to win that championship, were both in agreement about the reasoning on the brutality of the lopsidedness. The ref thought about stopping it almost begging the corner man, then fighter, then doctor to give him a reason to wave it off, not only to have Moicano finish the fight but finish strong. It was kind of epic.

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

Yeah Jorge talked about going and camping and growing his hair out for a while and not partying and grew the fuck up a few years ago. He's a solid mother fucker now but still sucks he's separated from his baby momma.

I guess my knowledge of him doesn't go that deep, but I am fascinated by the realness of his origins and the life and fight intelligence that he still posseses after all of the hits and losses he has taken. And he's got swag.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Covington Masvidal thing is so transparent.  Both those guys ham up their character for the public.  That means there's various shreds of truth underpinning the facade that they build.  He played up this persona, and it rubbed Masvidal the wrong way.  Masvidal being a very prideful and impulsive dude can't overlook that, simultaneously causing Covington to dig into role more.  It's just the perfect storm of drama.

Colby was 1-0 in the UFC when he said this in 2014:

Q: What is your opinion on the Conor/Chael style of self promotion? Is it something you look to do in the future to promote yourself?  I personally think it's super cheesy, but not doing it leaves so much money on the table that I wouldn't blame anyone for faking it.

A:  I think it speaks for itself. it sells and makes guys superstars, so if thats what it takes then I'm willing to do it but you have to back it up and i can do that.

He was on a Ryan Bader path of talent vs marketability, and where he is now worked out for him. 

Anyway, that main event was great.  2 displays of dominance - RDA's class, and Covington's wrestling mastery.

• Hook 'Em 1

Give me a whole card stacked with epic back and forth displays of personalities, mixed martial arts, coaching, exhaustion, synergy, blitz and defense. It's a logical fallacy to say two five round decisions are bad for the sport or as a fan, whether they are the first two, last two or mixed in between.

Edited by JohnnyRage

some of the best fights are 5 round decisions.  jones reyes. masvidal diaz. usman covington. fig moreno. etc.

and they're the closing fights of the event.  theyre not the prelim fight, holding up the main card.  dont see the problem. 

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

And how many shitty 25-minute fights are there? WAY more.

What you idiots can’t grasp is I said it fucking sucks when a card finishes with two 5-round decisions. That shit sucks. 

okay cool, dana white will refund your ppv fee shortly.