Bourbon

Jimbaround

14 minutes ago, Whiskyteer said:

Not sure you can assume that buying out inventory of WSR means someone is refilling W12 empties?  I’ve seen out-of-towners come into Tx to buy inventory to resell in their home states/countries.  I witnessed some Japanese store-owners wipe out high end Suntory & Nikki products to haul back to the motherland.

Of course, it doesn't necessarily follow.  Counterfeiting was going on in the wine trade for several years before anyone wanted to acknowledge it.  It's a different issue than counterfeiting, but buying booze at retail in Texas and moving it across state lines for resale I'm pretty sure is bootlegging. 

On 7/14/2019 at 12:53 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Four Roses small batch does that to me.  I like the run of the mill stuff cheap stuff, but the small batch tastes like it's been spritzed with some kind of cologne to me.  Maybe it's just the nose, but I don't like it, no sir.

agreed - much prefer the Four Roses Single Barrel over the Small Batch

• Like 1

2 hours ago, huge said:

4R SBS is great and appears to be around for the time being.  Wish it was $10 cheaper.  But I'm an idiot and will continue to buy so who is the sucker here?

I’d say it’s a slight price gauge given that regular old Small Batch is $30. 

But it holds up well in the $50 category. 

11 hours ago, Whiskyteer said:

What color is your label?  Brown or cream? Brown label with a straight facing turkey predates 1992 and is considered a “true” dusty.  This is Jimmy’s juice from the late 50’s thru the glut.  The 8yr 101pf bottles during this timeframe often contained bourbon much older than the age statement....that’s why they’re so damn good.  

Too bad the store didn’t have the 8yr 101pf.  It’s a good price for $30, but you’re still drinking Turkey on training wheels

Another Turkey question, regarding Kentucky Spirit, what year did they remove "Distilled in Kentucky by the Austin Nichols Company"? 

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Another Turkey question, regarding Kentucky Spirit, what year did they remove "Distilled in Kentucky by the Austin Nichols Company"? 

Kentucky Spirit launched in 1994 with the pewter caps.  The caps changed to a smooth dark wood in 2002.  In 2005, the dark wood top was stamped with a turkey.  In 2008, the top changed to a light wood with a turkey stamp.  After researching, it looks like they removed the “distilled in Ky” when they switched to the dark brown caps.

6 minutes ago, Whiskyteer said:

Kentucky Spirit launched in 1994 with the pewter caps.  The caps changed to a smooth dark wood in 2002.  In 2005, the dark wood top was stamped with a turkey.  In 2008, the top changed to a light wood with a turkey stamp.  After researching, it looks like they removed the “distilled in Ky” when they switched to the dark brown caps.

Well, well, I most likely have a genuine pre Campari Kentucky Spirit on my hands. PM me and I’ll tell you where I bought it. 

Thanks. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 minute ago, Party_Taco said:

Finally found some Old Forester Rye tonight... sadly it was at the bar and I got their last pour, but fuck that is some solid brown... especially for the price!

I was skeptical of the malted barley element, but it really works. Old Forester doesn't seem interested at all in old age statements, Birthday Bourbon being the notable exception of course, but I'll give them credit for unique products. Rye and 1920 are excellent.

1910 is an elite bourbon in my book. It's the best double oaked bourbon out there, and it's half the price of its peers. This is why it flew off the shelves last year. 

• Like 1

Starting a new system, alternating Old Forester Rye and Rare Breed as my daily drinkers. It was once Eagle Rare 10. I know, cry me a river. - Signed, former Weller 12 daily drinkers

No offense, but you seem to have a lot of systems when it comes to bourbon drinking.
From decanting everything, aging PMP for eternity, and alternating what you drink everyday. Just seems like your over complicating needlessly. I prefer to just grab whatever bottle strikes me when I walk up to my bar. But to each his own.
Cheers man! Enjoy your bourbon however you want!

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

No offense, but you seem to have a lot of systems when it comes to bourbon drinking.
From decanting everything, aging PMP for eternity, and alternating what you drink everyday. Just seems like your over complicating needlessly. I prefer to just grab whatever bottle strikes me when I walk up to my bar. But to each his own.
emoji1634.pngemoji869.png

Hey brah, OCD is a helluva condition....

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2019 at 8:59 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Starting a new system, alternating Old Forester Rye and Rare Breed as my daily drinkers. It was once Eagle Rare 10. I know, cry me a river. - Signed, former Weller 12 daily drinkers

For a cheap daily drinker, what about Evan Williams Single Barrell?

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:44 AM, BigDHornfan said:

some bourbon snobs asked one of the van winkels once, what do you say when you see someone mixing pappy with coke, and his answer was "thank you for drinking pappy".  doesn't matter how you drink it, drink it like you like it.

some bourbon snobs asked one of the van winkels once, what do you say when you see someone mixing pappy with coke, and his answer was "thank you for drinking pappy".  doesn't matter how you drink it, drink it like you like it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=belushi+gif+of+whiskey+dropping&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=sG2XRBzi9KzOZM:

On 7/19/2019 at 5:44 AM, BigDHornfan said:

I definitely understand what you're saying here. I don't like to have more than a couple open bottles at any given time, so much of the "systems" revolve around this. 

I strongly recommend decanting Stagg Jr. It's a different, better bourbon after a couple months in a decanter. 

We'll see what happens with the one year Poor Man's Pappy. 

19 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

Fred Noe had a similarly memorable response to the question of how you should drink bourbon.

Edited by RaylanGivens
  • Like 1

I definitely understand what you're saying here. I don't like to have more than a couple open bottles at any given time, so much of the "systems" revolve around this. 
I strongly recommend decanting Stagg Jr. It's a different, better bourbon after a couple months in a decanter. 
We'll see what happens with the one year Poor Man's Pappy. 
The whiskey tastes "better" because alcohol has evaporated and lowered the proof. Of course some of the esters have evaporated along with the ethanol and that can also change the flavor profile, but mostly for the worse in my opinion. Either way, you really shouldn't be storing bourbon, or any whiskey, in a decanter for long periods.

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Can somebody walk me through the Four Roses hierarchy? 

Yellow Label

Small Batch 

Single Barrel - always OBSV mashbill, on occasion also available as a store pick

Small Batch Select (Barrel Proof) 

Various Private Selection -  Always single barrel store pick. Either OE (lower rye) or OB (higher rye)

Limited Edition Small Bath - Annual special release

Various other special releases 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brown water said:

Yellow Label

Small Batch 

Single Barrel - always OBSV mashbill, on occasion also available as a store pick

Small Batch Select (Barrel Proof) 

Various Private Selection -  Always single barrel store pick. Either OE (lower rye) or OB (higher rye)

Limited Edition Small Bath - Annual special release

Various other special releases 

898A7834-BB9B-4328-A68B-206F1A965CA4.jpeg