Bourbon

Jimbaround

I don’t understand why that barrel proof isn’t just a standard product. Put it in your normal bottle, make it $50, and it will sell. 

Because people don’t want to pay for bourbon. They want to pay for bourbon they can’t find. So the industry is now selling you the illusion of scarcity, because there isn’t enough of the real thing to go around.
  • Like 1

Four Grain was good but it had a hint of a Scotch thing going on that I didn’t love.

That Elijah Craig is good, it’s got some burn.

Will report back on the Bulleit Rye 12.

In a way I wish I’d never scored Blanton’s Gold. I may be ruined.

I have a Gold I’m looking to sell or trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

How much? Or trade for what?

Trade for something allocated that I don't have.  I was hoping to trade a Gold and a SFTB for a birthday, dont care on year.

Sell price, PM me.

18 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Because people don’t want to pay for bourbon. They want to pay for bourbon they can’t find. So the industry is now selling you the illusion of scarcity, because there isn’t enough of the real thing to go around.

As evidence I present this thread which at some point in the last year or so became ~80% tater talk.

• Like 2

Speaking of tater talk

https://tater-talk.com/2019/05/05/is-ky-owl-confiscated-the-copycat-of-the-white-van-speaker-scam/

Have you ever heard of the ‘white van speaker scam’? If not wiki link – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam. The gist is a con artist driving a white van makes you believe they have some high-end speakers left over from some job and must move fast. They are willing to move well below retail; often 80% below ‘retail price’ but you must act NOW. The reality is they are selling super cheap imported from China crap speakers. They are still out there but now have moved to flat screen TV’s; I was approached just last year.

In my opinion, KY Owl Confiscated is the whiskey version of the ‘white van speaker scam’. Its bulk sourced non-age stated KY straight bourbon whiskey for $129. Every single major KY bourbon distillery sells the same for $25 or less. Since KY Owl has no distillery they bought this from one of those other major KY distilleries. They are pitching high-end bourbon but delivering something pretty basic. Did I mention it has no age statement? 

The white van scam generally starts in parking lot with the con artist approaching you saying ‘you look like a cool dude’. And since we all want to be cool, this relaxes your guard against being scammed. KY Owl does about the same; they immediately tell you they are ‘The Wise Man’s Bourbon’.

I thought the KY Owl Rye was overpriced but at least it carried an age statement. Perhaps one could justify the price if this was a very limited release, but it’s a national release with wide distribution. It carries no added secondary value.

I can’t stop you from buying $25 whiskey for $129; it’s your money. However, I can at least say I warned you and I will laugh at all the fools who do buy it.

• Like 1

Man that Bulleit 12 Year Rye is smoooooooth. Like dangerously smooth. I think I really like it, and the only other rye I really like straight is MND.

I was only going to have one but I’m sitting here thinking about going back downstairs to the bar...

12 minutes ago, elguapo said:

An interesting review from a guy that hasn't tried the product. Would you use a review from a food critic that hadn't bothered to eat at the restaurant? 

I'm not defending Confiscated, but holy s*** the Tater-Talk guy comes off a like a bitter little b****. He never likes anything. Maybe he likes Old Granddad 114 because it's $20, and not mainstream. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

How young do you have to be, to not know about the "I've got a deal" guys selling out of van's /trucks ?

Let me put it this way- 15 years ago I had to lecture a young man at the Exxon in Buda because he was doing the white van speaker scam wrong and if there’s one thing I won’t abide it’s lazy disrespect for a time honored form.

Also- don’t use apostrophes to pluralize ‘van’.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

An interesting review from a guy that hasn't tried the product. Would you use a review from a food critic that hadn't bothered to eat at the restaurant? 

I'm not defending Confiscated, but holy s*** the Tater-Talk guy comes off a like a bitter little b****. He never likes anything. Maybe he likes Old Granddad 114 because it's $20, and not mainstream. 

Let him have his 15 minutes of fame, I'll stick to hunting down, and enjoying good bourbon,  whenever and wherever 

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is it true they're passing off $25 bourbon for well over $100? That's his accusation and something that should be provable, and if it's true they should be shut down. 

1 minute ago, Junior Miller said:

Is it true they're passing off $25 bourbon for well over $100? That's his accusation and something that should be provable, and if it's true they should be shut down. 

What do you believe they’re going to be shut down for? Making too much money?

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What do you believe they’re going to be shut down for? Making too much money?

I guess I assumed there were laws against misrepresentation of product to price gouge like if a grocery store tried to sell low grade beef labeled as "prime" it would be against the law. If not then that seems like something that should be regulated against. 

I guess I assumed there were laws against misrepresentation of product to price gouge like if a grocery store tried to sell low grade beef labeled as "prime" it would be against the law. If not then that seems like something that should be regulated against. 
It's not a misrepresentation, it's not like they are putting fake age labels on the bottle. You just have to be a smart consumer and not fall for their ploy.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

There are no such laws. Bourbon only has to be made in US and be at least 51% corn, distilled to no more than 160 proof of the still, and aged in new charred white oak barrels bottled at minimum 80 proof, no added color or flavoring. It only has to contain an age statement if any of the bourbon is under 4 years old. 

If a Kentucky distillery produced two barrels of the same 4 year old bourbon. Let’s say Barrel A and Barrel B. They sell Barrel A to Angels Envy who sells the bourbon to consumer at $40/bottle. They sell Barrel B to Kentucky Owl who says their master blender sprayed unicorn dust on it and made this blend super special by mixing it with a 12 year old bourbon even if it’s still mostly 85% the 4 year old, and sells it for $125 a bottle 

Legal as shit. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

There are no such laws. Bourbon only has to be made in US and be at least 51% corn, distilled to no more than 160 proof of the still, and aged in new charred white oak barrels bottled at minimum 80 proof, no added color or flavoring. It only has to contain an age statement if any of the bourbon is under 4 years old. 

If a Kentucky distillery produced two barrels of the same 4 year old bourbon. Let’s say Barrel A and Barrel B. They sell Barrel A to Angels Envy who sells the bourbon to consumer at $40/bottle. They sell Barrel B to Kentucky Owl who says their master blender sprayed unicorn dust on it and made this blend super special by mixing it with a 12 year old bourbon even if it’s still mostly 85% the 4 year old, and sells it for $125 a bottle 

Legal as shit. 

Wow, thanks for that information. I was incorrect in I thought they were buying a certain low grade of whiskey then turning around and saying it was older than it was. Shit, that's a good racket to be in. Buy swill for dirt cheap, pay some famous fucks to push it all over social media, and sell it at 2000 percent markup as "exquisite quality for exquisite tastes" in a fancy looking bottle to morons. 

For the record I like age statements. Elijah Craig 12 was better than Small Batch. Wild Turkey 101 was better with the 8 year age statement. 

I also don't have a problem with blenders/sourcers that are transparent. Jefferson's, Wild West, and until recently, Kentucky Owl. 

Pretty fair review of Confiscated from Breaking Bourbon: https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/kentucky-owl-confiscated

It's too expensive and completely lacks transparency, but Dixon Dedman is the probably best blender maybe alive today. He sold out, who wouldn't, but claims to be involved in the day to day operations. He could be sitting on a beach in Bora Bora, but he's running the Beaumont Inn in Harrodsburg Kentucky. Call me an idiot, but I trust the guy. 

So at the end of the day, if it tastes good and people are willing to pay for it, who's getting hurt here? 

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've read a few articles that suggested it. I'm rotating a bottle every 6 months. One around Thanksgiving and another on Memorial Day weekend. The first 1 year blend will be ready this coming Thanksgiving. 

In a mini barrel or just a bottle/decanter?

60/40 ratio of antique/ W12?

I've read a few articles that suggested it. I'm rotating a bottle every 6 months. One around Thanksgiving and another on Memorial Day weekend. The first 1 year blend will be ready this coming Thanksgiving. 

You have way more self control than I do.

I’ll be sad when these are gone:

7a0fb0501ee953b28f7e3ed818ad9901.jpg
  • Like 1