Bourbon

Jimbaround

12 minutes ago, thestud said:

Black is the same as the green, just a different color and some Japanese writing on the label.

Red is the same as regular single barrel we have here in the states, just a different color and some Japanese writing on the label.

There are unsubstantiated rumors that the Japanese releases are a bit older than their American counterparts, but none of the four mentioned above come with age statements so that’s all hearsay.

While all true, they are variants nonetheless!

1 hour ago, thestud said:

Black is the same as the green, just a different color and some Japanese writing on the label.

Red is the same as regular single barrel we have here in the states, just a different color and some Japanese writing on the label.

There are unsubstantiated rumors that the Japanese releases are a bit older than their American counterparts, but none of the four mentioned above come with age statements so that’s all hearsay.

I don't think it's unsubstantiated. I believe the Japanese releases are at least 8 years old. That makes them roughly 2 years older. Not much different and not worth paying a big premium or anything, but I believe that is confirmed. 

I picked up a black for ~$40, but I haven't gotten the Red yet. I do have the Silver also though. 

Obviously since they are single barrel bottlings the taste will vary from one to the next. From what I have had so far the SFTB is significantly better than Gold which is significantly better than regular which is significantly better than green. A good SFTB is better than 2018 GTS. 

F04211-BC-F00-E-4243-AFED-637860-EF7696.

5 minutes ago, huge said:

Well shit fire and save matches.  That leads me to believe my SFTB would be valuable trade bait?

They've gone up the past couple of months. You can get $200 - $225 for any random SFTB. For the right barrels like 880 - 885, you get a premium over that.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't have a secondary market value of the GTS, which the 2018 is going for around $400. I just like it better.   

I see it fairly often in small towns and can get it almost at will. I’m afraid thats about to be over. I can remember when Blantons was 5-6 deep on the shelf too.

First bottle of Blantons I ever bought was for my dad at Christmas, that was probably 10-12 years ago. My dad always drank Weller, i wanted to get him something that he wouldn’t get for himself. They had it on the shelf just like Jack D. 

bought 5 bottles today - jack daniels master distiller, jack daniels single barrel select (store pick), makers mark private select (store pick), amador, and Kentucky owl confiscated.  guess which one i'm going to open tonight and pound down like a sailor?  that's right, the $36 amador.  it's not just for breakfast anymore. 

4 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

bought 5 bottles today - jack daniels master distiller, jack daniels single barrel select (store pick), makers mark private select (store pick), amador, and Kentucky owl confiscated.  guess which one i'm going to open tonight and pound down like a sailor?  that's right, the $36 amador.  it's not just for breakfast anymore. 

The Jack Daniels Heritage Barrel stuff is supposed to be really good. 

8 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

The Jack Daniels Single Barrel/Barrel proof is consistently one of my favorite bottles.  

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Jack Daniels Heritage Barrel stuff is supposed to be really good. 

is that the master distiller series?  this is the second edition (I missed the first) - jess motlow. he was the master distiller there from 1911-41.  supposedly they're using his recipe.  I wish they told you more about it.  there's pretty vague info on the box and bottle labels.  one thing that jumps out is its a totally different color than the standard jack, lighter actually.  may mean less time in the charcoal stacks, not sure. 

1 minute ago, thrillhammer said:

is that the master distiller series?  this is the second edition (I missed the first) - jess motlow. he was the master distiller there from 1911-41.  supposedly they're using his recipe.  I wish they told you more about it.  there's pretty vague info on the box and bottle labels.  one thing that jumps out is its a totally different color than the standard jack, lighter actually.  may mean less time in the charcoal stacks, not sure. 

I don't know much about it. It has a dark blue/navy label. The Bourbon Pursuit guys love it. It has not been easy to find. 

Thought I’d try the lower shelf corn whiskey. Only $13 a liter. Sweeeeet
6123a9131b0af811a4257d3fbb440125.jpg

Into the barrel for some extra sweet love. I’m going to call this Bellaire Owl Batch #1
5d683c1713016b5a5218b52b39f16962.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One week into the barrel aging experiment and it’s definitely taken on some color and an oak to the nose. Less so on the palate. Guessing minimum one week more, likely two.

1150bcb1c373fdb4896a92d1e3e81c05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, huge said:

Anyone had the Boone County 14 year yet?  Have a line on a bottle but its like $170...

That's under retail, I have 2 that I bought from party source for 220 after tax. Deps pick was around 210 after tax I believe and ggg around 220. I haven't opened either yet though

In their latest podcast, the Bourbon Pursuit guys implored their listeners to not go to the secondary market for Four Roses Small Batch Select. Apparently some bottles sold online for a whooping $200. 

They said it should be a wide release eventually,  and you should only pay $55-$65 a bottle. 

Im not buying the wide release. It’s only available in 5 states, and it’s the first new product from Four Roses in 13 years. Y’all can do the math on that one, it’s going to be rare. 

After asking around town it’s going to be an extremely limited release in Houston. Most stores are only expecting 6 bottles. 

If you can find it online for under $75, I’d pull the trigger and do it fast. 

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Total, Twin, Deb's, or the Oak? 

Specs (100% will be here) and Total. I "think" I may have seen it at Oak also, don't recall seeing it at Debs but I go there less and less due to their markups (they had a ECBP the other week I stopped in for north of $80).

Edited by TXs