Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

16 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Texas runs a lot of cover 4 match, which uses a lot of man principles. Texas DBs seem to have issues counting to 2-3.. Lot of errors in assigning who is the #1 and who is the #2, etc. Too lazy to look, but I am sure someone can find examples. Simple example would be like a post/wheel concept. Outside WR runs a post (he is #1 at the snap) and the slot runs a wheel (he is #2 on snap).. WR#1 breaks inside - he becomes #2. The slot breaks outside, he becomes #1.. In this case the the safety would get the post in Man and the CB would get the wheel in man. Texas is screwing up passing off the WRs at least 3-5 times a game. Its also why condensed/bunch sets throw them off. 

It's really hard to pass off the post so late in the route, especially when that same post is so important for the CB to cover against other concepts like mills or double post. I think most coaches would rather keep the CB on the post and have the nickel/will carry the wheel. That's more consistent with the match rules too, if you think about a wheel as a double move route that is flat-then-fade. If the #2 just went to the flat, the nickel/will would have that assignment, so when he continues vertically, the defender just stays with him. It's still a difficult assignment, which is why post/wheel is so good against quarters. Ideally, we'd play a different coverage against it, like what Saban/Patterson call Clamp/Cover Blue. That would have the CB take #2 as soon as he goes to the flat as part of the wheel route, but it would isolate the safety on the post, which we may not want with our personnel.

Edited by TotallyLegit
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I know this will go nowhere, but I’ll throw it out there anyway.

The crosser discussion regarding KSU is bullshit. Howard was 6-8 for 49 yards from 0-10 in the middle of the field. Yes, there was the TD. Outside of the hash to the right at 10+ yards, he was 5-6 for 108 and a TD. 2-2, 17 yards and a TD to the left. His 4 TD passes were to different sectors of the field, different routes. Any crosses hitting outside the opposite hash doesn’t really support getting more sacks because those aren’t immediate throws. I don’t recall those anyway.

The claim about more sacks because of better coverage is false too. That short crosser for the TD, watch it again. Bad coverage, but we weren’t sacking shit as all 4 rushers ran themselves out of the play.

There simply weren’t many crossing routes. Just watch the late 3rd and into the 4th. Our rush lanes were garbage. Howard most often escaped right. A big under appreciated play was the 3rd and 10 at 27-7. No pressure and in fact parted the middle of the field for the completion.

I’m not saying we can’t or don’t need to be better on that but the pass rush containment was more significant.

Our DEs (not including Hill) dropped into coverage 5 times. Barron rushed 5 times. Trying to surprise a veteran Oline is not surprising and really didn’t have a negative impact on our defense.

Watch this at 19.30.. this is exactly what myself and Scipio are talking about. This is a clinic in how not to defend a mesh concept on a KSU TD pass. Watching Watts (I think) and Gbenda here is almost comical. Pretty clear there is nobody communicating that crossers are coming. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is 2 TDs KSU scored on coverage busts. Its got to get cleaned up this week, because Texas is probably going to see 50 pass attempts tomorrow. 

Well, it has been 9 games. Maybe we finally get it by game 10. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Watch this at 19.30.. this is exactly what myself and Scipio are talking about. This is a clinic in how not to defend a mesh concept on a KSU TD pass. Watching Watts (I think) and Gbenda here is almost comical. Pretty clear there is nobody communicating that crossers are coming. 

Yes, I know. That’s 1 play. And look at the pass rush, it was equally shitty. 3 rushers 5 yards beyond where the QB ended up. Howard had no obstructed view and possibly could have run for 6 too. Part of his point was that we’d get more sacks if they covered that better. They didn’t beat us with this 10 times and this is an example of people latching on to one play and projected it as repeated failures over a full game. Houston was worse, but they went 4 WRs more often and likely put in some special shit for us.

We’ve got multiple things to work on. Pass rush contain was worse in this game than struggling against mesh or crossing routes.

Gbenda seems to be a real problem in pass coverage.  Expect AntHill to get a lot more playing time against the toads since he is better in coverage.

Hopefully our front four stymie the toads run game because sometimes AntHill gets out of position defending the run.

• How will Texas use Blackwell against the toads???
  • PK needs to use AntHill more to rush the passer on Saturday like he did vs Bama

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yes, I know. That’s 1 play. And look at the pass rush, it was equally shitty. 3 rushers 5 yards beyond where the QB ended up. Howard had no obstructed view and possibly could have run for 6 too. Part of his point was that we’d get more sacks if they covered that better. They didn’t beat us with this 10 times and this is an example of people latching on to one play and projected it as repeated failures over a full game. Houston was worse, but they went 4 WRs more often and likely put in some special shit for us.

We’ve got multiple things to work on. Pass rush contain was worse in this game than struggling against mesh or crossing routes.

I didnt go through it, but after Houston you can understand why people would point this out. The only way Texas stops this is with a sack. Lane disciplined lacked, but pressure was there. The 2nd/3rd level was in complete disarray. 

I didnt go through it, but after Houston you can understand why people would point this out. The only way Texas stops this is with a sack. Lane disciplined lacked, but pressure was there. The 2nd/3rd level was in complete disarray. 

And you don’t get to 2nd in the country in 3rd down defense or red zone defense without some damn good coverage. Our pass rush is not THAT good. Our coverage unit has some flaws.

We did pressure KSU, but when you miss the sack or provide an easy escape particularly up the middle to the QBs or his strong side, that opens up big play possibilities. That happened multiple times. And that was the first, but not only, problem versus OU on the big Stoops catch and run.

9 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

And you don’t get to 2nd in the country in 3rd down defense or red zone defense without some damn good coverage. Our pass rush is not THAT good. Our coverage unit has some flaws.

We did pressure KSU, but when you miss the sack or provide an easy escape particularly up the middle to the QBs or his strong side, that opens up big play possibilities. That happened multiple times. And that was the first, but not only, problem versus OU on the big Stoops catch and run.

If I remember correctly Texas had 3 coverage busts on the final drive of the OU game.  I believe Ford and Williams jumped the RB and left Stoops uncovered. The pass rush can mask coverage bust, but that does not mean they are not there. Texas has been simply god awful in the 2 minute defense this year. Overall the defense has been damn good, but it certainly has weaknesses people can attack. 

Edited by Codaxx

Gbenda seems to be a real problem in pass coverage.  Expect AntHill to get a lot more playing time against the toads since he is better in coverage.
Hopefully our front four stymie the toads run game because sometimes AntHill gets out of position defending the run.
  • How will Texas use Blackwell against the toads???
  • PK needs to use AntHill more to rush the passer on Saturday like he did vs Bama

Gbenda didn’t play much against KSU. Hill is hit or miss in coverage. Hill rushed the passer more the last two weeks than in any other games as best as I can tell.

On that KSU TD, if that’s Gbendas man, that’s terrible play design. If it’s zone, the WR is leaving Gbendas zone so that wouldn’t be him. A Lb chasing any WR across the field is a recipe for failure. That said, it’s so convoluted who knows what’s supposed to happen.

Go watch the 4th and 6 versus KSU. The contain was lost, but Blackwell was the main issue on that conversion. As poor of coverage we’ve had all season given down, distance, coverage and offensive play call.

Geez. I need to put together a mini-clinic on the coverages we run.

3 hours ago, TotallyLegit said:

It's really hard to pass off the post so late in the route, especially when that same post is so important for the CB to cover against other concepts like mills or double post. I think most coaches would rather keep the CB on the post and have the nickel/will carry the wheel. That's more consistent with the match rules too, if you think about a wheel as a double move route that is flat-then-fade. If the #2 just went to the flat, the nickel/will would have that assignment, so when he continues vertically, the defender just stays with him. It's still a difficult assignment, which is why post/wheel is so good against quarters. Ideally, we'd play a different coverage against it, like what Saban/Patterson call Clamp/Cover Blue. That would have the CB take #2 as soon as he goes to the flat as part of the wheel route, but it would isolate the safety on the post, which we may not want with our personnel.

This.  The idea that Brooks was supposed to zone off the Post is ass.  Ideally, the safety sees what is coming and midpoints the Post-Curl, but his responsibility is the Curl.

The corner stays on his man against CFL concepts also (Post-Wheel being in that family).  In fact, he's never not going to not play a Post because in Sky his match is also his key.  Man everything vertical, regardless of what anyone else is doing.  If your guy runs to China, you better have booked a flight on Cathay Pacific.

And if we aren't playing Sky on that play, what is Brooks keying? Who does he think he's going to cover after releasing the post?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think we can definitively say this considering what our opponents OL are able to get away with. In the game they weren't able to get away with it our pass rush looked elite.

I agree. But I’m stating it based on what they’re being allowed to do. I’m a big fan of what our guys up front are doing and agree their success is hindered a great deal by that bs. As I mentioned previously, lost contain is probably a function of that excessive holding in that they’re trying to do too much to make a play.

Geez. I need to put together a mini-clinic on the coverages we run.

Ideally, the safety sees what is coming and midpoints the Post-Curl, but his responsibility is the Curl.

Do it on the coverages.

Need to watch the Taafe pick again. Thompson is the playside S there (I believe). And it may have played out similarly. The outside WR ran much deeper but Brooks took the deep in breaking route and the S crashed down to the inside. And logistically, I’d rather have my CB running with a WR than a S.

On 11/8/2023 at 1:30 PM, Had Enough said:

Every team, every situation, every scheme are a bit different. So when I compare Hamilton to Cine, there are reasons that can be a flawed comparison. What I can say is that lack of speed is not a deal breaker for Hamilton with his current team.

Pretty much every player has a fit that fits their skill set. The mental aspect of S is more difficult than CB. You take one false step or you delay for 0.3 then that 4.4 guy isn’t that fast anymore. There are probably only a small handful of plays that you’d ever be able to use make up speed.

There’s lot of discussion here about converting guys to S. It could work but maybe not. If you look at the NFL, the S converts that come to mind are aging CBs that were physical. Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, Ronnie Lott(although he was younger). Given the history of the league, it’s a pretty short list to my knowledge.

There should be reasonable expectations that passes will be completed and TD passes given up. And for us, this year it is different players giving it up, different play calls, different failings.

GettyImages-1423227369.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Watched their third TD. Red Zone crossing rout. Middle of the field vacated. Defenders almost crossing each other. Two defenders bunched on one. Three defenders bunched on tight end, who was near goal line, towards north/northeast. It was horrifying.

Maybe this was a. bad example but it looks like our back seven just stepped on the field and barely knew what to do. My assumption is that they’ve been taught not to defend grass, especially in red zone.But it looked bad.

If TCU’s QB gets into any sort of rhythm, we’re in for a long day. They should not even bother running the football.

We’ve been very fortunate to go against some dogmeat offenses and backup QBs. TCU, Tech are definitely capable of knifing thru this bunch.

43 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Watched their third TD. Red Zone crossing rout. Middle of the field vacated. Defenders almost crossing each other. Two defenders bunched on one. Three defenders bunched on tight end, who was near goal line, towards north/northeast. It was horrifying.

Maybe this was a. bad example but it looks like our back seven just stepped on the field and barely knew what to do. My assumption is that they’ve been taught not to defend grass, especially in red zone.But it looked bad.

If TCU’s QB gets into any sort of rhythm, we’re in for a long day. They should not even bother running the football.

We’ve been very fortunate to go against some dogmeat offenses and backup QBs. TCU, Tech are definitely capable of knifing thru this bunch.

What if I told you TCU and Tech will both be starting backup QBs? 

22 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Gbenda didn’t play much against KSU. Hill is hit or miss in coverage. Hill rushed the passer more the last two weeks than in any other games as best as I can tell.

On that KSU TD, if that’s Gbendas man, that’s terrible play design. If it’s zone, the WR is leaving Gbendas zone so that wouldn’t be him. A Lb chasing any WR across the field is a recipe for failure. That said, it’s so convoluted who knows what’s supposed to happen.

Go watch the 4th and 6 versus KSU. The contain was lost, but Blackwell was the main issue on that conversion. As poor of coverage we’ve had all season given down, distance, coverage and offensive play call.

Nvm

Edited by Codaxx

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

IMG_0309.webp.66a987b5b5e0d319dadf4ceb7540ceb9.webp

The biggest issue is the back 2 levels don’t understand their rules. You can switch or basically play man.. Each has advantages and disadvantages vs certain concepts, but the key is all the players seeing it the same way. Can’t have 1 passing a player off and the other sticking to man principles. The rules are secondary.  What is important is the coaches ability to teach their rules and get everyone on the same page. That is not happening 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The biggest issue is the back 2 levels don’t understand their rules. You can switch or basically play man.. Each has advantages and disadvantages vs certain concepts, but the key is all the players seeing it the same way. Can’t have 1 passing a player off and the other sticking to man principles. The rules are secondary.  What is important is the coaches ability to teach their rules and get everyone on the same page. That is not happening 

it's almost like hiring DB coaches before you hire a DC is a bad move.

30 minutes ago, NoName said:

it's almost like hiring DB coaches before you hire a DC is a bad move.

Is it a special skill for a DB coach to know how to teach man vs zone? Seems pretty standard across all levels of football regardless of scheme, DC, etc.

Sorta reminds me how for years people said “we need a WR coach who teaches guys how to get off press coverage!” like it was some special skill only a few coaches had. We never hear that anymore because we aren’t trotting out Marcus Washington and Malcolm Epps at WR.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Is it a special skill for a DB coach to know how to teach man vs zone? Seems pretty standard across all levels of football regardless of scheme, DC, etc.

Sorta reminds me how for years people said “we need a WR coach who teaches guys how to get off press coverage!” like it was some special skill only a few coaches had. We never hear that anymore because we aren’t trotting out Marcus Washington and Malcolm Epps at WR.

Yeah, the kids are just making errors. Meanwhile Travis Hunter is out there jumping other DBs routes that are close to his.

Does Sark tell PK to leave Gideon alone? For entirety of Sark’s time here safety play has been “meh”. 
I just cant figure out how BG still has job. 

I find this mentality interesting. Pass yards = secondary play. Then it’s the safeties.

TCU had 3 drives of great success. One had a big play in which it appears Barron was the culprit. Also note that he went out and Guilbeau got some run. TCU and Houston probably had the most success

When we struggle, it’s generally due to multiple reasons. Offense and defense. Then it’s different parts of that unit yet we tend to focus on one.

The pass rush does seem to fade a bit late. Is it because Sweat and Murphy are a bit tired? Maybe. Sweat has missed 2 of 3 sacks the past two weeks with relatively clean shots. Why? The LBs have left openings. S has allowed some catches but so have the CBs and Nickel. It’s really not one thing.

LB and S are the two most difficult positions in the sense of ground to cover and potential matchups. I’ve looked at a decent amount of data lately that seems to indicate all teams attack the middle of the field. From what I’ve seen we aren’t more vulnerable than others.

23 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I find this mentality interesting. Pass yards = secondary play. Then it’s the safeties.

TCU had 3 drives of great success. One had a big play in which it appears Barron was the culprit. Also note that he went out and Guilbeau got some run. TCU and Houston probably had the most success

When we struggle, it’s generally due to multiple reasons. Offense and defense. Then it’s different parts of that unit yet we tend to focus on one.

The pass rush does seem to fade a bit late. Is it because Sweat and Murphy are a bit tired? Maybe. Sweat has missed 2 of 3 sacks the past two weeks with relatively clean shots. Why? The LBs have left openings. S has allowed some catches but so have the CBs and Nickel. It’s really not one thing.

LB and S are the two most difficult positions in the sense of ground to cover and potential matchups. I’ve looked at a decent amount of data lately that seems to indicate all teams attack the middle of the field. From what I’ve seen we aren’t more vulnerable than others.

I guess to me as a fan/viewer it just has seemed like for past three years that Texas plays super soft in secondary and has slow safeties that get beat. 
I think it’s wild that PK didn’t hire BG and I wonder if they’re just not connected/aligned. 

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Something to keep on mond too is Sark and PK are having to build a roster and system ready for SEC play while finishing up this Big12 season. The different play styles in each league definitely don't mesh well.

Our defense would get beat by some high school teams. 

I guess to me as a fan/viewer it just has seemed like for past three years that Texas plays super soft in secondary and has slow safeties that get beat. 
I think it’s wild that PK didn’t hire BG and I wonder if they’re just not connected/aligned. 

You’re not alone. Certainly a bit of that is perception. I’m confident in saying that Schooler and Crawford are very fast for S. I think there’s an element of them getting the blame when not the primary reason.

The “slow” talk picked up after Bama and BU. When 4.3 WRs made some plays. Guess what? Every game Bama has pass TDs down the middle of the field. It happens. A lot.

Contrast the KSU 32 yard pass with the Taafe pick. The S takes the inside route both times. Some say the S blew the TD. Brooks is over the top on both. I’ve read fans reactions on the Taafe play that if he was fast, he doesn’t need the deflection. Maybe, but the bigger deal is that he is not the playside S. So maybe the S did his job and the rest is bs.

48 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

You’re not alone. Certainly a bit of that is perception. I’m confident in saying that Schooler and Crawford are very fast for S. I think there’s an element of them getting the blame when not the primary reason.

The “slow” talk picked up after Bama and BU. When 4.3 WRs made some plays. Guess what? Every game Bama has pass TDs down the middle of the field. It happens. A lot.

Contrast the KSU 32 yard pass with the Taafe pick. The S takes the inside route both times. Some say the S blew the TD. Brooks is over the top on both. I’ve read fans reactions on the Taafe play that if he was fast, he doesn’t need the deflection. Maybe, but the bigger deal is that he is not the playside S. So maybe the S did his job and the rest is bs.

Crawford is slow in the sense that he doesn’t know what to do. It’s why he’s so damn good at covering kick offs and punts. See ball, get ball and stay in your lane. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's been hinted at that both Gbenda and Crawford are not coming back next year so not sure why we continue to trot them out there for the number of snaps we do.

Did Crawford start? He was out there early. I will completely agree on Crawford. Great athlete, doesn’t have the recognition/instincts for safety 

Gbenda has already been reduced. He and Crawford have gotten about 45 snaps between them the past two weeks.

Hill is playing more at least in part for next year. So not really sure what’s expected to get Gbenda out more. I’m not certain Hill is any more productive at this point. Gbenda has not played a ton in the past 4 weeks.

7 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Pretty sure Barron was injured on that play, because his pursuit was slow and looked to be gimpy as the reason why. He never lacks for effort.

Edited by sith_horn

21 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Pretty sure Barron was injured on that play, because his pursuit was slow and looked to be gimpy as the reason why. He never lacks for effort.

Barron has been nails at the toughest position in the secondary. Barron and Sweat are the best players on the defense 

• Hook 'Em 5

I just watched it again. Yes, he was gimpy. He actually got dinged earlier on a tackle on a dreaded short crossing route. Then Guilbeau got a lot of run in his place after Wiley catch.

He was already beat though cause he bit on the back or whoever was running behind the LOS. He was beating the block like we’ve seen him do a hundred times. Honestly, it was a great play call that they executed. TCU made some plays those last 3 drives actually.
  • Hook 'Em 1

We really stopped getting pressure in the second half, we seemed to stop bringing any blitzes and tried to cover our way to the end of the game. Don’t know why, after so many examples to the contrary, we would go away from bringing pressure.

On a related note, we really haven’t gotten consistent pressure with just the DL as the season as worn on, especially from the edge. Burke has had some good moments but Sorrell hasn’t really taken the next step like I thought he would. For the D to truly become dominant we need to be able to pressure the QB with just the front four.

19 minutes ago, gurt said:

We really stopped getting pressure in the second half, we seemed to stop bringing any blitzes and tried to cover our way to the end of the game. Don’t know why, after so many examples to the contrary, we would go away from bringing pressure.

That’s the way it seemed to me. It makes no sense either considering that QB was so damn bad under pressure. 

If we could combine the interior play this year with the edge play we will likely get next year, we would be golden. But oh well.

With the quick passing game most of these teams use nowadays, bringing blitzes and stunts towards the interior will always be the most effective way to get pressure quickly unless you just have an alpha war daddy on the edge who lives in the backfield.

Edited by Hookem2147

11 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Our defense would get beat by some high school teams. 

I saw a stat on the LHN crawl earlier today that said this is the first Longhorn team since 2009 that has held an opposing team under 100 rushing yards 4 weeks in a row.  Yeah - they suck.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1