Bourbon

Jimbaround

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So hit or miss. I won't try it again until I see a store pick. I need some semblance of a guarantee. 

Good luck finding one.  Heaven Hill stopped releasing McKenna barrels in 2015.  Twins picked a barrel in 2014 that was pure tits.

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

In their latest podcast, the Bourbon Pursuit guys implored their listeners to not go to the secondary market for Four Roses Small Batch Select. Apparently some bottles sold online for a whooping $200. 

They said it should be a wide release eventually,  and you should only pay $55-$65 a bottle. 

Im not buying the wide release. It’s only available in 5 states, and it’s the first new product from Four Roses in 13 years. Y’all can do the math on that one, it’s going to be rare. 

After asking around town it’s going to be an extremely limited release in Houston. Most stores are only expecting 6 bottles. 

If you can find it online for under $75, I’d pull the trigger and do it fast. 

https://www.blackwellswines.com/products/four-roses-small-batch-select-bourbon-whiskey

Just now, thestud said:

I hate that the secondary market has made it so hard to find the good stuff for those of us that actually drink it. That being said, I vote you go back and grab two more and flip those bitches. $200 after shipping for a GTS or a slew of ETL or the like would be a real
nice day.

Would if I could but you know how it goes, I had to get lucky to get this one...

4 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I don't get it.  boone county 12 is $55.  why are you paying $175 for boone county 14? 2 yrs can make a difference but nowhere near that dollar amount.  pappy 10 retails for $50, pappy 15 for $80.  that's 5 years more aging of a way better bourbon.  

Ummmmm...Let me know where I can buy this $80 PVW15

10 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I didn't say you can find it.  I just used it as an example of normal markup.  even in this fad industry, 2 years extra aging doesn't warrant a 400% markup.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Pappy is distilled by Buffalo Trace. They make more every year. They’ve been making it for a while. They have stocks coming of age every year. They don’t raise their price even though they could by a factor of 10. 

Boone County is still aging their own distillate, and has to source (buy) aged distillate from MGP. And it’s not like MGP has a ton of 12-14 year old aged barrels sitting around. They’ve already sold them to Old Scout, OKI, Belle Meade, Etc. So whatever they do have is going for a very steep price on the open market. As to why sourced 12 year is priced different than sourced 14 year, it is the market. I would assume they originally bought X amount of barrels. They released a 12 year SB in 2017 and also a younger 10 year. That was 2 years ago. You could buy Old Scout 11 SB a couple years ago. Hell I remember buying it from the shelf. Shit has changed in 2 years. Supplies are gone. Maybe they held back some barrels and let them age a couple more years. They priced it that high because any high age MGP is going for that much. 

I didn't say you can find it.  I just used it as an example of normal markup.  even in this fad industry, 2 years extra aging doesn't warrant a 400% markup.

There is also the whole Four Horseman whatever add on. Not that the guy up there cares, because store picks is bullshit

Found my first ever legit diamond in the rough. Walked into a rando liquor store in San Francisco two blocks from Moscone to find a bottle of EC12 in the locked cabinet. Old label, big 12 right on the front. Guy said "$79.99" and I said "get the keys, please." When he opened the cabinet, motherfucker had TWO bottles. Bought 'em both. Looking back, he also had two bottles of ECBP. Probably should have bought those, too, but still ...

Also hearing rumors of more EHTaylor Single Barrel this fall, in decent enough quantities that some might actually hit shelves. I"m hopeful, but not naive. We'll see.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Found my first ever legit diamond in the rough. Walked into a rando liquor store in San Francisco two blocks from Moscone to find a bottle of EC12 in the locked cabinet. Old label, big 12 right on the front. Guy said "$79.99" and I said "get the keys, please." When he opened the cabinet, motherfucker had TWO bottles. Bought 'em both. Looking back, he also had two bottles of ECBP. Probably should have bought those, too, but still ...

Also hearing rumors of more EHTaylor Single Barrel this fall, in decent enough quantities that some might actually hit shelves. I"m hopeful, but not naive. We'll see.

Good score. I've never tasted OG Elijah Craig 12. The Heaven Hill guys have talked themselves into circles trying to explain the age statement removal. I think on some level they understand they screwed up, but they can't walk it back now. 

20 hours ago, thestud said:

Is it the Limited Sighting or regular Bourye? Ltd. Sighting is $79 at TW all day.

What’s the difference betweeen regular and  Limited Sigting Bourye? I believe I’ve only seen and tasted the Limited Sighting. 

I wish High West would do three things: 

1) For the love of the Almighty bring back Son of Bourye. It’ll move at $40 a bottle, not at $80 like Bourye. 

2) A larger store pick program for American Prairie Bourbon. NASA is the only place I’ve ever seen it. 

3) A store pick program for Rendezvous Rye, only if it doesn’t cut it Midwinter’s Night Dram.

Just had Four Roses Small Batch Select - not bad but I prefer single barrel regardless of price. Paid $58 at twin knowing TW would be cheaper but harder to get to in this rain.

Maybe I’ll have a second poor with each just to be sure... science requires rigorous testing.

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's a warm pour that goes in sweet transitions into smooth. Backs it up with complexity. Nice full finish. To no one's surprise, the Elliotts are virtuosi. 

I would agree with this assessment. I really like that full mouth spice. Good shit. 

45 minutes ago, EverywhereMan said:

Just had Four Roses Small Batch Select - not bad but I prefer single barrel regardless of price. Paid $58 at twin knowing TW would be cheaper but harder to get to in this rain.

Maybe I’ll have a second poor with each just to be sure... science requires rigorous testing.

$56 at OLC when I grabbed one out of his 12 cases today.  $50 cash at Spec’s Brodie later. 

18 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

OTC comes to Houston next week, so that can be good, and Bad for Bourbon lovers...

Yeah I wonder if that certain store has been holding stuff back for a big convention week. 

If imagine Confiscated makes a sudden appearance.  

Edited by billfromlaketravis