Bourbon

Jimbaround

29 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

I’m sitting on three.

[ducks]

Yep, should have bought more in the fall. Best double oaked I've ever tasted., and much cheaper than comparable bottles. 

Perhaps, maybe, Old Forester is positioning themselves as he every man's bourbon. What Weller once was, some years ago. 

Since the mint is thriving and I wanted to try this 1792 Full Proof I figured I should get some julep practice in before the Derby in May.

fbb3ac18efa397d2f9e723b6ebdeeb8b.jpg

How was it?

I’ve started bottles of the Single Barrel and the BiB. Liked the BiB. Still waiting to pop the Full Proof.

*Hot Take Alert* I don't really like E.H. Taylor Small Batch. I pass every time if it's not Single Barrel. Even then I have to think about it. i don't think the Single Barrel is priced very well. It's usually $60 at Spec's. It should be $45-50 bottle. 

Barrel Proof and the Rye are worth every penny. 

My current bottle of Barrel 14 Year, Oak Store Pick will probably be my last. It's fine, but for a 14 year, high proof, $85 bourbon it should be better. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

*Hot Take Alert* I don't really like E.H. Taylor Small Batch. I pass every time if it's not Single Barrel. Even then I have to think about it. i don't think the Single Barrel is priced very well. It's usually $60 at Spec's. It should be $45-50 bottle. 

Barrel Proof and the Rye are worth every penny. 

My current bottle of Barrel 14 Year, Oak Store Pick will probably be my last. It's fine, but for a 14 year, high proof, $85 bourbon it should be better. 

Barrel Bourbon 14 is sourced from Dickel. Some people love it, some people find it off putting. 

On 3/8/2019 at 5:48 PM, thrillhammer said:

that store always seems to charge $10 more than the going rate at other stores.  not a gunthers fan.

That's funny you say that. I have bought several bottles of ER there, and always paid around $30 (have also bought the 1.75s for $65). Then last weekend I stopped by to pick one up, and was shocked to see the $40 when it rang up. I still bought it because it's still a good value for that price to me, but I was surprised.

That's funny you say that. I have bought several bottles of ER there, and always paid around $30 (have also bought the 1.75s for $65). Then last weekend I stopped by to pick one up, and was shocked to see the $40 when it rang up. I still bought it because it's still a good value for that price to me, but I was surprised.

Well here’s another one none of us will be able to find retail.
85c4a407b48711484ee563b7c3689819.jpg

49 minutes ago, Constant said:

This may be sacrilege to some of you here, but I picked up a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel/Barrel Proof and it’s pretty damned good in my opinion. 

The Heritage Barrel stuff is supposed to be excellent. They seem to be improving. 

GG was bone dry today. The worst I’ve ever seen it. We might be in a spring drought gentlemen. 

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Try one of the Facebook secondary markets. The mark up isn't bad. 

Thanks Bill, will give em look. On a side note, a colleague did run across two bottles that the proprietor of the store was extremely proud of...@ 249.99 each! 💰

Edited by RaylanGivens