Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 6/9/2019 at 9:54 PM, ERhine said:

18?

On 6/10/2019 at 6:25 AM, Bert Orange said:

He did say blitzed

The 20.  Lol.  And the 15 was close.  But yes that was a hell of a weekend.  

Should kick off the boats next weekend but it’s cigars and booze on the rooftop today.  Gonna stick to some special edition Blanton’s.  Happy weekend gents.  

I posted a heads up a month ago, Public Services bar in downtown Houston. $70 for 6 impossible to find boubons and ryes. Billfromlaketravis went to the session last week. It's a great bar, they do stuff like this every month, fancy wines, whiskey, vodka, absinthe, the subject matter changes every time. Always interesting stuff

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Oh and they swapped the ORVW 10 for the 13 year Family Reserve Rye. Pretty happy about that.

That Rye is amazing.  It was definitely the biggest surprise (in a good way) of several cases we lucked into 3 years ago.  

Edit: I only hit Houston about once a year and in the winter if we can help it.  I'll put that place on the list.  Thanks

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

My love of ryes is really showing now, THH 2018 and 2016 VW FRR are the best in this lineup by far.

God damn, I can't believe I don't have a bottle of Handy yet, I have a lot of stuff for trade if anyone is looking to trade one. I have 3 handles of Weller 12, antique, BCBS Vanilla Ryes, mitchers toasted barrel, Blanton's, ECBP, etc etc for trade. Lemme know if anyone is interested, I'm loving this.

4 hours ago, thestud said:

There’s nothing wrong with a cheap, lower end whiskey and Sprite Zero or Topo Chico. Quite refreshing after a day of working outside, and much lower in calories than beer. I think where the heartburn for most including myself comes from is the folks that desecrate good whiskey with something more than a single ice cube. But if you like lighting money on fire and having a $75 whiskey and coke then rock on.

Agree. I was just trying to define the desecration line. The vast majority of the time I’m drinking bourbon it’s just a cube and most of my stash was bought with that in mind. On occasion, a whiskey and soda sounds perfect.  Last night that was the case for Kentucky mules and I bounced between Weller SR and 4RSB. May have desecrated some 4R SmB Select as well. 

6 hours ago, thestud said:

They were both FB wins, haven’t seen it on the shelf in quite some time. Speaking of fireballs, I just hit two different fireballs for two different OWA store picks today continues to get better and better!

Big D and myself are the ones that recommended the Legent. It is tasty and the modest price just adds to the tastiness for me.

You both are correct. It’s tasty and well priced. I’m glad the Sherry finish isn’t overdone. The blender did a nice job 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What would you compare Legent to? 

That’s a tough question. I would say if you took something easy to drink like Henry McKenna 10 or Boone County 12 year and added a touch of sweetness from the Sherry Cask finish. I doubt it’s that’s old but its doesn’t taste young. Maybe that’s the blending. But at $35, it’s an easy purchase. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

That’s a tough question. I would say if you took something easy to drink like Henry McKenna 10 or Boone County 12 year and added a touch of sweetness from the Sherry Cask finish. I doubt it’s that’s old but its doesn’t taste young. Maybe that’s the blending. But at $35, it’s an easy purchase. 

Interesting. Thanks. 

On 6/22/2019 at 8:10 AM, brown water said:

What is the collective opinion on the best whiskey (quality not flavor) that is acceptable to mix with soda?  What’s the line that draws scorn?

I’ll do Weller Special Reserve for something low proof or OF1920 for higher.  Booker’s makes a great Manhattan too.  

11 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

A friend sent me a pic of a total wine in austin where regular buffalo trace/michters were both now being held behind the counter and limited to 1 pp

lmao

Total has real issues getting any Buffalo Trace made product. It's very strange. I've seen Buffalo Trace, not a store pick, behind the counter in Houston. Just odd. 

• Like 1

https://amp.kentucky.com/news/business/bourbon-industry/article231893578.html

Interesting, HMK10 is a single barrel from the same Distillery, 10 yrs old, and it's MSRP was $30. I was never fortunate enough to grab a bottle of the White Label HH 6 BIB when it was available, so those that have, feel free to comment on it.

Edited by RaylanGivens

9 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Interesting, HMK10 is a single barrel from the same Distillery, 10 yrs old, and it's MSRP was $30. I was never fortunate enough to grab a bottle of the White Label HH 6 BIB when it was available, so those that have, feel free to comment on it.

I bought a couple bottles. It wasn't great. But again, it was $12 dollars, so it was better that whatever rubbing alcohol that it was competing against. 

Of course they are aging it one more year and upping the price by $30. I bet fans are pissed. 

You can find full shelves of Buffalo Trace at Twin Liquors in San Antonio. Not sure what Total Wine's problem is, but they seem consistently out of stock. If I'm buying liquor in Austin, I'm going to Austin Wine Merchant on Sixth Street. 

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/american-whiskey/latest-wild-turkey-masters-keep-goes-the-rye-whiskey-direction/
109 proof. Rye aged between 9 year and 11 years. 15,000 bottle release 
Annnnnnnd it’s $175
wildturkey-cornerstonerye.jpg

Last masters keep was outstanding, but I only paid $59 for it. The rye better be amazing at that price.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:26 PM, RaylanGivens said:

I’m fine with the price point, if it’s a limited release. It sounds like Heaven Hill is using this release as a trial balloon to see what people will pay for the formerly beloved HH6 BiB. They’d be sort of crazy to price HH6 higher than Elijah Craig when EC is supposed to better, older, and their signature brand. 

I think they’re already making a mistake not releasing it in Kentucky. Almost all of the HH6 fans are locals. 

Im sure I’ll buy a bottle, but it’ll likely be a one time deal. 

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m fine with the price point, if it’s a limited release. It sounds like Heaven Hill is using this release as a trial balloon to see what people will pay for the formerly beloved HH6 BiB. They’d be sort of crazy to price HH6 higher than Elijah Craig when EC is supposed to better, older, and their signature brand. 

I think they’re already making a mistake not releasing it in Kentucky. Almost all of the HH6 fans are locals. 

Im sure I’ll buy a bottle, but it’ll likely be a one time deal. 

They are doing the same thing they did with Old Fitzgerald. They are taking what used to be cheap and re-releasing at a higher price point. It's that simple. The maket changed, and they are changing with it. I don't blame them, it's business. If you expect a company to keep selling product at 10 dollars when people are paying 20 dollars, you don't live in reality.