2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

Never a dull moment. 

UFC fighter Kevin Holland says he helped apprehend a man who shot a gun off at a Houston restaurant Monday night.

Holland told ESPN on Tuesday that he was eating sushi with his friend, Patrick Robinson, when he heard a loud bang and saw people running away in fear. Holland said he and Robinson saw another man try to wrestle the gun away from the shooter, so Holland and Robinson approached to help disarm the man and detain him until police arrived.

"I wouldn't tell the next person to do it unless they're seriously trained for that type of situation," Holland said. "Besides doing cage fighting, I train self-defense first and foremost. For me, that was the best way to defend myself at the moment. Plus, I like Batman."

A Houston Police Department spokesman told ESPN that it is against policy to release the names of witnesses, so police could not confirm Holland's involvement. But Holland's account lines up with what the police have described.

According to a Houston PD spokesman, the suspect fired a gun into the air at the restaurant inside the Highland Village shopping center at around 11:30 p.m. Monday. After the shot went off, the person sitting next to the gunman in the restaurant grabbed his hand, pointed the gun away and attempted to subdue him as officers were en route.

The suspected gunman has been identified as 24-year-old Jesus Samaniego, according to police. He faces charges of deadly conduct and unlawfully carrying a weapon

Holland said he didn't know a shot had been fired until he saw people running away.

"I was facing one way and then we he heard a big, loud bang," Holland said. "I thought it was a champagne bottle popping, because the people behind us were having a birthday party. I go to look around and I see people running like they had the look of death on [their] face, like super worried."

Holland said he and Robinson "got low" and ducked for cover, then looked in the direction of the shot. Holland said he saw the gunman and the man who grabbed his arm. The gun, at that point, was facing toward Holland, Robinson and other patrons, Holland said. Rather than run away, Holland said he and Robinson went around the other side. Holland said he picked up a chair to hit the gunman, but couldn't tell who the gunman was and who was the good Samaritan, because they were wrestling on the ground.

Holland noticed the man on the bottom of the skirmish was the one holding the gun. He said he and Robinson helped pry the gun out of his hand. Holland said he then took the man into his lap, wrapped his legs around his legs and put him in a rear-naked choke submission hold.

"As soon as he was [asleep], I let go of the choke, slid out on top, got full mount, stretched the arms out so he couldn't reach for anything," Holland said.

Holland said he and Robinson grabbed the man's backpack and tossed it to the side and made sure the gun was not within reach. The police arrived shortly after, he said.

"You see it on the news, or you see it on TV or the movies and stuff, but you never see it actually in life, and it is crazy that nobody got hurt," Robinson told ABC 13 in Houston.

Holland said growing up in a rough area of Riverside, California, he was always told that if an attacker has a knife, go away from the knife. If an attacker has a gun, go toward the gun. But he said he has been training in self-defense, kung fu and now MMA for most of his life, so he would not recommend most people take that approach.

"It seemed like the safer route to go to it instead of going away from it," Holland said.

Holland is no stranger to these types of situations. The Texas resident says he chased down his vehicle and helped detain a suspected robber last October, just two days after a UFC fight. Holland said he's not sure how these circumstances keep happening to him.

"I have no idea," he said. "I would like to end up in less situations, to be honest with you. I was just talking with my people about that not too long ago. I'm always into some B.S., you know what I mean?"

Holland, 29, is a popular UFC fighter who just made his welterweight debut by beating Alex Oliveira at UFC 272 on March 5 in Las Vegas. He has just two losses in his past nine fights and tied the record for most UFC wins (5) in a single calendar year in 2020.

Paddy was literally and easily the least impressive of the main card. Gunnar dominated grappling, molly and arnold dominated striking, tom dominated everything….

Paddy got hit, taken down, gnp…and he later salvaged an RNC. against a 36 year old dude whos 1-2 in the UFC. 

Makwan is featherweight  have them fight next  

Now he’s resorted to sucker punches outside a restaurant. 

Colby Covington scored a lopsided unanimous decision over Jorge Masvidal when they met earlier this month at UFC 272, but apparently they have unfinished business.

Masvidal is suspected of felony battery in connection with an altercation Monday, according to a Miami Beach police report obtained by ESPN. The other person involved, who lost teeth, wasn't identified after invoking that right under Marsy's Law, Miami Beach Police Public Information Officer Ernesto Rodriguez told ESPN.

Masvidal tagged Covington in a tweet and said in the accompanying video: "You talk that s---, you got to back it up. That's how my city rolls, man."

TMZ, which obtained video from the incident that shows police at the scene in front of Miami Beach hot spot Papi Steak, caught Covington on camera saying: "He's over here swinging, trying to come at me, and I ran. ... How would he know I'm here?"

Masvidal's manager, Malki Kawa, didn't respond to a message seeking comment.

The other person told police, after they responded at 10:55 p.m. ET, that he was attacked by Masvidal as he was walking away from the restaurant. According to the person, Masvidal ran up from the left and sucker-punched him twice. One punch was to his mouth and the other to his left eye. During the attack, the person said, Masvidal told him, "You shouldn't have been talking about my kids." Masvidal repeated a similar statement on social media.

The person suffered a fractured left tooth and an abrasion to his left wrist. Masvidal, according to the person's account, was wearing a blue surgical mask and a hoodie that covered his head. He was able to identify Masvidal, he said, because of his trademark curly hair that flowed out of the hoodie in addition to his voice and the upper half of his face.

Masvidal, 37, is from Miami, while Covington now resides in the city. The friends-turned-enemies exchanged heated words in the lead-up to their UFC bout, which was named Fight of the Night.

The defeat was Masvidal's third consecutive, including two losses to Kamaru Usman, in his attempts to win the UFC welterweight championship. He signed an extension with UFC before the fight.

Covington, 34, rebounded from his own loss to Usman with the victory over Masvidal. He's currently ranked No. 2 by ESPN at welterweight.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:10 AM, JohnnyRage said:

Good morning, it's Colby Covington ass kicking day.

Drexl Spivey : He must have thought it was white boy day. It ain't white boy day, is it?

Marty : No man, It ain't white boy day.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/33571779/ufc-welterweights-colby-covington-jorge-masvidal-alleged-dust-miami-beach-restaurant-police-called-scene

Edited by JohnnyRage
that length

Sounds like Sonnen got fucked up and went wilding in a Vegas hotel

https://www.tmz.com/2022/03/29/chael-sonnen-allegedly-threw-woman-into-light-fixture-and-struck-her-in-vegas-fight/

I've always considered UFC fighters the pit bulls of the human race. Repeated blows to the head combined with physical martial arts training few people are going to be able to match....bad combo. 

Reports around Chael Sonnen’s December 2021 arrest in Las Vegas keep getting stranger. Originally spun as a story of Sonnen virtuously protecting his wife from inappropriate comments by former UFC fighter and podcast host Brendan Schaub, a recent lawsuit and police reports from the night paint a very different picture.

Sonnen is currently facing 11 counts of battery, including felony strangulation, after claims that he struck a Four Seasons Las Vegas employee as the man was exiting a hotel room. That man claims he called security, but before security could arrive, Sonnen had apparently accosted two other hotel guests—Christopher and Julie Stellpflug.

The Stellpflugs claim that Sonnen struck Christopher repeatedly in the head and attempted to choke him, then turned on Julie, throwing her against a light fixture and striking her in the face, resulting in a bloody lip. The couple is currently in the process of suing Sonnen over the altercation.

“Am I going to die? Is this monster going to kill my wife next, and my kids will have no parents?” Christopher Stellpflug recently told Las Vegas Review-Journal. “We did nothing wrong, and this guy went on a crazy rampage.”

When security finally did arrive, police reports state that Sonnen attacked the guard as well—striking him in the throat before going on to elbow and shove another bystander who witnessed the altercation.

While the Las Vegas Review-Journal’s coverage of the incident includes information disputing Schaub’s version of events, notably that Sonnen’s wife had apparently been asleep for several hours at the time after taking sleeping pills, a new report from TMZ added another wrinkle: that Sonnen apparently told police at the time that couldn’t remember the incident.

The report claims that Sonnen told officers that he and his wife had both taken sleeping pills and that he “did not have memory of anything” and “could not recall anything else” from the period of time after taking the pills and leading up to his arrest.

Dude needs some jail time. I can't figure out how it took 3 months to arrest him. You have to figure a vVgas hotel has cameras everywhere.

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sonnen has always been a piece of shit. I was always amused by his fanboys.

His podcast where he yells at me while seated alone in a chair in a quiet corner of a room drives me fucking insane. There's nobody else to shout over, lower your voice you fucking steakhead.

On 3/26/2021 at 1:30 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

Ortega v volkanovski was supposed to be on this card but volkanovski caught the rona. 

Just watched this fight for the first time, Holy shit what a couple of bad mofos those guys are. In Round 3 Ortega hit both a guillotine and a triangle that looked like they'd have finished most guys but those just pissed Volkanovski off and Ortega could barely get off the mat at the end of the round.  Great fight and classy shows of respect by both of them