Bourbon

Jimbaround

I closed the book on Little Book Two. Pretty good. Certainly worth $70. I think there's more of the 40 year Canadian whiskey than you'd think. It doesn't really taste like a rye despite having 8 year American rye, and 13 year Canadian rye in it. 

It's nice drinking something older than yourself. It's rejuvenating. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I closed the book on Little Book Two. Pretty good. Certainly worth $70. I think there's more of the 40 year Canadian whiskey than you'd think. It doesn't really taste like a rye despite having 8 year American rye, and 13 year Canadian rye in it. 

It's nice drinking something older than yourself. It's rejuvenating. 

I have a bottle of the Canadian Club 41 yr and can safely assure you it’s not the dominant flavor profile in Little Book 02.  

Also picked up a bottle of the Old Ezra 7 in trade for a WFE 4 yr rye and would say it’s pretty much the best Barrel Strength on the market for $40.  

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
10 hours ago, ckhorn said:
I have the Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary. I'm scared to open it. Its too pretty and supposedly the highest rated WT ever rated, according to several publications.

That does look cool. How much did you pay for it? It says about 130 MSRP on the internet, but that seems kind of low for a 16 year bourbon.

$130 is right

4 hours ago, The Chrisser said:

Has anyone tried Fire Oak Small Batch Bourbon out of Liberty Hill? I've bought a couple bottles and think it may be the best thing that's being made locally. It's distilled here, not sourced. Supposed to have a tasting room open shortly.

When did you start the distillery?

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 5:25 PM, ckhorn said:

A little store between Slidell and Gulfport. Had PVW 23yr sitting right next to it. The B30 was $239. The 23 was $1,799. We had a nice disagreement to what the MSRP was for the Pappy. I told her around $250 and she claimed they paid over $1,000.  I came back through the next day and it was gone. I got a good deal compared to that idiot. It won't even get you laid. An OFC replaced it for $2,300.

In my neck of the woods you won’t find 23 for under $2300. I’m not saying it’s right, or even that it is worth it. Just that if you want it, be prepared to pony up the cash. Hell, Lot B is getting close to $1000.

50 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

In my neck of the woods you won’t find 23 for under $2300. I’m not saying it’s right, or even that it is worth it. Just that if you want it, be prepared to pony up the cash. Hell, Lot B is getting close to $1000.

User name checks out

Has anyone tried Fire Oak Small Batch Bourbon out of Liberty Hill? I've bought a couple bottles and think it may be the best thing that's being made locally. It's distilled here, not sourced. Supposed to have a tasting room open shortly.

Tried a sample of this a few months ago and really liked it - have finished off a couple of bottles and like to keep it on hand. Good stuff.

19 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

When did you start the distillery?

Ha! Fair question. I don't work there (or remotely in the industry for that matter). I've just been frustrated for a long time with Texas whiskey and was pleasantly surprised to try this one. Hadn't seen any chatter about it so I figured I'd get some opinions from this august group of bourbon aficionados.

I listened to Episode 186 of Bourbon Pursuit. They interviewed a master distiller and “master of maturation” from Michter’s. 

They briefly discussed Shenk’s and they were extremely sketchy on the details. Basically it’s a sour mash bourbon whiskey and it honors some guy named Shenk from the 18th Century. It is not US-1 in a different bottle.  They said it was a “very limited” release. I guess I’m glad I bought a couple bottles. I wonder if I should have bought more, but I have no idea what to expect. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

7 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Fine Gentlemen 

im an idiot when it comes to brown water. What’s the best bottle of bourbon for $50 to $75 or so. 

Thanks in advance 

Easy to find or just the best in that price range? 

Easy to find: Boone County Eighteen 36

Best overall: Old Rip Van Winkle is $60 MSRP. Lot B is $70 MSRP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

went by Spec's on Westheimer yesterday and they didn't have any of the recommendations. Im going to to try the Spec's off Hulen in Fort Worth tomorrow.

just go with angels envy then.  it's a decent, well-respected bourbon, right in that price range, and every specs will have 2-3 different kinds.  you're never going to find the blantons or eht single barrels that were suggested.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

In the other news, that store that shall not be named has single barrel store picks of Buffalo Trace in stock. 

interesting.  my store had a store pick of buffalo trace too, and i'm pretty sure it's not the same one you're talking about.  I wonder if they've offered a special deal recently, because that's not one you usually see store picks of. 

46 minutes ago, thestud said:

Total Wine  selection beats the shit out of Spec's, at least in DFW anyways. Check the TW in Arlington or Hulen. Sleeper is the Goody Goody on Camp Bowie

Yes in ATX Specs is pretty crap for the most part. TW and TL both have better deals and better consistent selection. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Gunters in Austin has 1 ER and 1 Blantons left 

Yeah, I passed on ER there the other day, had a hard time convincing myself to pay the $40 they were asking.  But then I had reverse-buyer's remorse because in reality it drinks like a $40+ bottle and I should have just spent the damn money on it.  Life's too short.

What was the Blanton's running there?

45 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Yeah, I passed on ER there the other day, had a hard time convincing myself to pay the $40 they were asking.  But then I had reverse-buyer's remorse because in reality it drinks like a $40+ bottle and I should have just spent the damn money on it.  Life's too short.

I didn’t mind the $10 upcharge. My other place, I bought some 1910 for $50 but they didn’t have ER. You do what you have to. 

I didn’t ask about the Blantons price. I wasn’t interested in purchasing it. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I didn’t mind the $10 upcharge. My other place, I bought some 1910 for $50 but they didn’t have ER. You do what you have to. 

I didn’t ask about the Blantons price. I wasn’t interested in purchasing it. 

1910 is a pretty, pretty good score right now. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

that store always seems to charge $10 more than the going rate at other stores.  not a gunthers fan.