Bourbon

Jimbaround

16 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I’m a relative cigar noob. How can one procure some Cubans?

I had a couple stuffed into my suit pockets during NAPE. Holy s***. The myth is true.

I'd reach out to your buds in the cigar community and ask around. PM me if you need additional help. I'm not saying I can snap my fingers and produce a box, but I can point you in the right direction. 

56 minutes ago, milkman said:

You guys are a tough group! There are no mixers in the glass. I prefer a lower ABV so that is why I have some ice in the glass. Next time when one of y’all is buying I’ll gladly drink it neat!

You guys instead of y'all. Drinking a fine bourbon with that much ice. Are you from Nebraska or Kansas? 

2 hours ago, milkman said:

You guys are a tough group! There are no mixers in the glass. I prefer a lower ABV so that is why I have some ice in the glass. Next time when one of y’all is buying I’ll gladly drink it neat!

It looks like a glass of iced tea. A single cube of ice would lower the ABV significantly. 

14 hours ago, milkman said:

Some ice?  That’s all the ice.  Elmer T Lee would be proud of that 60 proof pour.  

• Like 1

Had a few buddies over to watch Sat Night Games.  Opened a Bookers 18-04.   Hot and delicious.  Gone by half time of the tech game.  Have a couple of the other releases to work on -  are they all similar or do they vary a fair bit?    Trying to decide if I need to track another one of these down or just work through the others.  

On 3/8/2019 at 10:26 AM, Errestaurants said:

Went with these 2. Total Wine on Hulen is great.40e46c5d657cc6c7e1bd67d3a5861bf8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Father in Law loved the Russell's, its already gone. He's so so on the Old forester. Besides getting another bottle of the Russell you guys got any other suggestions from total wine?

36 minutes ago, thestud said:

I like the 1910 as well, but I tend to gravitate towards the higher proofs. 93 proof isn’t blasphemous to me as I thoroughly enjoy ER10, Blanton’s and BT. Just trying to make suggestions of what he could readily find on the shelf, here in the metroplex 1910 has been very scarce in comparison to 1920.

Old Forester sold out of 1910 much faster than expected. http://www.gobourbon.com/happy-holidays-old-forester-is-sold-out-of-1910-old-fine-whisky/

I believe July is the expected return date. 

5 hours ago, TheAuditor said:

Had a few buddies over to watch Sat Night Games.  Opened a Bookers 18-04.   Hot and delicious.  Gone by half time of the tech game.  Have a couple of the other releases to work on -  are they all similar or do they vary a fair bit?    Trying to decide if I need to track another one of these down or just work through the others.  

I've never had a Booker's that disappointed, they vary a little from bottle to bottle, but the overall "Booker's profile is pretty similar each bottling. If you enjoy a particular bottle, seek it out while its available. There's plenty of tasting info available on each bottle to be found on the web. I do believe that 2018-04, "Kitchen Table" was highly rated last year.

Edited by RaylanGivens

1 hour ago, brown water said:

Found this bottle in Greenville for our Thursday night toast before heading to the second round in Augusta.  Barreled just before Mickelson’s first green jacket.

8x06c9.jpg

Have to pass on my customary opening round drink since I’m on the road. 

2ut5llg.jpg

Sweet (14.5 yrs ?), who did you have to kill, err...how much were they asking for that jewel?

Edited by RaylanGivens
  • Like 1

Are there any allocated releases on the horizon? If Jefferson's Presidential came and went, I will be pissed. 

Second most disappointed I’ve been in an expensive bottle behind EC 23

Maybe it was the batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are there any allocated releases on the horizon? If Jefferson's Presidential came and went, I will be pissed. 

Maybe it was the batch.

1 minute ago, huge said:

Maybe it was the batch.

I suspect the Jefferson's Twin Oak Single Barrel is Presidential's much cheaper little brother. I bought it by accident, and I was shocked by how much I enjoyed it. I suspect the retailer I bought it from gets primo barrel picks, but it was still really good. 

2 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

TW at Willowbrook had about a case (I saw 6 bottles)  of the Smooth Ambler Old Scout Single Barrel Select (13 yr. 97 proof) available on the Customer service  desk at around 8:30 PM Wed night. Limit 1 $64.99. 

Buy or Pass? Earlier versions were MGP, were they not

As detailed in a previous post, the 2019 release is most likely sourced from Dickel.

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

As detailed in a previous post, the 2019 release is most likely sourced from Dickel.

Thanks Bill, I missed that one. 13 yr Dickel bourbon...not sure what to think.

Most likely all gone at this point, so it's moot. I did pick up another KCSB TW store pick, so that was a win. 

Edited by RaylanGivens

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is Cream of Kentucky worth anywhere near $200 + shipping? 

Cream of Kentucky sat on shelves here for a month or 2 at 140 per bottle, I didn't hear great things but who knows. 

TW at Willowbrook had about a case (I saw 6 bottles)  of the Smooth Ambler Old Scout Single Barrel Select (13 yr. 97 proof) available on the Customer service  desk at around 8:30 PM Wed night. Limit 1 $64.99. 
Buy or Pass? Earlier versions were MGP, were they not

If it says Single Barrel Select on tjenfront and Distilled in Tennessee on the back it’s Dickel.

I picked up a bottle of Boone County Eighteen 33 today. There's certainly no shortage of it yet, but I want a bottle just in case it's suddenly unavailable. 

I'm sure Boone County is getting some nice offers for their 12 year old MGP bourbon. 

It'll be interesting to see if the sourcers sales go down using Dickel bourbon. I don't care for it. 

33 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I picked up a bottle of Boone County Eighteen 33 today. There's certainly no shortage of it yet, but I want a bottle just in case it's suddenly unavailable. 

I'm sure Boone County is getting some nice offers for their 12 year old MGP bourbon. 

It'll be interesting to see if the sourcers sales go down using Dickel bourbon. I don't care for it. 

same

20190412-164017.jpg

Edited by TXs

Stopped by a local liquor store yesterday because I heard they occasionally got Blanton's and my FIL is always looking for some. Ended up signing up to be called anytime they get an allocation of something interesting. I'm a craft beer guy and have no idea what I just signed up for. Any specific bourbons I should be on the lookout for?

Picked up a 1792 BIB store pick and a Jospeh Magnus to quench my MGP thirst. The 1792 was flat and uninteresting. I was hoping that store pick would add some flare in a similar way the Buffalo Trace rocked, but it did not. The store guy said it was 8 years old but it didn’t taste that way. 

The Jospeh Magnus was good MGP. Supposedly 8-9 years old. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Picked up a 1792 BIB store pick and a Jospeh Magnus to quench my MGP thirst. The 1792 was flat and uninteresting. I was hoping that store pick would add some flare in a similar way the Buffalo Trace rocked, but it did not. The store guy said it was 8 years old but it didn’t taste that way. 

The Jospeh Magnus was good MGP. Supposedly 8-9 years old. 

Magnus Cigar Blend? 

8 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Kentucky Owl Confiscated hitting everywhere. How good is it?

I went down a rabbit hole trying to find what’s actually in the bottle. No one knows the age or where the bourbon is from. This is the first national release after Stoli bought Kentucky Owl. The bottle states Kentucky Straight Bourbon, so it’s made in Kentucky and at least 2 years old. Supposedly DSPs selling stock in Kentucky are Brown Foreman, Barton, and maybe Heaven Hill.  (MGP in Indiana and Dickel in Tennessee, but this is from Kentucky), but again no one knows where it’s from. 

But this lead me to this podcast with Fred Minnick and Jeff Hopmayer. Jeff is a bourbon broker who helps these NDPs source their bourbon and he made some eye opening statements. He helped Kentucky Owl, Barrel Bourbon, etc.

https://bourbonpursuit.com/2019/01/03/182-exposing-the-secrets-of-bourbon-sourcing-with-jeff-hopmayer-of-the-brindiamo-group/

A few things I learned. 

1. A reason these new bourbons are so expensive. The big boys have the 30-50 dollar range locked down. They have been doing this for a hundreds years. They are efficient and have economic scale. You won’t be able to match the quality and volume of their product in that price range. 4 Roses Single Barrel. Eagle Rare 10. Buffalo Trace. Elijah Craig Small Batch. Henry McKenna 10. I mean those are all phenomenal bourbons for the price point. 

So new guys have to release something super high premium to get noticed. People are willing to spend money on high end stuff on none name brands, because there isn’t enough BTAC for everyone, but if you’re spending 30-50, are you going to buy ER10 or Rebecca Creek? Exactly 

2. While he said not every DSP sells extra stock on the open market, he said he might buy from one of their partners. For example, 4 Roses sold distillate to Bulleit under some partnership or whatever. Then this guy would buy extra from Bulleit. 

3. Texas, Wyoming, and Virginia are states that sell extra bourbon distillate on the open market. People buy it because it’s cheaper than Kentucky. And if you are mixing it anyways, and maybe sending it to Europe, whatever.