Bourbon

Jimbaround

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What's a good bargain bourbon/rye that most of us haven't tried?  

Have you tried Jim Beam distiller's cut? May be a bit harder to find now, was a limited release but they made a lot of it.

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good meaning actually good or good meaning "this is not as bad as I expected" and wins the occasional blind test at some bloggers apartment?

If it's the first, I don't think it exists in this crowd. If it's the second, probably Benchmark #8, which is surprisingly drinkable for $10, the kind of thing you could serve with no complaints at a shotgun wedding between college students.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

24 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Know you aren't in Houston but you can find the KO in Spec's for roughly $200.  It's available around here without that kind of markup.  I like it but not at $200.

Yep, pretty easy to find at $189.

Why not drink it? That's what they made it for.

I might rather have 8 bottles of something else?  I don't know.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ancient ancient age for the bourbon value win.  If you can find it.  I like Old Overholt bonded for the well rye if rittenhouse isn’t available.  OF rye is also an affordable well option.  

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like Old Forester's new Rye, for 20-25 it's an incredible value and it's great drank neat. I like it more than all other sub 30 ryes.  I bought it to mix mainly, but it's actually too good for that...

Edited by TXs
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Thanks for the responses fellas. About what I expected. 

Old Forrester Rye is clearly the best rye under $25. 

What's the best bourbon under $25 not named Weller Antique/12?

I nominate Buffalo Trace Single Barrel/Store Picks. I've liked some bottles better than regular Eagle Rare. 

Old Grand Dad 114 was OK, I like the bonded better. Neither were what I would consider good. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Thanks for the responses fellas. About what I expected. 

Old Forrester Rye is clearly the best rye under $25. 

What's the best bourbon under $25 not named Weller Antique/12?

I nominate Buffalo Trace Single Barrel/Store Picks. I've liked some bottles better than regular Eagle Rare. 

Old Grand Dad 114 was OK, I like the bonded better. Neither were what I would consider good. 

I would have said Rittenhouse a year ago, but it's over $25 now. OF Rye is really good.

As far as bourbon, not sure where anyone is finding OWA/12 for <$25 nowadays. BT store picks are a good call. For non-store picks my go-to is WT101. If you want to go even cheaper I'm a fan of Evan Williams BiB.

It’s just one craft distiller, some dude, and a podcast, but The Bourbon Daily guys recommend buying Kentucky Owl Confiscated. It aired on April 30.

Cliffs: 

- Drinks 10 proof points higher than 98.6. 

- Complex. Most of the stated tasting notes come through. 

- Good mouth feel. Sits well on the palette. 

- Holds up throughout the pour. 

- The distiller reviewer speculates the age to be 6-8 years. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s just one craft distiller, some dude, and a podcast, but The Bourbon Daily guys recommend buying Kentucky Owl Confiscated. It aired on April 30.

Cliffs: 

I’m a little suspicious they’re pushing this to be honest. Stoli came, bought out KO, took away transparency and age statement, sourced from unknown, and still charged a huge price. These guys would normally eviscerate that kind of story. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m a little suspicious they’re pushing this to be honest. Stoli came, bought out KO, took away transparency and age statement, sourced from unknown, and still charged a huge price. These guys would normally eviscerate that kind of story. 

It's a valid concern. Bourbon Daily reportedly received a 200ml sample, but I'm sure it was the abosolute best sample Kentucky Owl could produce. 

Confiscated reviews from industry experts are very scarce. It's odd. Thank goodness for reddit: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/bgn09g/review_110_kentucky_owl_confiscated/

1 minute ago, thestud said:

Thought I told you that? Sorry. Don’t quote me on it because I’m not certain but I think bottles over there in a lot of countries are taxed by volume? I was told the tax difference in 700 and 750 is significant.

Not an issue.  Just surprised me when I was holding it.   

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Fucking Euros and their tiny bottles!  The Blanton's bottles are only 700 ml!  I thought it felt small in my hand, so I looked.

Lighten up Francis, been that way for almost 3 decades...😎

https://www.diffordsguide.com/encyclopedia/235/bws/bottle-sizes-the-worlds-mandatory-bottle-sizes

Edited by RaylanGivens

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Cliffs: 

Its all about the years these days. If its 6 to 8 years it will sit on the shelves. If its 10 years or more. You will not be able to find it except on FB for 2 to 3 times the price.

9 hours ago, ckhorn said:

Its all about the years these days. If its 6 to 8 years it will sit on the shelves. If its 10 years or more. You will not be able to find it except on FB for 2 to 3 times the price.

In the reddit thread I linked at on the previous page, a poster claims Kentucky Owl told him that Confiscated is a blend of 6, 9,10, and 12 year bourbons. So, mostly a 6 year. 

I'll continue to read/listen to every interview with Dixon Dedman to ascertain how involved with the Kentucky Owl he really is. He must have known there would be a backlash to no age statement, and he didn't try to talk Stoli out of it. Not a great sign. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ezra Brooks 7 Barrel Strength has hit Houston. I just cleaned out a store. $30 a bottle might be the best bargain in bourbon right now. I’ve paid $12 a pour many, many times at my local watering hole. 

damn, still have not seen it in austin.