Bourbon

Jimbaround

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

1) Old Rip Van Winkle. By a wide maragin. It just explodes on the palate, in a great way. 

2) Pappy 15 

3) William Larue Weller

4) Handy 

5) Lot B 

6) George T Stagg 

Interesting take. Think I’ll pour me a splash of ORVW while I watch round 3

How was the Legent?
Oh and since you like 4R single barrel so much. They released a special 15 year for Fathers Day. 
Happy Hunting 

Legent was great. It’s different but it’s one of the best finished whiskeys I have had. Especially at the price point. It’s super smooth. Highly recommend.
And those 4r’s are all the different recipes. It was fun hunting all of them down.
:)

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
15 hours ago, FigurelliPwC said:

Hurricane, right off the Interstate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you were up at the north entrance?

No - we were staying in La Verkin which is about 20 mins outside of Springdale/main entrance.  Hurricane is another 10-20 minutes from where we were at.  Picked up a bottle of ER10 in another podunk town in Wyoming ($25 for a 750ml).  Haven’t seen much else of interest, although we did visit the High West distillery while in Park City. I didn’t like the Bourye...loved the Yipee Ki-Yay but didn’t want to drop $80 on it.  

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, Neonmoon said:

It does make me wonder about Texas bourbon. If you can’t age it longer than 5 years without the bourbon turning to shit. And IMO, you need the that 6-10 year age in a barrel to make it the smooth and have complex flavor. Is it possible to really create a great bourbon in Texas?

garrison brothers is 4-6.  and you're judgement that it takes 6-10 years "to make it smooth and complex" is based on Kentucky climate. I think it's possible.

is still the one that tops off their barrels?  to me that's a bold move, common in brandy but unheard of (and frowned upon) in bourbon.  that contributes to part of the youth you're tasting. 

you are entitled to your opinion but you are wrong.

The first stuff they released was trash. That is undeniable. And it was $80.

I was so turned off I will likely never try anything else they produce.

I’d like to see what some of the newer offerings taste like but I can’t imagine paying the freight.

23 minutes ago, huge said:

The first stuff they released was trash. That is undeniable. And it was $80.

I was so turned off I will likely never try anything else they produce.

I’d like to see what some of the newer offerings taste like but I can’t imagine paying the freight.

the cowboy won bourbon of the year by whiskey bible or bourbon bible or something like that.  it's over-priced, there is no argument there. 

3 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

garrison brothers is 4-6.  and you're judgement that it takes 6-10 years "to make it smooth and complex" is based on Kentucky climate. I think it's possible.

is still the one that tops off their barrels?  to me that's a bold move, common in brandy but unheard of (and frowned upon) in bourbon.  that contributes to part of the youth you're tasting. 

How does Garrison Bros rotate their barrels? I'd imagine the stuff at the top of the rackhouse has to be moved frequently.  

Buffalo Trace has a climate controlled room/rackhouse. It might be a good idea for a Texas distiller to try it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I'm hoping that with the market getting saturated with newer bourbons that pricing will eventually even out and we can see Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare on the shelves again at $20 and $25 respectively. This nonsense of charging $22 for a fucking pour of Eagle Rare at a bar has got to stop.  Everyone who does this should get penis cancer too.  $250 for W12 is outrageous.

• Like 3

I follow some spirits auctions and I am already seeing a softening of pricing there.  The relatively current releases of the BTAC bottles are running at about $400 - $500 which is about 25% lower than in previous years.  Not saying this is reasonable yet, but some of the shine has definitely worn off.

3 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

how is it?  I wish I had a second bottle so I could open the one I have. 

It’s great. classic smooth spicey mashbill #2 

I think I like it better than Blantons. I know, Pepsi challenge statement there. I need to find a couple more bottles 

6 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I just mixed the last 4oz of my Willet Pot Still Reserve Bourbon with Sprite because it was the worst whiskey I had handy.

What is the collective opinion on the best whiskey (quality not flavor) that is acceptable to mix with soda?  What’s the line that draws scorn?

2 hours ago, brown water said:

What is the collective opinion on the best whiskey (quality not flavor) that is acceptable to mix with soda?  What’s the line that draws scorn?

Jim Beam black for me. Even Makers I think is worth sipping. But i wouldn’t scorn folks for mixing Makers.