Bourbon

Jimbaround

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

God damnit. My local liquor stores on facebook don't show up in my newsfeed. This was posted two days ago, apparently sold out that day. Fuck me, I've never seen Weller 12 on a shelf, and Eagle Rare has been tough to find too. The only time I've bought W12 in Tulsa was when I asked about it and the guy luckily had one in the back.

Image may contain: indoor

Parkhills?

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

As a bourbon drinker I enjoy this thread, but I go a step further.  It's really hard for me to spend more than say $40 per bottle for any bourbon.  I can find so much pleasure from bourbons under $30 (regular Weller, Larceny, WT101, etc.) that I don't see the need to spend more on something I don't really get that much more enjoyment out of.  I drink Blanton's and other sought after bourbons quite often at my drinking hole (they are fairly priced) and while I like it, I would never spend $50+ for it.  I've also found some W12 in the wild and I have a few bottles.  Each time I drink it side by side with regular Weller I can't tell the difference.  That may mean I am a shitty taster and that may be the case.  That could be a blessing, not a curse.  With Weller Antique I do tell the difference, probably due to the higher alcohol, but unless I happen upon a bottle I would not go out of my way to buy it and spend a premium on it.

I hate to be the one to break it you, but you are probably better off.

Also, I'm thinking I would have been better off buying a WLW from BSM for the secondary price versus losing my ass playing to win this on Power Ball. If you don't know what this is. Don't try looking. I've wasted more money here than on my golf game.

I hate to be the one to break it you, but you are probably better off.
Also, I'm thinking I would have been better off buying a WLW from BSM for the secondary price versus losing my ass playing to win this on Power Ball. If you don't know what this is. Don't try looking. I've wasted more money here than on my golf game.

Don't get me started on my golf game. I can shoot an 80 and a 95 on consecutive days.

I have the following system: 

No drinking on work days. None, unless it’s a work/ work adjacent event.

Beer during the day on weekends. I’ll usually wait until gets dark out to crack open a bottle of bourbon. 

I have my Friday and Saturday drinker. It could be anything really, but Eagle Rare Store Picks would be the basement.  

My Sunday drinker is usually Eagle Rare, and Buffalo Trace Store Picks, but I’ll mix in some good easy to find bourbons like Wild Turkey 101. My current Sunday drinker is the Dickel sourced Old Scout 107. 

BTAC or other pricey/hard to find bourbons on special occasions/ anniversaries. I have a work anniversary coming up in two weeks and I’ll crack open a bottle of Jefferson’s 16. I’ll probably drink my William Larue Weller on my wedding anniversary. 

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon every year on my birthdays. 

Pappy every year at Christmas.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, thestud said:

Fireball is going to cause my divorce. It’s also how I’ve gotten over half of my allocated bottles. WLW, several GTS, SAOS mgp juice, Michters Toasted. This week I’m back on a hot streak ...finally. Snagged M10, a w12 750, two SP’s of Blanton’s, one SP of owa, two er’s (one SP) and two stagg jr’s. I also traded a w12 1.75L for a Blanton’s SP and two more Blanton’s that have the birthdate of my twins.

I would never have gotten some of mine but through this. I was on the good side a month ago, but have hit a really bad streak. Hate to quit playing, because as soon as I do, that number is going to hit.

Also, on a search mission. I picked up a B30th, OF13, W12, M10, Lone Whisker 12, MBSR and (2) ECBP A119. So, I have that going for me.

Fireball is going to cause my divorce. It’s also how I’ve gotten over half of my allocated bottles. WLW, several GTS, SAOS mgp juice, Michters Toasted. This week I’m back on a hot streak ...finally. Snagged M10, a w12 750, two SP’s of Blanton’s, one SP of owa, two er’s (one SP) and two stagg jr’s. I also traded a w12 1.75L for a Blanton’s SP and two more Blanton’s that have the birthdate of my twins.

Yea, it’s a sickness. And like you, it will probably cause my divorce as well.
I’ve always told myself I wouldn’t ever pay secondary for anything but I may as well have with all the $ down the drain in fireball losses.
But it sure is fun when you win.
Recently I’ve snagged an OWA, W12, and a Blanton’s SFTB.
And I traded that W12 for a Parker’s Heritage 12 after getting the open one last week. Had to get a backup because that open one is gonna go quick.

I also find it fascinating where someone draws the line at spending money. For example, $50 bottle is an easy yes but $70 means you’re an insane person who’s a tater. Yet most will go drop $100-150 on a nice dinner without thinking twice. 

There is no line. Im happy to spend $70 for a $70 bottle, I’m just not going to spend $70 for a $50 bottle.

Bought a McKenna 10 for $36 today. That seems worth it.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

There is no line. Im happy to spend $70 for a $70 bottle, I’m just not going to spend $70 for a $50 bottle.

Bought a McKenna 10 for $36 today. That seems worth it.

I try not to pay over MSRP but if I see a bottle of W12 or RHF in the wild, and the store is charging over MSRP. I don’t give a shit. It’s either pay X amount or not have the bottle. I know people who wouldn’t buy over MSRP out of principle. 

Hey guys, my friend brought over a bottle of Rock Hill Farms he got last week, so we did a blind taste with it, ETL and 2017 Blanton's. Blanton's was the runaway winner by far in aroma, taste, complexity. Better balance, flavor and feel than either of the other two. I love me some Blanton's, and am happy to pay $60 a bottle for it.

RHF is pretty bland. Like super easy to drink, but no punch, no real strong tasting notes. Extremely subtle flavors that just don't bring it home, it's sweet-ish, butterscotch kind of flavor, but even that takes work to notice. I don't see the hype, and for $70 a bottle, there are better options. I do like the bottle shape and design as an item on the shelf, but it ain't worth the price.

ETL at least has some character to it, it stands up to ER10, but I honestly don't understand the rarity of it. it's good, not great, $30 is right for it. There's a little bite to it, it coats your mouth, and has a nice spice to it, but no oak flavor at all. I think thatsy problem with it because I'm a big fan of the American oak finish from the barrels. ER10 gets it for me, ETL does not.

Anyway, none of these had water or ice added, just neat pours side by side. What are you guys it's thought on these bourbans?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 'stache said:

God damnit. My local liquor stores on facebook don't show up in my newsfeed. This was posted two days ago, apparently sold out that day. Fuck me, I've never seen Weller 12 on a shelf, and Eagle Rare has been tough to find too. The only time I've bought W12 in Tulsa was when I asked about it and the guy luckily had one in the back.

Image may contain: indoor

What a world. 

11 minutes ago, thestud said:

I’m a mild to moderate Balcones fanboy, and I’m not going near that Pot Still even with your liver.

I saved my liver most of my life so I could drink when I'm old and need it most.

It's not bad for a $30 bourbon, which is an increasingly difficult bill to fill adequately. Won't ever be my favorite, but I won't pour it out until I'm rich enough to spend more on hooch.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:57 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Yea, it’s a sickness. And like you, it will probably cause my divorce as well.
I’ve always told myself I wouldn’t ever pay secondary for anything but I may as well have with all the $ down the drain in fireball losses.
But it sure is fun when you win.
Recently I’ve snagged an OWA, W12, and a Blanton’s SFTB.
And I traded that W12 for a Parker’s Heritage 12 after getting the open one last week. Had to get a backup because that open one is gonna go quick.

Sickness indeed. Then layer on the unreasonable compulsion of completing a BTAC vertical and you’ve got insight into my disaster. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 9:50 PM, Dutchrudder said:

Hey guys, my friend brought over a bottle of Rock Hill Farms he got last week, so we did a blind taste with it, ETL and 2017 Blanton's. Blanton's was the runaway winner by far in aroma, taste, complexity. Better balance, flavor and feel than either of the other two. I love me some Blanton's, and am happy to pay $60 a bottle for it.

RHF is pretty bland. Like super easy to drink, but no punch, no real strong tasting notes. Extremely subtle flavors that just don't bring it home, it's sweet-ish, butterscotch kind of flavor, but even that takes work to notice. I don't see the hype, and for $70 a bottle, there are better options. I do like the bottle shape and design as an item on the shelf, but it ain't worth the price.

ETL at least has some character to it, it stands up to ER10, but I honestly don't understand the rarity of it. it's good, not great, $30 is right for it. There's a little bite to it, it coats your mouth, and has a nice spice to it, but no oak flavor at all. I think thatsy problem with it because I'm a big fan of the American oak finish from the barrels. ER10 gets it for me, ETL does not.

Anyway, none of these had water or ice added, just neat pours side by side. What are you guys it's thought on these bourbans?

Do the one month and three month test also. You might change your mind on these after they have been open for awhile. Usually the 1st taste is the worst and the last is the best.

2 hours ago, ckhorn said:

Do the one month and three month test also. You might change your mind on these after they have been open for awhile. Usually the 1st taste is the worst and the last is the best.

That's true, we just opened the RHF and Blanton's that night, but the ETL had been open since December. I do still want 1 RHF for my shelf, cause I love the bottle design. If anyone in Houston happens upon one, I have lots of good stuff available for trade. 

6 hours ago, thestud said:

I’m a huge fan of all things BT Mashbill 2, specifically Blanton’s. I have what some would call a hoarding problem when it comes to Blanton’s. RHF is the cream of that crop. I can go back and forth between Blanton’s and ETL as far as which one I like better, but RHF is on another level. Don’t sleep on Hancock’s Reserve either

Like I said upthread, the RHF was bland, and kind of boring for a tough to find, hyped bourbon. I do want to get one just for the bottle, but the booze ain't a big deal.  I have 8 bottles of blantons and ER10 on hand at any given time, along with a few ryes I prefer, and those are my daily drinkers. I never get tired of them, always enjoy the flavors, and love that I can find them easily. 

I’m a huge fan of all things BT Mashbill 2, specifically Blanton’s. I have what some would call a hoarding problem when it comes to Blanton’s. RHF is the cream of that crop. I can go back and forth between Blanton’s and ETL as far as which one I like better, but RHF is on another level. Don’t sleep on Hancock’s Reserve either

I also think RHF is the best of the three.

That being said, it’s ironic. I actually strongly prefer the BT #1 line to #2, but I luck into ETL, RHF and Blantons on the semi regular, which is why I almost always have at least one of each available for trade. I’m not anxious to get rid of them because they are too good not to drink, there are just other things I like more.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:20 PM, ckhorn said:

Parkhills?

Yes, Parkhills South posted it. Even if I had seen it posted live it would probably have been gone by the time I drove down there. I once found Elmer T. Lee at Wine Cellar at Tulsa Hills and have been back a few times and never saw it again. It really is a crap shoot. I got Weller 12 once at Ranch Acres by asking for it when this thread showed it making the rounds, which I consider to have been pure luck. Midtown liquor once posted a picture of George T. Stagg, I called and it was already gone. Said some guy was waiting at the door when they opened. This unicorn shit is tiring. All I want is to find Eagle Rare and I'll be happy.

On 6/8/2019 at 9:50 PM, thestud said:

I’m a mild to moderate Balcones fanboy, and I’m not going near that Pot Still even with your liver.

What's the story? What is wrong with it? I'm a big Balcones fan and would buy this in a heartbeat for $30.

43251152fff835009d13ac619042d3c1.jpg

New pickups over the weekend... eager to give these both a try!

Also came across this bottle of Barrel that I’d never seen before... can anyone comment on its tastiness?

20a14b1df663d14bbd960b602cf7c884.jpg

Final thought - Had this year’s George T. Stagg last night and was blown away... absolute genius at work there!

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Yes, Parkhills South posted it. Even if I had seen it posted live it would probably have been gone by the time I drove down there. I once found Elmer T. Lee at Wine Cellar at Tulsa Hills and have been back a few times and never saw it again. It really is a crap shoot. I got Weller 12 once at Ranch Acres by asking for it when this thread showed it making the rounds, which I consider to have been pure luck. Midtown liquor once posted a picture of George T. Stagg, I called and it was already gone. Said some guy was waiting at the door when they opened. This unicorn shit is tiring. All I want is to find Eagle Rare and I'll be happy.

Heard all the W12 at Parkhills was gone within the hour. 

There are actually people who follow these vans around waiting for the drop.

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

43251152fff835009d13ac619042d3c1.jpg

New pickups over the weekend... eager to give these both a try!

Also came across this bottle of Barrel that I’d never seen before... can anyone comment on its tastiness?

20a14b1df663d14bbd960b602cf7c884.jpg

Final thought - Had this year’s George T. Stagg last night and was blown away... absolute genius at work there!

I hope you grabbed that dovetail. Every Barrel i've tried and have not tried them all, has been outstanding.

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

I haven't been too pleased with the barrel offerings, but two of their recent ones - infinite and dovetail, are outstanding.  I haven't bought either but have tried them both and probably will buy when my collection dwindles down some.  I got too many bottles at the moment.

Bourbon blind tasting last week at poker night.  We did too many and too many premium, will pare it down this week to 6 others all in the $30-$50 range.  My rankings:

1) Blanton's

2) Old Rip 10

3) Rock Hill Farms

4) Eagle Rare

5) Elmer T Lee

6) Wild Turkey Decades

7) Larceny

8. Sazerac Rye (dude tried to throw us a curveball)

9) Basil Hayden 

10 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Bourbon blind tasting last week at poker night.  We did too many and too many premium, will pare it down this week to 6 others all in the $30-$50 range.  My rankings:

1) Blanton's

2) Old Rip 10

3) Rock Hill Farms

4) Eagle Rare

5) Elmer T Lee

6) Wild Turkey Decades

7) Larceny

8. Sazerac Rye (dude tried to throw us a curveball)

9) Basil Hayden 

First of all, I'd like to play poker with you. 

Second, interesting rankings. The blind tasting takes the label bias completely out of it. I would think I'd have Elmer higher, but I can't know that until I do a blind tasting.