Bourbon

Jimbaround

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:43 PM, Mo Horn said:

Got an e-mail that the local store is going to have Weller 12, and other rare finds, this Saturday. Doors open at 9:00 with a limited amount at one register. One per customer. Trying to decide if I want to fight the crowds, and if so how early I want to get there. 

fight the crowds for one bottle of weller 12 sounds worth it to me. 

On 7/9/2019 at 9:43 PM, Mo Horn said:

Got an e-mail that the local store is going to have Weller 12, and other rare finds, this Saturday. Doors open at 9:00 with a limited amount at one register. One per customer. Trying to decide if I want to fight the crowds, and if so how early I want to get there. 

In Texas? Is Weller 12 hitting stores this week?

I found out today that Old Ezra 7 Barrel Strength was sourced from Heaven Hill. That explains so much. I still don't know why they used charcoal filtering, but it's very faint at the end. The fact that they overcame this is a testament to Heaven Hill's skill. They dug themselves a hole at the beginning, but worked out of it. 

This week's Bourbon Pursuit was Roundtable No. 39, but I wouldn't suggest it. They do discuss the Jim Beam fire and how it could happen again in older rickhouses. The old rickhouses get grandfathered in under less strenuous safety regulations. Also in Kentucky, if a rickhouse has enough barrels, it doesn't require sprinklers. It must be a pain in the ass to insure bourbon distillers. 

The remaining 45 minutes of the podcast was crying/bitching/moaning about Heaven Hill. Pulling the age statement off of Elijah Craig 12, taking Heaven Hill 6 out of circulation, $40 price tag for Heaven Hill 7, and of course Heaven Hill 7 initially being unavailable in Kentucky.  I'm sure they're crying into their Old Riff Single Barrels which we can't buy online in Texas. 

Their only Heaven Hill point I agreed with was the low proof of Elijah Craig Small Batch store picks. It would be fantastic north of 100 proof. 

I'm going to buy the hell out of Heaven Hill 7. It's Bottled in Bond, and Heaven Hill makes darned good 7 year old juice. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

This Is My Bourbon Podcast Episode 83, Dixon Dedman defends Kentucky Owl Confiscated. He says he doesn’t know know the mashbill, and he doesn’t care. It tasted good and and he thought he could do something with it. It’s a blend of 5,9,10, and 12 year distillates. He says he doesn’t care about or pay attention to the criticism. 

So basically what we expected. Stoli sourced some random barrels and asked Dedman to blend it. He’s under contract so that’s exactly what he did. 

I’m hoping it’s similar to the better Blood Oath Pacts, but we’ll see. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 7/9/2019 at 9:43 PM, Mo Horn said:

So I decided to give it a try. Got here an hour before the store opens and the line is halfway around the store. I'm going to wait, but not optimistic. 

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I was skeptical when I saw it was under 7 years, but Booker's Shiny Barrel is receiving better reviews than 2018 Kentucky Chew. I picked up a bottle today. It's sitting on the shelves at Spec's in Houston. 

The guy that hosts This Is My Bourbon Podcast called Shiny Barrel phenomenal.

Cracked last night. Definitely a tad sweeter than recent releases. I get butterscotch on the nose. Toasted Werther’s Original candy on the palate. Very much enjoying this one. Far better than the last several I’ve had. 

• Like 2

I've decided that Weller 12 is nothing but a fucking racket. Turns out there were only 4 bottles. There was a list of other things, and no doubt they were good and hard to find. But I'm not a collector like lots of folks so didn't really care about anything else. 

I've decided that Weller 12 is nothing but a fucking racket. Turns out there were only 4 bottles. There was a list of other things, and no doubt they were good and hard to find. But I'm not a collector like lots of folks so didn't really care about anything else. 

I’ve done a blind taste test between regular Weller and W12 and I could not tell the difference. But even the regular Weller has been hard to find lately.

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I've always liked Antique better, but Weller 12 is great for what it is.A silky smooth everyday drinker. I really only drink W12 after I make Poor Man's Pappy. Batch No. 1 will be ready just in time for Thanksgiving. 

I’ve done a blind taste test between regular Weller and W12 and I could not tell the difference. But even the regular Weller has been hard to find lately.

If you really can’t tell, it could be that you just don’t have the right palate to distinguish the subtle differences of depth between sub-100 proof wheaters. That’s lucky for you, and not a character flaw.

That means there’s no reason for you (and probably most people) to shell out the time and money on W12 or others like it and can stay satisfied with regular Weller or Larceny, which is cheap, tasty, and widely available. Spend your money on Antique which you may be better able to appreciate.

• Like 1

The flagship products of Buffalo Trace right are Old Hype and Manufactured Scarcity Special Reserve.

3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Sounds like a frustrating shitshow.

Like you, I drink what I buy, and I don’t chase unicorns or pay secondary+ pricing. If I find a bottle of (what I consider) a higher-end rare product, I will snatch it up and enjoy the hell out of it. Otherwise, I am happy rotating thru my normal 3 daily drinkers as I find them. 

It had been bemoaned so many times in this thread, but...this market is just completely out if hand. 

I say this as I just got off the phone with BIL who has been hunting Elmer lately. Must be on his list, and I found an $80 bottle in the wild. He paid $200 for his last one. 

Yep...he’s a Tater. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The flagship products of Buffalo Trace right are Old Hype and Manufactured Scarcity Special Reserve.

I get your frustration, but on the other hand, buffalo trace and wheatley might deserve a citizens medal, or medal of freedom.  they are an American icon.  the 5 pappy's and 5 btac's are the 10 most sought after bourbons in the world.  add to that weller 12, weller antique, eh taylor, rockhill farms, blantons, eagle rare, stagg jr, elmer t lee.  this is a distillery that puts out quality products consistently and historically.  they deserve credit, and special place in the heart of all bourbon lovers. 

That’s a pretty hot take. They are very different bourbons IMO, and I used to keep them both stocked all the time.

Good couple grabs today. Excited to try both.

376cebb532400d7a8d3edf98019deb88.jpg
  • Like 1

I get your frustration, but on the other hand, buffalo trace and wheatley might deserve a citizens medal, or medal of freedom.  they are an American icon.  the 5 pappy's and 5 btac's are the 10 most sought after bourbons in the world.  add to that weller 12, weller antique, eh taylor, rockhill farms, blantons, eagle rare, stagg jr, elmer t lee.  this is a distillery that puts out quality products consistently and historically.  they deserve credit, and special place in the heart of all bourbon lovers. 

I don’t disagree with any of that and I’m not frustrated. As a former product manager for a big company and a student of marketing I see the strategy and admire how well they execute. None of this works without a great product lineup.

Speaking of Buffalo Trace I’ve got an extra RHF, ETL, Blantons, WIlliam Larue Weller, and an extra W12 1.75L right now. I’m not interested in selling at the moment but would consider a barter either by the bottle or the lot. Currently looking for OFBB, Old Fitzgerald, and at the lower end 1910 because it is scarce lately (but by itself wouldn’t be enough).

Adding because o know this thread gets read: I don’t flip. I just bought more than I can drink soon. if I don’t recognize your handle I’m not interested, so don’t join surly and DM me.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Speaking of Buffalo Trace I’ve got an extra RHF, ETL, Blantons, WIlliam Larue Weller, and an extra W12 1.75L right now. I’m not interested in selling at the moment but would consider a barter either by the bottle or the lot. Currently looking for OFBB, Old Fitzgerald, and at the lower end 1910 because it is scarce lately (but by itself wouldn’t be enough).

Adding because o know this thread gets read: I don’t flip. I just bought more than I can drink soon. if I don’t recognize your handle I’m not interested, so don’t join surly and DM me.

Why not keep them and drink them?  Seeing as how you went to the trouble (or got lucky enough) to acquire them?

If you really can’t tell, it could be that you just don’t have the right palate to distinguish the subtle differences of depth between sub-100 proof wheaters. That’s lucky for you, and not a character flaw. That means there’s no reason for you (and probably most people) to shell out the time and money on W12 or others like it and can stay satisfied with regular Weller or Larceny, which is cheap, tasty, and widely available. Spend your money on Antique which you may be better able to appreciate.

I'm pretty sure you are correct. I have the same experience with wine. I can always find a $30 bottle that satisfies me as much as an $80+ wine. And I have tasted the W107 along side the other Wellers and I can clearly tell the difference. It's the extra alcohol.
  • Like 1

Why not keep them and drink them?  Seeing as how you went to the trouble (or got lucky enough) to acquire them?

I might, but other than the William Larue I’m confident in being able to find more of those by the time I want more, and I don’t want to hoard stuff people are looking for if they’ve got something I can’t seem to find.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I have a couple 1910s just chilling. Also a Stagg Jr 11, EHT SiB, ECBP and some WFE 4 yr if any of that strikes your fancy for the RHF.  

35 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I might, but other than the William Larue I’m confident in being able to find more of those by the time I want more, and I don’t want to hoard stuff people are looking for if they’ve got something I can’t seem to find.

Really wish this was a more common theme in bourbon. That and not snapping the crotch shot in the parking lot of the liquor store flipping the bottle. 

I tend to drink what I buy so I don’t have anything to offer as a trade. If you decide you want to sell let me know.