Bourbon

Jimbaround

13 hours ago, Horn21 said:

Headed to Kentucky 4/15-4/19 for [mention=1802]BTW[/mention] 40th. Hitting up some distilleries, horse races, Louisville Slugger HQ, and Valhalla.

Any can’t-miss recs? I know we’re doing Makers. Others are up in the air at this point, I believe.

BT for sure. Stitzel Weller was cool as well

Headed to Kentucky 4/15-4/19 for [mention=1802]BTW[/mention] 40th. Hitting up some distilleries, horse races, Louisville Slugger HQ, and Valhalla.

Any can’t-miss recs? I know we’re doing Makers. Others are up in the air at this point, I believe.

The Evan Williams speakeasy tour was fun and unique. Sign up in advance though, it fills up.

Spoiler alert, they named Wild Turkey 101 as their most underrated bourbon. 

I kind of agree. I've passed it over so many times in my older age. I know it's good, but it's so easy to find,  I won't buy it. 

Maybe I should put myself on a budget during the summer dry season and drink nothing but budget bourbons for a month. Wild Turkey 101, Old Grand 117, Elijah Craig, and Old Forester Rye just to change it up. 

Does anybody know where I can find some Buffalo Trace White Dog? I want char a white oak stave and age it in mason char. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Spoiler alert, they named Wild Turkey 101 as their most underrated bourbon. 

I kind of agree. I've passed it over so many times in my older age. I know it's good, but it's so easy to find,  I won't buy it. 

Maybe I should put myself on a budget during the summer dry season and drink nothing but budget bourbons for a month. Wild Turkey 101, Old Grand 117, Elijah Craig, and Old Forester Rye just to change it up. 

Does anybody know where I can find some Buffalo Trace White Dog? I want char a white oak stave and age it in mason char. 

Love WT101. Always drinks smooth, and taste different--has that sour yeasty taste. But I always get tired of it after an entire bottle until I eventually come  back to it. Either way, I'd take it all day over regular Buffalo Trace (which I think has too much ethanol).

WT101 and EH Taylor small batch and my favorite under $35 whiskeys. Taste 2x as expensive. 

Edited by TXs

On 4/2/2019 at 3:41 PM, huge said:

FINE, I'll try to find some.

I bought this, curious if anyone has tried the new batch...

2019022214_smooth_ambler_old_scout_singl

An Orangebloods poster in their bourbon thread claims almost of the sourced 13 year old single barrels this year are Dickel. I’d make darned sure that’s MGP before I bought it. 

I didn’t care for the 2018 batch. It was alright, but not worth what I paid for it. 

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

An Orangebloods poster in their bourbon thread claims almost of the sourced 13 year old single barrels this year are Dickel. I’d make darned sure that’s MGP before I bought it. 

I didn’t care for the 2018 batch. It was alright, but not worth what I paid for it. 

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18283001000061

The back side of the label says distilled in Tennessee. which means Dickel. The age and proof are dummy numbers for label approval. 

MGP doesn’t have any old stock left. It’d already been bought up and released by Old Scout, OKI, etc

57 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

Just pulled the trigger on a sftb and a gold. Hope this stuff is what dreams are made of. 

My SFTB is good. I’m liking it. I will say that I still think my bottle of C918 Elijah Craig barrel proof is better. But, that’s just my opinion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18283001000061

The back side of the label says distilled in Tennessee. which means Dickel. The age and proof are dummy numbers for label approval. 

MGP doesn’t have any old stock left. It’d already been bought up and released by Old Scout, OKI, etc

So, stock up on Boone County Eighteen 33 before it's too late? 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

26 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So, stock up on Boone County Eighteen 33 before it's too late? 

Pretty much. You can see the dearth of the surplus market when the usual suspects (Barrell Bourbon, SOAS) are releasing Dickel products. Willet has some KY sourced stuff with connections. But it seems like NDPs don’t have as good as stuff as they used to

8 hours ago, milkman said:

Finished off a bottle last night! Very generous pour from the bartender!

2171872d21b6939a1d9f6c09629337de.jpg

Last Saturday I was lucky enough to get the last pour of a restaurant's WLW, smart enough to order neat* and wise enough to ask if they'd let me keep the empty bottle  

* with a separate glass of ice that I can add if necessary.  

Edited by brown water

tried all 5 of the btac selections last weekend.  was not as impressed with them as i was the year before.  had a sample of the pappy 23 right after and it blew me away.  much better than any of the btac's.   one thing i learned though, one of them (either the sazerac or the handy) had 73% angel's share, so they only ended up with 23 barrels.  no wonder we can't find this shit.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/kentucky-owl-expands-nationwide-with-new-confiscated-bourbon/

Confiscated is bottled at 96.4 proof (48.2% ABV), and is being made available starting this month across the country for around $125 per 750 ml bottle. Official tasting notes for it indicate that it “delivers notes of floral gardenia and honeysuckle, along with grape, red apple, orange cuties, wet banana bread and toasty sourdough bread crust on the nose. The taste is reminiscent of graham crackers, toffee, muted sweet cinnamon spice, and fresh-squeezed orange juice balanced with white grapes and finishing with a hint of cayenne.”

I wonder where this is sourced from

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ll probably be the only dissenting opinion here. Most people love it. 

i've got two bottles of it, and cracked one open a couple of weeks ago.  it's okay, but not exceptional.  i think what makes it great is the price point.  it's better than elijah craig, knob creek, buffalo trace, and makers mark.  maybe not quite as good as eagle rare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

McKenna worth the hype?  Going to crack it tonight to see what all the fuss is about. 

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

i've got two bottles of it, and cracked one open a couple of weeks ago.  it's okay, but not exceptional.  i think what makes it great is the price point.  it's better than elijah craig, knob creek, buffalo trace, and makers mark.  maybe not quite as good as eagle rare.

I agree with this take. If you go in expecting a damn good $30 bourbon, you'll be happy.