Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 minutes ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

I just got some I.W. Harper 15 yr. as a gift.  Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I.W. Harper 15 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

It’s fairly good. I think the retail price is pushing it. I’ve paid $100 and $80 for it before and felt terrible for doing it. But I really needed a couple decanters. 

Its a beautiful bottle with a really sturdy cork and tight seal. Ideal for decanting. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s fairly good. I think the retail price is pushing it. I’ve paid $100 and $80 for it before and felt terrible for doing it. But I really needed a couple decanters. 

Its a beautiful bottle with a really sturdy cork and tight seal. Ideal for decanting. 

Damn. I think I paid $65 at TW a couple months ago. Maybe I’m remembering wrong...

Edited by 4th&Five

Got into bourbon a little bit bit a couple of years back and immediately gravitated to Weller Antique and Special Reserve. I was able to find both easily at the time; so, I had no idea Antique would become hard to find. Fortunately, I still have a nearly full bottle. Started getting back into it recently and read through this entire thread. Picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 and a bottle of Larceny last night. Enjoyed both, but the ER is stood out. I can see it becoming my standard bourbon. Think I'll pick up an OF1920 this weekend. 

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Well crud. I thought I was being upgraded from Old Rip to Pappy 12. I tasted both last year side by side and liked P12 better, but the difference was minuscule. 

Actually, I went back and edited it down. I've never been a fan of Lot B, though. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Interesting read from the self proclaimed “Angriest Man in Bourbon” http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/

Cliffs: Old Rip is his favorite 2018 Van Winkle, and Handy is his favorite 2018 BTAC. 

Handy is not surprising. Old Rip is very surprising. 

He's a little bit over the top but basically I agree with him. To my taste the current VWs get worse as they get older with the exception of 15, which is excellent. 

And I don't just agree with him about that. The huge surge of demand for Bourbon and Rye have distorted the market and the chase just isn't what it once was.  The other day I got so pissed off about a ridiculous experience I had that I very nearly offered my current pretty impressive unopened stock on hand for sale as a lot on this page, because I'm getting to the point that it's not much fun anymore beyond you guys and this thread.  
If I did, I'd probably go back to collecting rum and Scotch, but here's the bourbon I would keep on hand going forward:

W12

Larceny

Old Forester 86

Elmer T Lee

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Actually, I went back and edited it down. I've never been a fan of Lot B, though. 

He's a little bit over the top but basically I agree with him. To my taste the current VWs get worse as they get older with the exception of 15, which is excellent. 

And I don't just agree with him about that. The huge surge of demand for Bourbon and Rye have distorted the market and the chase just isn't what it once was.  The other day I got so pissed off about a ridiculous experience I had that I very nearly offered my current pretty impressive unopened stock on hand for sale as a lot on this page, because I'm getting to the point that it's not much fun anymore beyond you guys and this thread.  
If I did, I'd probably go back to collecting rum and Scotch, but here's the bourbon I would keep on hand going forward:

W12

Larceny

Old Forester 86

Elmer T Lee

The store that shall not be named basically implied to me that Elmer is not sold to the public at least in Houston. 

Board, please correct me if I’m wrong. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The store that shall not be named basically implied to me that Elmer is not sold to the public at least in Houston. 

Board, please correct me if I’m wrong. 

This is my understanding as well; that every bottle is spoken for and allocated to bars and restaurants. And yet I am a member of the public in possession of both Elmer T Lee and Rock Hill Farms purchased at MSRP, at retail. 

I'm not complaining, I guess, since I benefit, but the whole business needs an enema. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This is my understanding as well, every bottle is spoken for and allocated to bars and restaurants. And yet I am a member of the public in possession of both Elmer T Lee and Rock Hill Farms purchased at MSRP, at retail. 

I'm not complaining, I guess, since I benefit, but the whole business needs an enema. 

Is Elmer ever sold at Costco? 

1 hour ago, thestud said:

Scored a couple of 1792 Full Proof store picks from TW today. Missed the Blanton’s by a few hours but at this point buying them is more hoarding than actual necessity.

Total must train their employees to say “we just ran out Blanton’s”. I’ve heard dozens, and dozens of times. What a crock. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Total must train their employees to say “we just ran out Blanton’s”. I’ve heard dozens, and dozens of times. What a crock. 

Probably, but Total is at least better than Spec's, who has perfected the in-aisle employee recommendation of Wyatt Earp Texas Gunslinger Shotgun F350 Cowboy Boot Old Yeller Crown Family Reserve Texas Whiskey (product of Canada).

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Probably, but Total is at least better than Spec's, who has perfected the in-aisle employee recommendation of Wyatt Earp Texas Gunslinger Shotgun F350 Cowboy Boot Old Yeller Crown Family Reserve Texas Whiskey (product of Canada).

Haha. 

I agree, Total at least keeps their bourbon/rye aisle respectable. Their rye selection is a lot better than many, many other stores. 

• Like 1

TW around here keeps allocated prominently displayed at the front desk (obviously goes pretty fast).  I went in once and they had Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Blanton's.  Just ran out of Weller 12.  I chose the Blanton's.  Spec's has a double top-secret list for allocated.  I asked about not being called when a recent Weller 12 shipment came and went - he sold me a bottle of Blanton's. 

3 hours ago, thestud said:

Scored a couple of 1792 Full Proof store picks from TW today. Missed the Blanton’s by a few hours but at this point buying them is more hoarding than actual necessity.

I’ve bought two Blanton’s store picks at retail in the last week and now my collection. Is up to two store picks, an OG, a gold and an SFTB.  Probably time to start looking for something else.  

For those looking for something old and interesting but available the OLC 14 yr Barrell Bourbon pick is strong to quite strong. I’ve bought two for Christmas gifts and kept one. Hard to beat for $85.  

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

TW around here keeps allocated prominently displayed at the front desk (obviously goes pretty fast).  I went in once and they had Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Blanton's.  Just ran out of Weller 12.  I chose the Blanton's.  Spec's has a double top-secret list for allocated.  I asked about not being called when a recent Weller 12 shipment came and went - he sold me a bottle of Blanton's. 

It's odd. They'll call me for Birthday Bourbon, but not when they get Antique in. I guess they think Antique is too lowly for the likes of me? Definitely not the case. 

I strongly recommend the Bourbon Pursuit podcast. The guys know their stuff and book the best guests in the industry. They release barrel picks of bottles like New Riff and Buffalo Trace. I don't believe they ship to Texas, but my brothers outside of the black out zone can enjoy it. 

I recently listened to their interviews with Harlen Wheatley (Episode 2), Dave Pickerell (Episode 142, RIP Boss Hogg), and Jim Rutledge (Episode 178). 

Cliffs: 

Wheatley : Master Distiller at Buffalo Trace. The interview was 2015, but still pretty illuminating on BT's strategic thinking. For instance BT already has all of their Pappy releases planned through 2038. He said they have to think 20-30 years into the future, and they even have a 100 year plan. He didn't mention the Van Winkle Family much, I'm not sure how much they interact. 

He was a chemical engineer and graduate of the University of Kentucky. He caught on pretty early through family connections at BT. He some families have been working at BT's location for 200 years. Thinks more distillers should be chemical engineers. 

It sounds like Sazerac basically pushed the vodka thing on them because the stills weren't be used much in the summer maintenance months. He didn't sound too excited about it. Just that the vodka was distilled the correct way. 

Very knowledgeable interviewee, but he sounds like a pretty serious fella. 

Pickerell: Man the world lost a good one. Also a chemical engineer that studied at West Point. He was very passionate about helping and mentoring young distillers at companies of all sizes. Started as a chemical engineering/distilling consultant before Maker's hired him away. He basically helped make Maker's Mark what they are today, a pretty respectable, widely available bourbon. 

He noticed in the mid 2000s that bartenders were bringing back rye cocktails, and he saw a trend where people would drink more rye. So he started Whistle Pig. He was involved in dozens of projects before his death. It'll be interesting to see Dave Pickerell commemorative bottles popping up everywhere. 

Really entertaining interview. He actually makes chemical engineering interesting. 

Rutledge: Probably the lesser known of the three, but just as impactful. He kind of glossed over his early years, the first job he mentioned was working for Seagram's in New York City preparing budgets for various projects. He asked to be sent to Four Roses in 1994 and the rest is history. He didn't know much about distilling, but he threw himself into his work. Seagram's told Four Roses they had a year to turn production quality or they would shut down the distillery and start sourcing. So according to him, he basically saved Four Roses as we know it today. 

He said Four Roses survived the 90's because of the Japanese Bourbon Market. It remained popular over there even during Kentucky's darkest years. He didn't mention Al Young much, just said he was a great guy. Rutledge mentored Brent Elliott and really sang his praises. 

Perhaps the most interesting tidbit is that Four Roses distilled and barreled a rye that was never released. Talk about a holy grail bottle. 

Rutledge was retired, but it sounds like Castle & Key money whipped him out of retirement. It also sounds like they're helping him launch his own label.  He's essentially a consultant over there. He doesn't like the master distiller title anymore because it involves so much travel and marketing. He wants to be at the distillery. He unwittingly, maybe wittingly threw some shade on Marianne Barnes. He said she had more of a marketing background and didn't really know much about distilling. He did credit her with being a hard worker, and that "she would be good for the industry". 

It sounds like Castle & Key is throwing so much money and talent at their distillery that they're going to force this monster on us. I hope it's good. Rutledge mentioned Texas as one of the first markets they wanted to be in. 

Definitely the type guy you'd want to have a pour with. Super knowledgeable, easy going, and straight forward. Just a down to earth, old school dude. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thestud said:

You’re also the same guy that tells everyone to “decant!” every whiskey ever, so I’ll take your disagreement with my taste as a good thing.

Haha. I just recommended decanting Stagg Jr. and Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 proof. 

I do think decanting/vatting is a more worth while enterprise than barreling if you want to have some fun at home. 

@Neonmoon I read somewhere that this year's release of MWND included a 6 year old rye that High West distilled themselves in Utah. Do you know anything about this? 

I hope High West can make the transition from sourcing to distilling. Smooth Ambler is off to a pretty rocky start in my opinion. 

Dixon Dedman has taken a different approach at Kentucky Owl. He said they'll always source and never distill. The man to his credit can blend like a son of a gun. 

I didn’t know that, but it doesn’t surprise me. SAOS and Yellowstone have done the same thing. They still blend it with really good MGP or in High West MWND, MGP and Barton. But as you noted, once it’s all distilled at the new distillery, like with Smooth Ambler, it’s not as good without the MGP juice. Is it because it’s too young or the expert blenders aren’t as good at distilling? We’ll find out I guess. But I’m not buying any Smooth Ambler unless it gets better. 

Now I will buy any Old Scout bottle I ever come across. 

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I didn’t know that, but it doesn’t surprise me. SAOS and Yellowstone have done the same thing. They still blend it with really good MGP or in High West MWND, MGP and Barton. But as you noted, once it’s all distilled at the new distillery, like with Smooth Ambler, it’s not as good without the MGP juice. Is it because it’s too young or the expert blenders aren’t as good at distilling? We’ll find out I guess. But I’m not buying any Smooth Ambler unless it gets better. 

Now I will buy any Old Scout bottle I ever come across. 

Here's the MWND article: https://robbreport.com/food-drink/spirits/midwinter-nights-dram-shakespeare-inspired-rye-whiskey-for-holidays-2833755/

MWND is a blend of 6 and 16 year old ryes. Assuming the article is correct, the only plausible explanation is that the 6 year is High West distilled, and 16 year old is sourced from MGP/Barton. I'm encouraged if High West is putting their own juice in the MWND and it's still good. I believe the founders are former chemists, they appear to know what they're doing. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

So, I updated my current whisk(e)y inventory last night.  Hopefully this isn't too long-catty.  The BTAC and OFBB are '17s.  I have a couple things to celebrate on the horizon that I will pop the cherry on the WLW & GTS for, but most of the unopened stuff is waiting to be rotated into the drinking lineup once the opened bottle ahead of it is drained.  I started this inventory in part because I wasn't sure how much I had unopened vs. opened.  It certainly feels like I have way less than 50 open bottles, but that might be because I've emptied a number of bottles over the last couple weeks.

It's quite a spectrum of bottles from garbage to greatness.  I also have some noticeable holes that need to be refilled.

Unopened Opened
1792 SB Full Proof   1
A Midwinter Nights Dram 1  
Ardbeg Uigeadail   1
Balvenie DoubleWood   1
Barrell SB Cask Strength 1 1
Basil Hayden’s   2
Ben Milam SB 1 1
Ben Milam Straight Rye 1  
Bernheim Wheat   1
Black Maple Hill Rye 1 1
Blanton’s SB 3 2
Dalmore 12   1
Eagle Rare 2 1
Eagle Rare (1.75L) 1  
Eagle Rare SB   1
Elijah Craig   2
Elijah Craig BP 1 2
Elmer T Lee SB 1 1
Evan Williams SB   1
Four Roses SB   1
George T. Stagg 1  
Glenfiddich 12 1  
Glenrothes 1995   1
Henry McKenna SB   1
Ivy Mountain Appalachian Corn 1 1
Jefferson’s Pres Select 18   1
Joseph Magnus (Sherry/Cognac) 1  
Kentucky Owl Rye #02   1
Knob Creek SB   1
Knob Creek SB Rye 1 1
Kooper Family Rye   1
Lagavulin 16   1
Laphroaig Quarter Cask   1
Macallan 12   1
Noah’s Mill   1
Old Forester 1910   1
Old Forester 1920   1
Old Forester Birthday 2 1
Old Forester SB 1  
Rebel Yell SB 1 1
Rock Hill Farms SB 2 1
Russell’s Reserve Rye   1
Russell’s Reserve SB 1 2
Stagg Jr. BP 1 1
Suntory Toki   1
Templeton Rye   1
Texas Ranger Blended 1  
Thomas H. Handy 1 1
Tomintoul 16   1
TX Blended   1
Very Old Barton   1
Weller 12 2 1
Weller Antique 1  
Weller Antique (1.75)   1
Weller Special Reserve (1.75L) 1  
William Larue Weller 1  
  33 50

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@huge Anything interesting at Goody Goody on Highway 6? I'm considering a run on Friday. 

I hate to give up my secrets but here is what I have gotten there in the last 3 months.

KO for $115

Hancock SB for $75

M10 for $130

MWND 6.1 for $94

They usually have something I am interested in.  Don't be afraid to ask what they don't have on the shelf.  

Yesterday in addition to the MWND they had every variety of Pig or Jefferson I could think of.

Rhetoric 25 for $155

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Interesting you should say that- I thought it was good but EC18 is much, much better to my taste.

1 hour ago, huge said:

I have some of that coming my way allegedly, looking forward to comparing

I had my eye on the EC18 during the Austin Shaker raffle last weekend.  Have not had it, but have heard good things.  Unfortunately for me I was one of about 10 people that didn't get my name drawn.