Bourbon

Jimbaround

6 hours ago, huge said:

Where in the helllllll did you find the Bookers30?  Ive never even seen it in a bar...

A little store between Slidell and Gulfport. Had PVW 23yr sitting right next to it. The B30 was $239. The 23 was $1,799. We had a nice disagreement to what the MSRP was for the Pappy. I told her around $250 and she claimed they paid over $1,000.  I came back through the next day and it was gone. I got a good deal compared to that idiot. It won't even get you laid. An OFC replaced it for $2,300.

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

How’d that TX sneak into your basket? Needed a home?

One of my sons likes that stuff. I have never tasted it.

In fact I don’t/can’t drink brown liquors anymore. Can only tolerate plain Vodka. The Reposado is for the wife’s Rita’s, and the Bourbons are gifts for the kids.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

That store we all hate, but we have to deal with out of necessity, has store picks from local restaurants. You just have to look hard, real hard. Their own store picks should be avoided unless we're talking Eagle Rare here. 

Houston is Gawd awful during Rodeo SZN. I saw a group in Midtown buying 30+ bottles of bourbon today. 

Good trip to Tulsa:
Found an OWA, MWND and an ECBP A119.

Out of curiosity, at which shop did you find MWND? I’ve seen it on the shelf once at a place I frequent, but never again. Wish I had bought it. I can find OWA and ECBP pretty regularly around here.

I stopped in a twins yesterday just for kicks.  its a little shitass store that never has anything unique or interesting but it does happen to be right next door to my heb (which was miraculously open).  I have 33 bottles of bourbon at home so wasn't really needing anything, and didn't expect to find any of the rare stuff i'm hunting at this little shitass store, but I thought I might pick up a 1.75 of something decent that I could pound, instead of all the expensive shit I try to conserve on or save for a special occasion.  well I didn't see any decent deals on 1.75's and I had pretty tried every other selection on their shelf so I picked up a bottle of knob creek maple.  had never tried any of the maple bourbons so thought what the heck.  what a mistake.  it's terrible.  I thought it was going to be more subtle, like finishing in a port or madeira barrel.  no.  it slaps you in the face with the maple flavor like a cock and balls.  does anyone know the process of this?  it is overly sweet, akin to maple syrup.  I tried cutting it in half with a rye, but the maple overpowers even when you cut it.  plus, I realized it will take me twice as long to finish if I drink it that way. 

are there maples staves in the oak barrels, or do they use maple for the barrels?  it really tastes so maple-y that I suspected that there is something artificial added to it, but it says all natural.   I cant believe maple wood has this much sugar in it.   again, it might be nice if it were a hint, a subtle flavor to the bourbon.   like the mesquite in long branch is subtle.  I cant taste the port in angels envy.  but this slaps you in the face like a cock and balls.  it's so nasty I don't know what i'm going to do with it. I've heard of bourbon-glazed ham, and if you were going to cook with a bourbon or make a glaze, this maple one is the one to do it with.  but I don't happen to have a ham lying around.  not sure how i'm ever going to get rid of it.

Total Wine : No Ragrets

So my wife drags me to Total Wine today. Yes, I forgot about Twins dollar sale. Anyway, she goes to buy a bunch of wine, and I make a pass by the front counter to see their “rare” bourbon but they didn’t have shit. I think I saw a Garrison Brothers something and a Balcones Single Malt Single Barrel. I thought I’d check out the bourbon aisle and see if anything catches my eye. Mr. Bourbon Man sees me and approaches . I inquire if they hand any ER or Blantons hiding in the back. He says nope. He then recommends I try the George Dickel 9 year. I inform him I’m not really a Dickel fan. That’s more a Tennessee whiskey style. He says okay, and mentions I try the Clyde Mays, it has more spice. I try not to let him see me rolling my eyes. He says it’s a sourced whiskey but it’s really good. It’s a really popular item. He finally says if I want to try something local, there is the Treaty Oak bourbon distilled in Dripping Springs. I ask if it’s sourced, he said no. I looked a the bottle, the regular one is not sourced. He then says the red one is a blend but it’s really good. I look at the back, it’s a blend of 2 year old Kentucky, 4 year old Virginia, and 13 year old Tennessee (which is Dickel). 

I thanked him for his time and found the wife and her wine cart. 

Oh to be a big store bourbon pusher. The life 

Edited by Neonmoon

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Total Wine : No Ragrets

So my wife drags me to Total Wine today. Yes, I forgot about Twins dollar sale. Anyway, she goes to buy a bunch of wine, and I make a pass by the front counter to see their “rare” bourbon but they didn’t have shit. I think I saw a Garrison Brothers something and a Balcones Single Malt Single Barrel. I thought I’d check out the bourbon aisle and see if anything catches my eye. Mr. Bourbon Man sees me and approaches . I inquire if they hand any ER or Blantons hiding in the back. He says nope. He then recommends I try the George Dickel 9 year. I inform him I’m not really a Dickel fan. That’s more a Tennessee whiskey style. He says okay, and mentions I try the Clyde Mays, it has more spice. I try not to let him see me rolling my eyes. He says it’s a sourced whiskey but it’s really good. It’s a really popular item. He finally says if I want to try something local, there is the Treaty Oak bourbon distilled in Dripping Springs. I ask if it’s sourced, he said no. I looked a the bottle, the regular one is not sourced. He then says the red one is a blend but it’s really good. I look at the back, it’s a blend of 2 year old Kentucky, 4 year old Virginia, and 13 year old Tennessee (which is Dickel). 

I thanked him for his time and found the wife and her wine cart. 

Oh to be a big store bourbon pusher. The life 

It’s gotta eat them inside. Most of these guys know their stuff, and would never drink that s*** at home. I’d love for the knowledgeable Spec’s guys to start their own boutique liquor store. 

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Truth. It seems like High West put out a lot of it this year. 

They should make as much as they can. 

An interesting thought from a store manager friend. This particular store always has OF1920 and 1910 on the shelf, and I commented to him that since they are both very good, I'm surprised they can keep them in stock, given the fad. 

He says, "My theory is that people don't want to pay for bourbon, not really. They want to buy bourbon they can't find. "

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

They should make as much as they can. 

An interesting thought from a store manager friend. This particular store always has OF1920 and 1910 on the shelf, and I commented to him that since they are both very good, I'm surprised they can keep them in stock, given the fad. 

He says, "My theory is that people don't want to pay for bourbon, not really. They want to buy bourbon they can't find. "

Flippers are the fing worst. 

28 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

He finally says if I want to try something local, there is the Treaty Oak bourbon distilled in Dripping Springs. I ask if it’s sourced, he said no. I looked a the bottle, the regular one is not sourced. He then says the red one is a blend but it’s really good. I look at the back, it’s a blend of 2 year old Kentucky, 4 year old Virginia, and 13 year old Tennessee (which is Dickel). 

The ghost hill, from dripping springs, is not sourced.  it's not bad, but it's not noteworthy either.  a texas bourbon I was recently impressed with was cody road.  pretty decent.

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

The ghost hill, from dripping springs, is not sourced.  it's not bad, but it's not noteworthy either.  a texas bourbon I was recently impressed with was cody road.  pretty decent.

my bad, I just remembered cody road was from iowa, not texas.  that makes it less good if you're a loyal Texan, but still a nice little bourbon if you're a bourbon fan.

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

my bad, I just remembered cody road was from iowa, not texas.  that makes it less good if you're a loyal Texan, but still a nice little bourbon if you're a bourbon fan.

Just googled. Cody Road is only aged 1 year. I don’t want to be an age whore, but I feel like you got to at least leave it in for 4 years. I don’t really care where the bourbon is from as long as it’s good. 

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Just googled. Cody Road is only aged 1 year. I don’t want to be an age whore, but I feel like you got to at least leave it in for 4 years. I don’t really care where the bourbon is from as long as it’s good. 

I hear ya.  I went in with low expectations and came away impressed.  i'm having a glass now in fact.  it's not bad.  I got it at a specs in Houston, at the same time as a bottle of cotton hollow.  had heard of both and never tried either.  the cotton hollow I had to give away.   too smoky and oaky and woody for me.  but this one I liked.

The bottle of rye someone gave me as a gift was horrible. You can taste how young it is. It’s about all you can notice.

Picked up a bottle of Barrel Dovetail today.  Never heard of it and had mixed opinions on Barrel from prior experience.  Fortunately the store had a sample. It was really good with my only objection being the alcohol burn in the finish. I expect that will mellow with some age in the open bottle. Recommend if you happen across a bottle. 

http://breakingbourbon.com/barrell-dovetail.html

8 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

I stopped in a twins yesterday just for kicks.  its a little shitass store that never has anything unique or interesting but it does happen to be right next door to my heb (which was miraculously open).  I have 33 bottles of bourbon at home so wasn't really needing anything, and didn't expect to find any of the rare stuff i'm hunting at this little shitass store, but I thought I might pick up a 1.75 of something decent that I could pound, instead of all the expensive shit I try to conserve on or save for a special occasion.  well I didn't see any decent deals on 1.75's and I had pretty tried every other selection on their shelf so I picked up a bottle of knob creek maple.  had never tried any of the maple bourbons so thought what the heck.  what a mistake.  it's terrible.  I thought it was going to be more subtle, like finishing in a port or madeira barrel.  no.  it slaps you in the face with the maple flavor like a cock and balls.  does anyone know the process of this?  it is overly sweet, akin to maple syrup.  I tried cutting it in half with a rye, but the maple overpowers even when you cut it.  plus, I realized it will take me twice as long to finish if I drink it that way. 

are there maples staves in the oak barrels, or do they use maple for the barrels?  it really tastes so maple-y that I suspected that there is something artificial added to it, but it says all natural.   I cant believe maple wood has this much sugar in it.   again, it might be nice if it were a hint, a subtle flavor to the bourbon.   like the mesquite in long branch is subtle.  I cant taste the port in angels envy.  but this slaps you in the face like a cock and balls.  it's so nasty I don't know what i'm going to do with it. I've heard of bourbon-glazed ham, and if you were going to cook with a bourbon or make a glaze, this maple one is the one to do it with.  but I don't happen to have a ham lying around.  not sure how i'm ever going to get rid of it.

Pour it on your Belgian waffles.

14 hours ago, brown water said:

Picked up a bottle of Barrel Dovetail today.  Never heard of it and had mixed opinions on Barrel from prior experience.  Fortunately the store had a sample. It was really good with my only objection being the alcohol burn in the finish. I expect that will mellow with some age in the open bottle. Recommend if you happen across a bottle. 

http://breakingbourbon.com/barrell-dovetail.html

I have yet to buy a Barrel product yet, but have done plenty of samples. I have liked pretty much everything I have tried so for. Still debating to buy the 14 year.

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I had a pour of Wild Turkey Rare Breed earlier today. Pretty, pretty good. 

Turkey 101 is the bourbon I grew up on. A pint of 101 and a fountain Sprite is the Texas Football Gameday Drink.

I have the Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary. I'm scared to open it. Its too pretty and supposedly the highest rated WT ever rated, according to several publications.

I have the Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary. I'm scared to open it. Its too pretty and supposedly the highest rated WT ever rated, according to several publications.
That does look cool. How much did you pay for it? It says about 130 MSRP on the internet, but that seems kind of low for a 16 year bourbon.

4 hours ago, ckhorn said:

The reviews aren't great, but I think the Breaking Bourbon guys consistently underrate everything. https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/wild-turkey-diamond-anniversary-bourbon

I buy a bottle of Garrisons every so often just because I want to support an outfit trying to do it he right way in Texas... there is better brown water out there but I want Dan and co to succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1